New Keto-er - What the heck do I order at Starbucks? HELP!!

Options

Replies

• jennordhavn
    jennordhavn Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I am just going to embrace that I am a classless American and enjoy what I enjoy. I like just espresso but if carbs weren't on my radar I would be ordering a peppermint white chocolate mocha and an eggnog latte the second the Starbuck's Christmas beverages were released and I have NO SHAME.

Haha me too! White chocolate is my absolute all-time fave, but it has so much sugar. It is so delish though. I also like sweet wine like moscato....so classless I shall be. LoL.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I would NEVER dare to presume to call ANY American 'classless'. It would be a gauntlet-insult to do so, and I would never sink so low.
    (Although my thoughts regarding some, are my own! ;) )

And as for the bunless burger.... I tend to mix almond meal and ground chia/flax seeds with madly-beaten eggs, season and fry in 2 round egg-rings and then sandwich my home-made burgers in those... if I don't put cheese on the burger, I'll add grated cheese to the egg mix... fry some onion rings and add a crisp green salad with vinaigrette...

Hoping that's an acceptable attempt! :D
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I would NEVER dare to presume to call ANY American 'classless'. It would be a gauntlet-insult to do so, and I would never sink so low.
    (Although my thoughts regarding some, are my own! ;) )

And as for the bunless burger.... I tend to mix almond meal and ground chia/flax seeds with madly-beaten eggs, season and fry in 2 round egg-rings and then sandwich my home-made burgers in those... if I don't put cheese on the burger, I'll add grated cheese to the egg mix... fry some onion rings and add a crisp green salad with vinaigrette...

Hoping that's an acceptable attempt! :D

Sounds acceptable to me other than the onion. I'm anti-onion. Of course I also order ranch dressing to dip my steak into so I'm not known for my refined palate. LOL

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You'll have to forgive me; I'm one of these die-hard Italian women that simply CANNOT understand the attraction of all these convoluted, corrupted and frankly, over-made, over-blown (in my opinion) disgusting embellished so-called 'coffees' that are available through these outlets.
    If I want a coffee, I just want a coffee. If I want an espresso, I want an espresso - that is, no more than three-quarters-of-an-inch of strong black coffee, in a small porcelain cup. If I want a macchiato, I want an espresso with a spoonful of milk foam on the top.
    Forget the fancy caramel, whipped cream, sprinklins, toffee, syrups and marshmallows and any other 'porcheria' these establishments insist on adding, while still daring to call them Italian names...!
    Davvero...?!
    WTF is wrong with a simple cup of coffee and some milk - ?!

And before anyone leaps down my throat defensively, I actually know I'm representing a nation of actually true, authentic Italian 'Baristas' who actually attend catering college for some considerable time to qualify for the title, and who cannot for the life of them either understand or condone such shenanigans. They take deep offense at the bastardization of Italy's national drink, and why shouldn't they?
    Just as cultural appropriation is frowned upon - so, let me tell you, is this.
    Wouldn't it be dreadful if Italians made burgers and claimed to make them better and more attractively than Americans? Can't be done!

Ok, I'm done now. Finito.
    Thank you for your time.

HAHAHA I am a lover of coffee and there is no Starbucks local to me... I view Starbucks as an occasional treat for the drive home when we go to the city. In fact, my daughter knows and literally asks, "are we stopping for dessert"... because that is exactly what it is. Dessert in a cup. Not coffee :smiley: That being said, if I am going to have dessert in a cup, I prefer Starbucks, because the coffee is strong enough to have still a hint of it underneath the sweet...
  • BrownsFan19
    BrownsFan19 Posts: 117 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle ha. I do love your spunk! And your post brought a big smile to my face. But to each their own. I also am Italian and used to manage a Starbucks and also love the sugared up caramely drinks you so despise. So just as you say when you want an espresso, you order and espresso. When I want a sugar filled latte..then that's what I want. The great thing about humans is we are all different no matter our ethnic background. I'm pure Italian and still love starbucks. But then again I am an Italian that is on a Low Carb lifestyle so no pasta for me....How un-Italian as well.

I also don't really like tomato based sauce, so maybe I am a bad Italian. :D:D Bring on the Chicken Picccata and Tiramisu any day though..... YUMMMMMMMMY
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    @BrownsFan19 you're a disgrace to the nation and I hereby excommunicate you forthwith! Oh, the shame!!

(I'm kidding. ;) )
  • BrownsFan19
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle I accept your condemnation and fully accept that I am a disgrace!! :D

However I am an American Italian, so I like to stir the pot! My grandparents came from Italy. Us damn Americans always messing things up!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @BrownsFan19 you're a disgrace to the nation and I hereby excommunicate you forthwith! Oh, the shame!!

(I'm kidding. ;) )

But I truly admire her because she is a BrownsFan and wears it with pride . Thumbs up to that @BrownsFan19. ( @AlexandraCarlyle that is a NFL football reference)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have Starbucks just about every day because it's the only espresso they have downstairs at work...plus, I go there on the weekends sometimes because they always have non-dairy milks available, so if I want to splurge and have a latte, I can without getting sick later...most coffee places where I live are still dairy-only.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

(I'm kidding. ;) )

But I truly admire her because she is a BrownsFan and wears it with pride . Thumbs up to that @BrownsFan19. ( @AlexandraCarlyle that is a NFL football reference)

And THAT'S another THING!! Football! Let me inform you... *tears off on a complete rant on whether it's rugby, football and the difference between football and soccer....!*
  • BrownsFan19
    Options

(I'm kidding. ;) )

Ha. I try to stay as far away as possible in agreeing with Steelers fans, but THANK YOU!! haha. I am a tried and true Browns fan and it is a struggle! I am a fan to my inner core and bark loud and proud every Sunday (well every day actually), but yes I do cry myself to sleep at night on the regular. :'(:'(:'( BUT as they say....EVERY Dawg has its day and SOMEDAY ours will come. Hopefully I'm still alive when it finally happens! Go Browns!

• anglyn1
    Options
    I'm originally from DC so I'm a Redskins fan which is basically one step above the Browns...though @BrownsFan19 might not agree! LOL

In actual truth when it comes to coffee Starbucks is my pick for hot drinks but Dunkin dark roast iced coffee with cream only is my one true love. I have at least one a day nearly every day and have for over 2 years now.
  • dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I'm originally from DC so I'm a Redskins fan which is basically one step above the Browns...though @BrownsFan19 might not agree! LOL

In actual truth when it comes to coffee Starbucks is my pick for hot drinks but Dunkin dark roast iced coffee with cream only is my one true love. I have at least one a day nearly every day and have for over 2 years now.

A DD iced latte with extra sugar is one the guiltiest of my guilty pleasures...
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    @BrownsFan19 My husband was raised in Cleveland. It's a burden you all bear your whole life, and me by extension..... lol
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    This Sunday is your chance @AlexandraCarlyle. Cleveland Browns vs Minnesota Vikings. Twickenham Stadium. Twickenham, England. Y'all must like our football over there...

I like Starbucks too. I just hate waiting in line for a plain old decaf. @anglyn1, we're headed to WV this weekend for a Halloween Party and the best part of the drive is stopping at the WV Travel Plazas for Starbucks. I think we've missed the fall leaf spectacular in the mountains. :(
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    vo5gre2bq953.jpeg
    If I want a coffee, I just want a coffee. If I want an espresso, I want an espresso - that is, no more than three-quarters-of-an-inch of strong black coffee, in a small porcelain cup. If I want a macchiato, I want an espresso with a spoonful of milk foam on the top.
    Forget the fancy caramel, whipped cream, sprinklins, toffee, syrups and marshmallows and any other 'porcheria' these establishments insist on adding, while still daring to call them Italian names...! Davvero...?! WTF is wrong with a simple cup of coffee and some milk - ?!
    I’ve become a coffee purist but I didn’t start out that way.

Now I love a black coffee (a little salt in the grounds though) and at coffee shops I get an americano.
    This was mine and a friends coffee a few days again at a place in Dayton Ohio we met at.
    Mine is Americano and she had the cappuccino.
    They were both great!
  • anglyn1
    edited October 2017
    Options
    60usogpgshdb.jpeg
    x2u5umkfk0yu.jpeg
    This Sunday is your chance @AlexandraCarlyle. Cleveland Browns vs Minnesota Vikings. Twickenham Stadium. Twickenham, England. Y'all must like our football over there...

I like Starbucks too. I just hate waiting in line for a plain old decaf. @anglyn1, we're headed to WV this weekend for a Halloween Party and the best part of the drive is stopping at the WV Travel Plazas for Starbucks. I think we've missed the fall leaf spectacular in the mountains. :(

We've still got a few left. I took these Sunday!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I'd actually love to go see that game... I'm hoping it might be televised, because although my folks used to live in Twickenham (seriously - just down the road from the Twickenham Rugby Ground!) I now live over 200 miles away. Bit of a trek for one game....

(Once a year, the ground would be hired by Jehovah's Witnesses and they'd hold a week-long massive rally and open air services. We'd get at least 5 knocks at the front door a day, for the week's duration....!)

The Twickenham Rugby Ground is locally affectionately known as 'The Cabbage Patch' because during the war, the wide open space (before it became a prominent land-mark and world-famous stadium) was converted into allotments for locals to grow their own vegetables to feed the community as part of the war effort. There is a Pub in Twickenham now called 'The Cabbage Patch'...
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    To keep the thread on topic, the Cabbage Patch has a great restaurant and they also serve excellent coffee.

*Ahem!*
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've always thought of most Starbucks drinks more akin to a Milkshake than coffee but to each their own. I usually just get regular coffee with half and half maybe a little Stevia but otherwise nothing else. I might try heavy cream one of these days and see how that goes. I drink all tea with out sweeteners and only with lemon. I've actually gotten a taste for non-sweet drinks. Someone served me sweet iced tea instead of non-sweet iced tea the other day and it tasted absolutely horrible (returned it) and I used to be a major sweet tooth.

I know that quitting sweet drinks has curbed my appetite for junk food a great deal.