Salad is the Main Dish September

Options
13»

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,931 Member
    Options
    I didn't end up treadmilling yesterday but I did spend many hours cleaning up my home office. It was really piled up but looks wonderful now.

Didn't get time to cook yesterday but did it when I got home tonight. Made broccoli, asparagus, cheezy chickpeas, red chard sauteed with onion and garlic. Ate a little of everything for dinner and should be set for dinners another few days. I have been adding pumpkin seeds to my lunch salads and eating a few walnuts or fruit with chia seeds after dinner.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Safe travels, Donna! I'm sure your sister will really appreciate your help.

Mihani, let us know what you think of the new release from Hello Nutritarian. I find new things like that inspiring too.

I forgot to take a picture of last night's meal, a sweet potato & zucchini pisto with lemon herb quinoa & sour cream. Joe and I both really enjoyed it. I've made a clean food dirty girl sour cream in the past that had too much almond flavor, but this is an improved version and I like it quite a bit. Not totally sour cream tasting of course, but it gives that thick creamy texture and has a nice flavor. Yesterday was the first day in a long time that I've managed to have lots of greens with each of my meals.

Tonight's meal is Spanish beans & quinoa with roasted spaghetti squash and chimichurri sauce. Whenever the meal plan calls for spaghetti squash, I am reminded of how simple it is to roast and how nice it is to have ready in the fridge. I had it warmed up the other day on my salad and it was a nice addition. We're adding it to our list of things to grow in the garden next year.

• Mihani
    Options
    Hi Donna, looks like we posted the same time last night so I missed yours. It's really nice that you are able to help our your sister.

Meals sound really good Carla. I like spaghetti squash a lot, but for some reason I hardly ever buy it.

Still super busy with work, glad I had some things ready to go for dinner tonight.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Hey, there, I am happy to have found this group! I went vegan months ago. Recently I came across another of Joel Fuhrman's books (The End of Dieting), and have been inspired to tweak what I am eating (more raw veggies!). It's great to find more people out to eat this way!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hiya Austin... welcome to the group! I am currently doing another round of the 6 week plan, but we all sort of rotate on and off the strict plan to more the life plan (and sometimes free fall into SAD lol). I have been vegan for 6 years now, and vegetarian for many years before that. Now I'm working on being totally WFPB and removing all the junky vegan food from my life. :)o:)

Looking forward to hearing how you're making ETL work for you.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Hi!

This has been tough. Seems every meal is chicken of some sort. Eating a lot of salads and carbs but don't want to make a big to do about meals. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the car and shop for some beans, hummus and more veggies.

BIL has ups and downs. I get up very early in a.m. while night aid is here to get my walk/run in before she leaves. I am so not a morning person. I think my sister is shocked I get up so early. The plus side of this is seeing beautiful sunrises on the beach!

Welcome Austin. I hope you share some good recipes here! It has been almost a year since I joined this site and could not have done it without the support of people here.

Mihani when I go back to SA I will need to restart. I diet better in the Fall too.dddg6eugijdv.jpg
    rmkdxoekckor.jpg

• Mihani
    Options
    WOW Donna... beautiful pictures. I agree with you doesn't seem like the time to fuss about the menu given your circumstances. You aren't full vegan so at least you have some options. I really am happy that you are able to be there for your sister and help out. Must be so difficult for her.

I am making pizza tonight. Roasted red peppers, baby spinach, banana peppers, sliced black olives, oil-free pizza sauce, sprinkle of nooch, on whole wheat pita "crust". Nom Nom!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Heading to the office for a while today. I can't believe September is over already. This month flew by! I missed a few days here and there but for the most part I managed to make salad the main dish for at least one meal every day this month. I had a cheat on Friday, some skinny pop popcorn and a couple vegan cookies. I'll be honest, they didn't taste like anything to me. My tastes really have started to change lately, and the things that I used to enjoy for a "cheat" don't taste that good anymore. Anything with oil that's all I seem to taste is the oil.

I have found the fitbit sleep reports interesting, and I set a reasonably low goal of 5000 steps which I am meeting or exceeding most days just going about my normal day. I am going to bump the goal up to 7500 steps for the next couple weeks, then up to 10,000.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Hiya @Mihani ! I have been vegan for a while, and am now working on shifting into eating more raw foods -- more big salads full of healthy veggies. No flashy recipes here as of yet! :-)
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    CoffeeandHumblePie Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi all - just popping in to say hello. I’m in my last week of training and so looking forward to my regular routine. I’ve been limping along in the food department. Eating salads at lunch but supper is all over the map. I hope to be back here more regularly once I’m in a routine. Hope you are all well.
  • bisky
    Options
    we need an October 1 started.

Glad to hear orientation is almost over and you will be getting into a routine, Jacqueline.

Mihani - how was the pizza? xcjvrw3lykce.jpg
    I loved having a fitbit. It really inspired me. Now I have a Garmin that a friend gave me with a heart rate. Almost too much info.

• bisky
    Options
    October Vegetable Harvest?
    Pumpkin Spiced October?
    Outshine in October?
    Optimistic for October?

3 mile walk, 1 mile run this morning
  • bisky
    Options
    t4p1azckl00u.jpg
  • Mihani
    Options
    Pretty place Donna. I have been super busy with work the past week (more so than usual even) ... will start an October thread tomorrow if nobody beats me to it. I need to keep working tonight and no brain cells leftover! Staying the court on ETL 6 week plan though!