Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Just to say Hi.

Options
MissyCHF
MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
Hello, I have been a low carber - not keto, several times, now I'm trying again so please be patient whilst I waffle. In my twenties I read Prof. John Yudkins, This Slimming Business and Pure White & Deadly. I ate low carb for about two years, then went back to carbs. I then read Dr Atkins book, I think his first, then low carbed again for about two years. Since then I have yo-yo'd between the two.

I'm very old now, with arthritis and high blood pressure and know low carbing will improve both. So I hope you will bear with me.
«1

Replies

  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Just getting back in the groove myself, working to relieve joint pain, among other things. Best wishes to you!

    Mary
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Many thanks Mary. :smile:
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome @smithmssycatsmithiris30. You may find the link to the following article interesting specifically with respect to arthritis:

    http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm getting up there a bit myself in years! I eat very low carb and what I eat takes me back to when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s. Just real food. We'd walk up the road to the neighbor's farm, go to their spring house, leave a quarter and grab a gallon jug of milk out of the water. It was at least 1/3 cream. To this day, I shake milk containers. We bought their butter too. I don't remember the cost but it wasn't much.

    I wish I had my Mom's old copy of the Atkins book circa 1970 something just for old time sake. The diet I really remember her doing though was the Stillman Diet. Not a particularly healthy eating plan. :#
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Welcome.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your welcome.

    ladipoet, I'm going out to meet two friends for coffee, mine with cream, one friend black coffee, the other, tap water only... :) I will read the article when I get back, thank you.

    kpk54, I remember fresh country milk too and farm butter. It was wartime when I was a child, our bacon ration was 2ozs each per week! So I love dry cured (no water added) bacon now. :)

  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Mary! I look forward to hearing about your progress. My mom deals with similar issues to yours, plus T2 diabetes and more. I wish I get her to adopt a LCHF lifestyle.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Hello and welcome @smithmssycatsmithiris30. You may find the link to the following article interesting specifically with respect to arthritis:

    http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm
    I have read this article and find it very interesting, my arthritis is of the knees and hips and is the wear and tear type. My late husband suffered from Rheumatoid Arthritis and tried many treatments. I wonder if borax could have helped him. Thank you again.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    @MissyCHF ...no problem. You are welcome. A good friend of mine (my God-Mother actually who just turned 75 earlier this week) suffers with pain and arthritis. She spend most of Christmas Day with me, my mother and a handful of other close family friends. She and her boyfriend got a copy of the article too. She's a registered nurse mind you and started doing the protocol outlined there. Something I didn't know was that she'd been living on pain pills for many years partly in connection with her arthritis. When we spoke this past Monday, she informed me that she has not taken a single pain pill in 3 days straight since starting the protocol so I guess it's working for her.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    @MissyCHF ...no problem. You are welcome. A good friend of mine (my God-Mother actually who just turned 75 earlier this week) suffers with pain and arthritis. She spend most of Christmas Day with me, my mother and a handful of other close family friends. She and her boyfriend got a copy of the article too. She's a registered nurse mind you and started doing the protocol outlined there. Something I didn't know was that she'd been living on pain pills for many years partly in connection with her arthritis. When we spoke this past Monday, she informed me that she has not taken a single pain pill in 3 days straight since starting the protocol so I guess it's working for her.

    @ladipoet - holy mackerel! That is phenomenal!!! I know that taking Boron (I got tired of mixing my Borax myself) was the only thing that finally stopped the radiating bone pain I had in my legs...that was worse when I was excessively tired. I'm still not exactly sure I understand the mechanism fully, but I know with zinc and boron, my cell walls are stronger, etc. It was incredible when it worked!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @ladipoet - holy mackerel! That is phenomenal!!! I know that taking Boron (I got tired of mixing my Borax myself) was the only thing that finally stopped the radiating bone pain I had in my legs...that was worse when I was excessively tired. I'm still not exactly sure I understand the mechanism fully, but I know with zinc and boron, my cell walls are stronger, etc. It was incredible when it worked!

    I know, right @KnitOrMiss???!! I was, of course, tickled to death that my Godmother was open-minded enough to try it and even more delighted to know that it's already having a positive impact on both her and her boyfriend's life. I can't get past the taste myself so I'm going to be ordering some boron for myself the next time I place an order for supplements, but what I find even more amusing is that since hearing my Godmother sing praises of the protocol, my mother is trying it too. LOLZ Who does she think I brought the article home for anyway??!! (Mom has arthritis on 3 vertebrae in her lower back = lots of lower back pain especially when she stands on her feet for long periods of time.) I really have you to thank for all of this too Knit...I'm so glad you shared the link to that article with me my friend!!!! Bless you for that.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @ladipoet - holy mackerel! That is phenomenal!!! I know that taking Boron (I got tired of mixing my Borax myself) was the only thing that finally stopped the radiating bone pain I had in my legs...that was worse when I was excessively tired. I'm still not exactly sure I understand the mechanism fully, but I know with zinc and boron, my cell walls are stronger, etc. It was incredible when it worked!

    I know, right @KnitOrMiss???!! I was, of course, tickled to death that my Godmother was open-minded enough to try it and even more delighted to know that it's already having a positive impact on both her and her boyfriend's life. I can't get past the taste myself so I'm going to be ordering some boron for myself the next time I place an order for supplements, but what I find even more amusing is that since hearing my Godmother sing praises of the protocol, my mother is trying it too. LOLZ Who does she think I brought the article home for anyway??!! (Mom has arthritis on 3 vertebrae in her lower back = lots of lower back pain especially when she stands on her feet for long periods of time.) I really have you to thank for all of this too Knit...I'm so glad you shared the link to that article with me my friend!!!! Bless you for that.

    @ladipoet - It takes a village, right? And sharing awesome finds like that is the best part of this group! We're all looking out for each other! :)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @ladipoet - It takes a village, right? And sharing awesome finds like that is the best part of this group! We're all looking out for each other! :)

    So much AMEN to this @KnitOrMiss...you said it girl! :)<3
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I missed that link so I appreciate the re-post.

    Welcome to Missy and Mary!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I gotta check the boron out..... Just got more osteo x-rayed in my left foot.... It's affecting my stiletto habit. Getting cold laser at the moment to see if it helps.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Hello and welcome @smithmssycatsmithiris30. You may find the link to the following article interesting specifically with respect to arthritis:

    http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm

    Interesting you would post that about Borax. As an organic farmer I add borax to my fields. I started on the advice of a friend who found her vegetables had fewer problems growing with the addition. It certainly makes for healthy plants and has prevented our tomatoes and squash from getting blossom end rot that we use to get every season and most other people experience around here regularly. I never researched borax as an organic fertilizer supplement and the organic farm inspectors never found fault with the additive. So, I continue to add it to my compost before spreading it.

    Thanks for the info on it.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Interesting you would post that about Borax. As an organic farmer I add borax to my fields. I started on the advice of a friend who found her vegetables had fewer problems growing with the addition. It certainly makes for healthy plants and has prevented our tomatoes and squash from getting blossom end rot that we use to get every season and most other people experience around here regularly. I never researched borax as an organic fertilizer supplement and the organic farm inspectors never found fault with the additive. So, I continue to add it to my compost before spreading it.

    Thanks for the info on it.

    No problem, You are welcome. It was actually @KnitOrMiss that turned me on to it!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I actually ran into the article in reading this series: http://gwens-nest.com/part-iii-skeptics-proof-and-hope-like-20-mules/
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    A very interesting article. I haven't bought any boron yet because I'm prescribed Accrete D3 tablets by my doctor so want to check with her first.