The august ladies' August check in and chat

Options

Replies

• kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I always vote for eating more. Gotta feed the muscles! :smile:

And if you are trying to get lean, definitely read through the posts that Molly Galbraith did on that subject: http://mollygalbraith.com/2013/07/is-being-really-lean-really-worth-it/

Ripping it up, ladies!

I lurve me some Fridays on the Texas method. Despite my 3 year old having a 2 am freakout, I went in this morning and killed it.

Squats 1x5 @ 190 (new PR!)
    OHP 1x2 @ 82.5 (new PR!)

Then I did some power cleans and my pushup test - 30 continuous post workout, so steadily increasing!

And now to go try to sneak some sleep. :smile: HAve a good weekend, all!
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    If in doubt, eat more! I was eating 2000 a day, and adding 200 on lifting days the week before my holiday and lost over a pound... I am nearly 6 foot tall, but that was lifting only no cardio... You may find some of the intense cardio becomes too much without some more fuel :-)

Agreed! But I think I was eating too much at one time, I reduced my calories slightly and finally broke plateau.

Yeah, I was eating too much all winter, :blushing: I'm only 5'2" so not much room for error. I'm going to up my calories a *wee* bit now but try not to go too crazy.

I've read that article about becoming too lean, don't worry- I'm nowhere near becoming even lean let alone too lean!:laugh: I'm one of those short girls that gets called "stocky" or "sturdy" a lot.
  • ErinRibbens
    Options
    @dandelion39, ouch! hope your foot is 100% soon!

kira- 190 squats! Amazing!!
  • ErinMLB
    ErinMLB Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    3rd time last night

Squats 5*5 50 pds (22.5 dumbells), hoping to switch over to bar soon
    Bench press 5*5 at 45 (just the bar)....... I am beyond thrilled at this, I even did a little happy dance when I got home, but than my legs hurt from the squats so it was fairly pathetic. lol! My first try, could barely lift the bar at all, I struggled a bit towards the end but am overall happy. Think I will do one more time at 45, and than up it.
    Barbell Row thingamajig, Not really sure if I"m doing this right, but I did 5*5 at 50 , found a modified version using dumbells.

I'm struggling to figure out my calories, I've yet to loose a single pound doing much of anything, however I've been told to just throw away my scale for the first couple of months because weight lifting will completly make it seem like everything is out of wack, when it isn't, so I'm trying to do that. I'm fairly certain I should eat more, but not sure how much more, and I really hate healthy food (vegetables are disgusting) so eating more of that just annoys me, give me an icecream instead!
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If in doubt, eat more! I was eating 2000 a day, and adding 200 on lifting days the week before my holiday and lost over a pound... I am nearly 6 foot tall, but that was lifting only no cardio... You may find some of the intense cardio becomes too much without some more fuel :-)

Agreed! But I think I was eating too much at one time, I reduced my calories slightly and finally broke plateau.

Yeah, I was eating too much all winter, :blushing: I'm only 5'2" so not much room for error. I'm going to up my calories a *wee* bit now but try not to go too crazy.

I've read that article about becoming too lean, don't worry- I'm nowhere near becoming even lean let alone too lean!:laugh: I'm one of those short girls that gets called "stocky" or "sturdy" a lot.

You sound a lot like me! I would love love love to be taller. Not because I could reach the very high things in the supermarket, not because I'd have long lean legs and not because I'd never have to take up the length of jeans... But because I could EAT MORE FOOD and not get fat!! Oh the curse of the foodie short person!
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Really hate to hit a button and the computer screen goes to no mans land midparagraph........grrr.

Hello ladies-

Getting back into the swing of things this week. Food has been pretty much spot on even with a daily treat. Right now I am really hung up on homemade sandwich wraps. I use garlic pesto or sun dried tomato wrap, shaved turkey and spinach or broccoli slaw and some guacamole ranch (best thing ever!! made by Wishbone). Yummy lunch. Today was overage because I wanted food from the fish camp. And enjoyed every darn bite, and I don't feel guilty because it was a lift day with deadlifts. Binge free for 6 whole days now!! Woot Woot! Allowing the daily sweet is helping with that and of course eating proper and getting enough protein so I feel full and just plain behaving myself. The scales were reflecting my hard work this morning, but officially weigh in tomorrow. Had 3 lift days and 2 light cardio days this week. Even got up at 4:50 one morning to lift before work. Thankfully my DOM stage has passed quickly. Gotta love some muscle memory.

My sleep has been better than it has been in ages. I am usually out cold by 1030-1100pm and up by 5:30am ON MY OWN!. I also don't feel the need for my afternoon nap. There might be something to this being healthy thing.

Elbow is holding out. It still hurts but it is the daily pain that I normally have. Unless I give it complete rest for about 6 weeks, it is gonna hurt. That ain't gonna happen. It is my right elbow, I am right handed, who will wipe my butt??? Foot has completely healed and no problem bearing weight on the right side of it anymore.

I deloaded most of my previous weight when I "started over" this week. :sad: And instead of checking the numbers on some weight, I actually didn't deload my bench.

Squats 65#- PR 90#
    Bench 65# didn't deload these. Started 60# Monday increased today.
    OHP 45# was quite happy to go back to empty bar on these minions of Satan. was a 55#
    Deadlifts 115#- PR is 150# These are feeling way easy right now. Think I will just enjoy!
    Cleans- 45#- was at 65#

There are no rows. I hate rows. More than I hate OHP. I will cut off my arms before I do another row unless it is a dumbbell row. Those aren't too bad. I like cleans. Cleans are fun. Rows are not. And I do deadlifts on A day instead of B day. I like it that way and it works better for me. It takes a lot of me for the OHP because of my elbow and I don't feel my deads are getting as much attention and they get jealous. Strangely my elbow is not as affected by the bench press. Everything feels pretty easy still except for the bench. Gonna keep it at 65# for a bit til it starts to feel easy.

Now back to my guilty pleasures: British TV shows on Netflix. Today:Merlin..........and maybe some Midsomer Murders.

WTG ladies. Y'all are looking good!

Everyone have a great weekend!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    What a fabulous post, Soos. Very happy for you! Keep up the awesomeness! :drinker:

I'm doing rows/cleans in supersets 3x8/3x5. Today was the first try and all went swimmingly, plus 3x5 deadlifts. Rummaging around with the empty bar still plus 95 for deadlifts, because I added SO much more cardio but first week trial went really well. Gonna do some walking this weekend and more lifting next week. So far, so good. Happy weekend! TGIF !!!!
  • ErinRibbens
    Options
    You BAMFs with your cleans! I'm so impressed! They intimidate me. Maybe when I get my home gym set up next month I will work on those and can look like a goofball in private.

Rest day today and I ate ALL the foods...including an amazing cupcake at a party we went to this evening. Good fuel, those cupcakes. Looking forward to attempting a 95 lb bench 3x5 in the morning! :drinker:
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You BAMFs with your cleans! I'm so impressed! They intimidate me. Maybe when I get my home gym set up next month I will work on those and can look like a goofball in private.

Rest day today and I ate ALL the foods...including an amazing cupcake at a party we went to this evening. Good fuel, those cupcakes. Looking forward to attempting a 95 lb bench 3x5 in the morning! :drinker:

Home gym...keyword there! If I had to do this in public, it would probably never happen. I prefer being all alone so only the dogs and turtles can watch. I don't clamp one end of the barbell so I can dump plates if I get in trouble (and pray they don't go through my dining room, ummmm I mean, gym floor). I always feel like an idgit when I do any kind of exercise.

Cleans are fun. You must try.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Workout was really hard tonight, and has left me feeling completely knackered. It's only 9:30 and I could happily go to bed and sleep through tomorrow.

Squats 75 5x5 (going to stay here a bit while I work on form)
    Bench 65 5x5 (almost had to tip the weights off one side on my very last rep, but I managed to get it up with some horrible sounding grunts and groans)
    Row 85 5x5 (barely finished these)

Everything was just HARD. But I'm really proud for not quitting. That being said, I am going to repeat these weights again instead of increasing.

BUT - holy crap I'm getting arm muscles. I keep touching my biceps, LOL. I even made my friend touch my arm, too. I'm kinda stupid about it but I'm just so excited!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    This really isn't lifting related, but I wanted to share my awesome ****ing NSV - This 204lb, 51yo fat-*kitten* BAMF-in-training just ran her first mile - straight! Ok, it wasn't fast (13:29), but it didn't kill me, and I went on to walk/jog/run another 5k. I found the mix that pumps me up - 80's hair bands. I guess I partied to that **** all night long back then, I can run to that all day long now.

I think was what I needed to kick me in the pants - a really good accomplishment to put under my belt. I'm really to hit the weights again. YAY!
  • jogirlruns
    jogirlruns Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This really isn't lifting related, but I wanted to share my awesome ****ing NSV - This 204lb, 51yo fat-*kitten* BAMF-in-training just ran her first mile - straight! Ok, it wasn't fast (13:29), but it didn't kill me, and I went on to walk/jog/run another 5k. I found the mix that pumps me up - 80's hair bands. I guess I partied to that **** all night long back then, I can run to that all day long now.

Woo hoo! Great victory!

I did workout B last night - Squats 70 lbs - 5x5. Added 5 lbs. ::::Slowly::::: figuring out my form. Felt a bit better tonight. Glutes still weak. This is gonna take forever.
    OHP 55 lbs -5x5 Felt awesome!!
    Deads: 125 lbs - getting back up there. Big plates next time?

Did some romanian deadlifts, glute bridges and some hanging leg raises for good measure. Good workout all in all!!

Some cross training on tap for today - finally warming up here so I will probably hit the trails with the family!

Joanne

(edited because I've only had one coffee and I can't spell)
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

I think was what I needed to kick me in the pants - a really good accomplishment to put under my belt. I'm really to hit the weights again. YAY!

That is both exciting and inspirational. Congrats and here's wishing you many more such experiences!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Workout was really hard tonight, and has left me feeling completely knackered. It's only 9:30 and I could happily go to bed and sleep through tomorrow.

Squats 75 5x5 (going to stay here a bit while I work on form)
    Bench 65 5x5 (almost had to tip the weights off one side on my very last rep, but I managed to get it up with some horrible sounding grunts and groans)
    Row 85 5x5 (barely finished these)

Everything was just HARD. But I'm really proud for not quitting. That being said, I am going to repeat these weights again instead of increasing.

BUT - holy crap I'm getting arm muscles. I keep touching my biceps, LOL. I even made my friend touch my arm, too. I'm kinda stupid about it but I'm just so excited!
    Great job and perseverance. There is no shame in holding at a certain weight for a few rounds. In fact, that is the only way I have been able to safely increase.

Had to laugh at having your friend touch your muscles. I made my BIL poke my abs this morning to prove there was something hard under all that loose skin! He was shocked.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hi all :)
    Today was Overhead press day *sigh* :grumble: I did 50 lbs, can't seem to get any better oh well.
    I also did:
    90 lbs in Rows
    115 lbs in shrugs
    120 lbs in deadlifts (did 2 sets for kicks lol)
    100 lbs in squats
    65 lbs in machine crunches
    All were personal bests except the stupid press and crunches. :happy:
  • ErinRibbens
    Options

Wow!!!! WTG! Running is tough, I'm so excited for you!
  • ErinRibbens
    Options
    Lifted at home this morning, all I have is a weight bench so I just did squats with the empty bar. I was planning on doing an easy day for squats anyway.

Squats 3x10 45 lbs
    Bench 3x5 95 lbs, a PR!!! Well, the very last rep I couldn't get up and I had to dump the weights but oh well. I'll do 95 lbs again next time and hopefully get it. I was excited to do 14 reps anyway!
    Rows 3x5 85 lbs. I realized afterwards that I did the same weight as last workout, oops.
    Reverse crunches, crunches, bicycles, 28 push ups (tough after the bench!) and planks for some accessory work.
  • ErinRibbens
    Options
    @randomtai, you are killing it on your rows!!! Wow! What's your secret? :love: Rows have always been tough for me, though lots better since reading SS and working on my form.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    @randomtai, you are killing it on your rows!!! Wow! What's your secret? :love: Rows have always been tough for me, though lots better since reading SS and working on my form.

Thanks :) I am not sure but I also do shoulder shrugs so that might help with the rows, also I was a little pissed :mad: at the hubby today so I took it out on my lifting lol :laugh:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to lift in the morning! Hopefully a week of sugar and carbs and not much protein won't have harmed them too much!