Introduce yourself

Options

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Helium. I did ITF-style taekwon-do pretty... obsessively... for three years or so in my late teens. Then adult life hit, and my attendance became more and more sporadic. Before I knew it, I hadn't been for months.

Took it up again after a break of ten years, and now I'm two years back. I'm never quitting again!
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Hi. I started karate in my 20's and got all the way to black belt before a bad relationship prevented me from training. Now, 11 years later I am divorced and raising two karate kids. Their dojo was strictly for children until they introduced a Saturday adult class and I was there. I'm still trying to remember all I've forgotten and adjust my muscle memory according to the latest developments in the style. I'm currently training as a green belt but my sensei keeps telling me I need to join the black belt class. I am just not confident enough for that
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @HeliumIsNoble and @Versicolour!

Starting back is tough - one of the toughest things I've ever done in my life too.. Kudos to both of you. It takes guts and serious dedication to make it happen!
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm Elli, 40 - I started karate 4 years ago while living in Okinawa and I immediately fell in love with it. It was a whole new world for me and I loved everything - the training, the people, the whole culture. I reached 3rd kyu and then I had to move countries, so I had to find a new school. I struggled a bit, tried a few styles and ended up in a shito ryu school where I trained for a year or so. Then I got pregnant, had to stop for another year, and for a couple months now I'm back to training. However I now train in kobudo (traditional weapons) - my husband is an instructor and I assist him in his class.

I'm a bit worried I'll forget the katas I've learned in Okinawa and I try to train a bit on them on my own. My hope is that I'll be able to go to Okinawa at some point to test for my black belt - but I still have a lot of work to do until then. And it's not so easy when training on your own (I have to say my husband helps a lot).
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Welcome, Elli! I understand completely about training on your own and the challenge it can create. Mine is a slightly different story, but the bottom line is that I spend 90% of my practice at home, and only train with others once/week.
  • Smile276
    Smile276 Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hello! I'm Smile276 :blush: I just started WuShu a couple months ago, and I love the sport and the people!

I was never really a sporty person, but college is for trying new things :p ... so I'm struggling with putting energy and making my moves quick, but hoping practice makes perfect! Although it's pretty hard practicing in a dorm room ... Trying to eat healthier too, instead of the dorm diet!

加油 to everyone! :smile: :D
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    yea another wushu person! :))))

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Welcome to the group, @Smile276!
  • Faiz031
    Faiz031 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi Brett
    Thanks for reaching out, kickboxer here, now doing Taekwondo. Hope all is well with you all :)
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Welcome @Faiz031! Glad you made it over. What kind of kickboxing have you done, and do you incorporate TKD into it, or is it a separate endeavor?
  • Faiz031
    Faiz031 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for the late reply, I didn’t realise that MFP doesn’t notify one of any responses and only saw this when I checked manually. I did Kickboxing full contact since the age of 13, got to a red belt going for brown when I left Portugal and came to the UK. Sadly no club accepted the certifications from Portugal and decided to start me on white belt again. I then got to blue belt, and moved area. Surprise surprise, the new club did not accept the previous one certs and asked me to start from white lol. I got to blue belt there and then was struck with life problems. About over a year I started WTF TKD.

I still prefer kickboxing over TKD, and although I combine them at home, I am not allowed to do so at TKD, sometimes get told off for using my technique. Finding it somewhat limited, specially not being able to punch, hook, uppercut or touch the face. It’s mostly just kicks.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    @Faiz031 No problem about the reply! I've had a few students who faced problems like you have in regards to cross certification. Personally I always evaluate a person's technique if it's not a compatible style, and offer to place them at the belt level that is technique equivalent.... I've had some that accept the belt rank, and others that prefer to start at white.

You might want to look at some other TKD clubs that are not WTF ... there are many TKD clubs that (ITF, and most independents) that allow punches to the face, and compete in open tournaments that allow it as well... your kickboxing would likely be an asset.

Many independent and ITF clubs will allow cross belt certification (though you may have to learn some new forms before you are allowed to advance beyond it).
  • hf1465
    hf1465 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    I just joined this group today I have been active on MFP for about a year faithfully. I am a 40 year old BJJ practitioner having just obtained my Blue Belt. I have lost about 20 pounds this year and am looking to improve my overall fitness. I am 205 and would like to walk around at 190 but not lose significant strength. I hate (HATE) running but enjoy racquetball as my other sport.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Welcome to the group, @hf1465, and congrats on blue belt - from what I know about BJJ (precious little), that's a big step. Was yours a formal test or surprise belt tying from your instructor?
  • thecraigferguson
    thecraigferguson Posts: 33 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    My name is Craig. I just got my black belt in BJJ (Renzo lineage,) and I have my blue belt in Judo. I have competed in BJJ at every belt level but mostly local tournaments and only a few times per belt. I have only done shiai in Judo. I like to think I am proof that any schmuck can get a black belt eventually. I teach children and beginners 3-5 x per week and train 3-5 x per week. I expect that will go up this year to 5-8x as is typical when I am taking things more seriously.

My weight has crept up and I would like to be in a lower division for Masters Worlds in August.

I like message boards and staying engaged with this one will help me stick to MFP so if any beginners have questions they think I might help with I will be happy to answer as best I can.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    @thecraigferguson Welcome to the group!
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just found this group! So excited!!!

I'm Jen, from San Diego. I am a BJJ Purple Belt. My whole family trains in BJJ, my husband is a Brown belt. My son and I also compete several times a year.

I also follow a Keto diet. I wonder if anyone else finds it beneficial with martial arts. I have taken up Kettle Bells to increase my strength, as I find that I am quite weak when I compete. I'm 38 and get paired up with way younger ladies, that love to use their strength. I'm working on learning how to outsmart them, after all, with age comes wisdom!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    @briteyes Great to have another San Diegan in the group!
  • leanmean2019
    leanmean2019 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I'm Cyndi. I box/kickbox and love it! I have a large amount of weight to lose and was so afraid to try boxing because I was afraid I couldn't keep up. I tried it once and have been hooked ever since. I am new to forums and groups like this, but I have little to no support at home so I wanted to find some peeps with similar interests to draw motivation from.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    @leanmean2019 Welcome to the group! You are in the right place for sure!

How often do you train?