December Delights!

Options
UncleMac
UncleMac Posts: 12,995 Member
edited January 2018 in Social Groups
Oh, the weather outside is frightful but the fire is so delightful!

Now that the days are short and the lines at the stores are long, the usual holiday feasts are coming...

Stay the course, folks! Stay calm and MFP on!!

Merry Christmas!!

Funny%2Bsanta%2Bclaus%2Banimation.gif

Replies

• allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Summer in Mauritius. Coming home to winter 12/9
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Well I for one am going to be less of a hog this season. Hard to believe this year is almost over.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    Rowers have a thing, the Holiday Challenge, sponsored by the Concept 2 rowing machine company. The idea is to row 200,000 meters between U S. Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve (inclusive). For me, that requires a moderately intense 40-50 minutes, 6 days a week, more or less.

I haven't done it in a couple of years - not really sure the Evil Knee is up to the relentless every-day-ness (especially on days that already have a spin class), though the individual rowing sessions taken alone are very manageable. Still, post weight loss, the silly knee is a little more accommodating.

What to do, what to do? ;) Can't decide. Hmmmm . . . .

So, thus far, I'm keeping my options open. That means - I guess - that I'm doing it until Evil Knee says I can't. I'm 10 days in, at 84,350 meters, taking my first day off. I might take 2 off, as my 10th/11th day progress benchmark is only 71,430, so I'm a little ahead.

You'd think this would let me bank some calories for the holiday, but sadly it seems to be making me absolutely ravenous. SMH.

Merry Christmas! ;)
  • UncleMac
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Rowers have a thing, the Holiday Challenge, sponsored by the Concept 2 rowing machine company. The idea is to row 200,000 meters between U S. Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve (inclusive). For me, that requires a moderately intense 40-50 minutes, 6 days a week, more or less.

There are a few Concept 2 rowing machines at my gym. I often use one for a warmup.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »

There are a few Concept 2 rowing machines at my gym. I often use one for a warmup.

If you do 200,000 meters of warmups by midnight 12/24 (and log them on their site), you get a PDF certificate online, you get a very small commemorative pin in the mail, Concept 2 donates a tiny bit more money to one of several worthy charities (you get to pick), and you are . . . tired (the latter is maybe only me ;)).

Totally worth it, right? ;)

Rowers are nuts.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    iq853kyk816u.jpeg
    My oldest grandkid, Tucker turned 11 today. We went shooting. He’s a good shot for a young man, consistent 8,9,10 rings at 50 yards with both my 22 and 22-250 rifles.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I haven't done it in a couple of years - not really sure the Evil Knee is up to the relentless every-day-ness (especially on days that already have a spin class), though the individual rowing sessions taken alone are very manageable. Still, post weight loss, the silly knee is a little more accommodating.

So, thus far, I'm keeping my options open. That means - I guess - that I'm doing it until Evil Knee says I can't. I'm 10 days in, at 84,350 meters, taking my first day off. I might take 2 off, as my 10th/11th day progress benchmark is only 71,430, so I'm a little ahead.

You'd think this would let me bank some calories for the holiday, but sadly it seems to be making me absolutely ravenous. SMH.

Merry Christmas! ;)

Egads. My usual rowing session is 5000-5500m, ~24:00-26:00. I can't imagine doing that 40 times in...uh...30something days. 2ish times per week is about all I can handle in addition to my usual strength sessions. (And here I thought I was in decent shape. :'( )
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Merry Christmas! ;)

Egads. My usual rowing session is 5000-5500m, ~24:00-26:00. I can't imagine doing that 40 times in...uh...30something days. 2ish times per week is about all I can handle in addition to my usual strength sessions. (And here I thought I was in decent shape. :'( )

LOL! You're doing well, and rowing a faster pace than I do this. :) You're in very decent shape, based on your pace. But you're very kind!

Conditioning is sport-specific, of course. I'm a rower, on the water usually 4 days a week in season. The Challenge is a stretch for me, especially on spin class days, but this is my sport. I usually do 4 x (10' on, 2' off) plus a short cool-down, about 9km or so total, 5-6 days a week, to get the challenge in. Currently at 120,410m and counting.

I'm 100% sure even attempting one of your weight workouts would defeat me from the starting line. ;)
  • Farback
    Options
    Great to see you happy Unclemac. She looks like a nice lady. Keep her away from firefighters. We is irresistable and all.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Great to see you happy Unclemac. She looks like a nice lady. Keep her away from firefighters. We is irresistable and all.
    I will be careful to avoid the kind of places where firefighters hang out... firehalls, grocery stores, that kind of thang...
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 You go my friend! Excellent rowing. And yes, the more I exercise, the hungrier I get. And @UncleMac and @jofjltncb6 Wow and row on!

@UncleMac great pic!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    mk2fit wrote: »
    @UncleMac great pic!
    Thank you. I still have work... too soft around the waist... but it's nice to be able to get a picture taken and not cringe at the result. Mind you, with my new girlfriend on my arm, it's easier to look good. lol
  • allenpriest
    Options
    HOME
  • UncleMac
    Options
    HOME

Welcome back!!
  • Farback
    Options
    HOME
    Welcome home. Going to share some pics of the dark continent?
  • allenpriest
    Options
    Home! Mauritius is certainly African. But it is an island 1200 miles off the east coast beyond Madagascar in the Indian Ocean. So there's not much "continent" about it. :)
  • allenpriest
    Options
    But we went from 86F to 24F. Brutal change
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Beautiful pic UncleMac :)