Sept. Keto Challenge - Join me?

Options
12346»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the delays, all. I don't have much access on weekends. I pinned the October post for y'all, so it's now at the top, above everything else...
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Thanks we're using it and it's easy to find!!
  • bfaithfull2
    bfaithfull2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    9/1: 228.4
    9/8: 228.4
    9/15: 227.1
    9/22: 225.6
    9/29:

Reading through everyone's comments and experiences has given me immense hope and inspiration. Thank you. Really, I mean it. This is my first post on MFP.

I am a 59 yr old woman with diagnosed fibromyalgia for the last 10 years. I took r/x meds successfully but stopped out of concern for the addictive qualities. They worked well for me but they were absolutely addictive and very serious neuropathic medicine. I consciously decided to "take the pain" instead. No meds now. I knew that I would gain weight and fall behind. Ultimately, It is very hard and embarrassing though.

I used to love to run everyday but it became too painful. I was an active person before but it all fell away due to my massive weight gain and crazy pain. It became a vicious cycle. For the last 4 years, I have been an ashamed, hiding mess. I have gained 100 pounds since 2000. It is no secret that I ate a lot of carbohydrates - massive cravings for carbs at night. Somehow, I became a food obsessed person - eating out of boredom. Eating to suppress pain. The upside, regrettably, is that I am now an excellent baker. The downside, also regrettably, is that I ate all the cookies. (I don't bake much anymore now and I'm good with that.)

I officially began Keto on Sunday, September 24, 2017 in attempt to drop some lbs. but, mostly, to dial back some of this pain. Honestly, it's like a science experiment to me. No doctor (and there have been many, many doctors) ever mentioned to minimize carbohydrates. They said to lose weight, exercise and sleep well but never any info regarding carbs and sugars. I have been trying to eat a lo carb diet all summer but now I am committed to buckle down.

So, there it is, I am embracing the Keto eating approach. My prayers are that I can sustain it indefinitely and regain some of my life before it's too late. Friends and family are critical and skeptical but I can handle them. Mostly, I wanted to say that reading people's shared posts is very supportive and uplifting.

(Oh, and today, I ate some bacon.)

Hello, I have never posted before, however I can relate so much to your story. I am 53, also suffering from fibro. I have never medicated for my pain. I also had gained over 100 pounds. I lost my mom last year and was heading in a warp speed downward cycle of depression, pain, and weight gain. I hated everything about myself! I have tried loosing on every other method out there, but would only loose say three or four pounds, then gain back more. So frustrating when you can't move! In December of 2016 I set out to research chronic pain (documented on my fb page "Best Fibro Life) and kept landing on the word "inflamation." Once I decided that was the symptom I wanted to work on, I researched how to decress inflamation. That is how I stumbled upon the Keto lifestyle. Since Jan 7th 2017 I have lost 64 pounds!

Also, want to mention I have found a considerable relief of the pain by doing water therapy daily! When I am surronded by the warm water, my body is weightless and pain free! I only wish that feeling would continue once out of the pool, but knowing I can have some pain free time in my day encourages me to continue my water workouts!

I knew if I approached my family with the "I am going to start eating lots of fat and no carbs diet" I would hear no end of cautionary tales. However, when I approached the subject with my research on chronic pain and inflamation and my plan for pain relief, all I got was encouragment.

I wish you all the best on your journey! My goal was to just feel like part of the world again after isolating myself for so many years! Basically to live my Best Fibro Life!
    Blessings~