Is it really possible?

Options
noel2fit
noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
I need to know. Is it really possible for anyone to get a super lean, tight, hard body? I've been "skinny fat" all my life. Slim-ish, but never a flat stomach, never low enough fat to have muscles showing. Nothing like the instagram girls I admire, even when I have lost weight down to 120lbs and even when I was crossfitting daily and even when I completed the entire P90X program (twice!) and even when I am flexing and doing the same "flattering" poses... One of my favorite bloggers does a 10 minute HIIT program and swears that's all the exercise she's doing daily and seems to eat a pretty good whole foods diet, but sometimes eats ice-cream or snacky things and she looks AMAZING! Is it her habit to default to a lot healthier choices? Is it having never been fat? Is it body type? Is it possible for me to ever be tall and thin looking if that's not my default??? I probably spend too much time thinking about this and I want to know am I just never working hard enough for long enough? What does it take? Anyone here change their life from skinny fat to pinspiration-worthy (totally brag I want to know how it's done!)? Maybe I should hire a coach and see what it takes to get there realistically. This is bucket list for me and I'm not getting any younger...

Replies

• noel2fit
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses- this chart is extremely helpful and I've never seen it before! I love that it discusses social situations. That's of course the most difficult part of fitness and it's so often written off with "just make good choices, it'll be fine". Also thank you both for letting me know about timelines! Losing weight isn't on the same timeline as body recomposition and it's something I don't really understand.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I think one thing that I didn't realize was how much socialization is integrated with food in my life. It was a big struggle to take a step back once I realized how much excess I was eating and not all of it was worth it.

I used to go horse riding (not just trail riding) then grab a beer afterwards at the craft brewery on the way home, or go hiking with friends at a waterfall then stop at the winery on the way home. Then everyone loves to get heavy heavy but very tasty thai food for dinner.

Then being a grad student there is free pizza galore and the department hosts events for us centered around food: cookies and coffe one day, ice cream the next month, a sad attempt at bbq the one after, then more cookies... oh and happy hours too.
    It all adds up and unfortunately people still look at me like I sprouted another head if I tell them im not eating the food.

LASTLY check out this board on recomposition if bulk cut cycles seem too intense to do with your lifestyle at the moment. It is an even slower process but depending on where you are mentally and physically it can be a good place to start.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Also, if this is a bucket list item for you...like you just once in your life want to be totally ripped and have the photographic evidence of it, I say go for it. You'll dip into ultra lean territory, but as long as you don't stay there I don't think you'll be doing your health any long term damage. Hire a coach if you need to and schedule a competition or photo shoot to put a fire under you.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    It's do-able. I've seen people do it and know some of them personally. I used to be there, fit and healthy and photo-worthy lean.

Now, it takes a lot more work. My life then was a lot more active in general - nights out were spent dancing the night away, hiking around a college campus, my jobs were on my feet and moving. Now I sit at a desk pretty much all day tied to a computer other than runs to the printer or bathroom, going out with friends revolves sitting around eating and drinking, etc. Sure, I have added gym time to my life, but that doesn't make up for the lost activity.

Dedication and hard work are definitely required. Following a lifting program to build muscle, and understanding that, especially as women, it takes TIME.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that infographic @mom23mangos I haven't seen it in a really long time. I would probably be in the 20-22% range. I've probably been lower right before bulking but I don't stay there very long.

Also I used to carry a lot of fat in my lower body... and be very lean on top. Building muscle in the lower body especially has helped so now when I lean down the muscle pops and I don't have to go so low in weight or bodyfat% for my legs to look sculpted and defined.

But anyways OP it really depends on what you mean by super lean, like bikini competitor on show day lean (non-sustainable at all), off season lean (very sustainable) or somewhere in between (which is where I like to be, pretty much my profile photo, takes commitment but can be maintained with some work).
  • noel2fit
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing that infographic @mom23mangos I haven't seen it in a really long time. I would probably be in the 20-22% range. I've probably been lower right before bulking but I don't stay there very long.

Also I used to carry a lot of fat in my lower body... and be very lean on top. Building muscle in the lower body especially has helped so now when I lean down the muscle pops and I don't have to go so low in weight or bodyfat% for my legs to look sculpted and defined.

But anyways OP it really depends on what you mean by super lean, like bikini competitor on show day lean (non-sustainable at all), off season lean (very sustainable) or somewhere in between (which is where I like to be, pretty much my profile photo, takes commitment but can be maintained with some work).

I think I'm at 25-30% now, with my ideal being 20-22%. Knowing it will take time and commitment clearly I should change my daily commitments to the 22-25% range first, and re-adjust with time.

At the same time I think a coach could really help me as I may have a distorted view of myself. It's probably best to take legitimate body fat measurements!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    A good coach can definitely help you get in the right direction. But definitely do your research and if they want you to take crazy supplements or put you on weird crash diets where you cut everything out, or make you workout with pink 2lb dumbbells claiming that anything heavier will bulk you up...run as far in the opposite direction as you can!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    And take those habits above with a grain of salt. I'm probably somewhere around the 18-20% range and I eat carbs and dessert every day. I honestly think the most reliable indicator of switching between stages is the amount of sleep you need. I need at LEAST 7-8hrs of sleep a night and when I'm cutting I need 8-10.