The august ladies' August check in and chat

Options

Replies

• ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    A week off and junk food usually means I have a great lift session. It's not very encouraging!:bigsmile:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Having a mug of bovril with breakfast to kick start my protein! Boiling eggs for work too. Still have a twitchy muscle in my thigh, very irritating...
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Grumpy with the huz for doubling his run without discussion so kicking my heels for a couple of hours now rushed at gym.
    Built up squats by 5kg a time to 45kg so only one set there. 3x5 35kg bench and 3x5 40kg row.
  • grandevampire
    Options
    I'm training for a 16K race (my first ever) in just over a month, so I think I will dial back my Stronglifts to twice a week as I wasn't feeling recovered enough at 3 lifting sessions and 3 runs.

So unrelated to lifting, but ran 13K today for the first time (albeit at a very slow pace). I think I'll make it for the race distance after all!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Workout B

Squats 5x5 @105#
    (Wanted to increase by 5# but hubby had a cow. Starting to think he's holding me back, LOL. I let him have his way, this time)

Bench Press 1x5 @65#, 4x5 @70# (Yay! PR. Increased 5#, basically told hubby to stuff it on the second set and just spot me)

Pendlay Row 5x5 @80# (Yay again! Another PR. Increased by 5#)

Hubby's concern is he doesn't want me to injure myself. But he is holding me back. The last time I increased he was out of town. And expressed concern when I BP'd at the new higher weight. When he got back I proved I was capable. Starting to think he has old fashioned notions about his wife. Hmmmmm........he'll get over it. He has to.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Back from my holidays today. Really missed my gym and lifitng so come payday I shall be signing up for 12 months! In the meantime I shall be cycling and walking the dogs to get rid of the beer baby (no denying it that is not a food baby in there!)
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Having a mug of bovril with breakfast to kick start my protein! Boiling eggs for work too. Still have a twitchy muscle in my thigh, very irritating...
    I swear I thought Bovril was an agricultural product...Oops! Hope your twitchy thigh will get better soon.

Today:
    Squats: 5x5 @ 31.5kg (repeat). Got good depth on the first 3 sets, last 2 still struggling enough that I think I will do this weight one more workout.

OHP: 5x5 @ 20kg !!!!! BOOYAH! The last set was huuurd, but I got that beyotch up beyond a doubt. Phew, now that I know I can do the bar (which I will probably repeat a few more times), I'm happy because I have a base from which I can do small increments with my fractional plates (instead of those 2kg increments with dumbbells). My main August goal met!

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 60kg Was "challenging", not yet crazy hard, but it's more than my bodyweight, so I guess it's a sort of milestone.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    yay for OHPing the bar and deadlifting more than you weigh! fab!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    No lifting today to speak of since I played volleyball last night for the first time in 28 years and it kicked my tail something fierce. Hopped on the elliptical this morning which was alright, but then tried squatting and made it through 1 set of 8 when my body said "I don't think so".

Taking an extra recovery day and seeing what happens tomorrow.

Yanno, being out of shape didn't really bother me a whole lot back in the day, until now I'm trying to get in shape and realizing how deconditioned my body has become. And that's after 6 months of regular weight training. Urgh.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Dani - any team sport baffles and intimidates me - so I think you are a rockstar for getting out there!

Volume day:
    Squats 5x5 @175
    Bench 5x5@105
    Deadlifts 1x5@205

Plus 5x10 leglifts and 25 minutes on the ARC trainer.
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    This really isn't lifting related, but I wanted to share my awesome ****ing NSV - This 204lb, 51yo fat-*kitten* BAMF-in-training just ran her first mile - straight! Ok, it wasn't fast (13:29), but it didn't kill me, and I went on to walk/jog/run another 5k. I found the mix that pumps me up - 80's hair bands. I guess I partied to that **** all night long back then, I can run to that all day long now.

I think was what I needed to kick me in the pants - a really good accomplishment to put under my belt. I'm really to hit the weights again. YAY!

Great work!!! Awesome NSV for you :) And kuddos to you I hate that running business!
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Ok Good Morning Ladies-- Yesterday was a decent workout day. The bf went with me (he usually does on sundays). I haven't got him to give into doing SL yet but he went HAM so it is all good.

Anyway yesterdays workout:

Squats 5x5 75lbs ( I deloaded some to work on form with these) I was feeling more ATG than just parallel
    OHP 3@60 1@55-- Ok these sucked!!! I had to do all my accessory stuff while waiting for the rack so my SL came last and I suffered but I still pushed through and got it in

Deads 1@135

Accessory stuff-

decline chest flys 3x10 15lb dumbbells
    Kettlebell Sumo High Pulls 4x10 25lb kettlebells
    Front Plate raise 4x10 25lb plate
    One Arm Side Lateral Raise 3x10 10lb dumbell
    Hanging Crunches 2x10
    Oblique Crunches 2x10
    Crunches 2x10

No Cardio :/
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    Back full throttle today, even though I wasn't feeling it. My NSV is just going when I didn't want to.

4 military style push-ups to fail. 3x10 more girly style. Plank @60seconds. Crap, that's hard. Stupid weak core :grumble:

Empty bar warmups @1x10: squat, OHP, rows

Weighted:
    95# squat 5x5 - this is great. Very heavy, hard, but helps remind me to keep my chest UP!
    75# BP 5x5 - still wobbly, staying put
    120# deadlift 2x5 - LIKE A BOSS
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hey all :)

Today I think I am going to go run from the zombies. Tomorrow lift day :)
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    after yesterday's half-a$$ed session at the gym, I got a pass from the huz to go back tonight (next session not until Thursday..)
    I was punished with it being Monday and FULL to the gunnels.. I started with 5 mins on the x-trainer as both racks were busy.. then waited another ten minutes.. then there was a free rack but no bar (it was obviously deadlift night!) and FINALLY got a bar..

squats 3x5 45kg still feeling a bit good-morning-y on a couple of the last ones. This is a deloaded weight, so will see how I feel next time.

OHPs. *sigh* OHPs why are you so hard?! still working on my wiggle but it's not smooth, and the timing is HARD. 3x5 at 25kg. Still deloaded.

Deadlift 1x5 at 60kg kept it light as I wanted to get home to say goodnight to the girls. Form is OK but I'm glad I'm staying light on this. Need some way to improve these before they get heavy again..

Best thing? Handing over the rack to another girl at the end :)
  • grandevampire
    Options
    I have yet to see another girl use either of the two racks! One was using the dreaded Smith machine once, and others use dumbbells/leg press sometimes, but never seen another use a bar. Hum.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've never seen another girl use the rack--hell, I rarely see guys use it (probably just because I go at 5:30 in the morning most of the time, in part because I want to avoid all the big guy lifters). God knows they're using it at some point, because there's always about a million pounds left on for me to re-rack before I start warming up in the morning. So, I always feel like the resident badass chick at my gym.

Today when I was in my first set of squats, I had this moment of feeling like I just really, truly didn't want to do another one. I considered going home! But, I struggled through and had a pretty good session in the end. Even the rows felt less awkward today, possibly because I had two days off between sessions. I really want that to be my schedule, but of course this week hub's travel schedule will screw up my early morning lifts—can't quite leave the kiddos at home alone yet, even while sleeping. So, I'll have to lift M and W; run T and maybe resort to the dreaded basement treadmill Th or Fri.

Only problem I'm having is really intense tightness in my left hip flexor/upper thigh. It kills. Must stretch more, I guess. I remember this happened when I first started lifting and then eventually went away—fingers crossed that will happen again.

So, today:

Squat 5x5 120 (2nd time at that weight)
    Bench 5x5 75
    Row 5x5 80

Great job to all of you! Every time I read this thread I'm impressed with your dedication and improvements!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see another girl use either of the two racks! One was using the dreaded Smith machine once, and others use dumbbells/leg press sometimes, but never seen another use a bar. Hum.
    Me neither. I kinda like it that way in my gym, the other women that go there are quite annoying. :laugh:
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    So glad my husband bought a Marcy weight system and Olympic weights on impulse a few years ago. They sat in the basement largely unused for most of that time until I started Stronglifts in March. Now I have the luxury of not having to deal with the gym! Although after not having to share at all for the past few months, the husb has started lifting (doing his "own thing"--can't get him to commit to a program. whatever.) and he leaves the bar and random things out of place.

So last Thursday I bashed the outside edge of my foot and my little toe on a root while going for a brisk walk in the woods. It was pretty painful and turned purplish for a few days, but it definitely wasn't broken and is on the mend. Not 100%, but definitely good and stable enough to lift for the first time since last Wednesday :bigsmile:

Today -
    Squats 5x5@165. I think I will take a few lbs off, since I don't think I'm getting quite low enough.
    OHP - 4x4 @90. Last week I got 44332 over 5 sets, so getting 4x4 is an improvement
    DL - 1x5 @205 - still feels very heavy. I'll probably repeat again next week.
    Then for fun, I did a few sets of curls (not sure when the last time I did that was), skull crushers and a set of chair dips.
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

All y'all looking so BAMFish. Y'all always amaze me with your bad selves.

Feels good to be back at it, although I am seriously reconsidering my choice to not start completely over with my squats. Really wish I had deloaded more. I think my lifts using my arms are better because I have to pick up so much heavy crap at work.

Squats- 70# (these were a struggle today, may not up on Wed)
    OHP- 50# ( these still feel pretty easy with 3 min rest per set, must be my imagination)
    Cleans- 50# (nothing to say here other than they are FUN)

Don't think I am doing too bad since it has been since April since I lifted regularly.

Not really hungry today which is surprising because it was a lift day, but also a good sign because my appetite is getting back under control. Binge free 9 days now. I have been having a little treat every day which helps a lot. Grocer had the little individual Edy's 1/2 fat cups for a $1 this week. Not an ice cream fan (don't shame me!!) so it is a safe treat for me. And peppermint patties. I still have a crap load of food to eat before bedtime which may or may not happen. I may just be under calories today. I am sure I will make up for it another day (Wednesday probably, taking son for pizza after school orientation) so it will all come out at the end of the week anyways.

Think I may call it an early night tonight. Today has just been one of those days that needs to be over. Not a bad day, just a blah kind of feeling day. And I am sooooo sleepy already of course I have been on the go since 830 this morning and have just now sat down except for the time in the torture chair at the dentist. (I shouldn't say that I have 2 great dentist and a great hygienist, and I only had a cleaning, yearly xrays and an visual exam today)

Okay, enough ramble. Hope everyone has a great week!