Personal best on squats

Options
JeffseekingV
JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
After taking a 10 year break from lifting, I started up again in 2009. I never even thought I'd come close to some of my old lifts but I've done okay for me.

Old best was 450lbs with suit, belt and wraps. But I forgot how much I did with just a belt. Maybe 315 for 5? Been too long.

But I recently have been doing 335lbs for singles. Did it again last night. But I have outer hip pain. Ouch. Tender.

I also need to film the lifts to see how far I'm going down. I'm 90% sure, I'm not breaking plane for a legal lift.

Replies

• KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Try adding in Bulgarian squats into your routine - it'll work your hip stabilizers and may help with that outside pain.

I'm trying to iron out the speed bump I get when raising up past parallel (I go down all the way, but my weakest point is on the way back up when I break the parallel line). I'm trying my hand at paused squats to get rid of the stretch reflex, but not sure if that's going to help much.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    The hip pain is recent. I do those squats sometimes but not always. Good info thanks.
  • danixfit
    danixfit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this group but am hoping that I can jump in. I have loved going back and reading all of the discussions.

I just finished a cycle and maxed out at 190x10. Next cycle I should be doing close to my previous 1RM for reps.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Whoa! That's great. After i was done with squats, some young dude was squatting at 135lbs. You would have destroyed that guy's ego. hehe
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    In the beginning of the year I set a goal to be able to squat 400 lbs (raw) during my 50th year. In truth, I had not tried to do a single max rep squat in about 10 years, so I had no idea what I was capable of. Well, I tried it last night. Warmed up carefully and squatted 400 down to just below parallel with a sumo style stance no problem. I think I have room in the tank for more, but I'm gonna shut it down for now so I can live up to another goal of deadlifting 450 before the end of the year.

But I'm gonna have to set some new squat goals. That's for sure.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Belt and knee sleeves an ugly 270 in the gym. Equipped in contest - 320. both at about 130lbs

Edited to add: I would have red lighted my 270 but my 320 was good.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck around the 365-375 range for awhile now at between 210-220 bw. I tend to waffle a lot between disliking the flab I'm carrying and being determined to get strong, so instead of doing proper bulk/cut cycles I screw up and split hairs and end up spinning my wheels as often as not. Just started Brandon Lilly's Cube method last week, though, and am committed to getting the right amount of calories to fuel it, so I'm hoping to see some movement. Never really done a proper PL program before (not one by a well-respected powerlifter, at any rate), so I'm excited to see how this works out. I can already see the potential benefits to the speed work. I'm not 100% sure I get the design concept behind his "rep" days, but I figure Brandon Lilly knows a lot more than I do so I'm just going to do the program as best I can and see where it goes.

Getting ready to start a month or so of 7 10's on nights at work, which may put a cramp in training, but I hope to at least be able to get the main movements in on every lift every week, if not all the accessory work or the fourth "extra body building" day.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    All time squat PB is 200KG\440Lb's back at 85KG\187lbs BW. Comp PB is 180KG\396Lb's at the same weight. Really struggling to get my squat back following a sciatica issue, all sorted now though. Comp on 13th October, Planning 170KG opener, Maybe 190KG second lift, and then see from there...
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    157.5kg/ 347lb
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    After taking a 10 year break from lifting, I started up again in 2009. I never even thought I'd come close to some of my old lifts but I've done okay for me.

Old best was 450lbs with suit, belt and wraps. But I forgot how much I did with just a belt. Maybe 315 for 5? Been too long.

But I recently have been doing 335lbs for singles. Did it again last night. But I have outer hip pain. Ouch. Tender.

I also need to film the lifts to see how far I'm going down. I'm 90% sure, I'm not breaking plane for a legal lift.

if you are used to squatting in gear , is it possible your hip pain is caused by squatting too wide when not wearing gear?
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Naw. It's been way too many years w/o the gear. but I've been playing with the stance. but more toes pointed out or more straight. Straighter meant a little less pain.

But the hips would hurt after running and bball. so I recently put my orthotics back in my shoes while at work and there's a big difference. I might try them when I lift to see what happens. ie.. try them on 135 or 225lbs and see how that changes how my muscles are hit
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    My best squat is only 365lbs. My hip flexors are constantly sore for several days after a squat session so I've recently decided to switch to an Olympic squat with the hope that it will be more hip friendly. So far so good, my hips definitely don't hurt like they normally do. My 1RM is 320lbs on the Olympic Squat.
  • danixfit
    Options
    Just maxed out today and had a 35lb PR for 255lbs at 145lb BW Raw
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

Nice. That's an awesome feeling isn't it?
  • JNick77
    Options

Wow, that's awesome!
  • danixfit
    Options
    Thanks and great feeling indeed!
  • vinzorelli
    Options
    285 @ ~128lbs. Sub 10% BF, Inzer belt.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    At the APF (American Powerlifting Federation) Fall Open a couple of weeks ago, I hit a PR and set a national APF record for my bodyweight class in the amateur/raw division. I had a 275# squat in the 123lb/56Kg weight class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LDN4K0G6qQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=1740 (29:00 mark)
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    At the APF (American Powerlifting Federation) Fall Open a couple of weeks ago, I hit a PR and set a national APF record for my bodyweight class in the amateur/raw division. I had a 275# squat in the 123lb/56Kg weight class.

awesome accomplishments!
  • JNick77
    Options
    285 @ ~128lbs. Sub 10% BF, Inzer belt.

That's crazy, nice! What kind of Inzer belt?