Don’t get fixated on a number.

Options
HappyKat5
HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
edited May 2018 in Social Groups
Many times, I think we lock into things we see instead of trusting our instincts. Some quote (and I don’t remember who said it) said we often do things because we “see things” instead of what we actually “hear or feel” and I actually, think that’s so true. I think many of us hear “You should lose this amount of weight after surgery OR you won’t be able to eat that again” and that might be true. But, when that doesn’t happening, we feel like a failure. But, you’re not. You’re learning how to live with a whole different body that you had before the surgery. Whether, you get a bypass, lap band or sleeve, you are new person because you’re not the same. Trust your self and see the changes you make. So what, if you don’t reach a certain number at a certain date...acknowledge what you have accomplished. So what, if the scale says you didn’t lose anything this week, can you walk farther than you did a month ago? It’s good to have a goal but don’t forget the little things that are helping with that! Numbers say something but it’s not everything!
On my surgery date, I weighed 130. After my surgery (and during my recovery) my weight dropped to about 112. I’ve been between 140-145 for the last couple of months and I think I look better than I did before my surgery.
I feel better which makes me smile more.
I felt like I went thru some crap (because recovery ain’t easy) so I value myself more. I stand up for myself more. I don’t take as much crap. You might not feel that way right now, but hopefully you will.

Anyways, this came from the heart.

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @HappyKat5 I agree with a lot of what you wrote. Just to be clear, you had surgery @ 130lbs? Bariatric surgery? I guess I'm a little confused.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    @JamesAztec I had a total gastrectomy due to an illness called Gastroparesis. I’ve had most of my digestive tract removed, appendix, gallbladder, colon and stomach.
  • JamesAztec
    Options
    HappyKat5 wrote: »
    @JamesAztec I had a total gastrectomy due to an illness called Gastroparesis. I’ve had most of my digestive tract removed, appendix, gallbladder, colon and stomach.

Oh, ok. I looked at another post of yours and just saw it. Were you ever overweight/obese? This was ten years ago?
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    HappyKat5, I totally agree with you about the number obsession for both size and weight. The medical field and social media has driven us to want to fit into someone's perception of what they believe is perfection. Being healthy is so much more important than a dress size.
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I also agree. I was looking at a VSG success I follow on YouTube and Instagram. She is perfectly thin at 5’2 and 144-147. She considers herself in maintenance, which is correct after a year in that range. but her BMI is still overweight. BMI is so skewed.
  • JamesAztec
    Options
    BMI is so skewed.

I try and tell everyone DON'T WORRY ABOUT BMI. It's a made up formula by a Belgian mathematician 150 years ago. It became popularized in the '90s when insurance companies started using it to deny coverage to "overweight" and "obese" people. It has NO BASIS in health or science. It was never intended to measure individuals. Most people who are "overweight" are a relatively healthy size. According to BMI, I'm over 20lbs "overweight". I just ran a Full Marathon. I think I'm fine. :-)