26 hour 20 min virtual relay run for Dennis

Options
Elise4270
Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
edited October 2018 in Social Groups
I'm attempting to get this ball rolling. I, personally would like to see this a 52 hour challenge. It is a challenge, right?

Option 1. Saturday Sunday October 14th Australia time to overlap with @orphia 's marathon, that i believe is also dedicated to Dennis.

GMT

I think, Australia is 14.5 hours ahead of us. So the US, oh that's friday... ok hard to run on a work day...Saturday but if Carols Marathon begins 7AM saturday Sunday, thats 5AM friday Saturday US central. (man this reeks of a High school math problem. I hope a train isn't involved).

If she covers the first few hours, that leaves maybe a 10/11AM US central through saturday Sunday 5AM central US to be covered... I think friday is a challenge for most US'ers. If there were enough participation to do 52 hours, it'd run through sundayMonday the 15th at 7AM. That particular friday is a travel day for me. So I'm out.

Option 2. US central hours referenced for shiggles
A) 24 hours. 0000 hours saturday morning through 0000 monday morning.
B ) 52 hours. start friday 8pm through midnight sunday.
C) 52 hours. start midnight friday/0000 Saturday, end 4AM Monday.

Now... where's that leave us? the date...

How about starting September off with the tribute to Dennis?
The first?
or the 8th? he did leave us on the 10th. that'd end a 52 hour challenge appropriately. We also could include an hour of no running. An hour of running silence for the one that no longer runs with us?

My vote is option 2C, for Sept the 8-10th. But i also like 2A september 1st

Balls rollin'. Someone pick it up. Additional Options?

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I'm in for any date, I'm 2hrs ahead of Orphia, so could actually start things off as it also works with the dateline... FNZ is the first country in the world to get light.

I could do 15k so 1.5hr run timed to finish at the beginning of Orphia marathon.

Assuming that doesn't steal Orphia thunder.
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I'm in for any date, I'm 2hrs ahead of Orphia, so could actually start things off as it also works with the dateline... FNZ is the first country in the world to get light.

I could do 15k so 1.5hr run timed to finish at the beginning of Orphia marathon.

There's also the possibility of getting as many of us as possible to run the SAME hour... I like that.

ETA the first and last hour, we should all run it.

• Elise4270
    Options
    @MobyCarp ahhh. Well. I goofed the date didnt i. I can edit it for correctness. 👍

I get a "D" on this assignment. 🚫 🎓
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    The best times for me to run are early mornings EST.... so whatever date you choose, I could start at 5 a.m. EST and go as late as 8 or even 8:30 a.m.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I'm at China Standard Time (UTC+8) which is 13(?) hours ahead of US central time. I could maybe cover some of the wee hours that most of you sleep through.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Good idea @avidkeo. I usually head out early on a Sunday morning too.

May be a good idea to have two or more people running to guarantee there’s always a runner in case fate intervenes!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »

There's also the possibility of getting as many of us as possible to run the SAME hour... I like that.

ETA the first and last hour, we should all run it.

I'd have to request that the 24 hours starts when I start my marathon. :wink: And that I don't have to run again.

(Since that'll take me nearly 5 hours, I don't think I can run either before or after that for a couple of days.)

I like the idea of the (first?) non-US marathon to be part of the 24 hour vigil. Nice one, Elise.

@noblsheep in China could take over from me after I've done the start.

@Avidkeo or @Contrary_MaryM in NZ could do the final hours (and others join in if they want), and before them, @HonuNui in Hawaii.

Need to find people in western Australia, Asia and Europe. We've got @polskagirl01 in Poland and @_nikkiwolf_ in Switzerland for a start.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I haven't read anything yet but I had an idea

What about a 26 h 20 m relay?

I don't know, just seemed fitting so throwing it out.
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I haven't read anything yet but I had an idea

What about a 26 h 20 m relay?

I don't know, just seemed fitting so throwing it out.

I like it.

Any suggestions on the date we'd like to shoot for? @Orphia would you like it to coincide with your marathon? Or do you prefer a different day? I have a quarter marathon that day and that includes 4-5 hours of travel. But i can likely make the first/last hour thing work.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'd have to request that the 24 hours starts when I start my marathon. :wink: And that I don't have to run again.

(Since that'll take me nearly 5 hours, I don't think I can run either before or after that for a couple of days.)

I like the idea of the (first?) non-US marathon to be part of the 24 hour vigil. Nice one, Elise.

@noblsheep in China could take over from me after I've done the start.
    @Avidkeo or @Contrary_MaryM in NZ could do the final hours (and others join in if they want), and before them, @HonuNui in Hawaii.

Need to find people in western Australia, Asia and Europe. We've got @polskagirl01 in Poland and @_nikkiwolf_ in Switzerland for a start.

@girlinahat is in the UK so we can elect probably persuade her to join in.
    Would be interesting if someone in the UK could run past the Royal Observatory in Greenwich.

I am in Alberta so I border MST and PST - I could drive over to the area - pickup the Virtual Baton from @sarahthes and run across the MST/PST TimeZone border in BC catching 2 for 1 and then handoff the Virtual Baton to someone who can carry it on. Limited Cell service in the area so would be a virtual handoff.
    It might be hard to accomplish continuous 24hrs - those darn big empty oceans get in the way - so 24 hrs over the virtual weekend.

NA Eastern Std Time = GMT+4
    NA Central Std Time = GMT+5
    NA Mountain Std Ti = GMT +6
    NA Pacific Std Time = GMT+7
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i like the 26.2 hours. i am na cst.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    If y'all let me know when I will figure out how :)
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    If y'all let me know when I will figure out how :)

Same here. I'm in the US - EST.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    I'm interested too. I'm in the US, CST.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @Orphia and everyone.

I am making the assumption that @Orphia 's marathon begins at 7am. l set up the sheet for 26 hours, 20 minutes.

I do need confirmation of the Australian start time. I'm assuming it's gmt +10?
  • Elise4270
    Options
    The spreadsheet is ready to be populated (with the exception of @orphia 's exact start time, but we have a 4-5 start hour window there). If you need a half hour start time, like for a race just add a line and split the time blocks.

Please remember to double check my time correlations.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @Orphia and everyone.

I am making the assumption that @Orphia 's marathon begins at 7am. l set up the sheet for 26 hours, 20 minutes.

7 am AEDT (GMT+11).

Daylight Saving will be in effect, so we're one hour forward than what you expected...

Hope you're not too confused, this stuff boggles me! I think you're doing such a brilliant job! Thank you so much!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I think I signed up for Sunday, October 14 at 6:00 am EST?????
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @Orphia and everyone.

7 am AEDT (GMT+11).

Daylight Saving will be in effect, so we're one hour forward than what you expected...

Hope you're not too confused, this stuff boggles me! I think you're doing such a brilliant job! Thank you so much!

That would explain why, when I changed the date the GMT changed. Never occurred to me that outside the USA daylight savings was a thing. I'll get it adjusted.