Shiritaki "miracle", "smart" "konjac" noodles, who loves them?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »
    For those who find the texture odd, I just tried these: https://www.amazon.com/shirataki-gluten-noodles-spinach-200gX6packs/dp/B06Y5JDMYX

Much better al dente texture. Today I did dry fried noodles, then added pesto, tomatoes and spinach. YUM.

Ah... Amazon lists these as coming in a box of 6 (12 servings) for ... US$97.00. That's $8/serving! Did you find yours at a local grocery for a cheaper price?

I'm going to try your combo of noodles, pesto, & spinach as I have all of these items right now!! (maybe tomatoes... it's hard to find a decent (let alone good) tomato in Winter... best bet is cherry tomatoes...
    I found them at the asian market for $1.99USD.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    So I finally found and tasted this shirataki konjac noodle. The kind I found is Nasoya Pasta Zero. I've read so much about how bad shirataki noodles smell, I was shocked to cut open the bag to only a very, very faint odor. Nearly none really. I'm sitting at my desk with the empty, non rinsed bag and have taken a whiff a couple of times and...nothing.

They really have no taste. They are slightly chewy. I like them better than all of the bean noodles I have tried (adzuki, mung, etc). Calories, carbs, taste, texture are all superior. Thumbs up.

I rinsed them and did the "dry fry" thing but I'm not so sure it would have been necessary. a 2/3 cup serving (113 grams) has 15 calories, 4 carbs, 2 fiber. $2.49/bag. 2 servings per package. Found them in Publix in the chilled produce area. Packaging indicates these need refrigerated.

https://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/21197568/Zero-Shirataki-Spaghetti-Pasta.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiArOnUBRBJEiwAX0rG_XUTCjQzlCEpkzYbuydP6aWvA_GETwtDBf8TyZPtlB2Beblb_9y1WxoCc7wQAvD_BwE

This is my current favorite brand, followed by House brand. (House is our favorite tofu brand as well).
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm pretty impressed with Nasoya Pasta Zero and looking forward to trying them with my Alfredo or marinara. Yesterday I just made a quick curry to give them a try.

I won't say I yearn for any foods but aglio e olio has always been a favorite. I'll put on my walking shoes when it warms up and walk to the store to get another pack of Pasta Zero today. Win win. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I'm pretty impressed with Nasoya Pasta Zero and looking forward to trying them with my Alfredo or marinara. Yesterday I just made a quick curry to give them a try.

I won't say I yearn for any foods but aglio e olio has always been a favorite. I'll put on my walking shoes when it warms up and walk to the store to get another pack of Pasta Zero today. Win win. :)

I've been really enjoying them. We've had a lot of pho since I rediscovered them. And my pesto creation is a treat for lunch!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »
    For those who find the texture odd, I just tried these: https://www.amazon.com/shirataki-gluten-noodles-spinach-200gX6packs/dp/B06Y5JDMYX

Much better al dente texture. Today I did dry fried noodles, then added pesto, tomatoes and spinach. YUM.

Ah... Amazon lists these as coming in a box of 6 (12 servings) for ... US$97.00. That's $8/serving! Did you find yours at a local grocery for a cheaper price?

I'm going to try your combo of noodles, pesto, & spinach as I have all of these items right now!! (maybe tomatoes... it's hard to find a decent (let alone good) tomato in Winter... best bet is cherry tomatoes...

That price seems really high here are the ones I get. https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Noodle-Gluten-Shirataki-7-Ounce/dp/B00BP36RTY
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    This is my preference just because I think the rice version is easier - https://thrivemarket.com/p/miracle-noodle-shirataki-rice

Thrive Market has several options including their own brand now like - https://thrivemarket.com/p/thrive-market-wonder-noodles-angel-hair
    and
    https://thrivemarket.com/p/thrive-market-wonder-noodles-fettuccine
    and
    https://thrivemarket.com/p/thrive-market-wonder-noodles-spinach-fettuccine

I just ordered some of Thrive brand ones and should have them by this weekend. The other Thrive brand products I have used have been good, so expect these to be as well.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've had them. You really need to rinse the bejeebers out of them then dry fry them. I haven't tried them with pesto, but that sounds good.
  • rnjenny8599
    rnjenny8599 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    what about cold in a pasta salad? I am really jonesing for a pasta salad. I throw tons of veggies in pasta salad, and love to eat it in summer.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    what about cold in a pasta salad? I am really jonesing for a pasta salad. I throw tons of veggies in pasta salad, and love to eat it in summer.

I have used shirataki noodles with an Asian-style sesame or peanut sauce, plus some veggies (bean sprouts, cilantro, scallions). It was fantastic at room temperature.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm still impressed with Nasoya Pasta Zero brand. I grabbed a pack of the fettuccine the other day. I had made a parsley sauce that I didn't find favorable for the purpose intended so ended up turning it into pesto (adding parmesan, garlic, walnuts and more olive oil) and wanted to use it on Nasoya Pasta Zero. Anyway, I thought I might not care for the fettuccine style noodle because it was so wide but stirred into the pesto with fresh mushrooms, it was great!
  • TripleSnake
    TripleSnake Posts: 77 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    As I basically hate pasta (I did not have any pasta for 2+ years before keto, simply do not care about it), I bought Shirataki Rice. Have not tried cooking with them yet. Sorry if I missed, any recommendations for rice preparation? I usually added them either with meat and ketchup/tomato pasta; or to the chicken/bullion soup. Would that work now as well?

P.S. I am a bit picky eater and hate sweet/sour/very hot sauces with meat (so I had problems with lots of Chinese dishes), also never had tacos (and not plan to make them)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    As I basically hate pasta (I did not have any pasta for 2+ years before keto, simply do not care about it), I bought Shirataki Rice. Have not tried cooking with them yet. Sorry if I missed, any recommendations for rice preparation? I usually added them either with meat and ketchup/tomato pasta; or to the chicken/bullion soup. Would that work now as well?

P.S. I am a bit picky eater and hate sweet/sour/very hot sauces with meat (so I had problems with lots of Chinese dishes), also never had tacos (and not plan to make them)

I too prefer the rice version. It is just easier to eat. I use it making homemade soup (as I just did last night) as well as in crock pot creations just to add some bulk.

If you rinse and then dry fry them to remove the water, they are really good at just absorbing the flavor of whatever you put them in so for me, they are ideal in those two situations where I just need a little more volume of food.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I made konnyaku “rice” in my rice cooker—perfect! 1 cup konnyaku to 2 cups water, added salt.

h7zttpbb56n7.jpeg
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I usually make spaghetti or a stir fry using the Miracle Noodle brand. I'll have to try the konnyaku type:

dinner1.jpg
    vegan1.jpg
  • Jcc2018
    Jcc2018 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Where do you find these at in the grocery store?

Online Wal-Mart delivers a 6-pack to my doorstep for $11.88 day after tomorrow!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Jcc2018 wrote: »
    Where do you find these at in the grocery store?

Online Wal-Mart delivers a 6-pack to my doorstep for $11.88 day after tomorrow!
    That's a great price for six.
  • mprocyszyn
    mprocyszyn Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Good morning all.......I realize this is an old discussion but I've only been on MFP since Oct.2018 and have been low carb eating along with portion control and to date have lost 13 lbs. I'm so happy and I believe it's the logging of what I eat each day and learning tips from all of you. My daughter actually introduced me to Shirataki noodles so I researched them and I found them to be WONDERFUL. I really missed having noodles in my soups or a side dish besides a salad or vegetable. I found in my research that after the initial rinsing from the package, if you put them in a bowl of water with a little lemon juice in it and let it set for a bit (5 min) and then rinse and then dry pan fry...they are great. There is no smell to them and pan fry them just until a little dampness is left. I keep them in the frig and use them. I can't see boiling them...yuck. Here in my city in Canada I get a Fishwell Brand and yes they are kept in the cooler of the store. I am confused about the nutritional labelling I've read here though. The noodles are made from Konjac yam which apparently is fibre so my packaging states half cup serving (95gms) has 15 calories and 4 gms of carbohydrate, no protein, no fat. Yet I read here various amts of calories and carbs. I have also found them at our local Walmart store but found them packaged in a brownish liquid but after soaking them in the lemon juice water there was no smell or taste to them. I have had them in my soups, as a side dish mixed with veggies with tomato sauce and just plain with butter and Parm cheese.... the best part is they are very filling so you feel like you've had a large meal. We will be going to Myrtle Beach for the month of Feb.(we are snow birds) so I hope to find them there so I can stay on track with my eating. Thought I would add my two cents about the noodles. Mary from Canada
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @mprocyszyn I'm from BC and there are two different kinds of noodles that I see in local stores. One is the Glucomannan Konjac Yam noodles and they are 0/0/0 per serving - about 97% water and 3% glucomannan fiber.
    The other ones are tofu shirataki noodles - very similar to traditional shirataki noodles, but with added tofu that provides a few additional calories and a small number of digestible carbs.
    I've NEVER seen any in brown liquid - sounds like Walmart was just trying to get rid of old stock, :s .
    Mine have never needed lemon juice, just a long running hot water rinse thru a sieve - most of the time I don't even bother with a dry fry, just dump them in the soup, or sauce, or stirfry after everything else is cooked.

Here's a good info site on them https://healthline.com/nutrition/shirataki-noodles-101#viscous-fiber
  • mprocyszyn
    mprocyszyn Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info...good to know our packaging is correct in hardly any calories etc. Will try not dry frying...didn't see the need for that anyways...your just making them wet again to whatever your adding them to. Will look into the site you provided. Mary