Cathartic Thread For Injured Runners, er support for managing injuries. ;-)

Options
Elise4270
Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
There seems to be too many of us lately.

Anyone interested in sharing their road to recovery? Check in often! Let it all out, we'll get through this and be stronger runners.

Yes I'm chronically injured. I haven't had much time building upwards in my 3 years of dedicated running.

I'll try not to prattle on.... My injury started as DGS, (think piriformis syndrome with an expanded definition) that was a long road of recovery, 9-12 months post op.

Now I'm working through ITBS and trochanteric bursitis. Surgery scheduled Jan 25th of '18.

My struggle is finding the balance between being active and being smart. I can't be both. I can... I can...I will :wink:

Tell me how you do it!

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    It's a learning process. The frustrating thing is, there is no bell ringing when I get it right. There is only pain when I get it wrong.

Right now, I'm a bit down at having a long rehab for a quad injury that showed up just as I was about over the posterior tibial tendinitis. Ran 2 x 1 mile easy yesterday, and it seemed to go okay. Sent a summary to the sports doc in email, and he's supposed to give me an assignment for today. So far, I haven't received a reply.

But the non-reply isn't bothering me, because I know the correct answer. Jogging up and down the hallway to time the eggs, the quad bothered me. Didn't bother me enough to not jog for 2 minutes, but bothered me enough that it's clear today needs to be a rest day. I have an appointment tomorrow morning, so it doesn't really matter if I don't get an email reply before then.

Longer term . . . I need to limit mileage to less than I had been running, and I need to tone down the volume of speed work from what I had been doing. The open question is, *how much* do I need to cut back? Learn by trial and error, with the errors being painful.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    My first couple of years running I was constantly dealing with injury. I got a pelvic stress fracture that sidelined me for 7 months, then a year later what may have been a stress reaction or may have been osteitis pubis limited my running for another 5 months. About a year later I developed chronic hamstring issues. I kept running with that, just more slowly and with no speedwork for the next few years. I was able to build my running base, do some HMs and then 3 marathons, and I thought I had the hamstring healed. Now that I've started training for a spring marathon, the hamstring issue has returned, with a vengeance, accompanied by a lot of gluteal pain. It's frustrating because I can't rest - and besides rest doesn't seem to really do a lot for hamstring pain. Running slow and easy helps, and avoiding hills, but I'm training for Boston, so I need to be doing hills. I'm not sure what I'll do about the speedwork. I had hoped to improve my time, but I don't want the next four months to be a constant painfest.
  • Elise4270
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @spiriteagle99 I have bilateral hamstring tendonosis and it definitely cuts into my ability to do much running. I plan on seeing a PT after surgery for the ITBS, and will try to have it addressed then. I'm hoping that ultrasound therapy will help heal it. I just keep getting worse.

Good luck with it. I hope it resolves before Boston.

If you find something that helps, please share it!

ETA Have you done a gait analysis?
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @hanlonsk Love that you have a potential name for your ailment and a plan!

Diggin' the Santa hat. So very festive!
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    @hanlonsk - If you can't get insurance coverage for the bracey thing, see if you can get a precise brand, name, and size for it then look on Amazon. My podiatrist put me in a boot for posterior tibial tendinitis. The sound track at the medical supply store was, they could submit $160 to my insurance then charge me $160 because I wouldn't meet my deductible; or they could ignore insurance and charge me the $110 over the counter price. I went with that, then later found I could have had it delivered by Amazon prime in 2 days for $42 to $49 depending on size.

If I'd known what I was shopping for, it literally would have been cheaper to buy it myself and not tell the insurance about it.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Love the new thread. I hope I'm visiting just to lend my support. Tweaked my calf this morning. I was about 3.25 miles out on a 7 mile run. It felt more like a pull or cramp but its the same calf muscle I tore running my marathon back in October. I slowed my pace, stopped and stretched and finished the 7 miles and now it's hours later and I still have discomfort. Last week I was able to get in 4 good runs with good pace and no issues so I am wondering do I push through gently, or shut it down and heal. Tomorrow is an off day with cross training on the elliptical. I'll leave the final decision to how it feels after sleeping on it tonight and if I exercise after exercising tomorrow.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Saw the doc again today. He was worried about how poorly my test run went. Gave me instructions to not run for a week, not even the 2 minutes while my eggs cook. Sent me out for x-rays to check for a stress fracture in my femur, said he'd call if there was a problem. No call, and I don't see anything on the CD I got that looks like the exo-callus that showed up on my foot x-rays when I had a stress fracture; so I'm hopeful that means I'm only dealing with soft tissue. But there's still a nagging doubt because I'm not trained in reading x-rays.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Saw the doc again today. He was worried about how poorly my test run went. Gave me instructions to not run for a week, not even the 2 minutes while my eggs cook. Sent me out for x-rays to check for a stress fracture in my femur, said he'd call if there was a problem. No call, and I don't see anything on the CD I got that looks like the exo-callus that showed up on my foot x-rays when I had a stress fracture; so I'm hopeful that means I'm only dealing with soft tissue. But there's still a nagging doubt because I'm not trained in reading x-rays.

I've never had any luck discerning imaging. Maybe phone them tomorrow just in case they just didn't get around to phoning?
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Got an email from the doc today. X-ray is negative, no sign of stress reaction. Take another week off running, do stretches and massaging as shown in the office. Test no more than 2 miles a week from tomorrow.

Unstated: Need strict compliance with calorie limits. I'm maintaining, but between 2 and 3 pounds heavier than I'd like to.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Insurance ok’d the fancy little sleeve/brace thing. It is not like anything I’ve delt with before- has a deal on each side of my ankle kind of a stiff pad of sorts, kinda feels like a hug for my ankle. Otherwise, much less cumbersome and restrictive than other contraptions I’ve been put in.

Although, from the past two days with the taping- could someone please explain the voodoo of Kt tape to me? Like I can count on my fingers the number of times the ankle did the poppy thing over the course of two days. It doesn’t seem possible that two little strips of anything could be that magical... it was sore as heck from all the manipulation it got, but it wasn’t popping! We will see if the new contraption can even claim that.

Otherwise, it amazes me that I have done things like 225lb deadlift, as unstable as I am with anything they have tested lately.
  • Elise4270
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Great news @MobyCarp !!!! Are you planning on running Boston again this year? Or set on an easier course? Seemed Boston was a kitten, with the heat last year.

@hanlonsk voodoo of the kt tape! Haha! You can Google it. I think, that its suspected to increase circulation, provide warmth, and a bit of support. Google said is decreases swelling too.

I've also heard that by wrapping it, one tends to be more careful with it's use. But I don't buy that. I can be in bed and wrap/kt tape something and instantly feel better.

Maybe it is voodoo. I'm okay with that!
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    @hanlonsk - That brace sounds like the ones I've had for ankle sprains, mostly involving the posterior tibial tendon:

bsfocyv7nx36.jpg

~$69 from a medical supply store, ~$14 from Amazon if I could identify what to order. Breakeven with insurance when I had 20% copay, cheaper to not use insurance with a high deductible plan.

The pads on the side do a gentle massage with the running movement, promoting blood flow and healing. Blood flow is a concern in ankles, because the blood vessels are constricted by the narrow spaces available. Swelling just increases the issues with getting adequate circulation. Yes, I went through some ankle pain to learn this. Anatomy is a painful subject.

@Elise4270 - I'm either running Boston or taking an expensive vacation to watch Boston. The sports doc thinks I can be back in time for Boston if I don't do stupid things. I expect training will mostly be base building, with much less speed work than I had the last 2 years. And lower volume, both because it's indicated by injury history and because I'll be starting without a strong base.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Injuries getting better? Anyone?

I'm resigned to waiting on the pool or doing PT, no more running. But ya know as soon as this latest issues resolves, I'll wanna get back out.

My coworkers don't understand the extent I'm down, they don't run or bike, or have a workout routine. One said something about it being too cold (windy and 28f) to run. I shared that I have some good gear and have no problem running in whatever condition Oklahoma has to offer. Although, I'll pass on the 50-70mph winds in any temp. Of course, this made me wanna get my wool base layer out and go run.

I'm getting fat. The scale is still edging up and it was easy to dismiss when I couldn't see the accumulation of adipose. *Sigh* my boobs are getting bigger. Sure you might see that as a plus, (I don't, not that keen on them since 8th grade. They got in the way of volley ball), I digress.... But it's where I see the gain.and my bras are too tight. And my estrogen is low... And now they hurt. Fat bags of pain. And why does the cat always have to step on them .gah!

I did blood work yesterday to address the estrogen issue. So... Maybe next week less pain, if I get the supplements (pellets). Also excess fat and caffeine consumption cause me breast pain. I have total control. Just got use it. :wink:

I wanna learn to dance. You see these commercials? Man, I wish I was that coordinated!

(It's early, I don't sleep well. In pain, achey, stuffy, back spasms. Too hard headed to take something. So I ramble).
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Ran a speed test of sorts this am. Very slow for a speed workout but the calf did not complain. We'll see how the next few days go. I want to run 17 in the next two days for a 160 month. I haven't been over 130 since the injury. Hope things start going better for you Elise and Moby.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Cats will do whatever it is they want to do. Condolences on owning a mammocat. I guess I shouldn't complain too much about owning an alarm cat that sometimes goes off before I want to get up.

I'm looking forward to being allowed to do a 2 mile test run tomorrow, and a little concerned that we have a streak of cold weather. Tomorrow is supposed to be a little warmer than it has been, with a high in the teens F. No big deal running when you're healthy, but the cold magnifies how anything hurt feels. I'll just have to do the best I can and maybe dress a little warmer than I would to run healthy. In 2 miles, it's unlikely I suffer unduly from being overdressed.
  • Elise4270
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @MobyCarp mammocat! :grin: Too funny! My walking alarm "thinks" 5am is get up. So I've just been getting up earlier, having coffee, asking "what's so dang important at 5 am?", an hour + before I need to get up. Hopefully she's just training me to allow time to get in an AM run, or do my PT. Whatever her motive, I know she IS training manipulating me.

Good luck tomorrow. I hear ya about the cold. Its hard, for me, to start slow when all I can think about is hitting that 1 or 2 miles mark when I'm finally warmed up. Then coming off injury, 1-2 miles is all you get. Seems unfair.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Do you perhaps have the thermostat set to start warming the house up at 5 am, so it's warm by the time you get up? I got another hour of sleep out of my alarm cat by changing when the thermostat goes from cooler at night to warmer for morning.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - Do you perhaps have the thermostat set to start warming the house up at 5 am, so it's warm by the time you get up? I got another hour of sleep out of my alarm cat by changing when the thermostat goes from cooler at night to warmer for morning.

No such luck. Ours is strictly finger operated. I had thought it to be sunlight/daylight savings related, but with the long nights, my theory doesn't hold.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    The most annoying things about being sidelined:

1. emails for upcoming races you can run.
    2. The scale
    3. EVERYONE else is running.

Feel free to add to this list.