April 9 Weekly Challenge: Spring Declutterfest!

Options
124»

Replies

• bcTRAI
    bcTRAI Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Oh, thanks all! My big ol plan is to get rid of at least 1 thing per day. That means on my super busy days it will be one thing and on less busy days I can do more. I think it came from the tiny habits course. I figured if I got in the habit it wouldn't be so hard to get rid of things and it seems to have worked so far. Starting on those boxes was not a giant leap from 1 thing as from sitting on the couch doing 0 things.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @bcTRAI, Your room that you were working on looks very nice!

@MadisonMolly2017, I use Marie K's methods but never got a list that long all at once :laugh:... Excellent decluttering and tidying!! You are rocking it!

@themedalist, My personal best take away from the Marie Kondo books is the decluttering by category. I do not do a category that encompasses the whole house as such. For instance, books. I did the kid books as a category when decluttering the kid's play room, and while decluttering my closet and some of my bedroom it is only my books that I am going through as a category. I used (and still use a lot of) FlyLady methods for years, as well as my own version of things I've discovered along the way, but Marie Kondo's method of categories has helped me the most since both reading and listening to her books recently. I do not put my clothes away like she does, but I think it is too cute!
    I'm awaiting what you think about her methods. She does have an interesting back story. It is also fun to watch her on YouTube :) I've just started actually test driving her methods when I did the kids room. My closet is my second try at it. But that is going very slowly last week.

Over the weekend I took a big box to Goodwill, as well as three bags of books to donate. Historically, books are always the hardest to sort through, for me. But when I saw all the books in one area, in one spot on the kid's floor, it was easier to see it as a whole, and not each book by itself, as if that was my only book, in a way. And it was easier to recognize what are my keepers at this time, and which ones I could bless others with on this go-around. I will do one more quick look though when I put them on the bookshelf. I did that with the kid's books, and I was able to add more to the donation box. Seeing them on the shelf is like looking at them from a different angle.

For myself I've been thinking about the DeclutterFest. Once a quarter was my vote on an earlier post. But I am going to continue to keep decluttering slowly. And maybe post occasionally when I accomplish something, on the current DeclutterFest thread till the next one??? As encouragement to myself and maybe others who might read??? Just tossing out things I've been pondering. Sometimes decluttering for me goes slowly with other things going on. But steady eventually finishes the race ;) lol.

Along this same line of thinking, I really liked the new upcoming BootCamp video!!! While watching it I also wondered if we might have a few mini re-boots of BootCamp along the way until the next Semi-Annual BootCamp. Or some way to keep connected like Move it Mondays have been. To me it seems so long in between camps. I get so excited when I realize that BootCamp is coming up again! I know it sounds weird probably, but it is true :laughing: . I begin to slip at times into the chair in between camps.

For me, personally, Decluttering, Move it Monday, and Sit Less have made the most impact in my life. But I am in need of a bit more encouragement and sharing to help solidify these habits. Don't know about anyone else. I try all the ways I can think of to encourage myself, but sometimes I just get {?} ... I do not know what word would explain it. If that makes sense.

@themedalist, The bed looks so nice and tidy! Very nicely done!!

@OConnell5483, The laptop/ computer cleanup is an awesome thought. Oh, my! It doesn't take up much visible real estate kind of space, but it sure does take up space in our heads, and affects productivity as if it was as big as an actual room! Great idea!

@nebslp, I hope that you find your lost items.

Well this sure turned into a long rambly post :noway: :laugh:.

:flowerforyou:
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    @bcTRAI, Your room that you were working on looks very nice!

@MadisonMolly2017, I use Marie K's methods but never got a list that long all at once :laugh:... Excellent decluttering and tidying!! You are rocking it!

@themedalist, My personal best take away from the Marie Kondo books is the decluttering by category. I do not do a category that encompasses the whole house as such. For instance, books. I did the kid books as a category when decluttering the kid's play room, and while decluttering my closet and some of my bedroom it is only my books that I am going through as a category. I used (and still use a lot of) FlyLady methods for years, as well as my own version of things I've discovered along the way, but Marie Kondo's method of categories has helped me the most since both reading and listening to her books recently. I do not put my clothes away like she does, but I think it is too cute!
    I'm awaiting what you think about her methods. She does have an interesting back story. It is also fun to watch her on YouTube :) I've just started actually test driving her methods when I did the kids room. My closet is my second try at it. But that is going very slowly last week.

Over the weekend I took a big box to Goodwill, as well as three bags of books to donate. Historically, books are always the hardest to sort through, for me. But when I saw all the books in one area, in one spot on the kid's floor, it was easier to see it as a whole, and not each book by itself, as if that was my only book, in a way. And it was easier to recognize what are my keepers at this time, and which ones I could bless others with on this go-around. I will do one more quick look though when I put them on the bookshelf. I did that with the kid's books, and I was able to add more to the donation box. Seeing them on the shelf is like looking at them from a different angle.

For myself I've been thinking about the DeclutterFest. Once a quarter was my vote on an earlier post. But I am going to continue to keep decluttering slowly. And maybe post occasionally when I accomplish something, on the current DeclutterFest thread till the next one??? As encouragement to myself and maybe others who might read??? Just tossing out things I've been pondering. Sometimes decluttering for me goes slowly with other things going on. But steady eventually finishes the race ;) lol.

Along this same line of thinking, I really liked the new upcoming BootCamp video!!! While watching it I also wondered if we might have a few mini re-boots of BootCamp along the way until the next Semi-Annual BootCamp. Or some way to keep connected like Move it Mondays have been. To me it seems so long in between camps. I get so excited when I realize that BootCamp is coming up again! I know it sounds weird probably, but it is true :laughing: . I begin to slip at times into the chair in between camps.

For me, personally, Decluttering, Move it Monday, and Sit Less have made the most impact in my life. But I am in need of a bit more encouragement and sharing to help solidify these habits. Don't know about anyone else. I try all the ways I can think of to encourage myself, but sometimes I just get {?} ... I do not know what word would explain it. If that makes sense.

@themedalist, The bed looks so nice and tidy! Very nicely done!!

@OConnell5483, The laptop/ computer cleanup is an awesome thought. Oh, my! It doesn't take up much visible real estate kind of space, but it sure does take up space in our heads, and affects productivity as if it was as big as an actual room! Great idea!

@nebslp, I hope that you find your lost items.

Well this sure turned into a long rambly post :noway: :laugh:.

Not a rambly post at all! I appreciate the time you took to write, and your thoughtful reaching out to so many of us, @texasgardnr! And I’m thrilled that Declutterfest, Move it Monday, and Sit less Boot Camp have positively impacted your life. Our weekly challenge next work week is a good warm up to Boot Camp: a week of focused moving more. And because of my surgery last November, there was no Boot Camp last October. So it has been a full year. I’ve made a lot of changes to the program...new challenges... and strengthening the links to making sitting less a habit change. I can’t wait to get started!

May is a crazy month for me with Boot Camp, but I plan on diving into Marie Kondo’s book and approach in June. And yes, you and everyone else should feel free to post on this Declutterfest thread with your updates until our next decluttering challenge this summer!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Guess what? Guess what? My daughter is here for two weeks before she starts her new job in Maine. I mentioned to her how much I loved our decluttering week last week and she asked if I would like her to continue what I started, that she could use a little extra money money right now. WIN WIN! So when I arrived home after work today, the upstairs bedroom was even tidier and I didn’t do a thing.

I seriously don’t think my life could get any better right now. <3<3

This makes me feel so happy for you! Big smile on my face! :heart:
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Guess what? Guess what? My daughter is here for two weeks before she starts her new job in Maine. I mentioned to her how much I loved our decluttering week last week and she asked if I would like her to continue what I started, that she could use a little extra money money right now. WIN WIN! So when I arrived home after work today, the upstairs bedroom was even tidier and I didn’t do a thing.

Awesome!! SO happy for you!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

What a lovely post! Joining in by being very Happy for you also! <3