LCHF / Keto & Mental Health?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Welcome back, WTG, Violet! Regular exercise is definitely helpful and you'll get back to your diet, one step at a time! Hugs!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    Just a little follow-up to this...

Still having trouble really getting 100% back into the diet / WOE like we should. Going to make another push to try and get over the self-sabotage etc. Excercise has been ok though, as in we still do it every day, still hitting our daily activity goals.

The good news is, finally got the name change stuff out of the way. Both here on MFP with a new username, but the big thing is we did a legal name change so we're moving forward as the new (and hopefully improved) version of ourself.

Thanks again to everyone for being so supportive here!

-Violet

hugs_2011.gif
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Nice to see you stopping by. Come hang out!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    @Violet_Flux welcome! Nice to see you back and moving forward with life, the diet stuff will come when you are ready and the important stuff is what you have achieved recently <3
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    @voilet_flux This is a really good thread about need for a diet break. Most of the really great links are in the beginning of the 200 some pages.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks#latest

If you've not looked into leptin and ghrelin, the hunger hormones, you might want to search that info about how the loss of fat has an affect on the hormones and what can be done about it

Good to see you posting and hope your new therapist is of benefit to y'all.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Thankyou @kpk54! We read the first few pages and several of the links in there. That was interesting stuff about the hormones. I am sure we read some of that stuff before, Steph read several books about lowcarb and fasting and that hormone stuff was familiar.

We'll try and keep in mind about taking breaks now and then, but I think we've just finished like a 52 week break lol and need to get back into the lowcarb zone haha. :smiley:
  • canadjineh
    Hi @Violet_Flux! Nice to see an update, wondered how things were going. Hopefully your new therapist can be even more helpful for all of you. Out of curiosity, do you fill in your therapist on your eating plan, and are there some suggestions they have to help with LC compliance from all your identities? Admittedly, I don't know much about DID, but is there a way to come to a consensus with all your identities without one in particular 'taking charge?' Or is that way of dealing with things unhelpful? I understand if you choose to limit what you share here. (((hugs)))
  • Violet_Flux
    Hiya @canadjineh! :smiley: They only just met the new T and just started yesterday so they havent really talked so much yet. SMaybe soon they will get to talk about eating. Violet is the one who is around most soshe sorta acts like the boss lol. We dont hafta do what she says but too much fighting makes us all tired. Its sad not getting to ahve icecream and candy :frowning: but its no fun being sick so we'll try to be good. :smiley: Violet says we gotta learn other ways to have treats instead of food. Do stuff thats fun instead of eating snacks.
  • francesca_grey
    francesca_grey Posts: 96 Member
    I had a therapist ask me to write a “parts play” once. I rolled my eyes about this exercise but looking back it helped me to discover all of the different personalities that resided in my brain and how each one of them took over to solve different kinds of problems. They were all different names and ages too. Although I had never thought about it before, I inherently knew who they all were, their backstories, how they got along with each other. I don’t have DID or any mental disorders, but I do think we are all on a spectrum and use coping skills to varying degrees. I legally changed my name too.

After years of inner work I’d say all of my parts are well integrated, but She-Ra is the main character in my play now. She is my favorite because she is so calm and has her *kitten* together, I feel very safe when she is on stage. Cats are pretty calm too, but playful. There’s a great documentary called Kedi about the cats that roam around Istanbul. The female cats in that movie were very clever and fun to watch.

Hopefully older Violet can agree to do some meal prep for you every week, there’s a great subreddit for this!
  • Violet_Flux
    Thanks @chickencereal! :smiley:

We appreciate reading about your own experiences, it helps us feel less wierd & stuff. :) That's really cool about She-Ra! And the whole parts-play thing, we haven't heard of that before but it sounds really neat!

Our T says that too about everyone being on a kinda spectrum and stuff. Like everyone has sorta 'parts' and stuff, what makes folks with DID different is just our parts are more separate and stuff - like memories and stuff, taking over the body & doing stuff and nobody else knows, & the amnesia & stuff like that.

I heard of that movie about the cats in Istanbul but haven't seen it. We have 4 cats here so we get lots of exposure watching them & all! :lol: They are all crazy little characters! :lol:

I'm sure older Violet will keep helping & stuff. (We also call her V1.... and there's a V2, who's teen Violet lol.) We do have some like, emergency frozen food, like chicken wings & stuff, but its not satisfying anymore - like real homemade is so much more yummy. :)

And I still wanna learn to cook better & stuff too - I made steak again tonight & managed to not burn myself this time lol! :lol: Still kinda overcooked it tho. :confused:

V1 should be back tomorrow tho cos its time to buy groceries & do up another roast & stuff. :)
  • francesca_grey
    I’ve never had amnesia but there are definitely some very specific characters that come out suddenly in response to different stressors, moreso than the average population. I know it’s not the same but I can relate on some level. Your therapist sounds like a good one. I had one for years and now I’m doing fine on my own. Being fully accepted by a responsible adult was a new experience for me and helped me learn how to re-parent myself.

Back to the topic of the thread, I’ve had some not so great experiences (to put it *very* lightly) and all the other stuff that goes along with that plus some medical issues and I can say that over the long-term, keto/LC is one of my best tools for stabilizing my mental and physical health and keeping my weight/binging in check (which stabilizes my moods too). I’ve done a lot of research on this. There are times when I need the serotonin boost from carbs but as long as I keep returning to this state periodically it levels me out somehow. I hope it works for you in the same way.
  • Violet_Flux
    Thanks @chickencereal,

Unfortunately we also have experience with the not-so-great aspects of all of this... DID is a traumagenic disorder, and many (most) people with DID also have PTSD. That's where most of our problems lie - not with being multiple, but with the flashbacks, trauma responses, etc associated with PTSD.

Lately we're experiencing the 'vivid dreams' that sometimes come with keto/low carb, which is unpleasant as we generally don't experience 'good' dreams... but we're working through it.

Its 2 weeks now since the 'big change' we mentioned a couple posts ago, and that's still working out, better than I expected. We know from experience that this WOE works best for our body, its the only thing we've found that feels good & healthy & also provides managable weight loss, so I'm very happy we're back at it again finally.

Yesterday we made up another big roast so there's leftovers to last at least till Wednesday, maybe Thursday. And this morning after our workout, we're going to try making something other than bacon & eggs for breakfast. :)
  • Violet_Flux
    Lol so V1 tried to get me to make a stirfry for breakfast this morning. Like, that used to be a daily thing for us in the past, spicey pork stirfry for breakfast almost every day. I made it but... blah. :tongue:

It wasn't yucky, but there's like way too much not-meat & like, I don't really wanna eat that stuff lol. I dont even know if its all safe to eat? I just picked out the pork and tried abit of the other stuff, but mostly i just got rid of the rest. :tongue:

Theres one more porkchop, maybe i can do that with some eggs tomorrow. :smiley:
  • francesca_grey
    I understand, I experienced persistent capital T trauma too (I’ll just leave it at that), I don’t mean to minimize your experience by comparing it to mine. I’m sorry about the dreams. They come up so unexpectedly and knock my entire day out of alignment. It gets worse and it gets better but it does get better. I’ll put that subject to rest because boundaries and the internet, heh. *hugs* regardless.

Spicy pork stir fry sounds so good right now, thanks for the idea.
  • canadjineh
    Nice to see your 'kitty-plan' is working.... keep it up <3
  • Violet_Flux
    Thanks @canadjineh. :)

Our resident 'cat' isn't around today... :blush: but I'm happy to say her plan has been working perfectly. She's been eating keto for almost 4 weeks without any temptation or cheats.

Today we're going to have a planned cheat day & she made sure she wouldn't be around for it. I'm kind of embarassed about the whole 'feline' thing, :blush: but very impressed by how effective it's been.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    Thanks @canadjineh. :)

Our resident 'cat' isn't around today... :blush: but I'm happy to say her plan has been working perfectly. She's been eating keto for almost 4 weeks without any temptation or cheats.

Today we're going to have a planned cheat day & she made sure she wouldn't be around for it. I'm kind of embarassed about the whole 'feline' thing, :blush: but very impressed by how effective it's been.

Whatever works.
    So glad you are all doing so well!JuaMZZIDsaxnwXHfAIDC.gif
    Not sure why that hug won't line up properly. But it's cute so I had to use it.
    Have a great day!
  • Violet_Flux
    Thanks for the hug @baconslave! 😸

Their 'cheat day' yesterday went ok - lotsa carby food & snacks & stuff, but they didn't eat all the stuff they wanted. I dunno if our stomach got smaller or our body got like allergic to carbs or something after 4 weeks of keto? Whichever, there were tummy aches yesterday so about half the stuff they wanted to eat got ignored.

Still feeling kinda yucky this morning, but looking forward to being back on track again now! 😺