Tips on trying to get back here

Options
2»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @solska

Congrats on mustering the fortitude to ask for help. That's a huge step!

OK...

If you can walk by your broom closet and not drink Drano - - - > you can walk by your food closet and not eat chocolates (Candy corn, Twinkies, etc.)

Tips:

1. Tell your brain every hour that Chocolate (Candy corn, Twinkies, etc.) = Drano.

2. As @cstehansen suggests, get it out of your house!

You'll still have some tough sledding ahead (my sympathies!), but it will be easier if you do things with your conscious brain to fool your prehistoric subconscious self.

Good luck & keep us posted.
  • Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Maybe a less restrictive diet would be better for your lifestyle? I couldn't keto, because it was impossible for me to restrict to that level - I also get catered lunches a lot at work, travel often (for work and pleasure), and have an active social life. It just didn't work for me. But I'm doing great on LCHF keeping carbs at 15% of my intake (usually <50-60 per day). I have lots of energy, no sugar cravings, can skip meals, BUT I'm a bit more flexible in social situations. I also don't have an "it's all or nothing" approach, because I'm not worried about knocking out of keto or anything. If I fall off the wagon, I just get back on the train the next day.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Anon2018 wrote: »
    Maybe a less restrictive diet would be better for your lifestyle? I couldn't keto, because it was impossible for me to restrict to that level - I also get catered lunches a lot at work, travel often (for work and pleasure), and have an active social life. It just didn't work for me. But I'm doing great on LCHF keeping carbs at 15% of my intake (usually <50-60 per day). I have lots of energy, no sugar cravings, can skip meals, BUT I'm a bit more flexible in social situations. I also don't have an "it's all or nothing" approach, because I'm not worried about knocking out of keto or anything. If I fall off the wagon, I just get back on the train the next day.

I totally agree with this. I ate <20 carb grams for a year as an experiment unrelated to weight management. After 52 weeks (beginning April 2017) I upped my carbs to 50 total. No cravings, no hunger. I too can skip meals and have plenty of energy. It has been a dream!

In social situations, I don't go over on calories but I am flexible on carbs. Frankly, I think allowing myself the flexibility away from home or on very special occasions helps to keep me on track when at home which is at least 90% of my meals. 7 months, so far so good.
  • kikisf
    kikisf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have the hardest time getting back on the Keto wagon when I fall off but once I am in the mode I find no trouble staying there. I try to remind myself of how much better I feel. What helped me this time was moderating my lapses. 1.) If I lapsed I immediately get back on it the next meal by having a variety of salads and meats standing by. 2.) Picking a lapse food that is healthy like plain yogurt with oats, dates and raw cacao nibs.

The final thing that really helped was watching my electrolyte intake. That tired cranky feeling I had was simply lack of potassium and sodium. I now make a salty bone broth once a week and drink a cup a day. It halts my cravings right in their tracks.

Good Luck!