Keto/LC And Intermittent Fasting-Down 70 lbs in 18 Weeks

Options

Replies

• PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    jrmie333 wrote: »
    You look great and losing fast. I suppose that you are also working out a lot to not have excessive skin issues later.

Thank you! I was working out with weights and cycling but I pulled my lower back pretty badly so haven't worked out for bit over a month now. I'm not too sure if I'm gonna have loose skin issues or not. So far it doesn't seem like it but still have more to lose. Some folks say with combining IF with Keto that loose skin isn't a problem due to autophagy so who knows. I can't tell yet for certain but so far it looks good.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Great job Paul. I'm similar in age and starting stats so your transformation is a huge motivator to me :)
  • PaulChasinDreams
    Options
    craignev wrote: »
    Great job Paul. I'm similar in age and starting stats so your transformation is a huge motivator to me :)

Awesome that's great to hear Craig thank you :smile:
  • xosummerrainxo
    xosummerrainxo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. What an inspiration. What does your one meal look like if you don’t mind sharing?
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. What an inspiration. What does your one meal look like if you don’t mind sharing?

Thank you! Depends on the day. Since losing 75 lbs and eating this way for awhile now it is getting harder and harder for me to eat so many calories in one meal but I still manage by adding a protein shake and if I need to a fat bomb or two. Macro's are my main concern rather than calories. Although I do always know exactly how many calories I am eating day to day cause I am recording everything for myself, my doctor, and a dietician who are all supervising my journey of fat loss. I eat low carb but some days here and there I let my carbs go a bit higher if I am really in the mood for a certain dish but I rarely go over 30 grams carbs a day and more days than not I am around 10 to 20 grams. But with my metabolism and intermittent fasting combined with keto I have found I stay in full ketosis even eating up to 50 grams carbs per day a couple times a week. But I did that to just see if my ketones stayed high. I test with a blood tester. I eat lot's of eggs, avocado, salads, veggies, tons of seafood cause I am a fisherman and live on the west coast of BC Canada so I catch a lot of seafood. And I eat beef, chicken and pork dishes with quite a bit of sausage dishes too. I love to cook so I go online and look up recipes that look good then tweek them to taste good to my likings adding or subtracting ingredients if needed. I also allow myself to have some white rice, black ancient rice, and potatoes once and a while as long as it doesn't put my carbs up too high. But eating just once a day this makes it much easier to do that. Even with say a Spanish Chirizo sausage dish with peppers, bit of onion, herbs, crushed stewed tomato and a little bit of noodle to go with it I can still stay at around 25 grams of carbs in that meal. I also keep a stock pile of home made "nutella type" fat bombs I make from scratch out of blended walnut, pecan, brazil and macadamia nuts, coconut oil, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, stevia etc so that I can boost my fat intake if I'm low for a meal. I also make burgers and just cut buns smaller to keep the carbs lower. A bun has around 32 grams of carbs give or take so I cut them thinner and take in only around 20 grams from a burger bun that way. Cause I love artisan breads etc too so even a bit of that with supper can really get you that flavor craving you may be having. I also eat a lot of Ghee (clarified butter), heavy cream, and MCT oil.

Wow good job man.
  • Matdubya
    Matdubya Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I just started IF and Keto 3 days ago.

Looking to replicate your success!

please share best practices!
  • PaulChasinDreams
    Options
    Matdubya wrote: »

Congrats! My lifestyle is pretty simple now really. I eat low carb every day. Some days as low as 10 grams, other days from 10 to 30 grams and some days I treat myself and get up to 40 grams. But I test with a blood keto meter to make sure I always stay in ketosis and I don't ever put two 40 gram days in a row. Everyone is different how or if they stay in ketosis and you will have to play around with your macros to see how little carbs you need to eat to stay in full ketosis. I make sure I get between .4 to .7 grams of protein a day and eat around 60 to 65% fat a day. I have mixed in a few groups of extended fasting along the way too. Two, two day water only fasts, and two three day water only fasts so far. I have approx 18 to 20 lbs more fat to lose. I am now in my 40th hr of a water only fast and am considering doing a 10 day water only fast to see how much of this last fat on me will burn off in that time.
    Feel free to ask me any questions along your journey. I have also weight lifted for about 2 months during this 5 months but I injured my back so haven't exercised over the past 5 weeks but will be staring up again soon.
  • Matdubya
    Matdubya Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Congrats! My lifestyle is pretty simple now really. I eat low carb every day. Some days as low as 10 grams, other days from 10 to 30 grams and some days I treat myself and get up to 40 grams. But I test with a blood keto meter to make sure I always stay in ketosis and I don't ever put two 40 gram days in a row. Everyone is different how or if they stay in ketosis and you will have to play around with your macros to see how little carbs you need to eat to stay in full ketosis. I make sure I get between .4 to .7 grams of protein a day and eat around 60 to 65% fat a day. I have mixed in a few groups of extended fasting along the way too. Two, two day water only fasts, and two three day water only fasts so far. I have approx 18 to 20 lbs more fat to lose. I am now in my 40th hr of a water only fast and am considering doing a 10 day water only fast to see how much of this last fat on me will burn off in that time.
    Feel free to ask me any questions along your journey. I have also weight lifted for about 2 months during this 5 months but I injured my back so haven't exercised over the past 5 weeks but will be staring up again soon.

What do you recommend for testing ketones? What things have you done/eaten in the past that you were surprised that kicked you out of ketosis? Why such low protein? Everything I've read says that I want to do more than that! I've been back in the gym, trying to find what's best for me. I hope to get onto a 2 day a cardio/2 days weight routine.
  • jotti101
    jotti101 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wow, well done you! Its very hard to deal with health issues on top of weight so you have done an amazing job and I bet your general health will have improved too. Inspirational keep doing what you are doing and we are all here to support you.

• PaulChasinDreams
    edited June 2018
    Options

What do you recommend for testing ketones? What things have you done/eaten in the past that you were surprised that kicked you out of ketosis? Why such low protein? Everything I've read says that I want to do more than that! I've been back in the gym, trying to find what's best for me. I hope to get onto a 2 day a cardio/2 days weight routine.

I use a blood ketone monitor. There are a few different brands out there. Mine is a Precision Xtra. Blood ketones are better to go by than urine test strips cause the urine ones just test for excess ketones... https://www.perfectketo.com/a-guide-to-testing-ketone-levels/

Alcohol has a very rapid (at least with me it did) affect of kicking me out of ketosis. I am not a big drinker of alcohol to start with so it hasn't been a big issue for me to cut back on that. I like to have a couple beers a week with supper some times if I am eating foods that go well with it or a glass of dry white wine. So I have cut back even on that small amount too. I will have an alcoholic bevy once a week or so now. Two at the most.
    I have been pretty fortunate with how much carbs I can eat and stay keto adapted but I think the OMAD lifestyle also helps with that. I can't prove that but from my own experience I think it helps cause I have done Atkins in the past without intermittent fasting OMAD and I bounced out of ketosis much quicker than I do now. Once a week or so I will let my carbs get to around 40 grams to treat myself with a bun or rice or bit of potatoes and I still stay in full ketosis. But I never do two of those days in a row. I have lot's of days I eat around 10 grams and other days between 20 to 30 grams. We are all different so you gotta see where you fall into the proper macro formula for yourself. That's why a blood ketone tester is so helpful in that way. In the first two months of me getting into keto I was testing my blood ketones almost every day. Ya it was expensive lol. Now that I know my metabolism pretty well after 5 months I am not testing it nearly as often. Around once every 8 days or so now lately.

Regarding the protein a lot of newer science is showing there isn't a need for large amounts of protein in order to maintain and/or build muscle mass while eating Keto lifestyle. As long as I get between .4 to .7 grams of protein per pound of body fat then I am happy with that and it still makes it relatively easy for me to get the right amounts of fat and carbs in to keep me in full ketosis. I do Dexa scans every two months to see if I am retaining my lean mass and/or gaining some as I lose the fat and although I am still in my early stages of Dexa scans it seems I am doing well in the lean mass department so I am happy with my current diet ratio of protein intake. But I suggest you eat the amount you feel is right for you and what works for you. I started at .4 grams per and now have increased it a bit to the .5/.6 more recently and that was from advice from my doctor and my dietician.

I am not too concerned with gaining lean muscle mass until all my fat is gone to a level I am happy with so If I can just maintain my lean mass right now then I am very happy with that. Gaining any while losing fat is an added bonus if it happens. Do some reading on body "recomp" to get more in depth detail on that while doing keto.
    When all my fat is gone then I will get more focused on the putting on more lean mass and can adjust my macro's appropriately. For me my health markers all suggested that my main priority should be focused on getting the fat off of my body so that is my main concern right now. But being a former gym rat when I was younger that muscle building/strength building mentality is always there in the back of my mind so I can't wait to really go hard at the weights again. Have a lower back injury right now and a pinched sciatic nerve has really messed that up for me though currently.

Different studies, advice by doctors, dieticians etc vary seemingly between the .4 to 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. So I usually average myself in around .5 to .6 per pound of body weight daily in my one meal I eat.
    I was a power lifter in my late teens and early 20's and back then the school of thought was to eat massive amounts of protein and hammered back tons of amino acids daily. But newer evidence shows such high amounts are not really necessary. I read and research tons about that kind of stuff in my free time but I don't really save articles or study results etc so if you do some google searches about it the info is pretty quick to come up in the search results. I usually do a subsequent search after reading articles/study results etc to see if they are from reputable resources. I suggest everybody does the same. Also please consult with your doctor while you are doing drastic changes to your diet/lifestyle cause we all have different health things going on with us and we are all really just strangers on the internet so you should always have a professional on your side line advising and supervising you in your weight loss journey. :smile:

This video isn't keto specific but the figures he discusses is pretty much in line with most of the research I have read regarding the protein needed. ie. the different amounts needed with different goals in mind; maintenance, fat loss, muscle mass gaining:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSad9BqWRM

And some more keto specific write ups about it:
    https://www.ruled.me/comprehensive-guide-bodybuilding-ketogenic-diet/
    https://www.ruled.me/mythbusting-training-on-keto-diet/
    https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/ketogenic-nutrition-and-exercise-protein
  • PaulChasinDreams
    Options
    jotti101 wrote: »
    Wow, well done you! Its very hard to deal with health issues on top of weight so you have done an amazing job and I bet your general health will have improved too. Inspirational keep doing what you are doing and we are all here to support you.

Thank you very much for the kind words :smile: Yes I'm super happy with my general health improving across the board. :smile: Feeling very happy and healthy and motivated. Lot's of great folks here on the forum and it's a pleasure sharing my journey with others.
  • PaulChasinDreams
    Options
    Hello everyone. Just bit of an update.. It's now been 6 months or 180 days or 25.7 weeks (however you want to calculate it) since I started eating low carb and intermittent fasting. I weighed 274 lbs on Feb 2nd 2018. Today, July 1st 2018 I now weigh 186 lbs. A loss of 88 lbs so far. Which is an average of 3.42 lbs lost per week. As I noted before all my health markers are perfect now. I am no longer pre diabetic, I no longer have to worry about a fatty liver and I feel amazing with loads of energy every day.

Just thought I'd post up a few more pictures with hopes that they may inspire others out there to lose fat to benefit their health.

Day 1, Weight=274 lbs....Feb 2nd 2018:
    00kos55p8gnr.jpg
    2n8nmd9wocca.jpg
    mhpbtirsbl84.jpg

Day 146 (20.8 weeks in) Weight=195 lbs... June 28 2018
    cp2ls4c5g4oa.jpg
    yeumadbtt7bx.jpg
    mehkwikzgjl2.jpg

• ari_s97
    ari_s97 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!! True inspiration for me so I can keep doing what am doing, thank you for sharing your amazing results!!! :)
  • jjfreebird59
    jjfreebird59 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Did I see you on reddit/keto pics? You look great!
  • PaulChasinDreams
    Options
    ari_s97 wrote: »
    Congrats on your weight loss!! True inspiration for me so I can keep doing what am doing, thank you for sharing your amazing results!!! :)

Thank you so much! I'm so glad to hear it can be an inspiration for others. Keep doing what your doing and keep that positivity up and that nice smile going! :smile:
  • PaulChasinDreams
    Options
    Did I see you on reddit/keto pics? You look great!

Thank you! No I've never posted any pics of myself on reddit. Maybe someone else did? Do you have a link to where you think you saw them?

I am a member of some other weight loss groups online and a private one with doctors and dieticians but I'm not aware of anyone posting my pics anywhere other than where we post regularly.
  • cindy2021
    cindy2021 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow. Really inspired! Hope. Now I know keto really works. You look great! Thanks for sharing.
  • PaulChasinDreams
    Options
    cindy2021 wrote: »
    Wow. Really inspired! Hope. Now I know keto really works. You look great! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much for the kind words! My pleasure sharing my info and results. I'm glad it can be inspiring for others. <3
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Great journey!