Introduce yourself

Options

Replies

• faerie0506
    faerie0506 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    akatdrake wrote: »
    Good morning all, my name is Andy. I've been practicing BJJ and Muay Thai for just close to three years. Some life circumstances have gotten in the way and haven't been able to train as consistently as I want to. Sometimes will go just for kickboxing, sometimes just for BJJ. Anyway, I am a one-stripe blue belt under Robert Mrotek who is a Cleber Luciano black-belt. I am 34 years old and feel older, I focus mostly on defense as I've found myself not as "fast-twitch" as I would like. Fought once in MMA back in June 2016, won by rear-naked choke in the first round (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBYQsMvAyIA&t=23s, starts at 3:56). I was pleased with the fight, especially with the first-time nerves, but my technique was a little sloppy striking and going to the ground. We were supposed to fight at 145 but my opponent showed at 168. I was not happy.

I have another fight coming up Sept. 23 and hope to improve further. I have always struggled with motivation and accountability, and hope to use this group to help "blog" a bit and keep myself accountable.

Wow, 23lb overweight, that's embarrassing, and really disrespectful to you, the promoters, and the spectators! I'm glad you kicked his *kitten*!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all our new members!

Don't worry if you are just starting out - we have folks here from all skill levels!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Hello to all. My name is Don. I'm 52 years old. I recently started martial arts (BJJ) again after a 17 year layoff. I was one of Carlos Machado's first students in Dallas (1996-2000). It was a blast. We trained on the set of Walker Texas Ranger, then we ended up a health club where we laid wrestling mats down in the racketball court, and finally he got his own school. In 2000, I finished grad school and got laid off. It was now or never in terms of returning to Oklahoma, so we moved to a remote part of the state where my wife's family lived. No BJJ within hours. Then life just happened. Fell into running, then ultrarunning. My back made me stop. Couldn't not find a substitute that really did it for me and I ended up sedentary and about 30lbs overweight.

I make my living on the road. You eat all all of the time and spend a lot of time in your room. I would eat too much and drink. I needed a change. I'm not sure why it didn't hit me earlier, but it occurred to me that I could start training BJJ again. I mean, why not. It's about literally everywhere now days. I'm doing a long term contract in Missouri (I travel home to see my family a couple of times a month) and started in Columbus. There's a Gracie Humaita school there, so why not? The professor there is a great guy. Very welcoming and understanding. Being a middle aged dude who's out of shape will have a different experience than the college boys there for sure. But I had a blast and was instantly hooked (again). I was amazed what I remembered. I thought it would be like starting over, and it many ways it is, but as far as rolling, it mostly came back to me. So much so that there really weren't any white belts who gave me any trouble. So I mostly got tapped by purple belts (always!) and some blue belts. Oh, I'm a blue belt by the way. Carlos gave it to me in 1998 I believe. He wasn't doing the stripe thing for some reason then, so I have no stripes. It's just as well since I'm just getting back to it.

So I guess I'm an itinerant BJJ guy now. I'm in St. Louis for about 8 months now, and there is another Gracie Humaita school here I'm going to check out next week. J.W. Wright is the head instructor. He's a black belt under Royler Gracie. He's supposed to be amazing. My goals are to get better, try not to get injured, to keep showing up, avoid the blue belt blues, and continue to lean out.

As far as other fitness, I'm going to start lifting again next week. I did Starting Strength a few years ago to great effect, so I'm going to do that again. I'll just avoid Rippetoes's advice about drinking a Gallon Of Milk A Day (GOMAD) as that's a ticket to the the fat farm for me! If you're not familiar with the program, it's heavy compound lifts designed for strength, not hypertropy or "toning". Squats, Deadlifts, Press, Bench Press, etc.

Lastly, I'll post an old school photo of me. It was at the 1997 Oklahoma State Jiu Jitsu Championship. I took 2nd in the Heavyweight division. I'm in the red shirt. The kneeling kid on the far right is the now legendary Raphael Lovato Jr, the most decorated American BJJ practitioner in history. Fun fact: I used to train with him and beat him regularly. Of course, as you can see he was only a skinny 13 year old boy at the time! He's a beast now.

OK, I've rambled long enough and I'm sure if you have read this far, you may be tiring of my Rip Van Winkle routine! Glad to be here.158137lq3rb6.png
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you here, Don! I still love that pic of a 13 year old Lovato.

(Don and I are MFP buddies and realized that we have two degrees of separation when it comes to some old training partners.)
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I've been looking, but have yet to find, the selfie I took with Ralph Gracie at his tournament in Virginia back in the day. He's got some ears!
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i really enjoy reading these stories!
  • akatdrake
    akatdrake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Glad to have you back in the sport, Don! :) Don't you just love looking at the faces of people who think they can smash you, only to see them a bit dumbfounded... :)
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    chatvite wrote: »
    I ran my first Tough Mudder half this weekend and I have already signed up for the full next year!

86sbudubh5vd.jpg

Awesome!
  • jafacct6778
    jafacct6778 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Joe and recently earned my 1st degree black belt through ATA Taekwondo. I am near memphis, TN and trying to get into better shape. My 10 year old daughter is testing for her 2nd degree black belt and my 9 year old son is testing for his 1st degree next weekend. I originally started because my kids wanted me to and figured i'd participate with them. after being in it for the past couple of years, i have begun to love it and keep trying to push myself to perform better. I am looking forward to being a part of this motivating group of wonderful people. :-)
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    Hi Joe! I live near Little Rock, so we have ATA folks from all over for their World Championships every summer. In fact, I drive by the new Headquarters every day on my way to my gym.

Welcome!
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    @Bluebell2325 My story is so similar to yours! My daughter started karate about 5 years ago at age 5. She is now a black belt. I opened my big mouth and promised her that I would take karate once she made black belt. her interest was waning at the time, so I thought I wouldn't have to deliver.

well, she made black belt in December. So here I am! But it's been a lot of fun, and I've actually learned a lot just sitting in her classes listening. I've already done a tournament or two, and really enjoy kata. Not so good at sparring yet!

anyway, I practice traditional karate. On my blue belt right now, close to orange.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    BJJ white belt who has dabbled in judo. I want to get my judo yellow belt (mostly to prove to myself that I am over my issues with take downs thanks to a couple of concussions 18 months ago, but also because it is my favourite colour and BJJ doesn't have yellow in adult belts)

I'm 39 and started BJJ when I was 36 (nearly 37) which was my first martial art (unless you count fencing which I did for a few years before that). Sadly I had to choose between fencing and BJJ due to classes clashing (and as fencing was the cause of my torn acl - yes, surprisingly it was bjj in my case).

BJJ helped me lose nearly 25 kgs, a loss I have maintained for 18 months, but I still want to drop a bit more so I can walk around at my fighting weight, which is a healthy weight for me to be.