Options
lwoodroff
lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
*groan* the puns are back! :)

Replies

• kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm feeling "August" alright, LOL! Spent the entire summer to date eating high carb to train for and participate in a cycling tour. Weight is up despite all the excess cardio. Just goes to show I NEED to lift heavy and have a balanced approach to exercise. Now that it is over, I can't wait to get in the power rack.
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Hello

Posted my workout in the July thread to much of a scarey cat to post a new topic!

Happy august lifting x
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Checking in! Been a little absent from the gym, but back on it next week.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    *tagging to follow*

My program has gone too far away from Stronglifts to be posting about my workouts any more, but I read and follow everyone... 'cause you are all so full of WIN :flowerforyou:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    *tagging along, just hanging out with the cool kids***

I have been frustrated with my lack of progress due to form issues and still haven't found anyone in my local area that I have confidence in to coach/train me, so I am putting SL5x5 on hold for a while. I have contact with a trainer in Austin, but until I get some $$$ for some private sessions, I can't schedule anything with her - maybe in a month or so.

I haven't had any weight loss since mid June, and July was a totally f-ed up month. I haven't been getting the cardio/calorie burn workouts like before due to the heat. This month I plan to focus on C25K and weight loss, hopefully get some momentum rolling.

I really want to continue with SL, but my frustration is getting in the way and I need to just step back for a while. But I need some one-on-one training (not that you guys aren't the absolute greatest!); I just feel like I'm spinning my wheels and more frustration will breed discouragement, and enough discouragement will breed failure.

:drinker: to all you ladies here. I look forward to following your exploits in the gym and out. Hopefully, I will be able to join you all by early fall.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I hope to get back on track with my lifting. My mom has been in the hospital and that has been killing my motivation.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    HI Ladies,

I'd like to start "Checking in" with your guys. :flowerforyou:

I think it's much easier to track my workouts if i post, instead of in my Diary Notes. ( I don't put it in the database because i don't want to see the extra calories i can eat :laugh: )

Anyway, i've posted before on how scared i was and how all of you made me really take the plunge. :bigsmile:

Now I'm fearless :drinker: Well, of the free weights at least. :laugh:

I'm not 'upping' the weights as the program calls for. Being that i workout alone, i'm afraid of getting stuck under a barbel. Therefore, i stay on the same weight until i can do 6 sets comfortably. Are any others doing something like this?

I started on April 29th with a Personal Tainer.

About the end of June I saw him for the last time and I've been on my own. :drinker: I haven't missed a workout, however, i haven't gone up much since He and I stopped working together.

For example:

Squat end of June = 105 Presently = 110 :blushing:
    DL end of June = 115 Presently = 120 :blushing:
    OHP end of June = 55 Presently = 55 :frown:
    Rows end of June = 65 Presently = 70
    BenchPress end of June = 55 Presently 60

Will I still see lost of inches doing it this way?

Thanks again for having this Group :flowerforyou:

Edited to Add: I've not done any of the HIIT the Trainer had me doing at the end of our workouts :embarassed: I know i should, but it's so much easier to just get on the Stairmaster for another 20 minutes. I find tracking the time intervals in HIIT, hard. :laugh: Is this a Huge Mistake?
  • spicy618
    Options
    I hope to get back on track with my lifting. My mom has been in the hospital and that has been killing my motivation.

So sorry to hear about your mom. Hoping she gets recovers very soon. My mom is 86 and i cherish everyday we have. :flowerforyou:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    sorry about your mum random, hope things improve soon :(

and sorry to lol at the spelling mistake, but 'stuck under a barbel' brought this to mind.. http://www.anglersmail.co.uk/news/huge-barbel-follow-this-8-lb-2-oz-chub/

spicy, there are free HIIT apps you can get - I have one for android for the bike or running or rowing and it times you/counts you down etc.. :)
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    tag for later so I don't go back and post in the July thread :smile:
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I did Workout B today after a few weeks rest from any lifting whatsoever.

Squats @95# PR is 105# but wasn't feeling the love

OHP @45# This is my hardest lift and can't seem to increase

Deadlifts @115# Ready to increase weight

Would love any advice on how to increase on the OHP and BP. My left arm/shoulder is noticeably weaker than the right and that is keeping me from advancing weight.
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. The muscle on the inside of my legs near my knees is so sore from the squats! Is that normal?
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. This is my first time posting, which is exciting! I'm looking forward to getting my squats back in check this month. The Smith machine (bad, bad idea) ruined my form unfortunately. But I'm hoping to get my own weight set this weekend so I can start over with my squats and really get the form down. I will conquer the squats! Everything else is progressing nicely though!

Also, I can't wait to get to know all you lovely ladies :smile:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    W
    ould love any advice on how to increase on the OHP and BP. My left arm/shoulder is noticeably weaker than the right and that is keeping me from advancing weight.

You could do some dumbbell exercises for assistance work and focus more on the left side. You could also use fractionals and increase the weight a little at a time and see how that works out. You could also add in extra reps at your current weight, and when you can hit all of those, bump the weight up and see if you can do them. The last method is what enabled me to finally hit all 5 reps on all sets of my rows.

Lifting tonight after work since I was too tired to go yesterday and too lazy to go on my break. The gym should be nice and quiet. :drinker:
  • spicy618
    Options
    sorry about your mum random, hope things improve soon :(

and sorry to lol at the spelling mistake, but 'stuck under a barbel' brought this to mind.. http://www.anglersmail.co.uk/news/huge-barbel-follow-this-8-lb-2-oz-chub/

spicy, there are free HIIT apps you can get - I have one for android for the bike or running or rowing and it times you/counts you down etc.. :)

Oh thank you! I totally forgot about those.
  • erincampbell9
    erincampbell9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is my first time posting. I have been doing SL since the end of January. Went down to one day a week for about 3 months though while doing some other heavy lifting. Went back to regular SL 5x5 the first of June. Here are my stats:

Squats: 110 lbs.
    OHP: 55 lbs.
    Bench: 70 lbs.
    Rows: 70 lbs.
    Deadlift: 120 lbs.

I have been upping my weight very slowly, even with a few deloads, trying to really focus on form. It is just me in my basement, I have a power rack so that helps. I am almost done reading Starting Strength too.
  • spicy618
    Options
    Hi everyone. This is my first time posting, which is exciting! I'm looking forward to getting my squats back in check this month. The Smith machine (bad, bad idea) ruined my form unfortunately. But I'm hoping to get my own weight set this weekend so I can start over with my squats and really get the form down. I will conquer the squats! Everything else is progressing nicely though!

Also, I can't wait to get to know all you lovely ladies :smile:

Hi Storm!

I don't post here too often either, but I'm going to commit to posting my workouts.

How exciting for you to get your own set of weights. Is it like a whole Barbel set? A squat rack too? You will be squatting great in no time. :smile:

After all the reading i did here, I knew to use the smith machine only to get the hang of doing a squat and getting a feel for the it, Soon after i was in the Rack.

Glad i'll be able to follow your progress here.

:flowerforyou:
  • spicy618
    Options
    This is my first time posting. I have been doing SL since the end of January. Went down to one day a week for about 3 months though while doing some other heavy lifting. Went back to regular SL 5x5 the first of June. Here are my stats:

Squats: 110 lbs.
    OHP: 55 lbs.
    Bench: 70 lbs.
    Rows: 70 lbs.
    Deadlift: 120 lbs.

I have been upping my weight very slowly, even with a few deloads, trying to really focus on form. It is just me in my basement, I have a power rack so that helps. I am almost done reading Starting Strength too.

Hi WIllabe!

Those are great stats. And even greater that you have your own set up! Nice.

Welcome
  • spicy618
    Options
    BTW,

Just did my Workout

Squat = 110. 5 x 5

OHP = 55 5 x 6 Being that i came down 5 lbs. i did an extra set.

DL = 120 5 x 2 Been doing 2 sets of theses because my Grip strength sucks.

20 minutes on the stairmaster
  • spicy618
    Options
    I did Workout B today after a few weeks rest from any lifting whatsoever.

Squats @95# PR is 105# but wasn't feeling the love

OHP @45# This is my hardest lift and can't seem to increase

Deadlifts @115# Ready to increase weight

Would love any advice on how to increase on the OHP and BP. My left arm/shoulder is noticeably weaker than the right and that is keeping me from advancing weight.

Yes, i'd like to know too. This is the hardest move for me to increase on. You are not alone. :flowerforyou: