The august ladies' August check in and chat

Options

Replies

• inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Ladies - I sound like a broken record by mi word yous are kicking a**!!

My bench has went to pot - wiggly wiggly.

week 10
    squat 5x5@ 75kg (165.3lbs)
    bench 5x5@30kg (66lbs)
    pendlay row 5x5 @ 35kg (77lbs)
    accessories: 3x16 reverse crunch, 8 full press ups, 4x5 inverted body weight rows, 132 air sqauts, 50 lunges, 2 mins farmer walk - 20kgs, 4 chin ups no fee, 7 chins ups with feet

Next week I'm going to do a deload and then serious look at what I want to achieve - nia shanks did a "deload to build strength" article this week - so maybe going onto the texas method or wendlers will help me man up on the bench & OHP...

happy lifting ladies x
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    ha next week I am having a week off in the wilds of Devon, I'm not even taking my workout kit I think, the huz was asking if we are taking running stuff and I think.. stuff it. No. We'll go to the beach, the pool, maybe take the girls for a pony ride, maybe hire bikes. We're self catering so won't go crazy on the food.

chilling is the prescription!

and then I'm going to come back and lift all the weights and eat all the protein and kick some serious gym *kitten*!

in the meantime, I have a session tonight and (maybe) Thursday so will make the most of it.

And you are all wonderful and inspiring and brilliant :)
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Zanyzana great work on your OHP. Pure awesomeness!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Zanyzana, I am right there with you on the OHP. Took me a month lifting much lighter weight before I could attempt the OLY bar. And I am stuck there probably for another month, LOL. But progress will be made by both of us. Just keep trying. It will come.
  • jogirlruns
    jogirlruns Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My turn - my last workout was on Sunday

Squat 100 lbs 5x5. I still think my form needs work! When I try to correct one thing, another goes wonky!
    OHP 50 lbs. Felt strong. Did that hip thrust thingy - felt ok, if not a bit silly. Still not ready to progress.
    Deads 115 lbs 1x5. Felt difficult, but managed ok with some wonky knee action on the last rep.

Ran for the first time in weeks, yesterday. Legs felt like cement! Got in 3 km at a much slower pace than my usual. Baby steps - I have 12 weeks or so until my 10 km race, so no rush.

Joanne
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hi,

First proper day today starting out.

5x5 Squats - 30kgs (66lbs)
    5x5 Bench - 20 kgs (45lbs)
    5x5 Rows - 25kgs (55lbs)

Stupid, on Saturday I did 30kgs on rows with the oly bar no probs. Today I tried to do the same weight on a smaller bar (so bar 5kgs and weights on it 25kgs) and I couldn't do it, well I could but form was poor so I reduced the weight. Only thing I can think of is that the weight was better distributed on the oly bar?
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpzqhr_starting-strength-deadlift-tutorial_sport

Someone posted this video in a different topic and I watched it to find out I've been doing my deadlifts wrong! Even though I had asked a trainer that seemed very qualified to show me form before I started. Wanted to share for all the other new people, because I've watched other videos but this one really broke it down to basics for me.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    A day, 50kg squat 3x3 tough but ok, last two sets pain in right knee. Hm.
    bench 35kg 3x5 hard but ok.
    botched maths on pendlay rows meant I did 2x5 at 35kg and then 3x5 at 37.5.

Pullup machine busy so managed one whole pushup, must work on these! Then HIIT on the bike.

Boys doing quarter squats, one said he was mesmerised by mine.. or was it my bootay?! Rectified by seeing 2 lads later doing great squats, had the pleasure of complimenting them on them!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Finally something to contribute. I haven't been to the gym in a week because of laziness and craziness. I managed to bang out all the reps, but it was not easy and now I need a nap.

Workout A
    Squats: 170lbs 3x5
    Bench: 100lbs 3x5
    Rows: 100lbs 3x5

I've been using http://www.strstd.com/ to determine where I stand with lifts. I've never tested my 1RM as I workout by myself and I'm a chicken, so this gives me a general idea of what I could do. My upper body lifts are a little sad.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My upper body lifts are a little sad.

100 lb rows are NOT sad, lady!

Week off for me to reevaluate and give my body a break. Making friends with Nia Shanks and dipping my toes into intermittent fasting and more natural eating. Which seems to have cured me of my affinity for Swiss Rolls already. Who'da thunk? There's 400+ calories I won't be stuffing into my system anymore. Buh bye.

Welcome to all the newcomers! Lift on!
  • hunt80
    hunt80 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did my very first work out on Monday and used the 45lbs barbell for all the exercises.
    I did phase one and phase two of NROL4W but I did not really like it because of all the "weird" stuff going on.
    I think I am more of a "routine" kind of person.
    So I figured, I start with 5x5 and see how it goes. My only issue I think will be the deadlift.
    I did that during NROL4W and my lower back hurt really bad. This time I think I will just try to do a semi sumo deadlift and hope that will help my lower back. (My first language is German so not sure how to explain it in English). Some of the bones in the lower back are "fused" together (which they shouldnt be) and that makes my lower back hurt. I am thinking that might be part of me not being able to deadlift using the"conventional" deadlift form.. I did 135lbs on NROL4W but my right lower back made me pay for it...So I am kind of glad to have to start over with only the barbell and figure out my form first.
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Today was a squats, OHP, DL day, and it was good!

Squats: 65 lbs
    OHP: 55 lbs
    DL: 145 lbs

My squat form is improving a lot so I'm pretty excited about that. I'm going to stick at 65 lbs until my form is solid and then I'll increase. OHP went well, despite progress being slow, which I expect. The deadlifts were the most exciting part though! I deadlifted my bodyweight!!! Well, it was 0.6 lbs less than BW, but close enough lol. Deadlifting my BW was a major goal for me, so I'm really excited that I did it! It was hard as all get out, but I succeeded. I'll probably repeat today's weight since it was really tough, but I'm looking forward to it.

I did have a really embarrassing moment at the gym today though. As my boyfriend and I were putting the oly bar back and unloading it, I walked right into it, knocking it off the bench press rack it was on. It fell to the floor, and in the process knocked a spring clip thingy up into my nose then across the floor. All the guys turned to look at me. It was so embarrassing! I just played it off though and got outta there fast! Other than that it was a good day :smile:
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    oh storm! I'd have laughed at myself and got it over with..

knee is still sore this morning, I'm guessing this means that I did something wrong? but it's usually the other knee I have to be careful of.. guess the week's holiday is coming at the right time :(
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Hello, "checking-in" (How's my check-in form, btw? Hopefully, it will improve with my lifting form! I am clearly "untrained".)

I actually progressed in my squats! I finished my first set at 27.5 kg, then thought to myself that it seemed slightly "easy", especially compared to the first time I did that weight. Swapped out for 30kg, and actually managed to complete 5 more sets at that weight without too much difficulty. This was the first time I completed a weight that I had previously attempted and completely failed at.

Squats: 30kg (5x5)
    Bench: 27.5kg (4 4 3 2 2, basically failed miserably)
    Rows: 27.5 (5x5 these don't seem crazy hard, could it be that I'm doing them totally incorrectly? Yes, I know, form check video... I will one day)

Have a nice day!
  • grandevampire
    Options
    I did my very first work out on Monday and used the 45lbs barbell for all the exercises.
    I did phase one and phase two of NROL4W but I did not really like it because of all the "weird" stuff going on.
    I think I am more of a "routine" kind of person.
    So I figured, I start with 5x5 and see how it goes. My only issue I think will be the deadlift.
    I did that during NROL4W and my lower back hurt really bad. This time I think I will just try to do a semi sumo deadlift and hope that will help my lower back. (My first language is German so not sure how to explain it in English). Some of the bones in the lower back are "fused" together (which they shouldnt be) and that makes my lower back hurt. I am thinking that might be part of me not being able to deadlift using the"conventional" deadlift form.. I did 135lbs on NROL4W but my right lower back made me pay for it...So I am kind of glad to have to start over with only the barbell and figure out my form first.
    Congrats on your first workout! "fused" is also the term in English, I believe. As for the impact on deadlifts, I am not qualified in the least to say! I would guess that it wouldn't be a good idea to continue "as-is" anything that hurt, so either it's just a form issue, or it has to do with existing back issues. Will let the experts in here answer!
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    experts? nobody told me there were experts! ;)

congrats on your new PR!
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

Checking in after a 2 week hiatus due to burn out! Going to listen to my body more and eat more this time! Still REALLY struggling to get anywhere near my protein intake goals, but oh well :/

28kg dumbbell squat
    16kg dumbbell bench press
    35kg deadlift
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Today is Squats, OHP, and deads also some accessory leg work. Enjoy the hump day ladies and rock your workouts!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's workout:

After pulling the poor unloved squat rack out of the corner at the gym (I'm visiting my parents):

Squats
    5x5 @ 170
    OHP
    5x5 @70
    Deadlift
    1x5 @195
    Pushups
    3x15
    Vertical leg lifts
    3x12

Then I helped my folks weed their almost vertical hillsides. And this morning I am discovering little tiny muscles in my thighs I didn't know existed. Good times, good times.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You ladies are all doing awesome on your lifts!! Today is Squat, Bench and Rows for me. I have been working on squats for the longest time and I have FINALLY got to a place where I am no longer in pain while doing them!! I had to deload quite a bit and now my hip flexors feel great!! So I no longer hate squats:) Now I hate rows because they just feel so awkward to do.

Squats - 82lbs
    Bench -65lbs
    Rows- 60lbs