Weekly Post - 13.11.2017 - 19.11.2017

Options
Meghan509
Meghan509 Posts: 1,964 Member
Good morning everybody!

Here is the new thread!

Feel free to add a post. Sorry for the late start. Had (another) computer issue this morning. LOL

Back soon. Hope you all are well! Happy Monday!

Replies

• Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning all!

Hope everybody is doing well today for a Monday. :)

I had a nice weekend. Greek salad and vegan lentil soup this week for out light day meals. Next week will be a much needed 5:2 break from the fasting. We will still be exercising though! Looking forward to a nice Thanksgiving meal. Sure wish I knew what we were bringing. Still waiting for a response on that. Sigh...

Saturday I started the weights at the gym. That went well! I was able to get through everything in around 45 minutes or so. Even a little less. Yesterday I did my typical cardio routine, so today is back to the weights. My upper body is very sore. My lower body not so much. Abs are a little sore but my legs are fine. So I think I am going to change up the weights for my legs. I didn't want to over do it and not be able to walk. Hopefully I will still be able to walk tomorrow if I change up those leg exercises tonight. :o

Today is a fasting day. Drinking some water and a green tea. Next week while I have a little time off, I am going to work on figuring out some new lunch salad or soup recipes for future 5:2 weeks. Lunch is where I have gotten really bored with our salads. Time for some change. Will be sure to share some stuff with you guys.

Saw a great comment from @jknight001 over the weekend about what we say about specific foods and meals and how talking about certain foods might be uncomfortable for some people. I think everybody chimed in that they were okay with everything said here, but in case anybody didn't have a chance to speak up or if anybody wants to chime in further feel free. :)

That is all for now. See you guys soon!
  • Meghan509
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @ryenday I wanted to answer your question from last week's thread on what exercises I ended up doing.
    This is a screen shot from MFP of the machines I used. I did three sets of 12 for each. Not sure why it came through as 3 for one of those - will fix that.
    Should be biceps, triceps, chest, shoulders, back, and some legs. Hope I am not missing anything.
    I also did abdominal crunches with no weight. I am going to change up the leg exercises tonight and do abs at home to save time. :)

oxi6rltjxpet.jpg
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Nothing much to report. It's a light day for me. I'm eating some chili (not homemade), which is about 240 calories, so about half of my day's worth of calories. That's fine - I have only had coffee and water otherwise, so I know what I can eat for dinner and still be on point. Thankfully the Halloween candy is dwindling to stuff I'm only "meh" about, so that temptation is going away :)

I hope everyone has a great Monday!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Oh, and how's this for a good food-related story? I think I've mentioned before that I do online grocery shopping, where I pull up to the store, they load up my groceries, and I pay and drive away. I placed an order on Saturday, picked it up, got home, unloaded my groceries, and began making sure I got everything I ordered and paid the right price, etc. It's happened that items have been missing (whether I was charged for them or not), and the store always takes my word for it and makes it right. (Note that I'm honest to a fault and wouldn't take advantage of this, though I'm sure some people do.)

I notice that there's a bag of mini sweet peppers at the top of one of the bags. OK, that's happened before where I've gotten a random item that I didn't order (sometimes it's a mistake, and sometimes it's a free sample of something). I pick up the peppers and notice two huge heads of broccoli underneath. Below that is asparagus. I look at the label on the bag, and there's someone else's name on it. The bag next to it also had that same name on it.

It turns out they gave me two bags of someone else's groceries. Thinking how I would feel if two bags of my order were missing and, of course, wanting to do the right thing, I called the store and told them what bags from that order were missing as well as what was in the bags. I told them that I didn't feel right keeping the items (and simply live too far to drive back - I go out of my way to shop with them) but to let me know what they wanted me to do with them. I suspected they'd say to keep them because I don't think they're allowed to sell them after I had possession of them, and I was right. They said to please keep or donate the items. Thankfully that customer hadn't picked up her order yet, so they were able to replace the items that I received instead of her.

Long story short, I got a whole grocery bag full of fresh fruit and veggies and another with a whole ton of (expensive) chicken sausage and organic American cheese (mmmm, grilled cheese). I estimate it all to be about $30-$40 of free groceries! Too bad none of it was Thanksgiving food that would keep until next week, but I won't look that gift horse in the mouth ;)

But seriously, is this the universe's way of telling me to eat better?
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    RBXChas wrote: »

But seriously, is this the universe's way of telling me to eat better?

Actually, your interpretation is you telling yourself to eat better? Maybe?

Nice boon! The chicken sausage sounds particularly intriguing.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Fast day for me. Been particularly hungry today but not sure why. Drinking herbal tea today along with @Meghan509. It is nice to have to keep me company until the fast day is over.

Thanks all for responding to my informal survey on talking about food. You are the best! I would summarize it by saying that the regular posters have no problem mentioning specific foods but are happy to make accommodations for others who tempted by it. I did not see any dissenters. If there are any lurkers who would prefer not to mention specific foods they will need to de-lurk themselves and speak up. In the meantime, we can all continue on as we have been doing knowing we are in agreement. :smile:

@ryenday - Just want to tell you not to get discouraged about your weight loss. I added strength training when I first started back on 5:2 and didn't lose a thing for a couple of weeks. Then I began to drop again. So give it some time to see if your body is still adjusting. And thanks for letting me know how you implement HIIT. It was helpful to me.

@meghan509 - Great workout! You will be looking buff in no time.

@RBXChas - So glad to read you were able to keep the food. That would have been poor customer service to make you haul the groceries back to the store. I think this is telling you to throw in some pasta and make Pasta Primavera with sausage on the side. :lol:

Wishing you all a great day! Attending a Thanksgiving brunch in the morning. The holidays are certainly upon us.
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Well, Monday is almost over and I am just getting a chance to sit down. Yesterday was an unexpected fast day. I had a terrible migraine and the thought of food was just horrifying. So I took advantage and made it a fast. I am going to try to get three in this week since it didn't work out last week. Also, who's brilliant idea was it for me to work with children? I need to smack them. Hard. *realizes it was me... smacks head into the wall... feels woozy*

@ryenday In regards to your low loss, stress can do bad things. Hormones, too. I have also found that when I am stressed, the power surges are worse. My supplements help tremendously. I hope you feel better, soon.

@RBXChas I am super jealous! And also, how does that online shopping work. We have a couple of stores in my general area that do it, though they are a little bit of a drive. Is the stuff always what you want? What if they are out of something? I have thought about trying it, but haven't known anyone else that has tried it before.

@Meghan509 You go, girl! My biggest workout, besides the 10,000 or so steps I get at work, is walking the dog down the alley and back.

I hope all the Monday fasters had a great day!
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I fasted today unexpectedly! Well, just under 600 cals but I’ll take it. Woohoo! I’m trying lentil dishes and turmeric cauliflower and made up some sort of dish tonight that my hubs wanted no part of!!! His loss!

Last weeks post someone asked (sorry I forget who) about fire tea.... I found that recipe on Pinterest! Hot water with pinches of cayenne, cinnamon and turmeric with one grind of pepper! It’s got all kinds of reasons why it’s good for you.... I sometimes add a slice of fresh ginger too. I can handle only so much tea!

Gotta run but keep up the great work everyone!!!!!!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody!!

Loving our little group here. You are all a great group of ladies!! Just want to say that in case you forgot! :) We welcome guys too, lurkers feel free to chime in - we don't bite LOL.

Thanks for the feedback on my weight workout! I am very excited! The only thing that bugs me about MFP is that it doesn't give me exercise calories for my weight workout. It is not that I eat them back, but I like to see that I was there and I earned them. Boo. So, what I do is I update my status for my own record keeping mostly. When I input the workout in MapMyFitness it says that with 45 minutes of weights at my current stats I could be burning around 400 calories. So that is nice. I am using MFP's sister app, MapMyFitness to show my workouts since it will sync with a tool my office uses to give points for workouts, steps, etc. It turns those in to gift cards supposedly as you accumlate enough. We shall see. Not holding my breath, but if I can earn free stuff for going to the gym I am certainly going to try because I do go! LOL

@ryenday thanks for the feedback on my weight plan and THANK YOU for suggesting it for me a few weeks ago when I was at my crossroads and feeling meh. I really appreciate that! <3 Definitely time to shake things up, and now that I am doing it I am really liking it! I see a lot of women on the weight machines which is cool.
    I am intrigued on your sets and reps! Now I am going to read up more on it. I was following an old way that I did from years ago. I find it interesting!

@RBXChas wow on the grocery delivery story! You did the right thing about calling and letting them know about it. Probably right about how they couldn't resell it to someone else since you had been in posession of it. But, that sounds like some nice food. I like @jknight001 's suggestion of the pasta primavera! Yummy! Or you could make some omlettes using the veggies, sausage and cheese. Could even do omlettes for dinner! Or you could maybe add some of the sausage to a Thanksgiving stuffing? Or grilled cheese, like you said. Yummy! I am making myself hungry. :#

@jknight001 @KateNkognito thanks for the nice comments on my weight workout!

Hope everybody that was fasting had a good one yesterday. Mine day went well. Wasn't really hungry which was cool. I like it when those days happen! Last night's soup / stew was tasty. One more Light / Fasting day and then we will take a break next week. Looking forward to a little refresh.

Going to fill up my tea cup with some green tea and sip some water. See you soon!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    how does that online shopping work. We have a couple of stores in my general area that do it, though they are a little bit of a drive. Is the stuff always what you want? What if they are out of something? I have thought about trying it, but haven't known anyone else that has tried it before.

When I place my order (which shows what's in stock at the chosen store as well as what's on sale), I choose a pick-up window. They need at least four hours of lead time, so I can't order it, say, when I'm about to leave work and go pick up on my way home. They call me when the order is ready, and if there are any items that are out of stock, they will substitute it with a similar product and price match. For example, if I order store brand sour cream, and they're out of stock, they'll give me a name brand sour cream in the same size at the store brand price, or they'll give me the larger store brand one at the price of the smaller one. If there's any question as to whether I'll be OK with a substitution, they will call me before the order is finished and ask. It's rare that they can't find me some way to substitute an out-of-stock item for, but they always do their very best to substitute.

As for produce, I'll place my order and put any specific requirements (like please make sure the raspberries aren't mushy or moldy) in the comments section of my order. If I have any issue with the produce that they pick, they refund my money and give me a new product on my next visit, if I want it. Any issues I have, they almost always give me a $10 credit on my next order. That happens maybe twice a year.

It's a paid service, $4.95/order, $16.95/month (unlimited), or $99.95/year (unlimited), though they have usually quarterly promotions waiving the $4.95 fee. They have weekly specials that only apply to these orders and usually have an item that is free that week for online orders. If that free item is out of stock, they always give it to me for free on my next order. Occasionally they throw in samples, too. This past spring they gave me a bunch of Gain detergent pod samples, which was awesome because I used them on vacation. Honestly it more than pays for itself for me. I've also gotten lucky enough to combine the free or mega cheap items with Ibotta to have them be moneymakers. (I don't have time to coupon, but Ibotta is mega easy.)
  • ryenday
    Options
    @RBXChas that service sounds simply fantastic!
  • ryenday
    Options
    A successful fast day today, but man I’m worn out.

@Meghan509 the bodybuilder who used the lots of sets but only 2/3 reps was someone Hepburn, if you are interested in a different approach, or just some more info. I think with my disabilities it is a fantastic approach to minimize form problems and maximize safety - but not sure it is a good approach for many folks- especially as it can take LOTS of time to run through the sets. I try to be efficient ( leg set, then arm set while I rest legs) but it still takes extra time.

G’night y’all!
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    The children were much better today! But, then again, I had a ridiculous amount of tiny chocolates, so that may be clouding my judgment. :D Planning on fasting tomorrow and again on Saturday. I STILL don't know if I am making Thanksgiving. Husbands! (Sorry, gents)

I have started little monthly tweaks to my life. This month: vitamins and skincare. Sounds odd, but I think if I look better and have better nutrition, I will be more inclined to keep rolling with harder tasks. Last month was getting back on track with fasting. Next month is going to be finishing my self-help book. Then, starting some sort of exercise.

@RBXChas Thanks for the information. I might just try it out!

@mamainthekitchen Woo Hoo for the unexpected fast! The fire tea intrigues me. Off to find the ingredients in my cabinet.

To everyone else, have a great day! Happy fasting!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Good Morning yesterdays fast day went very wrong so it will not be mentioned again. I started back on the weights on Monday almost 8 weeks post pace maker insertion, you are meant to be very careful for six weeks, and it went well, but I was sore yesterday and even sorer today. I have 2 routines that I alternate, then take the 7th day off it has worked well in the past and I do not feel that I want to change them. I use high rep low weight as I do not want to build big muscles just very efficient ones. Off to the hospital this afternoon for a cardio checkup, so a slowcooked something ready for when we get back.

I am fine with any foods being mentioned, I just miss some of them occasionally.

• Meghan509
    Options
    Hi all!

@RBXChas yes that service does sound fabulous! We have a friend who lives in NYC and she uses something like that. Awesome service! Very reasonable price too. Our Stop & Shop market has a service like that called Peapod that a lot of my friends and colleagues use. Heard it is quite good. They will give you a delivery window to your home with stuff, or you can pull up to the store in to dedicated spots and they will come out to bring you your stuff. I think they run specials too on how much it costs.

We have so many markets by us and we go to two or three markets a week :( at times, so we prefer just to go in person. We will do a regular super market like Stop & Shop or Shop Rite in our case, then Trader Joe's - each week on either Saturday or Sunday. Keep meaning to stop in to Whole Foods (AKA Whole Paycheck) LOL to see if their prices have come down at all on stuff we buy since they merged with our beloved Amazon.com. Then once or twice a month we will pop in to Costco to pick up stuff like our yogurts, coffee, organic milk, our turkey and cheese for our sandwiches on regular days, etc. So for us it is easier for us to do our shopping ourselves. In our case, all of these stores are within a mile or two of one another. And surrounding us. LOL We don't have kiddies, we have time and wheels. But, I totally get using the delivery services if things were different! :smiley:

@KateNkognito good for you and I can relate. I have been getting on track myself with vitamins and skincare. I wash my face each night before bed and apply a night cream or a mask and I have to say my skin looks pretty good for 45! Also, a silly thing I bought on Amazon.com has helped me greatly with taking vitamins each day is a day to day vitamin case - the kind that older folks might pick up to organize all of their pills! (My Mom uses one)! What I do is I put my vitamins in it, for the week. My regular vitamin is THREE little pills, plus I take calcium, magnesium, and a baby aspirin, etc... I find it helps to put everything in a little weekly container and then I throw it in my lunch bag and then I'll remember to take my vitamins with my lunch.

@Marmitegeoff nice to see you and hope you are feeling well. Sorry about yesterday's fast. Hope the next one is better. Good information on the weights. I agree that I don't want to get bulky, just want to tone. Will see how this schedule works out for me and will make changes as needed.

As far as the strength training goes, my upper body is still a little sore but my legs not so much, so that tells me that I need to up the weights for my lower body some more. Definitely a learning process! Tonight I will do weights again. Tomorrow I will have to miss my cardio workout for the week unfortunately. I have a hair appointment after work. Still planning on exercising Saturday through Thursday (depending on what time we go to our friend's house for the holiday) even though I will be taking a 5:2 break next week.

See you guys soon!
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    Today's fast day didn't go as planned. Work craziness and a really yummy birthday cupcake got in the way. :p Oh, well. I will try again another day. :)
    @Meghan509 I have one of those pill sorters. I keep it next to the bed and I have a bedtime alarm set for my children and when it goes off, I take my vitamins. Very convenient... unless you forget to refill it... for a month. :/
    @Marmitegeoff Nice to see you back! It must be nice to be able to get back to your regular stuff. :)
    Off to catch up on some reading. Happy fasting!
  • ryenday
    Options
    I’m having planning upsets - lol.

Remember me? The gal who has outlined her diet with footnotes? I keep ending up with unplanned fast days.

Now, that is fantastic, great, love it stuff... except it throws my schedules off. Lol, no ramifications for the blown schedules except to make me unsettled and need to grocery shop earlier than planned... ironic tho!

Vitamins: I’m doing pretty well with my vitamins and fish oil etc. I probably remember them 6 days out of 7.

Oops I’ll be back soon!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody!

Hang in there, we got this! Got to roll with the punches and take it day by day right? I am still up a pound on the scale but since I have changed my workout up I am not going to stress. Also going to miss my cardio workout today so maybe I will walk over to the Mall at lunch, maybe I won't since it is a little rainy out here. Looking forward to a haircut and highlights after work tonight!

Vitamins! I am going to start taking fish oil next, since I have read up on how good it is for us gals and since I have been good about taking vitamins lately and not just buying stuff and letting them sit on the counter or cabinet. Have done that many many times... :p No shame in my game. LOL

Okay, let me share my slow cooker mashed potatoes recipe, that I am going to make for Thanksgiving. I keep getting interrupted and it is getting later and later so let me share and hit reply! I am planning to make these with 4 ounces of cream cheese and a few shakes of garlic powder added. (Saw that in another recipe and it sounded nice).
    It is a holiday so a few extra rich calories are okay for that day, in my opinion... Also bringing fresh green beans with lemon zest, butter, salt and pepper, and my Mom's homemade pecan pie for our Thanksgiving contribution next week. :)

Talk to you guys soon!

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/slow-cooker-mashed-potatoes-recipe/
  • ryenday
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I will 5:2 next week but I will not count calories on Thanksgiving day. Many of my family members make a special dish or dessert and both socially and personally I feel an indulgence day is a wonderful idea. I will let my stomach limit my eating – but I plan to try most everything at least one bite.

I usually do a savory (chipotle) sweet potato dish and crockpot stuffing. I try to make stuffing because my family here in Texas seems to think that corn bread stuffing is appropriate for Thanksgiving day. It certainly is not

ARRGH
    It ate my post! My fault I put a :-) after that last sentence.

So I will just end it short and sweet here and say y’all are the greatest! Here’s wishing everyone an easy and happy fast day!

And Meghan I highly recommend fish oil supplements. And I would be very interested to know what vitamin supplements people take