New Keto-er - What the heck do I order at Starbucks? HELP!!

Options
BrownsFan19
BrownsFan19 Posts: 117 Member
HaHa. While I know this question may seem a little ridiculous,I'm serious for sure. I'm only on Day 3 and it just hit me that I have NO idea how I'm going to not get my Starbucks fix. I am doing the bulletproof coffee, but on the real I'mnot a fan of just plain coffee or espresso. My go to drinks at Starbucks are Soy Caramel Macchiato, Soy Chai Latte and the best Caramel Brulee Latte (which comes back Nov 1st...eeeek!). Do I have any options there that I can actually get?

Replies

• Figaver
    Figaver Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I usually get plain coffee and add one of their sugar free syrups for flavor and half and half. I’m sure there are better options, but it works for me. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that your Caramel Brûlée Latte is going to have to be just a treat and not an every day or weekly thing.
  • BrownsFan19
    Options
    Yes the Caramel Brulee is FOR SURE not going to be a norm, but its so good! I look forward to it every year around the holidays. Ha. I was wondering about the sugar free syrups...I thought we should avoid sugar free things? I could probably so the coffee with the half and half and then a SF syrup.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Well I don't do artificial sweeteners so I can't do any of their syrups but if you are ok with them that opens a lot more options to you.

Personally my usual order is a Venti iced Americano with heavy cream and extra ice. For hot drinks I like a quad espresso macchiato with heavy cream, extra foam. I just finished one now actually! :) You can also get cinnamon, cocoa powder, pumpkin spice, or sea salt on top which adds some flavor but isn't carby like the syrups.

*felt I should add an espresso macchiato is not like a caramel macchiato. It is espresso "marked" with steamed milk (or heavy cream in my case). So I'd you to get it thinking it's going to be like a caramel macchiato which is basically an upside down vanilla latte with caramel sauce. Totally different. This will come in a tiny cup because it's just espresso and a touch of cream.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I do iced coffee with heavy cream or almond milk latte (lower fat, but lower carbs too). Sometimes I do a sugar free syrup if I'm feeling fancy.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Well I don't do artificial sweeteners so I can't do any of their syrups but if you are ok with them that opens a lot more options to you.

Personally my usual order is a Venti iced Americano with heavy cream and extra ice. For hot drinks I like a quad espresso macchiato with heavy cream, extra foam. I just finished one now actually! :) You can also get cinnamon, cocoa powder, pumpkin spice, or sea salt on top which adds some flavor but isn't carby like the syrups.

*felt I should add an espresso macchiato is not like a caramel macchiato. It is espresso "marked" with steamed milk (or heavy cream in my case). So I'd you to get it thinking it's going to be like a caramel macchiato which is basically an upside down vanilla latte with caramel sauce. Totally different. This will come in a tiny cup because it's just espresso and a touch of cream.

Wait--the pumpkin spice doesn't have sugar in it? I thought I looked it up last year, but now that I think about it, that was the holiday spice, which definitely has sugar in it.

I usually order an Americano with heavy cream, but sugar-free syrups sometimes bother me, so I try to avoid them. Plus I just like the taste of coffee. :blush:
  • BrownsFan19
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Ok some of these things may work for me! I just have to get used to drinking them and enjoy them. As long as I have options I think I'm good, but I'm pretty sure if I had to give up Starbucks AND wine I'd just rather be fat. :D:D:D:D:D I used to drink sweet wine, but have transitioned over to drier wines over the past 6-7 months so yay! And I can still enjoy cheese with my wine as well.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually get a plain americano...sometimes I add heavy whipping cream or coconut milk...you can do the same with the iced coffee...and depending on the store they may have a variety of sugar-free syrups you can add...our store at work only has sugar-free vanilla, but many of them also have caramel, mocha, and seasonal flavors in sugar-free varieties...they also have toppings like cinnamon or cocoa powder that you can sprinkle on your coffee.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    You can also get cinnamon, cocoa powder, pumpkin spice, or sea salt on top which adds some flavor but isn't carby like the syrups.

Wait--the pumpkin spice doesn't have sugar in it? I thought I looked it up last year, but now that I think about it, that was the holiday spice, which definitely has sugar in it.

A PSL definitely does, but she's referring to actual spice pumpkin spice, not the flavored syrup:
    I2ilJFx.jpg

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    You can also get cinnamon, cocoa powder, pumpkin spice, or sea salt on top which adds some flavor but isn't carby like the syrups.

A PSL definitely does, but she's referring to actual spice pumpkin spice, not the flavored syrup:
    I2ilJFx.jpg

Yep! It's literally just the spices sprinkled on top :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle, sí puo incontrare non solamente americani negli Starbucks in Italia... Hmm?
  • dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just make sure whatever you get, if it's one of the regular menu items, to ask for No Classic. Apparently they are trained to add a classic sugar syrup to their drinks.
  • jennordhavn
    jennordhavn Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I get a cold brew with sugar free vanilla and heavy cream. Or if I want something hot, I'll get an Americano with sugar free vanilla and heavy cream. Both are delish. I used to love iced soy mochas and iced soy caramel machiattos, but these are both super creamy and delish and I enjoy them a lot.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @AlexandraCarlyle, sí puo incontrare non solamente americani negli Starbucks in Italia... Hmm?

Si, ma non vuol dire che e universalmente popolare.... e i Baristi sono sempre incavolati! :D

I think their main 'lament' is 'se non e rotto, non aggiustarlo!"
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    LOL @AlexandraCarlyle. Your rant made me chuckle. Years ago I stopped by a Starbucks for a small black decaf and was in line behind 2 young girls (high school age probably) who were talking on their darn cell phone...with their young friends...discussing....at great length....every single menu item...trying to decide what they should order.

Needless to say, I don't do Starbucks much after that. Besides, it doesn't fit well with my general boycott of businesses that create highly, effectively engineered, palatable creations to entice the general population to eat/drink in excess.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    The other thing to add is that simply because Italians use it, doesn't justify the extreme creativity... there are people from all walks of life who don't like their country's speciality dishes, or some specific things.... my Italian cousin (who is not low-carb or carb-free) dislikes pasta... my British neighbour won't eat fish 'n; chips. And I bet (although we may not meet many here!) I would be willing to bet there are some who don't enjoy steak or burgers....

Simply because something is 'accepted' doesn't make it right....

Is really my point.... ;)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited October 2017
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    LOL @AlexandraCarlyle. Your rant made me chuckle. Years ago I stopped by a Starbucks for a small black decaf and was in line behind 2 young girls (high school age probably) who were talking on their darn cell phone...with their young friends...discussing....at great length....every single menu item...trying to decide what they should order.

Needless to say, I don't do Starbucks much after that. Besides, it doesn't fit well with my general boycott of businesses that create highly, effectively engineered, palatable creations to entice the general population to eat/drink in excess.

Well bless you for that. I was fully expecting some of my FATP* to tear me a new one.
    I should know better.... everyone on here is really nice! :D

(*Friends Across The Pond)