Why isn’t the scale moving? Anyone care to take a look at my diary and give me pointers ??

Options
2»

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    FANCY1977 wrote: »
    kirkor wrote: »
    What is your weekly caloric deficit?

hum. good question. Where do I find this? I have a hard time deturmining how many calories I should be staying Under. To me they do count when trying to lose weight. I try to stay Under 1200. I did recently bump that up to 1500 but just to adjust my other macros mainly fat.....

Try this site to get an idea of what you are burning. It will suggest some macros, and you can adjust from there.

https://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

hum. good question. Where do I find this? I have a hard time deturmining how many calories I should be staying Under. To me they do count when trying to lose weight. I try to stay Under 1200. I did recently bump that up to 1500 but just to adjust my other macros mainly fat.....

Addressing the bolded part: have you not been to the goal section in MFP? The calories it set for me for both loss and maintenance were on target. I adjusted the macros to equate to the number of grams of carbs I wanted to be eating but that doesn't alter the calories. One sets the grams/macro based on calories if interested in managing weight. Calories derived from MFP goal setting feature is a great place to start since you're here anyway. And at least for me, they are appropriate. Calories that is. Macros, I choose other than their default..via goals/edit.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I think I posted this before, but here is a chart of my first year of weight loss with keto (and eventually the start of carnivore). This is exactly one year's worth of data.

gb3543nzxajb.png

During that time I went from 92.5 kg to 70.4 kg. That's a loss of 48.7 pounds in a year! Almost a pound a week. And, looking at most of that graph, it seems pretty consistent. Except for June, but June was a special case. It was a self-experiment with artificial sweeteners and ad libitum eating. Clearly, they mess with my ability to "just eat as much as I want" and lose/maintain weight.

But, as smooth and awesome as that graph is, look closely at the blue line. Those are my actual scale weights. Try to imagine zooming in on those and looking at them in chunks of 7-10 days. For example, March 8th I weighed 77.7 kg and March 26th I weighed 77.8 kg. But, looking at March from a distance, does it seem like I was stalled that month? Nope, I was going down the whole time.

The red and yellow lines (trend line and rolling average) were there for my sanity. They helped me focus on the direction of change, long term, and not the short term variations. The scale will do a lot of crazy things. It's even worse for women, and you can see how it jumped all over the place for me. Just relax, and focus on the long term view.
  • FANCY1977
    FANCY1977 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are trying to lose weight, what's the point of eating more fat? Fat you consume will be used as energy before fat on your body is used for energy.

I noticed your protein is pretty low, you might want to invest those extra 300 calories into protein rather than fat.

Isn't the fat part the whole point of keto? I am confused!
  • FANCY1977
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Addressing the bolded part: have you not been to the goal section in MFP? The calories it set for me for both loss and maintenance were on target. I adjusted the macros to equate to the number of grams of carbs I wanted to be eating but that doesn't alter the calories. One sets the grams/macro based on calories if interested in managing weight. Calories derived from MFP goal setting feature is a great place to start since you're here anyway. And at least for me, they are appropriate. Calories that is. Macros, I choose other than their default..via goals/edit.

Yes I have, but always adjusted the macros by adjusting the calories....I will try it again. Thanks.
  • FANCY1977
    Options
    ok just altered my macros...in mfp:
    calories 1200
    carbs 30g
    fat 87g
    protien 75g.

comments?
  • cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Fancy, I think the BIG focus on fat is primarily in the beginning of adaptation, to help with satiety and tell your body, "hey, look, we're running on fat now".

When you are feeling good and keto-adapted with no problem, you will get the glucose you need from the carbs you are eating and from protein, if needed. If you have excess body fat to burn off, ideally your body will switch over to using THAT fat for energy a lot of the time.

I don't think anyone here is saying "go low-fat" but rather ... that if your main focus is on eating a lot of fat each day, your body may not be tapping into your stores quite as much as you want it to.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    calories 1200
    carbs 30g
    fat 87g
    protien 75g.

comments?

If it is a calorie deficit and it provides you with satiety, health and helps you achieve your fitness goals. It's fine. Try it out and see. Your body will use up it's excess adipose via the deficit. Good luck.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    calories 1200
    carbs 30g
    fat 87g
    protien 75g.

comments?

If it is a calorie deficit and it provides you with satiety, health and helps you achieve your fitness goals. It's fine. Try it out and see. Your body will use up it's excess adipose via the deficit. Good luck.

+1
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    calories 1200
    carbs 30g
    fat 87g
    protien 75g.

comments?

Why 1200? Are you really in the {very limited} range of people who need to be eating that little? Also, protein should be higher, for at least the first month, until you are sure you have adapted. You want to do everything possible to preserve muscle mass.

You haven't posted any biographical information (age, weight, height, activity level, estimated body fat levels, etc.) that would help anyone give you specific help. It's hard to comment on your macros without knowing more about you. Usually when someone picks 1200 calories, it's because they pick the most aggressive options that MFP offers and they don't account for activity levels. That's usually not the best setup, even for people following CICO for weight loss, but it's almost certainly not the best setup for low-carb.

Here we focused on long-term success and health. That requires a little more detail and some acceptance that fast isn't always best.