VeronicaMarie27 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    SW: 173 | GW: 145

12/3: 163
    12/10: 158.9 (healthy BMI!!!!)
    12/17
    12/24
    12/31

Goals for this month: be as CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to goal weight for my first wedding dress fitting on Dec 26th.

Also somewhat non-scale victory for me, as my weight is now officially in “healthy BMI” range (I was in “overweight” territory for about three years, but kept saying it’s because of muscle)!!!! And MFP tells me I am 53% of the way to my goal weight!!!! WOOOO HOOO!!!!!!
  • trillionblue
    trillionblue Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Christmas dinners month!! Gonna be a bumpy ride....
    Dec. 4 - 70.4 kg (155.2 lbs)
    Dec. 11 - 70.1 kg (154.5 lbs)
    Dec. 18
    Dec. 25?

• Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    dgreene37 wrote: »

SW 11/26 278

12/3 275
    12/10 272
    12/17
    12/24
    12/31

You're doing awesome! Keep it up!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    claralair wrote: »
    Well, I have to say, I'm disappointed. I have followed the woe and when I weighed myself yesterday, it read 218, but this morning, I'm back to 219 plus six ounces...I'll keep at it, but it's a little discouraging.

12/3: 221 lbs
    Today: 219 lbs
    12/10: 219.6
    12/17:
    12/24:
    12/31:

Don't be discouraged. I can tell you from first hand experience, even being post-menopausal hormones STILL fluctuate my weight monthly. How's that for a kick in the pants?!! It never ends!! :s Hang in there... I also usually bump up a bit for a day or two before a whooosh.
  • OnlyDragonQueen
    OnlyDragonQueen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    SW: 296
    Last weigh in since Joining: 12/01: 287 (-9lbs total)
    12/05: 283.6 -3.4lbs (-12.4 lbs total) Totally forgot to weigh on the 3rd.
    12/09: 282.6 -1.0lbs (-13.4 lbs total) Celebrating my birthday with family on the 9th, so decided to weigh prior to eating cake.
  • NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    @OnlyDragonQueen Happy Birthday!!
  • OnlyDragonQueen
    OnlyDragonQueen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    NikkiJRM wrote: »
    @OnlyDragonQueen Happy Birthday!!

Thanks :) Celebrated a few weeks early (Dec 30th) due to schedule constraints but it was still a great party. All my favorite foods and a German Chocolate cake which most definitly does not fall into Keto approved lol.
  • valleygirl74
    valleygirl74 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'll be home tomorrow 12 December. Haven't found a scale on my travels but will report tomorrow.

Many congratulations @Jigglypuff00!!! And congratulations to @Marcelynh, as well! You are both an inspiration! In fact, all of you out there give me hope! (China, I hope that you are hanging in there. It will get better.)
  • TheMerryMermaid
    TheMerryMermaid Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    December challenge 12/11 weigh-in: I've gained!
    I knew I would when I agreed to have my family take me to an Italian restaurant for my birthday on Saturday night. C'mon, I'm not going to restrain on my birthday.
    I tested myself (urinalysis strips) and yup, I was negative for ketones the next morning. I didn't even bother to weigh myself on Sunday, but I did get right back into keto eating. This Monday morning I'm 182.25.
    Additionally, my stress levels have skyrocketed and I know that's affecting the scale.
    I plan to get into the water this morning and get some movement in and spend some time relaxing in the dry heat sauna (love that). Not sure I'll lose my 10lbs this December, but I'm disciplined and reasonable, considering everything.

Have a happy week everybody!
  • ltlJohn
    ltlJohn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    HW: 165.6kg
    SW: 160.1kg
    CW: 155.5kg

12/3: 160.1kg
    12/10: 155.5kg
    12/17:
    12/24:
    December 31st:

My goal for December is to track my macros daily and stay on track with Keto 100%

12/10 - Overall a good first week. Not really any cravings, just a bit of energy slump mid-days.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Wow! Congratulations! How did you feel during and after?

It really helped that I read the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" before doing the race. I was well prepped as far as refueling and keeping my electrolytes up. Keeping up the electrolytes really made a difference. I HATE gatorade and those gels they hand out so I used a low-carb electrolyte (Nuun) that doesn't taste gross to me (disclaimer: my son hates Nuun flavors, and some of them are pretty nasty I'll admit but the berry one works for me) in addition to my water. I ate some pickles at a couple of water stops and then my husband gave me a couple of fat bombs at the half-way mark. I really could have gone the whole thing without refueling.

As to the low-carb affect on my performance. I was not out for speed and didn't try to go fast. I was in for the finish, not any specific time (since there was a 100 mile race going on at the same time we all had a 30 hour time limit.... so no worries there). Everyone had told me to be ready for the "bonk" or "hitting the wall" and I saw a LOT of people do just that at about 20 miles. They were dragging. I never ran out of energy. I mean never. I did get some tight muscles from continuous movement that was always the same but I never felt like I couldn't go on or that I was out of energy. I stopped and stretched twice but just kept chugging along. I did a run/walk cadence. And honestly I ran 1/3 of the race and walked the other 2/3. And I stopped and took pictures of the alligators and the pretty scenery. And I got a picture with Santa and the Grinch (costume contest) I met my son along the course twice (he was doing the 100 mile race and finished!) and he said he was amazed how great I looked at the 22 mile point. The muscle tightness was due to the fact that this course was totally flat. The entire course, so there was no changing of muscles used or any variety, that really gets to you. It was a dirt course (trail run) and that made it nicer on the hips and knees of this old lady but the mud was a killer the first time around, was like slogging through glue. Thankfully it dried out a bit by my second round.

So after the race.... was tired, more because I got up at 4 am to get to the race. Napped on the drive home since my husband was driving. Climbed stairs, no problem, went to a family birthday party, played with grandkids, slept well. No problems. Not sore at all and plenty of energy.

Things I learned. I was so determined not to get out of ketosis due to all the food/refueling options they shove at you at the aid stations that I didn't eat anything but the pickles. I should have/could have eaten carbohydrates during the race due to all my exertion. I usually test trace or small with the urinalysis strips for ketones. After the race I was so dark purple it was almost black. Then in the middle of the night I had nausea and light-headedness. I realized it was because I had way too many ketones, perhaps headed to ketoacidosis... so my husband, sweet man, got up and went and bought me some carbs (we have almost none in the house). I ate six Oreo cookies and actually downed two tablespoons of pure sugar. The dizziness subsided but the nausea continued a bit. Had orange juice and half a biscuit with my breakfast and that set me straight. Then last night I had coconut cream pie and even with all those carbs I am still in strong ketosis. So.... my thinking is that I should have eaten more carbs out on the course if I wanted to and it wold have prevented this scare. Excess exercise really puts out the ketones. :) The book had said I did not need to refuel at all, and I think that's true as far as energy. But for my body I did need to take in something. So if there is ever another one I will take a few of those min-pumpkin pies. lol I think this would depend upon each individual and how their body adapts to exercise and carbs.

So for those people who tell you that you can't do high intensity or long distance on keto... they are wrong. If you are prepared, and I mean PREPARED, by being in firm ketosis for a few weeks before you start you will be fine. But if you haven't been fully fat-adapted for a few weeks I'm not sure it would work well as your body will struggle to find what fuel it is supposed to use. If interested, read the book. It's good information. technical, but good.

I think I'll stick with my half-marathons from now on. But I know that I can do a full now!

And for the mind-blowing race event.... the guy who won the 100 mile race did it in 14 hours! That means he ran about an 8:20 mile for 100 miles! He blew past me once and I was just in awe. To put in in perspective, my son, who had trained well for the race finished his 100 miles in 29 hours, I think the average time was in the mid 20 hour range.... I can't imagine doing 100 miles, let alone in 14 hours!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options

Starting weight 204
    Goal weight - 145
    12/03 - 155
    12/09 - 153 (after the marathon.... knew it wouldn't last. lol but hey, I wanted to see the number in print lol)
    12/11 - 155
    12/17
    12/24
    12/31
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    2j1j488nanb7.jpeg
    Finished my marathon! It was actually a long course, just under 28 miles. Not fair I had to do extra.

@Marcelynh - So awesome that you could and did! <3 Congrats!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    11/30 201.6
    12/03 202.8
    12/10 199.6!! ONEderland Baby!!!
    12/17
    12/24
    12/31 (PLEASE BE UNDER 200 LBS! I'm under 200 lbs!!!)

51pnmd3qo2rm.jpg

@Jigglypuff00 - Congrats!!!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all that @Marcelynh. Interesting about running on the flat. I never considered the benefit of varied terrain in regards to using different muscles thus giving others the opportunity to rest. I have a friend training for a Triathalon at the beach and my thought was at least the run will be on flat land. Hmmm might not be the benefit I thought! A big congrats, again! A marathon or even a half is not something that would ever even contemplate. I'm really amazed at the number of people who do these events yet is is still a very small % of the overall population. Big pats on the back to you!
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Wow! Congratulations! How did you feel during and after?

It really helped that I read the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" before doing the race. I was well prepped as far as refueling and keeping my electrolytes up. Keeping up the electrolytes really made a difference. I HATE gatorade and those gels they hand out so I used a low-carb electrolyte (Nuun) that doesn't taste gross to me (disclaimer: my son hates Nuun flavors, and some of them are pretty nasty I'll admit but the berry one works for me) in addition to my water. I ate some pickles at a couple of water stops and then my husband gave me a couple of fat bombs at the half-way mark. I really could have gone the whole thing without refueling.

As to the low-carb affect on my performance. I was not out for speed and didn't try to go fast. I was in for the finish, not any specific time (since there was a 100 mile race going on at the same time we all had a 30 hour time limit.... so no worries there). Everyone had told me to be ready for the "bonk" or "hitting the wall" and I saw a LOT of people do just that at about 20 miles. They were dragging. I never ran out of energy. I mean never. I did get some tight muscles from continuous movement that was always the same but I never felt like I couldn't go on or that I was out of energy. I stopped and stretched twice but just kept chugging along. I did a run/walk cadence. And honestly I ran 1/3 of the race and walked the other 2/3. And I stopped and took pictures of the alligators and the pretty scenery. And I got a picture with Santa and the Grinch (costume contest) I met my son along the course twice (he was doing the 100 mile race and finished!) and he said he was amazed how great I looked at the 22 mile point. The muscle tightness was due to the fact that this course was totally flat. The entire course, so there was no changing of muscles used or any variety, that really gets to you. It was a dirt course (trail run) and that made it nicer on the hips and knees of this old lady but the mud was a killer the first time around, was like slogging through glue. Thankfully it dried out a bit by my second round.

So after the race.... was tired, more because I got up at 4 am to get to the race. Napped on the drive home since my husband was driving. Climbed stairs, no problem, went to a family birthday party, played with grandkids, slept well. No problems. Not sore at all and plenty of energy.

Things I learned. I was so determined not to get out of ketosis due to all the food/refueling options they shove at you at the aid stations that I didn't eat anything but the pickles. I should have/could have eaten carbohydrates during the race due to all my exertion. I usually test trace or small with the urinalysis strips for ketones. After the race I was so dark purple it was almost black. Then in the middle of the night I had nausea and light-headedness. I realized it was because I had way too many ketones, perhaps headed to ketoacidosis... so my husband, sweet man, got up and went and bought me some carbs (we have almost none in the house). I ate six Oreo cookies and actually downed two tablespoons of pure sugar. The dizziness subsided but the nausea continued a bit. Had orange juice and half a biscuit with my breakfast and that set me straight. Then last night I had coconut cream pie and even with all those carbs I am still in strong ketosis. So.... my thinking is that I should have eaten more carbs out on the course if I wanted to and it wold have prevented this scare. Excess exercise really puts out the ketones. :) The book had said I did not need to refuel at all, and I think that's true as far as energy. But for my body I did need to take in something. So if there is ever another one I will take a few of those min-pumpkin pies. lol I think this would depend upon each individual and how their body adapts to exercise and carbs.

So for those people who tell you that you can't do high intensity or long distance on keto... they are wrong. If you are prepared, and I mean PREPARED, by being in firm ketosis for a few weeks before you start you will be fine. But if you haven't been fully fat-adapted for a few weeks I'm not sure it would work well as your body will struggle to find what fuel it is supposed to use. If interested, read the book. It's good information. technical, but good.

I think I'll stick with my half-marathons from now on. But I know that I can do a full now!

And for the mind-blowing race event.... the guy who won the 100 mile race did it in 14 hours! That means he ran about an 8:20 mile for 100 miles! He blew past me once and I was just in awe. To put in in perspective, my son, who had trained well for the race finished his 100 miles in 29 hours, I think the average time was in the mid 20 hour range.... I can't imagine doing 100 miles, let alone in 14 hours!

@Marcelynh - with strips in the dark zone for ketones, that's far, far more likely that you were dehydrated and low on electrolytes. Because the strips measure what is wasted...if you're producing and using ketones, there wouldn't be much waste, but dehydration causes darker strips, headaches, nausea, the works.

Personally, I think it's more likely that the carbs made you retain the fluids you were taking in...and that contributed to bringing you back to balance. You probably did have some protein to glucose conversion to refill your muscle stores/liver stores - and therefore have some carb needs, though probably less than you consumed... But this is a guess based on the experiences others have shared and reading/research I have done.

Regardless, it sounds like this was an excellent test of your ketone fueled racing! Congrats... And continue experimenting with fueling - I bet you'll find that sweet spot! :)

EDITED TO ADD - huge congrats to your son, too! That's amazing - I can't even imagine!!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    December 1st: 250.0
    12/3: 249.4
    12/10: 248.6
    12/17:
    12/24:
    December 31st:

I'm thinking I need to re-evaluate my goal this month. I'm struggling with motivation and although I'm not tempted by non-keto foods, I'm finding logging such a chore and I've over indulged in social drinks two weekends in a row. It's my staff party next weekend and vacation after that. I think a more realistic December goal will be to maintain my weight and not gain. I can get back to the grindstone when holidays are over. I'm feeling disappointed at the scale this week but it's a reflection of my choices/priorities. Oh well!