Santa Sprint! Week 1 (12/1-12/7)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
edited November 2017 in Social Groups
There's a statistic that's always going around that something like 25% of people will gain weight between Halloween and New Year's. It's Holiday season. We're busy with work, school, get-togethers, and shopping. It's easy to just say to heck with it and cave. And wake up on New Year's Day and looking in the mirror, unhappy with what extra weight we've gained. It happens to the best of us.

Last month we focused on the basics in an effort to avoid gaining during a hectic time of year. There's lots of treats around. But many of us managed to hit our goals and not gain. Some of us even lost a few pounds, or gained insight into our own patterns when faced with pressure.

Planning ahead and keeping an eye on the basics are two of the most important focal points if we want to keep on the up and up in the face of all the junk and goodies rampant this time of year.

This month we are again going to focus on the low-carb basics. Again. :lol: They really are so important to success. And keeping tabs on them reinforces good habits that will serve us through our weight loss journeys and beyond into Maintenance Land.

We are going hardcore and going to sprint for 31 days! We'll be Nose-to-the-grindstone, pre-planning, LC bada$$es!
x69c43gbdy8r.jpg

Some people choose to handle this time of year completely on-plan, supplementing low-carb recipes for all our bad-ol' favorites.

This may not be realistic for some. After all, there are many temptations in our faces this month. And a lot of celebrations. What I have done in the past was pick 1 or 2 events that were most important, enjoy them that day, and the next day was immediately back on track. No guilt, but no excuses. Every other time, I planned ahead. Eat before going to a carby event or bring plan-approved goodies. I actually lost weight in December of 2014. It can be done. Every other year I have easily maintained.

You can pick either strategy, but in this challenge monitoring our plan Basics and becoming a Master Planner are what makes the difference.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

I really can't parrot that cliché formula enough. Because it's true.

Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and/or beginning weight, or if you are just planning to maintain through the month, or have NSVs to achieve, check-in daily or weekly with how well you did.

The Basics:
Planning ahead!!!
Staying under carbs
Staying under calories
Logging and measuring
Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
Getting enough water
Planning ahead!!! Oh, wait. I said that already? Yes, I frickin' did. Because this is the holidays! You must!

This thread will be stickied to the top of the Group, with links inside to the weekly threads. So if the weekly thread gets buried in our busy little group, you'll be able to easily find in in the sticky.

Share recipes, problems, thoughts.
So tie your sneakers tightly folks and prepare to own the Santa Sprint!
We are DETERMINED to maintain, and maybe even lose, this year.
We are DETERMINED to not let December run rough-shod over us, right?
We CAN do this.

To give you and idea of possible check-in entries here's mine:
Monthly Goals:
To work on losing that rotten, stinking, evil, no-good, complete PITA 5lbs I've been trying to get rid of and to keep up with my exercising despite all the holiday interruptions.

Friday,12/1:

Water: Yep. animated-smileys-christmas-042.gif
Electrolytes Good: animated-smileys-christmas-042.gif
Logged Food: animated-smileys-christmas-042.gif
Exercise as Planned: Strength training animated-smileys-christmas-042.gif
At or Under Carb Level: animated-smileys-christmas-042.gif
At or Under Calorie Limit: Yes! animated-smileys-christmas-042.gif
Planned Day Ahead: Yes! animated-smileys-christmas-042.gif
7/7

Weekly Trees of Christmas Awesomeness Collected:
2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif

Feel free to go ahead and post your goals today if you're wanting to look ahead.
To get a feel for how this works, check out one of the weekly November challenge threads, but up in the blurb is a sample daily check-in and sample goals.

Challenge starts tomorrow. See you then. :wink:

Replies

• __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif

Yay!! I'm ready!!!
    My strategy is tight, on-point keto for all days, with the exception of 12/24, 12/25 and 12/31 - where I will allow "keto friendly" drinks, maintenance calories, and a window of 50g carbs instead of my usual 20 :)

We can do it!!

• billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have been slacking off on my keto/lchf eating for a while. I decided the other day its time to get back on track. Crazy huh get on board as the holiday season starts? Its just time. Going to stay under 20g carbs, 70 to 75g proteins and eat enough fat to make up the rest of my 2000 cals a day. I almost forgot...lose 10 to 12 pounds between now and Jan 1. Current weight 249pounds
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    The challenges keep me on track and more honest about my food and activity than I'd be otherwise. I need to sleep on what my goals and plan for the month will be.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    In!
    -lose 5lbs.
    -under 30gm carbs/day
    -drink water(I tend to forget and eat when I am really thirsty because I have misread my body).
    -continue with 3 days weights, 3 days cardio/week.
    -Christmas Day and boxing day(family gathering at each) will be off days, back on track after that.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Wow I can’t believe it’s already December! Merry, merry everyone!

This month I’m REALLY getting back to bare bones basics. My goals are:

Carbs <50
    30 mins of moderate to heavy exertion every day

I’ve been letting myself slack off the “real” exercise by focusing on my steps and the weekly activity minutes accrued on my Garmin. I’m still going to wear it but will manually account for my exercise.

I will, however, be spending the 24th and 25th in Vegas. @baconslave, do you have room in your suite?

• baconslave
    Options
    animated-smileys-christmas-057.gifWelcome to the challenge!!!animated-smileys-christmas-057.gif

Tear it up!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Apparently when I'm not in my daily office routine, I can't remember my water or vitamins. So those are in my list LOL.
    80 oz water
    Daily vitamins
    50-60 carbs/day
    1400 cal or less/day
    Be more active, make gym plans with others!
  • 2508ralph
    2508ralph Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi newbie here.. fell of the wagon big time in November
    Goal for December
    Weight- 3 kg loss (that's what I gained in novemember)
    Carbs-less then 50 gsm
    Calories -1200
    Water 2.5 litres
    Train x 4 a week
    Explore keto more-rather then wing it.
    Looking forward
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I've been waiting for the beginning of a month to jump into a challenge... I always seem to miss it. lol I finally remembered on the 1st of a month!

Plan for December:
    1. Maintain 20g or less of carbs through Dec. 10th. Running a full marathon on the 9th and don't want to kill my fat burning ability and bonk mid-race.
    2. Maintain less than 30g of carbs the remainder of the month
    3. Stay within calorie goal - 1385
    4. Meet sodium and magnesium goals
    5. Drink more water - 2 liters minimum
    6. Add 20 new low-carb/keto recipes to my personal keto recipe book
    7. Maintain weight. Loss is always nice but I'll settle for maintenance this year
    8. 11,000 steps daily
    9. stretch two times daily
    10. PT exercises DAILY (no pain anymore but no strength due to shoulder surgery)
    I know it seems like a lot but hey, I'm a list person.... :)

Here's to a successful December!
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hi Sprinters!

Dec 1
    HIIT. 32 mins
    Carbs. 41

Wow, that really looks like a lame list :)
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Hi Sprinters!

Dec 1
    HIIT. 32 mins
    Carbs. 41

Wow, that really looks like a lame list :)

Looks a lot better than the embarrassing one I should post but am not going to... 32 mins of HIIT is awesome in my book!!
  • Chillycatmum
    Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am jumping back on board, after 2 months of major falling off the wagon, my goals are:-

Carnivore (less than 5g carbs and only from animal kingdom and dairy)
    Back to 2litres water per day
    Walking at least 5 times a week

Thankfully haven’t put a huge amount of weight back on starting the month at 18st 12lbs - hoping to lose a stone (14lbs) by the end of December
  • baconslave
    Options
    About to make 100 cookies and 60 deviled eggs for a church thing one of my teens volunteered us for. After this weekend I should be able to spend half a second in here and post. Ugh!