rs2332 Posts: 116 Member
Hi Everyone,

Starting weight 242Lbs : April 2015
Current Weight : 190 Lbs
Lowest : 185Lbs
Goal weight 165 - 170lbs
Body Fat % start : 30%
Current : 18%

I discovered OMAD last Feb when i hit a weight loss plateau and was able to get down from 200 to 185 in a matter of 2 months. Life took over after that and i have steadily added pounds and currently hovering around 190 lbs

I have been working out 4 to 5 times a week lifting and running 1 or 2 days a week and i am ready to get to my goal weight by summer. This holiday season was brutal with binge eating and i got all the way to 200.

My challenges : I work a desk job and i get sudden hunger spikes during the day. Since i WFH i end up eating during my fasting window. Mostly clean stuff but i go down hill fast when i get my hands on junk food.

During the fast i have coffee with coconut oil and 3 small unsalted crackers and an apple. I cannot make it all day without anything but water. My OMAD meal is usually 1600 - 1800 calories consisting of mostly clean food with a little bit of dark chocolate.

I am going to be posting photos and updates daily going forward. I see so many success stories in this community and aim to be one soon!

Happy Fasting!

Replies

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Welcome! It's a wonderful group :)
  • rs2332
    Welcome! It's a wonderful group :)

Thank you!!
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Welcome to the group! OMAD is a great WOE and I am sure you will do fine. We are all here to support and encourage.
  • rs2332
    Welcome to the group! OMAD is a great WOE and I am sure you will do fine. We are all here to support and encourage.

Thanks a lot!!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    I'm similar to you. I started Sept 2015 at 252 and am 198 now (lost weight doing OMAD [21:3] type of eating]). I hope to get to about 175. How tall are you?

I lost the majority of my weight the first 5-months doing OMAD. Since then I put on 10-lbs twice and lost it and some more. I finally figured out that I can maintain and not gain or gain very slowly by eating a low carb salad lunch and then eat ad libitum in the evenings. To lose i need to fast tell dinner and then I can eat ad libitum in the evenings (probably 1800-2400 kcals) and I can lose weight. You might try the maintenance schedule I mentioned when that is what your goal is. Good luck!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Glad you decided to start posting with us, you got this!!! :)
  • rs2332
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I'm similar to you. I started Sept 2015 at 252 and am 198 now (lost weight doing OMAD [21:3] type of eating]). I hope to get to about 175. How tall are you?

I lost the majority of my weight the first 5-months doing OMAD. Since then I put on 10-lbs twice and lost it and some more. I finally figured out that I can maintain and not gain or gain very slowly by eating a low carb salad lunch and then eat ad libitum in the evenings. To lose i need to fast tell dinner and then I can eat ad libitum in the evenings (probably 1800-2400 kcals) and I can lose weight. You might try the maintenance schedule I mentioned when that is what your goal is. Good luck!

Thanks for the good feedback. I am 5'10. I absolutely have no challenges not eating anything till 3 pm and survive on coffee but after that it gets harder. Congratulations on your weight loss. That's inspiring! I am very determined to get to 170 by June 1st!
  • rs2332
    Glad you decided to start posting with us, you got this!!! :)

Thanks Brenda. Your journey is inspirational!
  • rs2332
    Daily update : yesterday I had an apple, a solid protein and other superfood smoothie around 650 cals and 400 calories worth of protein chips that I enjoy. Friday nights are usually our date nights and with a little one it's hard to go out so I got chic fil a for my wife and had a bite of her burger. I approximately stayed around 1800 calories yesterday.

Weekends are when I go off track a bit since it's off my regular schedule but determined to stay the course and not binge during superbly.

What are some good weekend statergies you guys use to stay focused?

Have a productive day!
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Welcome!
    I generally treated the weekends like normal weekdays, so the only advice I have that helped me when I did lose focus is to NOT binge Food Network! I love FN, but watching hours back-to-back PLUS all of the food commercials really makes it hard! I would say to just keep busy like you would on a weekday, even if it's just with a hobby or running errands or playing with your little one, and the day will fly by like normal.
  • rs2332
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    Welcome!
    I generally treated the weekends like normal weekdays, so the only advice I have that helped me when I did lose focus is to NOT binge Food Network! I love FN, but watching hours back-to-back PLUS all of the food commercials really makes it hard! I would say to just keep busy like you would on a weekday, even if it's just with a hobby or running errands or playing with your little one, and the day will fly by like normal.

Yup those are good inputs. Appreciate it! I just start craving salt after 4pm! So today I had Acv with lime and Himalayan pink salt. Hopefully that will help!
  • rs2332
    Question for those who lift and run. Does drinking a protein shake with whey and creatine after working out against omad rules? I am on a rigorous lifting routine 6 days a week and usually workout during lunch and don't have my omad meal. Till 8pm
  • brittdee88
    That drink sounds amazing! I also drink acv daily and love how it improves my digestion. I wonder if your salt cravings are related to electrolyte imbalance? Have you tried electrolyte water/replacements?

I don't run, but I do HIIT 3x a week and resistance training twice a week. I always have a protein bar or shake immediately after. @blambo61 can weigh in here as well, as he is an avid runner. It isn't technically 100% OMAD, but it never hurt my losses, and I think it is more harmful for recovery to not have them, especially when your next meal isn't for several hours. I will say that I only work out fasted and it looks like you sometimes eat during the day, so I don't know if that might affect it or not.
  • blambo61
    edited February 2018
    rs2332 wrote: »
    Question for those who lift and run. Does drinking a protein shake with whey and creatine after working out against omad rules? I am on a rigorous lifting routine 6 days a week and usually workout during lunch and don't have my omad meal. Till 8pm

I don't think there are any hard rules. OMAD as laid out here has some rules that will work for most people. A lot of us have deviated. I eat ad libitum in the evenings when I eat and that is my deviation.

I might have problems doing what you described. Once I start eating, I want to keep going. You could try and see how it works out for you. When I run, it kills my appetite for a couple of hours so you might experience that also after lifting and then maybe you could have your shake a couple hours after lifting when you start getting really hungry to get you through to dinner. That probably wouldn't lead to continued eating which I would have a problem with if I had the shake early. If you don't want to change you lifting schedule, that is what I would probably do. If you can eat your shake right after and it doesn't turn on the appitite so you don't eat for the rest of the evening, then that would be very acceptable IMO. Do you have enough energy lifting at lunch doing OMAD? Good luck.
  • rs2332
    rs2332 wrote: »

I don't think there are any hard rules. OMAD as laid out here has some rules that will work for most people. A lot of us have deviated. I eat ad libitum in the evenings when I eat and that is my deviation.

I might have problems doing what you described. Once I start eating, I want to keep going. You could try and see how it works out for you. When I run, it kills my appetite for a couple of hours so you might experience that also after lifting and then maybe you could have your shake a couple hours after lifting when you start getting really hungry to get you through to dinner. That probably wouldn't lead to continued eating which I would have a problem with if I had the shake early. If you don't want to change you lifting schedule, that is what I would probably do. If you can eat your shake right after and it doesn't turn on the appitite so you don't eat for the rest of the evening, then that would be very acceptable IMO. Do you have enough energy lifting at lunch doing OMAD? Good luck.

@blambo61 I agree with your logic. I usually workout during lunch and have my coconut oil coffee with 2 salt free crackers (30 calories) at 2pm and tried having my shake at 4pm but that left me bloated. When i skip the shake and have a medium size apple I can feel the burn till 8pm when I eat dinner. Those are the weeks I usually lost 2 pounds. I think I'll try to drink the shake with my dinner. Also yes I can lift heavy and run doing omad. I just take a pre-workout before that pumps me up.
  • rs2332
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    That drink sounds amazing! I also drink acv daily and love how it improves my digestion. I wonder if your salt cravings are related to electrolyte imbalance? Have you tried electrolyte water/replacements?

I don't run, but I do HIIT 3x a week and resistance training twice a week. I always have a protein bar or shake immediately after. @blambo61 can weigh in here as well, as he is an avid runner. It isn't technically 100% OMAD, but it never hurt my losses, and I think it is more harmful for recovery to not have them, especially when your next meal isn't for several hours. I will say that I only work out fasted and it looks like you sometimes eat during the day, so I don't know if that might affect it or not.

That's a good point. I haven't tried any electrolytes. Do you have any suggestions on what I can get off the shelf? Thanks!!
  • blambo61
    I need the pre-workout also after a 21-hr fast to workout which is when I workout. I use coconut oil and/or corn starch mixed with water. The coconut oil seems to be instant energy but doesn't last long. The starch is quick also but lasts longer. Corn starch is used to treat people with some types of glycogen storage disorder. Because it is a slow release carb, it allows them to sleep a long time without going hypoglycemic and dying. It also doesn't cause an insulin spike and a subsequent drop in blood sugar and hypoglycemia. There is also a modified corn starch that works even better supposedly (called glycosade or UCAN superstarch, the later can be bought in sporting good stores or on-line) that allows those types to sleep all through the night without having to eat. I've tried both and they work great. They feed the brain when the liver is out of glycogen (like after a long fast) and then the brain allows the body to work out and use the stored glycogen in the muscles to fuel the workout (glycogen in the muscles can't be shared with the brain). I can run hard for about 30-min without supplementation (450kcal effort) and then i will bonk but with eating about 150kcal or so of the starch (either kind), I can run hard for an hour (900kcal effort) after a 21-hr fast no problem! Neither the coconut oil or the starch upset my stomach even if taken as close as 15-minutes before a hard run and neither of them will cause me to get hungrier either! Regular cornstarch is much cheaper than the superstarch.
  • rs2332
    I need the pre-workout also after a 21-hr fast to workout which is when I workout. I use coconut oil and/or corn starch mixed with water. The coconut oil seems to be instant energy but doesn't last long. The starch is quick also but lasts longer. Corn starch is used to treat people with some types of glycogen storage disorder. Because it is a slow release carb, it allows them to sleep a long time without going hypoglycemic and dying. It also doesn't cause an insulin spike and a subsequent drop in blood sugar and hypoglycemia. There is also a modified corn starch that works even better supposedly (called glycosade or UCAN superstarch, the later can be bought in sporting good stores or on-line) that allows those types to sleep all through the night without having to eat. I've tried both and they work great. They feed the brain when the liver is out of glycogen (like after a long fast) and then the brain allows the body to work out and use the stored glycogen in the muscles to fuel the workout (glycogen in the muscles can't be shared with the brain). I can run hard for about 30-min without supplementation (450kcal effort) and then i will bonk but with eating about 150kcal or so of the starch (either kind), I can run hard for an hour (900kcal effort) after a 21-hr fast no problem! Neither the coconut oil or the starch upset my stomach even if taken as close as 15-minutes before a hard run and neither of them will cause me to get hungrier either! Regular cornstarch is much cheaper than the superstarch.

This is interesting. I will read into it more!

Today was good. I kept busy and had a good dinner and a protein bar an hour after and called it a day :)
  • brittdee88
    I drink the store brand electrolyte and alkaline water from Whole Foods! I am not sure of their availability elsewhere, but I have seen people use the Mio drops for electrolytes, and those are definitely widely available. I would think they would be in the same aisle with the drink mixes.
  • rs2332
    Weekly weight log
    Week ending 1/27 : 193lbs
    Week ending 2/3 : 191lbs

Planning to eat a chicken fajita for take away restaurant tonight during superbowl. Any suggestions on what I can tell the restaurant to remove from the ingredients?