Replies

• Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    Good luck David
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    Hoping the surgery was a perfect success, and wishing you speedy recovery! Let us know how you're doing when you feel up to it, OK?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    d_thomas: Yay! Steady improvement from here, I hope. Keep killin' that PT!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the good news and the struggles. Speedy recovery, and quick dissipation of pain and discomfort is my wish, then back towards good routines. Glad the conveyor belt is no longer LOTO.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,049 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Been happy with progress of recovery.

Quad muscles have started firing again so straight leg lifts are back on the can do list.

Range of motion before surgery was 0 - 120 degrees, zero being straight leg. Day after surgery (Tuesday) I had 10 - 50 degrees. By Thursday (Thanksgiving here in the USA) I had my first in home physical therapy session, and we meassured it at 0 - 70 degrees.

And then... insurance has again become a problem. The therapist was suppose to be be back last Friday... nada. They are available 7 days a week, but nothing Saturday nor Sunday. Call them yesterday (Monday), a week after the surgery, and was told they were waiting to hear back from the insurance company before sending out another therapist.

Still doing my physical therapy at home on my own but feel I've plateaued on any more gains. Feels like swelling in soft tissue will need to go down significantly before range of motion will improve any more.

And don't want to push too hard before the doc removes stiches next Tuesday (12/4).
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Sorry you're having such awful hassles with your insurance company over this: It seems doubly unreasonable that this happens at a time that inherently already has enough problems built into it! I hope it ends up getting cleared up ASAP, so you can get on with the PT and physical improvement.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Oh the difference a few shorts hours makes.

Called the insurance this morning and they had approved the PT. Then got a call from the PT folks right at lunch and just now got done doing a killer hour with the therapist.

Last thing we did was for me to walk down the hall, around the kitchen table, and back, four times!... carrying the walker!!!

Had a rough time last night with nerve pain so if you had told me I'd be carrying the walker (only an inch above the floor but in the air none the less) by the end of the day, I'd have said you'd be nuts.

Leg is jelly and knee under ice at the moment, but I get to start using heat on the quad (muscle only, keep heat off knee) to start loosening it up. Apparently what I thought was swelling keeping my range of motion down is really muscle tissue clinched tight.

Range of motion after short warm up was 0-76 degrees. Didn't measure at end of session.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Good news! :drinker:
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Spent most of yesterday getting the oxycontin monkey off my back. Feeling the knee more today for sure but nothing a couple of tylenols can't manage.

Don't need the walker anymore. I am suppose to be using my grandfather's cane (when I think of it), otherwise I just walk (albeit with a limp) where I need to go.

My FitBit says I put in about 2,200 steps yesterday. I have one more in home PT session on Monday and then a post-op visit with the doc on Tuesday. Quad still needs a lot of work, stretching and strengthening.

Crossing fingers I can get back into the workshop and maybe even the smithy soon after that.

Doing nothing all day sucks.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Monday's PT session went well. Passed the 90 degree range of motion milestone (apparently its a biggie) with a measure of 0 - 94 degrees. So she added a bunch of new exercises. (Ouch)

First Post-op with doc yesterday, two weeks after surgery. Big reveal with bandage removal and cutting the end knots off the long internal suture. The rest of the suture will eventually dissolve.

Walking without assistance and almost no limp. Not on opioid meds now. Can move right leg quickly from hypothetically gas pedal to brake with no pain. So was given the doc's blessing to start driving again. (Now if I only had a running vehicle.)

Was also told I could resume any reasonable activity that didn't cause pain. No high impact activities, of course, but I'm no longer a housebound invalid. Yay!

Two more in-home PT sessions, today and Friday, and then more PT at a well equipped facility starting next week.

Looking forward to getting back to some semblance of normalcy again.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Glad to hear your recovery is going so well . . . though I suspect it still seems frustratingly slow from the inside. Wishing you continued steady improvement!
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    First outpatient PT yesterday. My therapist started with an evaluation of my current condition. Cold, I had 0-90 degree range of motion. That, and some other measures, indicate that I currently have 57% use of my knee three weeks and a day after the total knee replacement surgery.

After about 45 minutes of various stretches and strengthening exercises my range of motion increased to 0-108 degrees compared to pre-surgery 0-120 degrees and 0-140 degrees on other knee (had ACL reconstruction on that one roughly ten years ago).

Goals for this round of PT.
    1) Get off all prescribed and OTC pain meds for knee.
    2) 0-110 degree range of motion, cold, within next two weeks.
    3) 75% use of knee (a milestone for considering the surgery successful) within next four weeks.
    4) 0-120 degrees and 90% use, or more, as final goal (eight weeks?)
    5) Have fun on upcoming SCUBA trip sometime in February. (Cozumel, Mexico)

She also released me to do any other exercises I choose so long as it doesn't cause excessive pain in my knee. (Some pain with exercise is expected.)

Next PT is scheduled for next Tuesday.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,123 Member
    Options
    Pain is always the guide... Pushing into discomfort but not to the point of pain....
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Second post-op at doc's today, seven weeks after surgery.

Range of motion 0 to 120 plus. She just eyeballed it. Now free and clear for any activity (still within reason, of course), which is good as I need to knock of the dust from my dive gear. Cozumel trip is a go for last week of Feb.

Still got some residial swelling that will come and go with use for another year or so. Third follow up scheduled for one year post-op.

I feel good. An artificial joint is never going to geel like an oganic joint as it has weird pop-ish click-ish noise/feel, but they say you get use to it.

Still have another three and a half weeks of PT scheduled. Doc says I can stop any time I'd like. I told her I'll stop PT when they lock the door behind me.

Busy week for me, this, but going to try to get back in the smithy this weekend.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,123 Member
    Options
    Nice to get back to the smithy. Not too much time on your feet tho, right?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Good news! I'll bet getting back to some of your regular enjoyable pursuits will make the rest of the recovery feel like it's going a bit quicker, as long as you can avoid that overdo/setback pitfall. Best wishes for continued smooth healing!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that you are getting back to normal activity.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    I hear warm salty water is great therapy. Cozumel is going to be fantastic. So glad the recovery is going well. Good luck getting used to the new noises. Nice trade for the pain you had before!