Cathartic Thread For Injured Runners, er support for managing injuries. ;-)

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    It's super nice today. I figured I'd skip a swim and try for a walk after I got the bedding in the wash. Dh's side of the bed is cluttered and I tweaked my lower back trying to put the matress cover on. So much for going for a walk or swimming.

I left my tuna and mayo unattended and my fat cat found it.

Ah well... Couch, Netflix and halo I guess.

Hope everyone is doing well today.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Sorry you got tweaked. I now have proof making the bed is bad for a person, though. :)

I am in snarky land, and have been traveling between there and anxiety island for a while now. A run would probably help. So, I got snarky with pt today. Just posted on the main thread with more detail, but sounds like I may get cleared for running/high impact in March. Which seems forever from now at the moment. But as long as this saga has been going on, when I’m not just being childish, I understand them wanting to be good and sure everything is moving correctly, and strong and solid and stable before we wreck it again. Just makes it hard to deal with myself in the mean time.
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I won't be running before March either. I can't even walk upright with this back. So much for my swimming plans least until this lines out. Why am I so old all of the sudden?

ETA if you can get everything lined out by March, it'd be worth the recovery effort.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Yay! I made it out for my first swim post op. I had my hand paddles, flippers, ear plugs, nose plug and my snorkel. Was a great swim until I lost my nose plug. Dumb thing would not stay on my nose and keep slipping off. Soooo, I gotta buy another one now.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    2---30 min stationary bike
    6---30 min stationary bike
    12---20 min swim
    13---30 min swim

Found my nose clip at the bottom of the pool. Figured out how to make it stay on!

February goal is to rehab and stop gaining weight.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    10-11 severe back spasms
    12---20 min swim
    13---30 min swim
    14---30 min stationary bike

Whoo! Three days straight, no back spasms!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    10-11 severe back spasms
    12---20 min swim
    13---30 min swim
    14---30 min stationary bike

Whoo! Three days straight, no back spasms!

Yay progress!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I'm lonely over here with no other injured runners :smirk:

I have a few new exercises to do. One I wanted to share was:

Can you stand on one leg with your eyes closed for 10 seconds 3 times? It's supposed to improve your proprioception. I made it to 10 once, 4 or 6? No problem. Ok a little challenging.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Last I checked, uh no.... my balance still sucks.

On right leg, maybe. On the right leg, I can successfully do my set of 10one legged Romanian dead lifts and stand on one leg on a pad for thirty seconds and toss a ball ... left leg, not so much....
    The ankle is moving better, but is still screwy and not as strong which means really that it is unstable in a wider range of motion. Which I haven’t decided if I think is progress or not.

It also doesn’t seem to be reacting well to me going to the gym again.... like, it flat out hurts today, and I’ve been gimpy on it since Tuesday.... ugh....
  • 7lenny7
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I bit pissed & depressed today. More pissed than depressed I think. Last Saturday I ran 12 trail miles. I ran too far and had a pretty angry ITB by the end of the run. I should have cut it off at 10 miles.

Because I got sick after that, my next run was 5 days later and I'm thinking my ITB has had plenty of time to recover and I'm hoping for 6 or 7 miles but I had to bail out after just 4 miles. Where the hell did my progress go?!?

I have a 20 mile race in 8 days, which will be 2 loops of 10 miles each. I'll be lucky to run one loop. Perhaps I'll just walk the whole thing.

That 50 miler in April is looking more and more like a pipe dream. I"m about ready to toss in the towel and start over from mile 1.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm not injured at the moment, but am detrained.

In Oct., after my last race for 2017, I switched up my diet and supplement plan to try to achieve my goal fat loss for the year. I had been eating a zero carb diet before that and was fat adapted. The plan kept me low carb (not zero carb) mostly, except certain days. Because of how the plan was structured, cardio was higher risk. So I stopped doing cardio. I lost about 1 lb. per week, mostly fat. At some point mid-December, I reached my goal briefly. I was de-trained from a cardiovascular standpoint, but I believe I was still mostly fat adapted.

At the end of Dec., I decided to take a diet break because the previous plan was mentally challenging. From 12/27/17 - 1/15/18, I basically went back to eating whatever I wanted. I gained 32 lbs., about 19 lbs. of which was fat. If I wasn't de-trained from a cardiovascular standpoint already, I definitely was by the end of that diet break. And I was definitely no longer fat adapted. My BG's during that time were awful (I have T1D).

As of 1/16/18, I'm running again and back to a zero carb diet. I'm going through the process of becoming fat adapted again and re-train cardiovascular standpoint. Both are slow processes that take a very long time and progress is frustratingly slow. The diet break was good mentally, but did a lot of damage and cost a lot of time. I can't do that again.

I still hold 16 lbs. of extra fat that I didn't want, but am focusing on becoming fit again before worrying about losing that weight. It's in the back of my mind, though, and I keep thinking I should cut back calorie intake to lose some of it. Trying to lose weight and perform well running did not work very well for me last year, so I know I shouldn't lose focus.

My biggest challenge is patience. Objectively, I know what I need to do. Emotionally, I'm frustrated and impatient. I want results NOW, even though I know that isn't realistic. Unfortunately, patience isn't available at GNC. :'(
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Wow @midwesterner85 . That's a rollercoaster ride. I made it within 3 pounds of my goal weight and took a diet break and gained 9-10 pounds. I'm still gaining 1-2 pounds a month due to little activity and poor food choices after ITB surgery. Sucks.

I'm glad your back to running again and keeping the BG in control. Maybe add a day or two on the bike or swim for more cardio to get that back faster? How often are you running or doing cardio? I find that even though they don't offer the same cardiovascular intensity, it helps with time moving/calorie burning. I'm sure it helps muscles and mind too. I'm hoping to use you as my test rabbit, you figure out the fastest way back and let me know. :smiley:

I hated returning to running, it took 6 months for me to feel like I had made progress. It was such an emotional struggle.

Good job getting back on track. You're strong. You got this.
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @7lenny7. That just sucks. Are you or did you continue your PT exercises during your down time?

Where does your it bother you? Is it hip? Because that can be the bursa too. My first steroid shot in the GT bursa, helped greatly. Of course that's not a quick fix, finding a doc, getting in, one that agrees with doing/ordering the shot, scheduling the shot, 7-10 days before the shot really helps... but it may be a course of action warranted.

I'd scrap the 20. Unless you accept that it'll cause more pain and you'll need to readdress the itb issue.

I feel for ya.
    ETA my latest PT do's. Maybe these could help someone.
    61w617tohy1w.jpg
  • 7lenny7
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @7lenny7. That just sucks. Are you or did you continue your PT exercises during your down time?

Where does your it bother you? Is it hip? Because that can be the bursa too. My first steroid shot in the GT bursa, helped greatly. Of course that's not a quick fix, finding a doc, getting in, one that agrees with doing/ordering the shot, scheduling the shot, 7-10 days before the shot really helps... but it may be a course of action warranted.

I'd scrap the 20. Unless you accept that it'll cause more pain and you'll need to readdress the itb issue.

I feel for ya.

@Elise4270

here the sequence of events:

Saturday - Ran 12.6
    Sunday - full PT workout
    Monday - 117 floors at work, plus an abbreviated PT workout
    Tuesday - New sickness hit, no PT
    Wednesday - stayed home, skipped PT
    Thursday - seated, banded clamshells at work, 4 mile run

I just missed the one PT workout. One thing that may have aggravated my ITB is that the clamshells yesterday, I had the band just above my knee which may have pressured my ITB enough to cause irritation. Next time I'll do it below the knee.

The pain is at the knee, on the outside. My run form evaluation showed that my hips drop too much when I run, so building up my glutes, particularly my glute. med., is needed to fix it. Absolutely no pain in my hip.

I need to remember to roll out my right leg more often. I can't recall if my PT said that would help or not. I know i can't stretch out my ITB, but perhaps it loosens it up from the tissue around it.

I'm tempted to do a short run tonight just to see how it goes without the clams at work.

Scrape the 20? no idea what that means.

On the upside, I can tell my *kitten* is getting bigger. My wife is getting really tired of me asking if she wants to feel my glutes.

• Elise4270
    Options
    I was going to cathart about my hip, but now if feel lucky it's not worse....

My hips are uneven again. I did discuss it with my PT yesterday and he noted it and addressed it.. I may have to push the painful issue more next week, and bring it up with the docs office next visit. It was more even after yesterday's visit, today we're back to a 1-2 in difference. Poop. As long as this has been a problem, I can't imagine that it'll line out in my last 3 remaining PT visits. One thing and another....

How did I get so out of shape/old/broken?

Okay.... Onwards! Coffee, snack, pool, tan (why not), PT exercises, upper body weights, tv, bike, more PT.... Full day today. How much can I get done? And my house is dirty- but that jacked up my hip last week, so it's gonna stay dirty. I might bribe dd to do something.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    LOL! I wish my glutes would get bigger!

Maybe it's a "2 steps forward one back" kinda thing. I bet if you play it smart, you'll make those races.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I'm going to the gym 3 times per week, running on the treadmill, and then lifting weights. I plan to continue lifting weights, and will probably venture outside to run in another week or 2. Right now, I'm using the treadmill to control speed. I know it is boring, but it is much easier to monitor HR and maximize training. Even after I get outside, I'll probably keep some workouts inside on the treadmill for that reason. Until I'm totally comfortable that I've re-trained to a certain point, anyway.

I haven't cycled nor swam in years. If anything, I might consider cycling. Swimming would probably be a more valuable life skill to learn (especially since I like to spend a lot of time outdoors hiking and sometimes cross rivers). But swimming is also more expensive, depending upon location. I live in a small town that has only an indoor pool. The hours are very limited and it costs quite a bit for something I might be able to actually do once or twice per week. Although I don't need a membership since they have prices for per-visit available. Still, it is yet another challenge to try to learn to swim. I'm not sure I want to go there at this point.

Cycling, on the other hand, is a bit simpler. I could do that on the exercise bike at the gym, or I could potentially even rent a bike if I'm in the nearest city, as I am some weekends. They are municipal bikes designed more for getting around, but it could be a way to decide if I'm willing to buy a bicycle more suited to my needs. Still, I think I'll stick with running.

What I decided recently (and will see how this works) is that I'm not making very good progress when I run at too much intensity. So I've decided to try using the MAF method. It is a basic formula that takes age, recent training, more distant training (past few years), medical issues, etc. into account and determines a HR range to reach. The idea is to keep at that HR to 10 less than that. Also, we are supposed to very slowly warm up to reach that HR and very slowly cool down at the end. I tried this for the first time last night. Even when reaching my target HR, I felt like I was going very slowly (and I was, since I stayed at 4.3-4.5 mph). But, it felt good. I felt like I was getting a workout and not cheating myself, but I didn't burn out so much like I do when I go much faster and with too high of HR. I think I'm going to try to increase the time since the warm up and cool down take so long... so instead of running 1 hr., it might be 1.25 or 1.5 hrs.

In another week or 2 when I start running outside again, I'm going to add that as another day. I'll still run 3X per week on the treadmill before lifting weights for the foreseeable future. Perhaps in another month or 2, I will run outside and only lift weights in the gym. I'm not sure how I'd structure the days of running vs. gym days. I like the idea of getting blood flowing with cardio before lifting (i.e. dynamic stretching), but perhaps I run other days and do a short time on the bike at the gym for that purpose on gym days. That part is not yet decided.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    I feel for ya.
    ETA my latest PT do's. Maybe these could help someone.

@Elise4270

from your PT sheet, I used to do the single leg balance all the time but have gotten away from that. I need to get back into it.

My PT suggested I should do the hip flexor stretch but I always forget to.

My current PT exercises are

Single Leg Glute Bridge with 15 lb weight on my hips
    1 set, 30 reps, 5 second hold (I do 2 sets of 15)

Prone Hip Extension with Bent Knee
    (lie on your stomach, bend knee 90°, lift knee two inches, activating your glute)
    3 sets, 20 reps, 5 second hold

Side Plank on Elbow with Hip Abduction
    3 sets, 5-10 reps, 5 second hold
    Holy hell these are hard, but very effective for the glute med. I love them!

Side Step with Resistance Band at Ankles
    4 sets, 10 reps,
    She makes me squat really low for these, with chest out. These are far harder than they look. Probably why I need to do them.

Lateral Shuffle (side to side with feet coming together)
    3 sets, 1 minute each

Superman
    3 sets of 30, 5 sec hold

and the new one which I LOVE because I can really feel it in my glutes is a single leg deadlift with weights. I use a 24 pound dumbell and try to do these slowly. It's great for working on my balance too.
    3 sets of 10.

I added the seated, banded clamshells because it's something I can do at work easily. (Multitasking!). She liked this idea. I also try to remember to clench my butt a lot while I'm driving (Isometrics?) and exaggerate glute activation when I run and walk.

Maybe I need to start twerking?
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    LOL! I wish my glutes would get bigger!

Maybe it's a "2 steps forward one back" kinda thing. I bet if you play it smart, you'll make those races.

My PT did say that progress will not be linear, and there will be backwards movement.

Ah, "scrap", not "scrape". Now it makes sense. I'm fully prepared to stop after 10 miles if I need to, or to quit running and walk my way out. As it is I'll likely walk 1/3 to 1/2 the distance anyway.
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @7lenny7 Twerking with that new badonkadonk? Hahaha!

I'm not allowed to so strength yet, just stretches, and muscle recruitment.

I had to reinstall in the glute squeeze. Some how I was engaging my hamstring and it became aggravated. So I have to sit on my hands now to do it, to focus on the right muscle.

Haha! "Reinstall" that's auto correct. Reign