The august ladies' August check in and chat

Options

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Random, if it was easy everyone would be doing it! Look at the vids in the sticky, they are helpful.
    leithy, welcome, OHPs aren't easy but keep at it and you will get there, just don't expect rapid progress. My top tip is to make sure -everything- is clenched!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I like bench presses even though my bench press isn't all that :drinker:

I'm trying my very best to not hate OHPs, because I like how they made my shoulders look

I will try clenching things a bit more for these lifts
  • glitterballv
    glitterballv Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Worked out yesterday

Squat 60kg
    Bench press 35kg
    Barbell row 47.5kg

I am super excited that I am getting close to body weight for my squats!

Added in a few leg presses and then 16 mn of tabata hiit bodyweight stuff. Kind of proud of myself that I actually did burpees slightly randomly in the middle of the gym.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    B day today
    47.5kg squats 3x5 hard, a bit starry, not sure why ?blood donation Friday?
    22.5kg ohp 3x5 still working on wiggle timing!
    Deadlift 1x5 each at 50,55,60,65kg to try and work on form which still really worries me. Starry on last set again.

Assisted pullups, at 40kg assistance, despair of unaided ones!

HIIT on bike.

Clangered.
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    We are an awesome bunch aren't we!

Big pround puffed up chest moment for me - drum roll please....

I just deadlifted 80kg!!! 176.3lbs (or 400kg /881.5lbs in total over 5lifts)
    FECK ME!!!!!!!!!! just amazed myself...
    so today
    week 10:
    Squat 5x5@72.5kg (159.8lbs) felt - ok - was scared to go up after having a wobble and cury back moment - but going up on tuesday!
    OHP 3x5@ 22.5kg (49.6lbs) 2x5@ 25kg (55lbs) - I am just crap - think going to move to 3x5 and try and move up - driving me mad!
    Deadlift 1x5@ 80kg (1763lbs) yippppeeeeeeeeeee

ladies who lift problems - my bar is now full...:sad: so I either need to buy a weighted bar, or try and get 2x 20kg 1inch bored weights.... what a problem to have.:laugh:

accessory stuff - 10 full push ups, 32 full sit ups, 3x 6 inverted body weight rows, 2x1min planks, 1x45sec plank, 122 air squats4 no feet chin ups, 8 feet chin ups.

Away to go do a few flexy arm moves in front of the mirror.

happy lifting ladies.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Daisy, time to buy more weights!

wow, my HRM says 726 cals burned.. it's normally under 400.. I'm guessing the blood is definitely the cause, as my heart rate is still high and I'm still a bit dizzy and I'm back home!

I actually got off the exercise bike and lay straight on the floor after my HIIT...

hoping a shower resolved everything :)
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    lwoodroff - watch your (awesome) self - heavy + sparklies & HITT not a good combo - and make sure your shower is pretty cool - no warms, or hot here. xx

and having a browse online right now, credit card about to get hit aherm - weights and weights and more weights..(hubby ssuggestion why do I just do more reps with a low weight - BOG OFF!)
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Bog off indeed! And my hubby who reckons I should do 50% cardio!

Shower was just warm, and I'm taking things slow :-)
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    I hate hate hate bench pressing... is there any other alternative exercise? :laugh:
    Push-ups?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Random, if it was easy everyone would be doing it! Look at the vids in the sticky, they are helpful.
    leithy, welcome, OHPs aren't easy but keep at it and you will get there, just don't expect rapid progress. My top tip is to make sure -everything- is clenched!

Lol it is far from it being about easy. When I bench press I feel dizzy from laying down and very uncoordinated. I just do all the other exercises and I am progressing well from them. I just wanted something that would work as well as bench pressing. Not "bench pressing is too hard waa waa" :smile:
  • randomtai
    Options
    I hate hate hate bench pressing... is there any other alternative exercise? :laugh:
    Push-ups?

I already do those as part of my routine.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

Lol it is far from it being about easy. When I bench press I feel dizzy from laying down and very uncoordinated. I just do all the other exercises and I am progressing well from them. I just wanted something that would work as well as bench pressing. Not "bench pressing is too hard waa waa" :smile:

If you are feeling dizzy laying down on a bench maybe that needs looking at rather than an alternate exercise?
  • randomtai
    Options

If you are feeling dizzy laying down on a bench maybe that needs looking at rather than an alternate exercise?

It is nothing medical, trust me. I am just asking for alternate exercises. I have tried incline bench pressing and that seems to be a little better. But thanks anyway for your help.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Sorry! Do you feel dizzy lying on the floor or other flat surface? Like you say, in that case the incline might help.. :-)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    It is nothing medical, trust me. I am just asking for alternate exercises. I have tried incline bench pressing and that seems to be a little better. But thanks anyway for your help.

If lying flat on your back makes you feel dizzy, try starting with low weights/dumbbells and work your way up. Engage your leg muscles and torso to stabilize yourself. Bench pressing has nothing to do with lying down for a nap because it's actually a whole-body lift and all your muscles are needed for support and movement. Focusing on that might help you deal with the dizziness.

Alternatively, you can do incline presses (with the understanding that different muscles are going to be worked) and push-ups.

You may need to work your way up to actual bench presses. No shame in that. Do what you gotta.
  • randomtai
    Options

If lying flat on your back makes you feel dizzy, try starting with low weights/dumbbells and work your way up. Engage your leg muscles and torso to stabilize yourself. Bench pressing has nothing to do with lying down for a nap because it's actually a whole-body lift and all your muscles are needed for support and movement. Focusing on that might help you deal with the dizziness.

Alternatively, you can do incline presses (with the understanding that different muscles are going to be worked) and push-ups.

You may need to work your way up to actual bench presses. No shame in that. Do what you gotta.

Thanks for the information. This is what I have to do for that portion of the program. I am fine with my bench progressing slow or not at all. My other lifts are going well. :smile:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. This is what I have to do for that portion of the program. I am fine with my bench progressing slow or not at all. My other lifts are going well. :smile:

Hey listen, for us ladies having those bulging chesticles the guys are after, is probably not such a big deal anyway.:smile:

So while it's awesome to press a good deal of weight, if you're actually going for functional strength, there's other ways to strengthen those muscles. There's nothing at all wrong with push-ups, they're a fabulous exercise, and if you make those progressively harder by doing variations, you'll train those chest and upper body muscles just as nicely as with bench presses. It's fine as long as you're fine and you're not training for a powerlifting meet where you have to bench or whatever. :happy:

There's certainly been times that I've thrown certain exercises at my body and it was like "you want to do WHAT? I don't think so", and I've had to adapt by starting way lower in newbie land, or by finding an alternative. It's cool. :drinker:
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Hallo,

Not sure if I know how to "check-in", or if anyone cares about my n00bly progress but here are my weakling (seriously!?) numbers:

Squat: 27.5 kg (STILL. The final sets are getting easier, so I guess I'm progressing, but I won't bother moving up until I feel solid on my form) <-- I feel silly that this little weight is so hard for me when you are all doing 115lbs+, i.e. twice as much...Is it "normal" to be that weak??
    Bench: 25 kg (still wobbly throughout the ROM, I will stick with this weight until my path becomes direct)
    Rows: 25 kg
    OHP: 18 kg w/dumbells (I got 4 reps in with the 20kg bar then said nope, not happenin')
    Deadlift: 50 kg (this is the only thing I feel like I can still continue to up my weight on...)

So yeah, basically snoozefest. Sorry!
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Oh, also, last time I benched, my glute started to cramp up, so I guess I am engaging my core. Lol. *butt cramp = embarrassing*
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    lol at butt cramp. I have a twitchy muscle in my right thigh after yesterday, it's quite irritating!

anyway, don't fret about your numbers. they are heavy -for you- and that is all that matters :)