Light headed, mid day crashes and vertigo on week three

Options
2»

Replies

• ThreeLilBirdsFarm
    ThreeLilBirdsFarm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I add a pinch of Himalayan salt to my tea and water. That way it's less noticible.
    Also, I add a splash of lemon juice to every glass of water, occasionally, I also add Aloe Vera juice.
  • pinkpanthers1995
    pinkpanthers1995 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am just starting so have not yet experienced the salt deprivation issues yet, but I am prepared with bullion for the "keto flu" I keep hearing about. Lots of great info on here - thanks for the great questions and responses!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies. how could I still be low on sodium, I am eating salty meats, lots of salt and potassium chloride. how much salt more do i need? I am already waking up with dry mouth in the morning, and thirsty all day ugh.

All of this is symptoms of low sodium.
    You can’t get enough just from food.
    You need 5000-7000mg a day. Every day.
    Swallow 1/2 tsp of coarse salt 3-4 times a day and also salt food to taste.
    I personally would skip the potassium unless you’ve tested deficient by blood test.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I am just starting so have not yet experienced the salt deprivation issues yet, but I am prepared with bullion for the "keto flu" I keep hearing about. Lots of great info on here - thanks for the great questions and responses!

I wouldn’t wait for symptoms. If you’re keto, you’re losing sodium every day. It’s not really optional to supplement it. Your body can correct the loss on its own but it’ll do it by increasing insulin to help retain sodium. Just supplement the sodium and avoid the insulin increase
  • DarthWaderMT
    DarthWaderMT Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I felt a lot better today after increasing sodium through a teaspoon of sea salt in a couple glasses of water. I will contunue with that and see if it keeps working. Thanks you all for responding, excellent feedback here!!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I felt a lot better today after increasing sodium through a teaspoon of sea salt in a couple glasses of water. I will continue with that and see if it keeps working. Thanks you all for responding, excellent feedback here!!!
    Great. :)

I hit keto flu when I was about 3 weeks into the diet too. I just couldn't believe that so much salt was good for me. I finally gave in after a few nights of muscle cramps. LOL

I have come to crave salty things now that I have a taste for it. I started with half a teaspoon salt followed by a chaser of water. Now I add salt to all of my coffee, foods, and still start my day with a salt pile in my hand, or a bunch of himalayan salt chunks.

I never did develop a taste for soup/boullion. I'd rather eat salt. ;)

• xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if what I'm feeling today is lack of electrolytes:

I woke up feeling normal, did my morning routine of getting husband ready for work, going on a half hour walk, did some grocery shopping, then cooked myself some lunch. But after lunch, I just wanted to lay down and take a nap!

Could this be because I haven't been drinking my keto-rade the last week? Not adding Lite Salt to my waters. Ugh... I thought I was starting to get depressed or something, I just have no will or energy to do anything. u_u
  • DarthWaderMT
    Options
    Update, I have added a half teaspoon of quality sea salt to a glass of water in the morning, and another at mid day, and it has worked wonders, I feel much better, and oddly enough, became less thirsty and have to pee less! I am still not perfect feeling yet, still got some fat adapting to do, only three weeks in, but things are looking up! Thanks again!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

I woke up feeling normal, did my morning routine of getting husband ready for work, going on a half hour walk, did some grocery shopping, then cooked myself some lunch. But after lunch, I just wanted to lay down and take a nap!

Could this be because I haven't been drinking my keto-rade the last week? Not adding Lite Salt to my waters. Ugh... I thought I was starting to get depressed or something, I just have no will or energy to do anything. u_u

Yes, very likely what you are experiencing is connected to electrolyte imbalance and/or the precursors of "keto flu."
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

Yes, very likely what you are experiencing is connected to electrolyte imbalance and/or the precursors of "keto flu."

Yeah, the keto flu sucked @$$. I'm not going through that again. Back to sucking down lite salt. bleh.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Yeah, the keto flu sucked @$$. I'm not going through that again. Back to sucking down lite salt. bleh.

It’s not so much lite salt you need as sodium. It’s low sodium that causes it
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

It’s not so much lite salt you need as sodium. It’s low sodium that causes it

Yep. Potassium only gets low as the low sodium causes the body to leech other electrolytes. Get and keep sodium up and potassium will level out and stay up.
    Sodium>mag>potassium. That's your supplemental hierarchy of importance.
  • DarthWaderMT
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Yep. Potassium only gets low as the low sodium causes the body to leech other electrolytes. Get and keep sodium up and potassium will level out and stay up.
    Sodium>mag>potassium. That's your supplemental hierarchy of importance.

Yep, that is what worked for me. I try to get my Mag and Potassium from food...

• kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I drink some pickle juice every day, but I don't let my family see me because they gag :) I also drink bouillon sometimes and add salt to my foods. I haven't had keto flu in a long long time even starting keto again recently after just being low carb for a long time. I don't log it though. I can tell by how I'm feeling if I'm salt deficient.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

PS: a little butter whipped into a cup of salty broth is very tasty to me in the winter.

Oh yes, hot buttered broth is my favorite winter, before bed treat on gym nights! Delicious!! Beats bullet proof coffee any day, although broth could never replace my good old morning black coffee!!
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Olives, bacon, pickle juice, anchovies, pork rinds, pink salt, SODIUM MATTERS, especially in the beginning of going LCHF/Keto. Bullet Proof can be made with a cup of cocoa, cup of tea, cup of bone broth, etc. :)