Menopausal Mad Hatters "Soaring to Success" in August

Options
Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
Good morning Hatters!

and welcome to August!!

Susan has a great idea for our theme this month in honour of Orville Wrights birthday. Talk about achieving your dream when everyone has no faith in you??? He ignored them all, persevered in spite of many obstacles and failures along the way and went after his dream..... and soared!!

And so can we!!!!

:bigsmile: Snoozie :bigsmile: I found out my body fat has gone down from obese thru overweight and is just hovering at the high end of the "normal" scale now (yay) and a few other things specific to the diabetes and the difference between cardio and ST on the body.. and so much more. So I am excited that my current probs can be fixed and I can continue toward my goal. He was a very positive person; he believes as well in positive thinking... (I did laugh at one point tho when we were talking and I said "and I can't run".... He very gently corrected me; he said "no you don't run now." If you say you can't do something, you will never do it. You just don't run now. You may run at some point if it interests you.. but you just don't run now". I've always believed in the power of positive thinking but that put a new twist on it even for me lol.

So my goals for August are:

to lose 4 pounds in the month
; to diligently do the movements every day for my mobility
continue my walking every single day.
to improve my nutritional intake with good healthy foods

and I plan to SOAR this month!

:bigsmile: Janet/HSH :bigsmile: Is everyone ready to go Soaring into August! What will you do to get there? My focus is going to be on more veggies, I get a lot when I have time on the weekend but need to increase totals when rushed during the week!

:bigsmile: Susan/Seehe :bigsmile: have taken some steps myself to send myself soaring to success in August. I have been stuck at the 39 pound loss for quite some time now, so decided I needed to get my resting metabolic rate scientifically/medically determined again, and the only place I can find in AZ that does that correctly is at Canyon Ranch, so back I go for four days and three nights this August 11th, I will get the test done and then get a private consultation with a nutritionist to go over the results , establish my personal TDEE and calorie and exercise needs to continue to be able to lose weight as well as nutritional recommendations. I am really jazzed to get my new numbers cause online calculators are WAY off from my true numbers that were calculated precisely for me last year there. Additionally, I got a PT evaluation (thanks Snoozie for your inspiration!) and will be undergoing PT therapy for some neck, knee and feet issues as well as hopefully getting guidance on appropriate strength training exercises for me. Finally, I also made an ortho appt first week of Sept, in case my feet are still killing me for further evaluation and possible steroid injections.

So, my August goals are:
Gather all the information and tools I can from Canyon Ranch and PT
Tweek my weight loss plan to the new numbers and follow it
Follow through with my PT appointments 2x a week and recommendations
Break this plateau, hit the elusive 40 pound loss mark and keep going!

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

This is our month to truly SOAR Hatters!! We CAN reach all our goals .... to paraphrase Tammys post the other day..it all boils down to "you decide" . I have decided, and I WILL reach my goals. Susan and Janet have decided and will reach their goals.

Let's hear from anyone else who has decided and chooses to soar. (That includes any of the new people I see have joined our group... please feel free to jump in and let us get to know you and your goals!) If we work hard, help, encourage and support each other and and keep our eyes on our "prize" we CAN SOAR!!

Replies

• cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies....

Well, turning 50 on the 14th of August - so Janet, guess that makes me a member of the red had society???? giggles....
    Hitting our 21 year anniversary mark on the 29th of August.... love the DH - he's definitely a keeper (we like to fish) giggles and are spending a couple of days at the Jersey Shore (Avalon) minus the 18 year old... :blushing:

My primary goal is to get out there and move more, eat less junk.....

See you soon:glasses: :glasses:

Carol

And as we all know the last 10 are a .itch... ugh.. wish me luck... struggling with 3 .. up and down up and down.. life is a roller coaster - hang on... :laugh: :grumble: :noway:
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Ok, I need to start soaring. Regular tracking of my food intake again. Daily exercise. Get my weight back down to where I was at the end of last year and then reach my goal weight after that. One step at a time. Hopefully one step FORWARD :smile: at a time! Let's watch those pounds fly off!
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You are so right we WILL reach our August goals.
    Not only should we not think in terms of "I don't" we should not even think "I may" or "I might" Studies showed that there is a real difference between results when we say and think "I will" or "I do" For instance never say I don't or worse "I can't" eat the calorie bomb, say I do eat nutritious good food. The study said even when we say "I will try" we leave ourselves more room for backing down than if we just say "I WILL" and the only way to get there is to BELIEVE. I believe that all of the Hatters will have a fabulous August.
    AUGUST THEME SONG by R. Kelly because we will all soar to new heights of fitness!

"I Believe I Can Fly"

I used to think that I could not go on
    And life was nothing but an awful song
    But now I know the meaning of true love
    I'm leaning on the everlasting arms

If I can see it, then I can do it
    If I just believe it, there's nothing to it

[Chorus:]
    I believe I can fly
    I believe I can touch the sky
    I think about it every night and day
    Spread my wings and fly away
    I believe I can soar
    I see me running through that open door
    I believe I can fly
    I believe I can fly
    I believe I can fly

See I was on the verge of breaking down
    Sometimes silence can seem so loud
    There are miracles in life I must achieve
    But first I know it starts inside of me, oh

If I can see it, then I can be it
    Hey, cause I believe in me, oh

If I can see it, then I can do it (I can do it)

[Chorus]

Hey, if I just spread my wings
    I can fly
    I can fly
    I can fly, hey
    If I just spread my wings
    I can fly-eye-eye-eye
    Hum, fly-eye-eye
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    and of course ... wind beneath my wings.....by Bette Midler...

"Wind Beneath My Wings"

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
    It must have been cold there in my shadow,
    to never have sunlight on your face.
    You were content to let me shine, that's your way.
    You always walked a step behind.

So I was the one with all the glory,
    while you were the one with all the strength.
    A beautiful face without a name for so long.
    A beautiful smile to hide the pain.

Did you ever know that you're my hero,
    and everything I would like to be?
    I can fly higher than an eagle,
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

It might have appeared to go unnoticed,
    but I've got it all here in my heart.
    I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it.
    I would be nothing without you.

Did you ever know that you're my hero?
    You're everything I wish I could be.
    I could fly higher than an eagle,

Did I ever tell you you're my hero?
    You're everything, everything I wish I could be.
    Oh, and I, I could fly higher than an eagle,
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings,

Oh, the wind beneath my wings.
    You, you, you, you are the wind beneath my wings.
    Fly, fly, fly away. You let me fly so high.
    Oh, you, you, you, the wind beneath my wings.
    Oh, you, you, you, the wind beneath my wings.

Fly, fly, fly high against the sky,
    so high I almost touch the sky.
    Thank you, thank you,
    thank God for you, the wind beneath my wings.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Love it Janet - and so appropriate becAuse it is an "I" can fly - nobody else can do this for me, it's all on me to make it happen. Every bite, every movement, my decision. My choice.

I choose to soar!
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    Ladies...

Just to clarify - wind beneath my wings is based on the Canadian Geese theory - the main reason they succeed is that when the lead goose gets tired, the next one fills in - taking turns - hopefully you all realize what I'm getting at???

And of course Eagles fly above the clouds when the storms come in....

So, I will be an Eagle, and when I'm a tired goose hopefully Jane or Snoozie will fill in.... with Astro right behind...Carol
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Love, love,love it Janet! What a perfect song for our theme!

I know it starts inside of me, and I believe in me ! I believe I will soar!!!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Awesome Carole !!
  • seehe
    Options
    Carol, I hear you about how wonderful it is to have the hatters for support along the way!
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies,

Goals for me are to let go of all the negative, hurtful things and to soar with all of you. I do believe I can fly and I can make things happen for me. I will lose 5 lbs this month. I need to reset my ticker and get real with what's in my diary. I have been very lax when it comes to that. So with that being said, August is going to be a great month for me:-)
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Good morning Hatters

Goal 1: Incorporate Food 4 Thought daily as many of you have seen that past few days.
    Goal 2: Continually focus what I have accomplished rather than how far I have to go.
    Goal 3: Lose btw 5 - 10 lbs in August
    Goal 4: With school starting in 10 days, to remember to take time for ME !!! MY FAMILY !!! MY FRIENDS !!!
    Goal 5: No less than 3 days @ no less than 30 minutes exercise per week
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    Awesome goals Tammy....

Carol
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Love both songs...great inspiration!! I have been so lazy with my eating....I have to step it up 3 or 4 notches just to get back level..I have done well with Exercise (I just don't track it on feeds) and that is a big Victory for me...I used to hate it..

WE WILL ..... get these goals achieved this month, we've done it before.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: Congratulations Susan on SOARiNG to that 40lbs lost today!!! :drinker: :drinker:

We know how hard you have been working to break through that 39 and you did it!!!
    Soooo doing the happy feet dance - I'm so happy for ya I coul just bust so can't even imagine how great your feeling !!!!
    IPOU!!!!!!
  • seehe
    Options
    ChicagoCE_-_Anixter_Center_-_Soaring_to_Success85121151_std_zps5b911528.jpg

Thanks much Snoozie! Loving August already:smile::smile: :smile:
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I was just thinking how perfect it is for you to have Soared and hit that milestone today as our theme for this month was your idea!!!!! Too perfect ! Abd so glad to see snoopy on your profile dancing away too lol
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I'm on my last day of vacation so getting everything ready for a week of dayshift starting tomorrow but just read through everyone's goals and targets for this month - they all sound so positive and "doable" and I know we're all going to succeed!! I was thinking maybe we could update about once a week how we"re doing might keep us a little more focused rather than going the whole month but that can be up to each of us to decide if it works for them.

I am really going to miss my morning walks at the lake for now but I have two back up plans in place to ensure I get my daily exercise. I'm going to try eating more of my calories during the day while at work and moving aroubd a lot and less for dinner as I'm in bed by 8pm.

Best get dinner made and food packed up in my "Jethro Bodine" (remember the Clampetts? I need a huge cooler bag to pack healthy stuff (ever notice junk food doesn't take up any room??). :bigsmile:
  • tonyacoursey
    Options
    OK, so you got a reprieve from pics for a day or so. This was taken last night:-)
    IMG_20130802_201652_zps9300fab3.jpg
  • tonyacoursey
    Options
    This tree house has made national news on the Today show and others. The city wants them to tear it down due to them saying they didn't get the proper permitting. Long story but it truly is a work of art.

IMG_20130801_090938_zps34caf8b6.jpg
  • seehe
    Options
    Great pictures, Tonya! So glad you are having such a great time. So is that tree house somebody's home?