New to Keto...Any assistance is appreciated.

Options
2»

Replies

• 357girl
    357girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    starr68 wrote: »
    I am VERY new to the whole Keto experience. My husband is diabetic and was recently told to cut carbs as a last-ditch effort to avoid insulin. As a support to him I am also planning the same. Who knew there were so many foods "good for you" that were so high in carbs... bananas and berries for instance.
    DH is NOT a fruit and veggie person and loves to snack on puddings and easy things .. oranges are too much like work according to him lol.
    What I am looking for is ideas on snacks.. and how to get the proper balance of carbs fat and protein. I have downloaded the total Keto app and have visited a few sites but man is it confusing.
    I am hoping we can DO this. We are so set in our eating habits AND he is very picky eater!

Check out ruled.me. (I swear, I'm not affiliated! I've been following it a few months before deciding to go Keto and there is a lot of great information there).
  • 357girl
    357girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good post. I just started a few days ago. I am ill for sure. Walking around like a zombie. Hope this passes soon. Thanks for the ramen recipe.

The cauliflower fried "rice" sounds really good too.

Do drink lots of water and try collagen bone broth with a little added sea salt and morton's lite salt (it has potassium) to help with keto flu. It's helped me so that I don't feel bad.
  • HdezJ
    HdezJ Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Always remember KISS
    Keep It Simple Stupid
    Funny but true. If you make simple but tasty meal preps it will be easier.
    For example my meal plan

Keto coffee
    Eggs, cheese, and bacon
    Peanut Butter
    Salad with pulled pork (no BBQ sauce)
    Avocado, hamburger with lettuce as buns

Oh and lots of water
  • mhernandez0502
    mhernandez0502 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Began Keto on 2/17 at 195 lbs. I have lost 7 lbs which is mostly water weight I'm sure. I meal prep on Sundays for my husband and I (breakfast and lunch). That has been a lifesaver and what keeps me focused and not tempted to eat outside of Keto. I try to drink between 64-84 ounces of water daily. I find that keeping track of it on MFP has helped a lot! Not sure if it's enough water with this diet but for someone that barely drinks 32 ounces per day, means something! Our meal prep usually consist of eggs, cheese and bacon and spinach for breakfast. I've made breakfast with this items the "traditional way", meaning scrambled eggs with cheese and pieces of bacon, I have done breakfast cups and even a casserole. For lunch, I pick up a crazy recipe and make it my own for the protein and add riced cauliflower as it is the only veggie I can eat right now (Veggies are a challenge). For dinner, I cook a Keto based protein and include a side for the kids while husband and I eat it with some sort of salad. However, this week we are finding it easy to do IF, so we are only having 2 meals/day. I guess it's because we feel so full with the meals that 3 meals a day are unnecessary (at least for now). We'll see how it goes on weigh-in day. Really trying to stick to this and see where it takes us. We also lift and I have not been able to the past 2 weeks but I don't think it's Keto. Simply laziness. We'll see what happens once I try to lift something. LOL
  • genjuro99
    genjuro99 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I welcome the supporters feel free to add me
  • anelyaG
    anelyaG Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started KETO Jan. 7th,2018. I have lost 15 LBS. I feel like the weight loss is slowing down, ready to see the scale move again. I am almost out of the 180's and I can't wait to see 179!

Have you tried intermittent fasting?
  • sallyann8
    sallyann8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My hu
    357girl wrote: »
    starr68 wrote: »
    I am VERY new to the whole Keto experience. My husband is diabetic and was recently told to cut carbs as a last-ditch effort to avoid insulin. As a support to him I am also planning the same. Who knew there were so many foods "good for you" that were so high in carbs... bananas and berries for instance.
    DH is NOT a fruit and veggie person and loves to snack on puddings and easy things .. oranges are too much like work according to him lol.
    What I am looking for is ideas on snacks.. and how to get the proper balance of carbs fat and protein. I have downloaded the total Keto app and have visited a few sites but man is it confusing.
    I am hoping we can DO this. We are so set in our eating habits AND he is very picky eater!

I'm eating this way purely because my husband is diabetic and I don't want to end up with it after seeing all the other health issues it brings with it. :# I cook for my husband even if I'm skipping meals. Breakfast tends to be scrambled eggs made with butter and cheese plus bacon or/ and mushrooms /courgettes. lunch soup or salad with meat and cheese. dinner lots of recipes on diet doctor. cauliflower rice/ mash replace rice and potatoes. We both love cabbage shredded and cooked with butter and cream, great with lamb chops or chicken or steak. I make dessert only at weekend, something simple like berries and cream (I weigh the berries) or a quick chocolate mousse (diet doctor) I've just found another great site 'What the fat' and I'm going to make the cheesy cottage pie tomorrow. For a snack I love toasting pumpkin seeds and then putting sea salt on them when still warm (I weigh them as they're very moreish! :)