The august ladies' August check in and chat

Options

Replies

• grandevampire
    Options
    lol at butt cramp. I have a twitchy muscle in my right thigh after yesterday, it's quite irritating!

anyway, don't fret about your numbers. they are heavy -for you- and that is all that matters :)
    Lol, I know you just said don't worry about the numbers, but out of pure curiosity I decided to do a little Googling and I found this (I know ExRx isn't a gold standard reference or anything)
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/SquatStandards.html

Good to know that by SOMEONE's standards, I'm totally normal for an untrained woman at 132 lbs. :P (Also, if I ever make it to novice, I may be in the 110 lb squat range!)
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I'm not even at novice for my bodyweight on that if it helps :)
  • grandevampire
    Options
    I'm not even at novice for my bodyweight on that if it helps :)
    It shouldn't matter, but yes, yes it does. That's because I look up to you guys and because I know you are doing great. If I can ever be where you are at now, I'll be mighty proud of myself!
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I did Workout B today after a few weeks rest from any lifting whatsoever.

Squats @95# PR is 105# but wasn't feeling the love

OHP @45# This is my hardest lift and can't seem to increase

Deadlifts @115# Ready to increase weight

Would love any advice on how to increase on the OHP and BP. My left arm/shoulder is noticeably weaker than the right and that is keeping me from advancing weight.

I ask a guy in the gym the other day that does OHP ( and he is like the only other person in there that does them) how he gets so much weight up because I cant progress past 58lbs. He said he seriously tightens everything. He said tighten core, squeeze butt and push up. It did help some, though because he was watching me I felt awkward squeezing my butt in front of him lol so I will work one it.
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Options
    Workout A yesterday:

Squat: 85 lbs ( I am really bouncing back and forth on the weight on these by my choice)
    Bench: 2 1/2 @ 85 lbs (New PR) was proud to get up at least 2 1/2 sets of 5, 2@80lbs
    Didn't get rows in because there were guys taking up my rack so I did some other back exercises

Also worked core and tricep

Pushed out 5 push ups no problem. 5 doesn't sound like much but I'll take it since there was a time I couldn't do 1 without struggle. I also did assisted pull-ups and was able to knock down my assistance level a little :):drinker: :drinker: Here is to new levels of excellence in August.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hey SugarJunkie, I don't mind tightening my glutes because it actually makes them look rounder! And anyone who wants to watch can look free of charge, LOL.

The OHP is my nemesis but have found I have better performance when I focus mightily and tighten all those core muscles, glutes, etc. and it does help when no one is watching.

Doing Workout A today and probably won't increase any weights since it has been a while. Will be thrilled if I can lift what I did before taking a break.

Onward ladies!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    lol at butt cramp. I have a twitchy muscle in my right thigh after yesterday, it's quite irritating!

anyway, don't fret about your numbers. they are heavy -for you- and that is all that matters :)
    Lol, I know you just said don't worry about the numbers, but out of pure curiosity I decided to do a little Googling and I found this (I know ExRx isn't a gold standard reference or anything)
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/SquatStandards.html

Good to know that by SOMEONE's standards, I'm totally normal for an untrained woman at 132 lbs. :P (Also, if I ever make it to novice, I may be in the 110 lb squat range!)

Hmmm intermediate range, not bad :)

Just keep plucking away and adding weight when you can and soon you will be warming up with them numbers :drinker:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies.

I did so well today (in my book)
    I overhead pressed: 55 lbs
    Shrugs: 65 lbs
    Deadlift: 75 lbs
    Bend over row: 75 lbs
    Squats: 60 lbs
    Machine Crunches: 60 lbs

Sore but feel great. :)
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Looking good - randomtai

Sugar Junkie - I'm trying to up my press ups as well - lets do this!

I am intermediate on squats & dealifts and untrained on the bench press! he he he must bench harder
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Options
    Hey SugarJunkie, I don't mind tightening my glutes because it actually makes them look rounder! And anyone who wants to watch can look free of charge, LOL.

The OHP is my nemesis but have found I have better performance when I focus mightily and tighten all those core muscles, glutes, etc. and it does help when no one is watching.

Doing Workout A today and probably won't increase any weights since it has been a while. Will be thrilled if I can lift what I did before taking a break.

Onward ladies!

lol guess I didn't look at it that way. But when I did squeeze I did feel a huge difference in what the movement worked. Man tightening my core and glutes on that exercise put doing crunches to shame as far as my core felt. It was nice. I told him I would practice my "squeezing" when I didn't have a dead on audience. It was funny.
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Options
    Looking good - randomtai

Sugar Junkie - I'm trying to up my press ups as well - lets do this!

I am intermediate on squats & dealifts and untrained on the bench press! he he he must bench harder

Girl we got this 100% and we will improve the month of august! I want to hit at least 60 lbs on my OHP by September!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Wow, there are some impressive workouts going on in here. :flowerforyou:

My last workout was on Saturday. Don't know if it was A or B.

Squat = 110, I'm feeling ready to go up.

Bench Press = 60

Rows = 65

20 minute stairmaster.

I'm feeling very weak... PMS :sad: :laugh: :frown:

Have a great day!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Okay, just back from the gym and I'm knackered.

Squats 5x5 @100#. (Up 5# but still below my PR)

Bench Press 5x5 @60# (no change and a little wobbly so will stay here another week)

Pendlay Row 5x5 @70# (increase of 5# and PR)

I did a spinning class right after and it was challenging. I could eat a horse. So hungry.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Workout B (4th workout total)

Squats: 50lbs (up from 45) 5x5 - really working hard on form, still not pretty. I'll get there though. Will go up to 55 next time as increasing the weight this time seemed to help a little, oddly.

OHP: 50 (up from 45) 4x5; 45 1x5 - So hard. So very hard. Had to drop back to bar only for the last set, but I'm okay with that. It allowed me to finish strongly and with confidence. Will do 50 again next workout.

Deadlift: 75 (up from 65) 1x5 - Felt good! Need to work on my form, overall very pleased with these.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I've been doing SL for about a year, I don't usually log here but after a few months of slacking, only getting in one session per week or so, I'm ready to get serious again and keep working while losing the 5-10 lbs of fat I've put on along with the muscle. :blushing:

I got 3 good sessions in last week and kept my diet in check and WILL keep it up! Maintenance is SO much harder than I anticipated! It's too easy to give in and go overboard too often.

Here's my lifts for today:

Squats: 3x5 at 130 lbs, I am working on keeping good form, I have a hard time due to abdominal separation and a small hernia from my pregnancies so I try not to push squats TOO hard. Slow and steady increase and deload when I need it.

OHP: 3x5 at 65 lbs- not my PR at all but I was taking it easy since I was hitting the DL really hard today.

Deadlift: 1x5 at 197 lbs! My PR is 200, that was a month or so ago and had to deload a bit since I haven't been lifting as regularly. Hope to consistently DL above 200 soon!

Thanks for that link, glad to see I'm considered Intermediate even on my wimpy OHP! (it helps that I'm only 5'2" and relatively light)
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    W3D1 of Texas -
    Squats - 5x5 @160
    Bench - 4x5@105
    DL - 1X5@205! I did 3 at 205 last week, then did the last two at 200. But this week I got all 5. Not sure if I'll increase it next week or repeat 205.

Last Friday I attempted and miserably failed at an OHP 1RM @100 lbs. I made two attempts, the second going a little higher than the first one. Then I decided to try 95 lbs, since I had done that about a month ago. But I think I was so fried from the 100 attempts that I didn't make it.

I was away at a friend's 40th birthday party and had an "EAT ALL THE CARBZ!" weekend. Must get back to eating normally.
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Options
    Okay, just back from the gym and I'm knackered.

Squats 5x5 @100#. (Up 5# but still below my PR)

Bench Press 5x5 @60# (no change and a little wobbly so will stay here another week)

Pendlay Row 5x5 @70# (increase of 5# and PR)

I did a spinning class right after and it was challenging. I could eat a horse. So hungry.

Great work :)
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Well, ladies, I left the gym crowing! I finally finally finally managed to OHP 5x5 Oly bar! Yay! I think I'll repeat this weight next time and see if its any easier, or see if I can add an extra press eat set before I increase the weight.

I've kept my squats at 25kg. I'm really focusing on form. When I feel confident that I'm doing 5x5 in good for, with no tipping forwards or squatting above parallel, I'll increase.

And I deadlifted the 60kgs I hoped for - 1x5. Yay! It's hard work getting the 20kg weights on the bar! Maybe I'll be dead lifting my body weight by the end of August? Omg!!
  • ErinRibbens
    Options
    W3D1 of Texas -
    Squats - 5x5 @160
    Bench - 4x5@105
    DL - 1X5@205! I did 3 at 205 last week, then did the last two at 200. But this week I got all 5. Not sure if I'll increase it next week or repeat 205.

Last Friday I attempted and miserably failed at an OHP 1RM @100 lbs. I made two attempts, the second going a little higher than the first one. Then I decided to try 95 lbs, since I had done that about a month ago. But I think I was so fried from the 100 attempts that I didn't make it.

I was away at a friend's 40th birthday party and had an "EAT ALL THE CARBZ!" weekend. Must get back to eating normally.

Even with a failure, that is an AMAZING OHP!!! :drinker:
  • ErinRibbens
    Options
    zanyzana, that's awesome. OHP is tough!!!