MAJOR UGH

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,621 Member
    Localized and feeling good is a plus. Boo on the pancreatitis though...
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    UPDATE: I wasn’t able to get into the clinical trial after all (I was out of the diagnosis window, had to be within 6 weeks). Started gemzar/abraxine today. 3wk on 1 wk off. Once a week. Let’s get this.
  • 2t9nty
    You have this. We will be thinking about you and looking for updates.
  • ConleighS
    So one downside I found. Apparently the steroid has a bad effect on bs. I jumped to 238 after treatment and 303 before dinner. Bedtime reading is 300. Hoping things go back to normal in a day or so. But something to look for on future treatment days
  • 2t9nty
    I have heard that steroids do that but have no experience. It would be interesting to know how long it takes to get back to normal.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    My experience with steroid shots for my knee was that it was very elevated for about two days, and slightly elevated for a month. Since the cause is that it prevents insulin from working as well, it unfortunately doesn't work well to take more meds - nothing much to do but ride it out.
  • ConleighS
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I have heard that steroids do that but have no experience. It would be interesting to know how long it takes to get back to normal.

I think a few days at least. Yesterday I was 169 waking then dropped to 125 then I ended day st 191, this morning my awaking is 131.

• ConleighS
    My experience with steroid shots for my knee was that it was very elevated for about two days, and slightly elevated for a month. Since the cause is that it prevents insulin from working as well, it unfortunately doesn't work well to take more meds - nothing much to do but ride it out.

Pretty much what I’ve been told by various people as well Rhedd.
  • ConleighS
    Got blood test results. A1C went up from 6.4 to 6.9. My TSH is high at 5.86, T-4 is 1.3. All other levels are in normal range
  • ConleighS
    Back from vacation. Hair started falling out on day 2 of cruise. Still have it just getting very thin. Started course 2 of chemo today so I know my bs will be very high for the next few days. Woke up from nap and already at 280 at 6pm. I downed 2 glasses of water and did 10 min on bike and too 3 units of fast acting insulin. Any other suggestions on what to do to lower bs? Dr wants me to increase my levemir to 15-18 before bed.
  • 2t9nty
    ConleighS wrote: »
    Back from vacation. Hair started falling out on day 2 of cruise. Still have it just getting very thin. Started course 2 of chemo today so I know my bs will be very high for the next few days. Woke up from nap and already at 280 at 6pm. I downed 2 glasses of water and did 10 min on bike and too 3 units of fast acting insulin. Any other suggestions on what to do to lower bs? Dr wants me to increase my levemir to 15-18 before bed.

I have no clue on this. I know the chemo is supposed to really mess with the glucose numbers though.
  • ConleighS
    Update:
    Why am I so hot. Not feeling right. Oh that’s right I had steroids and chemo today so my blood sugar is up to 340!!! Took meds and will drink lots of water and ride my bike in a while. Ugh!

Last round of 3rd course next week then retake ct scan on the 22nd. I’ll keep ya’ll posted. Thanks.
  • 2t9nty
    ConleighS wrote: »
    Update:
    Why am I so hot. Not feeling right. Oh that’s right I had steroids and chemo today so my blood sugar is up to 340!!! Took meds and will drink lots of water and ride my bike in a while. Ugh!

Last round of 3rd course next week then retake ct scan on the 22nd. I’ll keep ya’ll posted. Thanks.

Yikes! Keep us posted.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    ((HUGS)) and best wishes.
  • ConleighS
    Thanks all. Doing ok. Had last treatment of 3rd course today so yeah my night time number is 330, so I took 18 units of levemir. Next step is new CT Scan in Saturday to check on status.
  • ScrapStitching
    ScrapStitching Posts: 51 Member
    I've been reading your story, ConleighS, and am hoping you're doing okay still. I had steroid shots in my hands and my BS went way up for a few days. Best wishes to you.
  • nvmomketo
    Hope it went well. :)
  • ConleighS
    Going in today for test results. Will keep you posted.
  • ConleighS
    OK. CT Results: not all what we wanted to hear. Tumor has grown from 6.4 to 7.3cm. It's About 3". Some thickening in the bowel area which may just be reactionary. Chest is ok, going to watch liver lesion which has no change.
    New Plan: new chemo cocktail of 4 drugs, every 2 weeks starting 10/2. Takes most of day for 3 infusions then hooked up to another for 48hours. Will do 5to 10 treatments then rescan.
  • nvmomketo
    ((HUGS)) I hope you don't react too badly to that mix. I'm sending best wishes your way.