Light headed, mid day crashes and vertigo on week three

Options
DarthWaderMT
DarthWaderMT Posts: 231 Member
I am on week three, and starting last week I started having vertigo, it is worst when I get up in the morning. Has anyone encountered this? also I crash every afternoon, and feel like taking a nap. I am following quite strictly, watching to stay under 20 total carbs a day. I am not convinced the diet is causing this, it could be coincidence. I was having the crashes before , and have had vertigo before too. I am going to stick with the 6 weeks and see if it gets better

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    ...or, you could try increasing to 50 carbs, and you should still be in ketosis, but not as steep which may help alleviate the symptoms...

Also, make sure you are getting plenty of salt.
  • DarthWaderMT
    Options
    ...or, you could try increasing to 50 carbs, and you should still be in ketosis, but not as steep which may help alleviate the symptoms...

Also, make sure you are getting plenty of salt.

Thanks! I am planning on doing what I am doing for the rest of the 6 weeks, and If I am still havinging this issues, I might try adding more carbs and seeing if that helps. Though i am pretty convinced carbs are not a essential nutrient. I am adding sea salt to my water and plenty on my food, yummmm

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If I don't have at least one or two cups of Bouillion per day...I get vertigo also, and lethargic, headaches, etc. The vertigo feels really creepy...I also take potassium and magnesium supplements and a multi vitamin every day. Since doing these things I've had no further issues in that area.
    Have you read about keto and electrolytes?? It has been very important to my success and feeling good doing keto. There might be more info on electrolytes on this site; or, definitely Google it, I'm sure it will come up.

• gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Electrolytes for sure!!! Make sure you're tracking those
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Just adding some to water and food isn’t enough.
    You need 5000-7000mg a day. Every day.
    You’re no doubt low in sodium.
    Increasing carbs will also help fix it because insulin will increase and that helps to retain sodium but you’ll still need some supplementation at just low carb.
  • DarthWaderMT
    Options
    thanks for the replies. how could I still be low on sodium, I am eating salty meats, lots of salt and potassium chloride. how much salt more do i need? I am already waking up with dry mouth in the morning, and thirsty all day ugh.
  • DarthWaderMT
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    If I don't have at least one or two cups of Bouillion per day...I get vertigo also, and lethargic, headaches, etc. The vertigo feels really creepy...I also take potassium and magnesium supplements and a multi vitamin every day. Since doing these things I've had no further issues in that area.
    Have you read about keto and electrolytes?? It has been very important to my success and feeling good doing keto. There might be more info on electrolytes on this site; or, definitely Google it, I'm sure it will come up.

thanks! yeah i have been reading. how much salt is in bouillon? why is that better than just salty water?
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    btw, we are adding pink/himalayian salt!

„normal“ salt aka NaCl will not work for you and might have that effect you suffering
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies. how could I still be low on sodium, I am eating salty meats, lots of salt and potassium chloride. how much salt more do i need? I am already waking up with dry mouth in the morning, and thirsty all day ugh.

If you are thirsty all day along with all your other symptoms do you need to be checked out at the doctor's? Just a thought.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not essential, but it takes time for your body to grow sufficient mitochondria for ketone metabolism - sometimes as long as 6 months.
  • DarthWaderMT
    Options
    btw, we are adding pink/himalayian salt!

„normal“ salt aka NaCl will not work for you and might have that effect you suffering

Thanks. i'll try the pink stuff. I found some keto sites recommending a half teaspoon in a large glass of water.
  • DarthWaderMT
    Options

If you are thirsty all day along with all your other symptoms do you need to be checked out at the doctor's? Just a thought.

well, that is the conventional "wisdom" but where will that lead? diagnosing a bunch of medical issues, making me go back to carbs, being put on all kinds of meds, etc... It may be too late for me, but i am not ready to quit yet and put my body in the hands of the medical machine. There are risks either way.
  • DarthWaderMT
    Options
    Carbs are not essential, but it takes time for your body to grow sufficient mitochondria for ketone metabolism - sometimes as long as 6 months.

Ughhh 6 months? why is everyone saying one to two weeks then? maybe I will try adding more vegetables. I do enjoy them, now that I can have them with lots of butter.
  • DarthWaderMT
    Options
    ok, maybe I wasn't using enough salt. I just tried the half teaspoon recommendation, and yuck, the water was way saltier! Ill give this a try and hope it does not kill me...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    If you track your sodium you'll know for sure.
    I track mine.

On the half teaspoon biz: I wouldn't do that all at once. Do it in 1/4 teaspoon increments throughout the day. You can use zero cal/carb water flavorings like Mio to help with the salty taste.
  • DarthWaderMT
    Options
    too late, already downed the half teaspoon today haha, but I like your thinking. I am already feeling better, but it could be just placebo, or wishful thinking. I actually like the salty taste though, kind of reminds me of chicken noodle soup.
  • DarthWaderMT
    Options
    I only said yuck because I am still fearful of the conventional wisdom i guess, like the taste
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Bouillion is tasty and solves the problem of how to get in my salt for the day. I'm not sure that I would regularly drink plain salt added in water. I have gotten to the point where I have a nice hot cup first thing in the morning...even before coffee!!
  • DarthWaderMT
    Options
    Eliz 7 why would boulion be better than plain sea salt? I fast in the morning, so don't want to consume calories, plus I see that if you buy pre made bullion cubes, you can get additives and stuff. I could make it and consume it later in the day I guess. I'll see if just the salt works first...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Not Elize but boullion "is better" for some because of taste. Some of us like the taste and just deal with the additives as there will always be someone who cries out "MSG" and whatever else is in a boullion cube. I'm not really into BPC or boullion on a regular basis but they both serve an occasional purpose. I tend to keep things simple and just lick a 1/2 tsp of salt off the palm of my hand. I carry boullion cubes with me for convenience.

I was at at a trade show last month and the friend I was with said she must be hungry because she smelled soup...I was sucking on a salty chicken boullion cube. I could feel myself getting "clammy" for no reason (which is always my 1st sign of needing a hit of sodium) so I opened one and popped it in my mouth.

I'm not surprised @DarthWaderMT mentioned "already feeling better". Rings true for me. 10-20 minutes and I'm all better. Needing a sodium boost on keto (as compared to how I previously ate) is about my only keto truth. A very close second would be keto is great for hunger suppression but I can still overeat when in the wrong frame of mind be it frustrated, bored, habit, etc.

PS: a little butter whipped into a cup of salty broth is very tasty to me in the winter.