LCHF / Keto & Mental Health?

Options
Violet_Flux
Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
I can vaguely remember some topics or threads that suggested this way of eating is or can be beneficial for folks dealing with problems such as depression, etc.

I'm wondering if there's any other mental health overlap with low carb or keto diets, pro or con?

Asking because I had a previously undiagnosed problem blow up late last year, and we're still sort of picking up the pieces from that. (It's why I've been mostly absent from the group for a few months.)

Anyways this all happened after a long time (over a year?) of eating this way, and one friend keeps suggesting that the psych problem is because of this diet.

I know for a fact low carb can't have caused the problem, this condition can only develop in early childhood. But I don't know if LCHF / Keto can exacerbate things.

I'm sure I've read that ketones interact with the brain... I don't know if I'm in ketosis and I don't remember if I have been in the past. (I found ketostix in the bathroom so I assume we tested at one point.) I mostly try and keep carbs below 30g / day so maybe?

Personally, I think this WOE is beneficial for all aspects of health, including mental. I think it's probably helping, if anything. But I don't have any basis for that, just my own opinion.

Hoping someone can point to an article or discussion about LCHF & mental health that I can use to shut this friend up.

Thanks!

Replies

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this.

I do recall threads being posted a while ago that discussed mental health impacts of this way of eating. I believe mostly, the topics were people sharing their persona experiences. Anecdotal experiences about better clarity, feeling more calm, reduced anxiousness and better managed depression.

A quick search of this group netted me nothing, but that's not new. The search function and I are not friendly. :D
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Check out Tuit Nutrition she has a lot of stuff on how it helps things like dementia and alzheimers. I know it's different but it is all to do with the brain and how it works. She's even written a book which I've actually ordered. Good luck and ignore your friend!
  • Violet_Flux
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses! Yeah the search function here has been hit-or-miss for us lol. We'll look into the tuit nutrition stuff, but mostly just try and remember to tell our friend thanks for the concern but it's not a problem. Cheers!
  • Violet_Flux
    Options
    Thanks a lot for that @canadjineh I really appreciate it!

They don't specifically mention my problem, but they cover a lot of the comorbidities. I think it makes a good argument that a keto diet is probably good for the brain, and at the very least, it can't hurt!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Steph_Maks wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for that @canadjineh I really appreciate it!

They don't specifically mention my problem, but they cover a lot of the comorbidities. I think it makes a good argument that a keto diet is probably good for the brain, and at the very least, it can't hurt!

That sounds about right. Who knows, it could have helped minimized your issues somewhat.

There are a small but vocal number of people on the main forums who have said that low carb had a negative effect on their health issues, a few of which were mood related. It is possible that it affected you negatively, but I think it would have been obvious around when you started lchf and not a year later.

I hope things are getting better for you. (Hugs)
  • 357girl
    357girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but Dr. Perlmutter, author of Grain Brain, might have information on his website.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Steph_Maks, I wanted to let you know here that you have been a great inspiration to many with all your progress reports. You have been amazing in your progress. More web hugs sent your way.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    So true. (Hug)
  • Violet_Flux
    edited March 2018
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    if the weight gain you previously accomplished helped protect you from whatever trauma caused the DID in the first place, it is very obvious to me why that trauma and DID would resurface as you heal your body and lose that protective layer of self.

@KnitOrMiss we've been going over this back and forth a bit. We think there's a sort of chicken-and-egg conundrum, of trying to separate cause and effect. Did our DID symptoms grow worse beause of the weight loss, or was the weight loss itself a byproduct of worsening DID symptoms.

Basically, Stephanie was so divorced from her body and had so little regard for it, she had no interest or ability towards healing it. That was my job and I started working on it from 'behind the scenes', pushing / influencing her, or just doing it for her. (Convenient for her actually - if you don't wanna workout, someone else will do it for you lol!) Unfortunately that probably played a part in her breakdown - she was constantly questioning herself, unable to understand why she was suddenly so focused on health & fitness, why she'd be excercising every day despite usually hating it.

We actually have a pretty good idea what actually triggered me to become active in 2015, as opposed to say a decade ago or whenever. Now that I think it through I actually do think the weight loss has been a side-effect of the DID rather than the other way around. Huh.
    baconslave wrote: »
    Don't be embarrassed too much. We are here to support you. Enormous web hugs to you. hugs_2011.gif
    Steph_Maks, I wanted to let you know here that you have been a great inspiration to many with all your progress reports. You have been amazing in your progress. More web hugs sent your way.
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    So true. (Hug)

Thank you @baconslave and @retirehappy and @nvmomketo, we really appreciate that.

Once we get ourselves back on track and there's progress again, I will try and keep up with reports like Stephanie used to. Which brings up one other awkward aspect to this... I refer to Stephanie in 3rd person and past tense. It's because she's been gone since her breakdown in November. Dormant somewhere deep inside. At this point it's unlikely she'll ever return.

We've had to take over her life completely, and that's been really difficult for everyone involved. (I'm aware how crazy that sounds lol.) There's two of us who are here most of the time, and we both hate pretending to be Stephanie. We're planning to change the legal name so we don't have to pretend to be her any more. At some point we'll probably change the username on here too.

Thanks again for all the support & understanding.
  • Violet_Flux
    Options
    Just a little follow-up to this...

Still having trouble really getting 100% back into the diet / WOE like we should. Going to make another push to try and get over the self-sabotage etc. Excercise has been ok though, as in we still do it every day, still hitting our daily activity goals.

The good news is, finally got the name change stuff out of the way. Both here on MFP with a new username, but the big thing is we did a legal name change so we're moving forward as the new (and hopefully improved) version of ourself.

Thanks again to everyone for being so supportive here!

-Violet