Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Active in August

Mihani
Mihani Posts: 4,052 Member
I really intend to get back to regular exercise this month so I am going with Active in August for this month's topic. I have been working so much that I'm feeling worn out and weak. I want to get back to some strength training to build up my energy and stamina.

Made a grocery trip on the way home from the office today and have plenty of salad goodies for the week. Just need to prep tonight or tomorrow. I have to go back to the office tomorrow, and may be a bit scarce the next week or so as we're finally going to be implementing our new software and the preparation is just adding to my endless list of things to do.

Replies

• CoffeeandHumblePie
    CoffeeandHumblePie Posts: 139 Member
    Love this month’s title! And it’s a kick in the pants. In general, I’m more active in the summer so I tend to be slack on “official” exercise. I’m feeling the need to get back into a routine.
  • Mihani
    What type of things do you like to do Jacquie? I enjoy watching Amazon Prime shows while I treadmill, and have a few Jillian Michaels and The Firm videos that I like. I get bored with videos pretty quickly though. I also like playing around with dumbbells, but I've never developed an actual routine with them.

Heading to the office today. I think I finally shook this sinus/allergy flareup and feeling pretty good this morning. I was lazy last night and need to get home and prep my salad goodies and do laundry tonight.
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    Mihani, I prefer walking, which doesn't always work out as I have joint & foot issues. Last winter I used the nicely cushioned walking track at the community center, which I plan to do again this winter. Otherwise, I use T-Tapp. It's only a 20 minute work-out but it is really intense. I always get great results when I am consistent with it. Two to three days per week is all you need.

Glad you are on the tail end of the sinus issue!
  • Mihani
    I have heard of T-Tapp haven't tried it. I'll have to check it out.

Spent almost the whole day yesterday working with our new software provider to get the first stage set up on everyone's PCs and trouble-shooting. More work to do on that over the next couple days and into next week, but I hope the biggest part of it is over and I can get back to the real work piling up more than ever.

I haven't been too on plan the past week or so... not wildly off, but enough "cheats" to keep my weight from dropping. I am back at it today. Salad packed ready to go for lunch, have good stuff for dinners. I am going to try to start morning workouts. I have never liked working out in the mornings, but I am so busy and never know what time I'm going to get home lately that I don't see any other choice.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,061 Member
    Hello,

Back from Canada trip. I love the title active in August! I had typed a long message yesterday but I lost it. It was a great escape from hot humidity to dry heat. The Pacific Northwest was in a middle of a heat wave. Brooks did the 1/2 iron man. Of 3,000 participants 250 did not finish. It was amazing and intimidating. I waited at the finish line for him where the announcer called out name, age and where they were from. Several woman were in their 60's and men in their 70's. I texted my friend after a 66 y/o woman finished and she said i have 6 years to prepare....hahaha. NO WAY. I like my little sprint triathlons. Next one is in 11 days. My asthma kicked up pretty bad last three weeks.

Sunday we went on a 23 mile bike ride...one of my favorite rides to work on hills. The road follows the Guadalupe River and is tree lined. Made it up the dreaded big hill and by the time we were done the temperature was 98*. That night Brooks fixed a healthy dinner BUT he bought Oreo cookies...we ate almost 1/2 the bag. Next morning, dieter's remorse because I did not work this hard to gain my weight back plus all the sugar and crap in Oreo cookies...we had an argument about this. We both turned 60 this year and I don't want to go back to eating and drinking junk. I was so mad because after Canada, swimming and walking I was down another 2 lbs and then overnight it was back. I know I should not be so emotional over the number of the scales and always after a big workout I retain fluids but I just felt sick after Oreos. We did need the calories but should have had the watermelon I bought.

Sigh, I guess there are worse things for a couple to argue about. He is gone for a week so I am going cold turkey on cookies & candies & wine.

Mihani - I hear you about morning workouts. I am not a morning person but I have found walking or swimming a peaceful way to start the day. Having the clothes laid out and a piece of fruit or something ready helps.
  • Mihani
    Welcome back Donna, and congrats to Brooks for finishing the iron man! Glad you had a nice time. Sorry about the Oreo Argument. I am like you though, I have to stay pretty close to 100% or I just keep letting the extras mount. I'm sure you'll be fine after a week filling yourself up with good nutritious food. I am a morning person, but I really like getting to the office early so I can get things done before all the daily distractions start. I try to be at the office no later than 7:30 so I'm up early as it is, and getting up earlier isn't appealing, but even if I only do 20 minutes on the treadmill it's something.

Another crazy day at work and the next week is going to be more of the same trying to juggle all the usual plus the software upgrades/installation. I sure hope it helps make us more efficient once it is all implemented.

I have been eating mostly oatmeal, steamed/sauteed veggies, salad, fruit, sprouted grain toast with PB. Thinking I'll get better about prepping and cooking when the weather cools.

• bisky
    Hi here you Mihani. I was better when I was making soups and chili last fall through winter. It is so much easier.

Yesterday was another mini tri day of swimming, spin bike and ran 1 mile on treadmill. Eating was okay except kept eating these stupid sweet Hawaiian rolls Brooks bought. I might throw them away. Why can’t I resist?

Oatmeal mix and blueberries for breakfast

This is my salad with roasted broccoli, white beans, quinoa &sweet potato mix and balsamic glaze and 1 ounce of tuna.

meyy1a6pl722.jpeg
  • Mihani
    Tasty looking salad, Donna, and great workout. I was so tired when I got home that dinner was spring mix on sprouted grain bread with some dijon mustard. And that seemed like a chore to prepare! LOL Also ate a few cherries. I'm low on fruit just have apples and cherries. Need to get some more this weekend.
  • bisky
    edited August 2018
    Mihani - blueberries are so cheap right now. I just came back from store with blueberries, watermelon, mango and bananas. Plus some low cal almond milk to make some fruit smoothies. Are you still ordering groceries to be delivered?

I went to the YMCA late afternoon and walk/ran 3.0 miles. I was sweating, heart rate 140's and short of breath...I kept wondering if I was having a heart attack. One of the best motivation talks I heard was at the Ironman pre event. A trainer said you need an answer. Why am I doing this? Why am I pushing myself so hard? That when it gets tough you need to have the answers in your brain to get you through this. My answer is I love to hike in the mtns. I also want to finally solve my weight problem so that the next 10 years until I turn 70 are healthy as I can make them. I can mentally hike 5-7 miles (not too steep) but I have had a mental block about running again...not sure about my hips, knees and feet. Could I have a heart attack like Bob Harper on Biggest losers....don't laugh...I have had all these negative attitudes about running. To be honest, I have not had much pain anywhere at all except my thumb from gripping a tennis racket to hard. Even after our epic bike ride (pre oreo cookie binge) nothing hurts and I really think it is due to the healthy diet.

Dinner - baked tostadas with fat free refried beans topped with lettuce and mushrooms and salsa. Dessert - one coconut date roll (no added sugar) after dog's evening walk.
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    Hi all - hey, I got the job I applied for! Back to work on the 27th. Thirty-two hours a week, but full benefits. Very excited. I have 2 weeks to pull my eating game plan together. One definite is to say no to the bistro. (It’s a large clinic with an excellent eatery.) They allow staff to connect their ID to the bistro and gift shop to pay for purchases and have them automatically deducted from pay check. Not good for the wallet or my health.
  • bisky
    Congratulations on the job! What kind of work? What is your game plan for taking lunch?

Took yesterday off from exercising other than walking dogs. I met a friend for lunch at a salad restaurant called Salata https://www.salata.com. I had a big mixed green salad with all types of vegetables and beans plus unsweetened cold peach green tea. I think this is going to be my new lunch place. I like that it is not a salad buffet like Whole Foods that could be contaminated by a sick person. It is set up just like a subway where you tell them everything you want. It is so healthy I would take Dr. Furman for lunch there....hahaha.

I am rereading ETL. There is so much info in that book...I think the first few times I read it not everything sunk in. I think it makes sense for me to have 1-2 fruit at breakfast when my blood sugar is low then cooked vegetables at night. I have been on a roasted broccoli kick at night time. Less heart burn. What is left over I add to a salad for lunch next day. I have lost the Oreo cookies pounds!
  • Mihani
    I have cooled on the grocery delivery the past couple weeks Donna, just because I am finding myself too busy to cook and things were going to waste. I am hoping after next week to have more time/energy for prepping and cooking. I was reading a bit from Eat for Health last night too. The restaurant sounds really good.

Congrats on the job Jacquie! Sounds like it worked out that you held out for the right position.

Still super busy, but hoping that it will settle down a bit after next week. Thank goodness for oatmeal, pre-washed spring mix and canned beans!
  • Mihani
    Made it to the grocery this morning and going to stay home from the office today. Clean the house, laundry, prep food for the week. I have lettuce, beets, radishes, grape tomatoes, carrots for salads. I also got ingredients to make the kale and cabbage casserole from Dr. F's Quick & Easy Cookbook. We'll see how that turns out. Going to make a batch of E2 hummus and a batch of the Cashew Caesar salad dressing. And of course, watermelon, blueberries, clementines and apples. Should be all set for the week. I want to start getting in some exercise beginning tomorrow (housecleaning will be enough exercise today) and having dinners ready to go will give me time when I get home.
  • bisky
    I can't wait to hear the verdict on the kale and cabbage casserole. Sounds like a good plan for the weekend.

I was totally into chopping last night. Chopped up a cauliflower, peppers, onions, zucchinis and watermelon. Chopped up everything I could...dogs are still alive...hahaha

so I am ready to give up fish. Big step for me. I was thinking about how Dr. F says they are one of the most contaminated foods on the earth. I easily get grossed out. With all the serious garbage in the ocean I agree. This is a big step for me. I might just cut down or really quit fish. I still am going to have eggs occasionally, cream for coffee and yogurt that has live cultures and probiotics as it helps my heart burn.

Played great tennis today against 40 yos. My partner and I won! I keep saying to my self: not bad for 60 y/o. It was so humid. Just gross out. I hope my triathlon next week won't be so humid or I will have trouble.
  • Mihani
    Wow... what a day. I got a good dent made in the backlog of housework. The house is still a mess, but it looks better. So. Much. Pet. Hair. I haven't even tried to tackle upstairs yet, but the main floor is pretty much done. I didn't stop until 6 p.m. to take a shower and start cooking so I didn't get to the casserole. I did chop up radishes and carrots for salads (forgot about the beets, will do those next weekend they last a long time) and made the detox salad. Honestly I forgot how huge a batch that recipe makes. Easily 12 or 14 cups. So I will be eating that all week as it is. I also made the hummus and still need to cut up the watermelon. Think I'll just have a hummus and veggie sandwich tonight. It's already 8:30 and I haven't had dinner. Still one more load of linens to go in the dryer. I sure hope I can move tomorrow!

Awesome job on the tennis game today Donna! Glad you didn't chop up the dogs lol. Have you tried any of the non-dairy yogurts? I get those every once in a while.
  • Mihani
    Running all day and in the office a couple hours. Forgot to eat breakfast and got home sooo hungry, but made the casserole and I actually kind of like it. It's a little bland, which is my usual complaint about Dr. F recipes, but with some ground black pepper on top it's good. I think I'd add a little more garlic and some pepper directly to the sauce next time, but I'll make it again, and maybe add some mushrooms next time too. I thought the combo of cabbage and kale was interesting, and after it baked I realized the cabbage kind of looks like and has the texture of noodles for the casserole. Nice comfort food recipe.
  • bisky
    Mihani - I don't know why but I never heard of non dairy yogurt. Does it still have live cultures and probiotics? Casserole sounded interesting.

Busy but fun day. Brooks is back on board...he made a veggie scramble this morning. Then Cleo & I went and did a new personal best for this year and ran 2 miles without stopping. It started to rain the last 1/4 mile which cooled me off. Humidity is still very high. Then picked friends up from airport, took them down town to their hotel. Had lunch, a really good lettuce, avocado black bean salad with delicious mexican bread. Next swam for 40 minutes with Brooks timing me for the triathlon next week. Laundry and now going to settle down with a movie.
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    I've seen non dairy yogurt in our local stores but have not tried it yet. If you decide to try some, let us know what you think.

Just got back from a two-night camping trip - 23 of us in total. Lots of fun, lots of food, lots of work. Hot and humid! Went on a trail ride on a horse that liked to step off the trail to rub her neck - and me - on tree branches. Today, I can hardly move! But it was fun. Donna, I sure wish I had your drive to exercise! A simple one-hour trail ride and I'm down for the count.

• Mihani
    The non-dairy yogurts have the live cultures. I like the So Delicious and Silk brands. I think you've mentioned you try to avoid too much soy and there are several that are coconut or almond milk based. Silk has an almond based dark chocolate coconut flavor that is yummy.

Donna, way to go running 2 miles straight! Glad to hear that Brooks is back on plan with you. Makes it easier I'm sure.

Sounds like a lot of fun Jacquie. I used to have horses when I was younger, and still miss them.
  • bisky
    I use to have horses too! I quit riding after surgeries and gaining weight. I was wondering the other day if I am too old to ride. I am still too heavy to ride more than my bike.

Jacquie - where did you go camping and horse back riding??? That sounds so fun. I love to camp.

Later this month I am hoping to take a paddle board lesson.

Floor installation begins today, plus taking ugly floor out. :#

I will try the non-dairy yogurts. Yes I was warned against soy after my surgery but I would love to see a functional med. dr. to talk about that now. I really don't think I produce much estrogen....it is silly but I am waiting until I lose 10 more lbs to go get my physical. I am going to request a consult to a nutritionist. The last one I saw was totally for ETL...almost 7 years ago when I tried the diet. I remember not giving up chicken and her saying chicken breast still has a lot of saturated fats and me being stubborn and not believing her.

Brooks did a triathlon this weekend in Indiana. I was suppose to go but was traveled out after Canada. He stayed with HS classmates. His best friend has lost a lot of weight and his wife told Brooks he needed to lose the "shelf"....he carries an extra 20 lbs there because everything else is lean.

Since I started all this cardio I am tightening up and gaining muscle but not losing much weight. I did better when I was walking for 60-90 minutes.

I miss Karrie & Carla. Summer is a busy time.

mjv2dzpxuxp6.jpg
    cmkvq2v2tex8.jpg