Cathartic Thread For Injured Runners, er support for managing injuries. ;-)

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    The dog nipped him then bit and ran off. Its minor. It did break the skin and a gave him a puncture. I dont think anything will come of it. It's just to have record of the incident, hopefully no one else will get bit.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2019
    Options

Day 3. 68.5 hours post op

Did not skip my nighty pain med dose and yet i am still in unwanted pain this morning. Okay. Morning pain is the worst, I'll add that tylenol to it.

Dh is gone out of town today. Good, cuz i think he needed it, hes been so grumpy. Ill have to get mt own Tylenol and figure out how to get some coffee and grub today. I don't notice that the sewlling has lessened yet.

This little cat is a monster. Running through and over everything, dumping every food dish just taunting me that i shan't clean it up. Nothin profound to report for day 3 (more kibble drops to the floor-cringe). I cant feel the rod in my leg. I can feel the nails, or it is at least where It's swollen and tender where the nais are. I can feel where the bone cut it, everytime i sit or a demon cat runs across it. My hip aches, outside to groin. I rub it but theres nothing to rub, it appears to be radiating pain.

I bet you all wanted a play by play of femur osteotomy recovery (more kibble dumped). Jeez.

Kitten chasing kibble
    ibzxspb0p0rw.jpg
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    That kitten is trying to entertain you @Elise4270! I still think you should teach him(?) to fetch or do some other tricks, wear out his little brain :)
    I can only imagine that pain from having a bone cut and screws put in is excruciating! Could you take something like Aleve instead of Tylenol so you don't have to take so often? Or is the Tylenol the prescription one?
  • Elise4270
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    That kitten is trying to entertain you @Elise4270! I still think you should teach him(?) to fetch or do some other tricks, wear out his little brain :)
    I can only imagine that pain from having a bone cut and screws put in is excruciating! Could you take something like Aleve instead of Tylenol so you don't have to take so often? Or is the Tylenol the prescription one?

No NSAIDs. They cause gi bleeding but also doesn’t allow for bone growth since it’s an inflammation response responsible for the regrowth. The Tylenol is rx with hydrocodone and I dug out my last rx from surgery and it’s Tylenol 3. A bit less acetaminophen in it, that allows me an additional otc dose, which works well. Im hoping i won’t run out of pain meds.

This little turd hasn’t left my side. He likes to ride on my shoulder, sleep under the covers with me, farts a lot (gah!), and doesn’t mind sharing my lunch.

I’ll concede that the bone pain is right up there. I get winded getting up to the bathroom or kitchen. I noticed my gums were grayish last I got up, fairly pink laying down. I suppose I might have lost some blood. So, I’m not overly anxious to be up.

I am able to move more. Some of the swelling must be down. I’m a bit stir crazy. But seem to lack the attention span to do homework or watch Netflix. I’m still sleeping a lot.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Day 4.

I feel like I'm logging my chronicals lost at sea...

Pick a day 1-3 and repeat. Although the AM pain is better. I suspect at some point, 2 or 8am i didnt have to wait the full 4 hours for pain med, hehe and actually got an extra early dose. Thanks spring forward.

My house is so dirty. No one cleans. I may have to rectify this with a phone call Monday.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @elise4270 - glad the pain is easing up a bit. When do get to start regular PT?
    Thanks for the explanation on NSAIDs - I knew Aleve helped with inflammation but had no idea it would hinder the bone regrowth but it makes sense.

Get someone to help with the cleaning... DH, DD? Or hire someone. You need to be resting and sleeping and training the kitten!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I've been running DH. I asked dd for lunch yesterday, she opted against fetching me something. But i think I'll ask her to drive me to class tomorrow or I'll just miss it. I dont think i should go since I'm still in considerable pain and sitting for 2 hours is probably not going to be tolerated. Dh opted not to take me to church, said i didn't need to go (guess he finally realized i was a saint). Dd will usually clean for me. Poor dh has done everything so far, even cat boxes.

No pt that i know of. I have some exercises from the pt folks before i left Baylor. I was trying to do them, but decided to get pain under control first. I can't help but to do some of it ya know, those muscles want to engage. And some motion helps loosen the joints up. The pain is evolving. Was dull and achey now seems more sharp and concise.

I see the surgeon the 19th. Wonder if ill ne allowed to run by then... 🤔🙃

The only thing this kitten has learned is "food". He growled at dh last night when he shared a piece of bacon.

Anyone wanna see my wicked scar?
    rvq8rsys9gwr.jpg
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm back here again...

This time, it is because I had my gall bladder out. It was really bad and I had 3 painful attacks in 4 days. The surgeon and I talked beforehand and she gave me the option of trying to wait until after my races in April. It didn't look that bad on the ultrasound. Based on being in tremendous pain for a good portion of the time over the last several days, I didn't think I could wait until April. I know I can't run immediately after surgery, but she understands and says she put an extra stitch in it. Also, when it came out, it was much worse than the ultrasound indicated. It was so bad (warning, graphic description of gross stuff):
    the bile inside my gall bladder was so think and dark that it looked like stool

I'm glad I got it taken out and I don't plan to run because I don't want to bust the stitches. I have the following races that I'm going to at least try to finish still:
    4/6 - Hogeye Marathon - Springdale, AR
    4/13 - Flint Hills Trail Marathon - Manhattan, KS
    4/20 - Double Chubb 50K - Eureka, MO
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Good luck @midwesterner85 . I hope you shouldn’t be down too long. The worst is that belly gas pain.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Day 5. Hangin' tough, e'cept when the meds wear off.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Knee pain so far is the worst today. I woke up this morning with zero pain and continue to have short moments (sleeping) where the pain is zero. Here’s hoping we’re taking a turn for the better! I massaged my leg last night hoping to push some fluid around and relieve some pain. Maybe it helped. I wanna go swim. The thought of cool water and the buoyancy sounds enjoyable.

With the state laws not allowing me a refill on rx narcotics unless I physically go in to the physicians office, I may be forced to taper off of these and endure the pain. I’m not supposed to drive on narcotics (no one should), it’s 4-5 hours down there and back and I don’t think I can make the trip alone without the likelyhood of significant pain that is not controlled by Tylenol alone. (I could stomach an ill advised Advil) DHis working. Dd isn’t comfortable driving in Dallas traffic. So... bye bye drugs. I have 2 days left at max dosage. I’m thinking if I can stretch that to 3, I might be fine without more.

I had the most invasive phone call from what was supposed to be my health insurance company. Asking if I had support, need questions answered and so forth. I felt it was none of their business, just pay the bill and butt out. You’re not my doctor.

@midwesterner85 How’s that belly pain? I had mine out on a Monday. By Friday I (gingerly) push mowed our (small front) lawn. I found the more you can get moving, after 2-3 days, it improved quickly. Mine just quit working, apparently it’s a thing on my fathers side, none of the women have gallbladders. (I know your not a woman). Glad they got yours out before it ruptured. My grandmother died that a way.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Pain is improving at a rapid pace. This is day 3 since surgery.

My first gall bladder attack was somewhere around 2008 or 2009. There have been signs and symptoms periodically over time, but it seems like it has really be getting worse over the past 2 years. All of the indications had been brushed off as something else (liver test results explained by running, for example). The surgeon said the bile inside was so thick and dark that it looked like stool. I'm remaining on antibiotics for this week. But I'm otherwise seeing some quick improvement, so I'm happy. I won't run for another week until I go back for a follow up on 3/18. At that point, hopefully I'm released to get back to it. For now, I'll continue recovery.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Day 6

Comparable to day 4. I’m hoping my pcp of 20+ years is able to hook me up. I have meds for today, perhaps tomorrow if I can stretch it and tolerate pain above a 5 today. Another well meaning obstacle in drug control that only punishes the innocent strikes again.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @elise4270 - I hope you can get it figured out! Pain is miserable and they have made it really really difficult for those that really need some help to heal. I am kind of surprised that they didn't give you 10-12 days worth. I can't imagine having what you had done and not having something for longer then 5 or 6 days...

@midwesterner85 - It sounds like you are healing well and I am really glad they caught it in time! Hope you are able to get back to running soon and can do your planned races.

I saw the PT today and got 'casted' for my new orthotics. Its gonna be 2-3 weeks before they are in so in the mean time I can keep running as I have been with the metatarsal pad he gave me. I am planning to start my HM plan next Monday but it is an 8 week 'newbie' plan even though I am not a newbie. Not the Hidden beginner plan but similar. This one starts out with runs similar distance to what I am used to and I choose it specifically because it has all the elements I wanted and the mileage is not crazy. I do need to get some hills in as my race in May is pretty hilly so I am thinking of some trail hills that aren't too far away to get to.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Yay @shanaber ! Now orthotics! Hills!

I think the new laws are a weeks worth of narcotics. I see my pcp today, hopefully he'll be able to help. I'm unsure that he will legally though. Well see.

I've resigned to the next 6 days just sucking. This is how poeple od on Tylenol, nothing else to take and no pain relief. (I wont be taking them, they dont help). I thin dh is willing to take a day off and go to dallas for me, if needed. Dd said she'd do it but hated the thought of navigating downtown... So, if she still willing, i could take the last of my meds and go with her, so she doesn't get lost. But gah. 5 hours in the car? Nevermind that. Oh well. So much for getting addicted to pain killers. Woe is me.

Alright day 7 (minus 2 hours).
    Established lack of pain meds a problem. Found if I take meds and don’t move for 6 hours, I am in manageable pain. The second I move, it’s over. I walked without crutches to the kitchen to put up my coffee cup and soup bowl up last night. It wasn’t pretty, but I did it. Yes, I am allowed all the weight I can put on the leg-no limits. It’s got a rod in it, and by now that fracture should be nitted some (or so the internet says). I have lab tonight. Think I’ll miss another class. Next week is spring break, so I should be good by then to return. I do have strong grades, and it shouldn’t be a problem to pull them back up once I, erm get off pain killers, to be able to focus on stuff. Dh said they are probably why I have no attention span and nod off easily. Yes, and sleep is a place of no pain, with narcotics... dh says I sure talk about them a lot, like I like them. Duh... leg hurts dude. No I mean, it really does hurt. For real hurt. Rod, bone cut, nails? Can I put a nail in your bone? Just one?

Just a warning. I’ve found that me, in pain, creates a very angry person. So if i really do have to go a week off them, i may steer away from the forums until it passes. Someone may wanna confiscate my phone, because I’ve had urges to txt work folks.

So...... what’s on Netflix? I watched After Life. It was funny and dark. I don’t think I fell asleep through it very often. Made me think that perhaps I could score some street drugs for this pain... (Ah im being onry).
  • Elise4270
    Options
    *angelic sounds emanate from CVS*

PCP can in fact give me a refill.

I enjoyed getting out today. Left the house at 0940 and its 1203 at CVS. I am ready to get back, but seeing the outside world for the first time in a week has been nice. Its nice out, a bit wet but I'm up and out. And there are blooms on some of the trees.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Yay for your PCP and CVS!! Also for getting outside, even for just a little bit!

Was wondering if you have messaged your class instructor letting them know why you haven't been to class or lab? Maybe they could send you any assignments and you could do them over spring break? Then for sure you wouldn't be behind. Do you think you will be mobile enough to go back after the break?
  • Elise4270
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Yay for your PCP and CVS!! Also for getting outside, even for just a little bit!

Was wondering if you have messaged your class instructor letting them know why you haven't been to class or lab? Maybe they could send you any assignments and you could do them over spring break? Then for sure you wouldn't be behind. Do you think you will be mobile enough to go back after the break?

One class is online. I wasn’t going to bother mentioning it, since I could just work ahead. Turns out this weeks assignment is MFP diary and exercise based. So.... I can’t do any exercise. Did the assignment but never heard back as to the instructors opinion on my lack of participation.

Told the other 2 classes. One has hw online. I have it. I’m just missing lab practicals and tests, yikes! The other class, I think will just be make up work, I don’t know that she ever assignes hw or I’ll gimp to her class tomorrow.

I changed one cat box, includes the floor around it with pp spray and paper towels, vacuumed the throw rug and took my road bike back to the garage. Then napped about trading it for a bike I couldn’t ride easily because it was too big, and yellow? Love my green bike. WTH brain. Oh I made a pee wee Herman joke earlier, bet that’s it. (The kitten is pee wee. He use to pee every where, he’s small, and I keep changing his name every time I call him “Hee Hee”. Everything’s a game to him). Pee wee got to go outside today! He resembled a scrawny little squirrel with a fluffed tail running sideways attacking leaves.

I didn’t do much, but it sure was exhausting. #FemoralOsteotomy

I wonder why the narrative voice in my ‘ead is British? We all should speak British.

• Elise4270
    Options
    Day 8.

I text dd for a cup of coffee in exchange for a little grey kitty. She asked if I needed anything else, drugs? since i am in expletive pain this morning. I informed her that I’ve already taken them. She chortled “already building a tolerance, eh?”. “No. I did too much yesterday “... oh man what if I am building a tolerance...

I’d planned on making it to class tonight. I figure if I rest up, I should be fine to go. It’s on the first floor too so I shouldn’t have to wait embarrassingly for a one floor elevator.

Really nothing more to report. The swelling seems to be going down. And the side of my leg is yellow from bruising.I have a headache from the wind blowing all the allergens around. I thought it be opportune to open a few windows yesterday and air the house a bit. Forgot about allergies. Yay! I have rx allergy med to take! Hehe!
  • shanaber
    Options
    How were you feeling later today? Hopefully better after having done too much (vacuuming? seriously??). Also did you actually try to go to class?