Starting Lego - ideas and direction?

Options
jelleigh
jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
Hello Keto friends!

So ive been researching Keto a lot and want to try it for a few months and see how it goes. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you experts could help me with.

Obviously the goal is to stay in Ketosis as much as possible. Once you've entered Ketosis, would breaking the 5% carbs one day a week throw you totally off? I heard it can take a few days to get back into Ketosis (although I read an article about how to do it in 24 hours which I'm going to give a go). If thats the case, anytime you 'cheat' it would take you 3-5 days to get back 'into mode' is that right? Or what threshold will break it or ia that different for each person?

I ask because I'm going on vacation starting next Thursday abd while I'm going to try to stay low carb, there will Definately be some non keto stuff. I'm wondering if in better to wait till I get back to start instead of being all over the place carb wise? Or should I just get started now and the slightly elevated carbs wont totally stall or undo my progress?

Also how reliable are the Keto testing strips? Can I use those to monitor the best macro breakdown for me? And if so, how many consecutive days of eating a specific way is needed to see the results? (I guess this is still 'how much does it take to take you out of ketosis) .

I would welcome any tips and tricks you might have!

Thanks!

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Keto has a lot of benefits but as you are quickly seeing information is all over the place on this style of eating.

I'd say go and have your fun on vacation and start after you get back as staying in Ketosis takes discipline.

As far as the 5% carb number it really depends on how your body reacts. I found the Keto blood strips very useful in learning what my limits were in the beginning. That first few weeks really is about reprogramming the body so I wouldn't deviate to much from what you can handle to stay in Ketosis.

After about 7 weeks I became fat adapted and I stopped spending money on the blood strips as it isn't needed. Save your money when it comes to the urine strip versions as they aren't worth it.

The ultimate goal is to become fat adapted meaning your body uses fat as your primary fuel source. Once that happens deviations with higher carbs etc won't blow up your entire plan. For instance, I'm all the way up to around 50 net carbs a day at this point without issue. Think of it as going from regular gas (sugar) to premium gas (fat) although the regular gas works just fine part of the time.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I love what autocorrect did to "keto". LOL

I think going in and out of ketosis gets easier when you've become fat adapted - about 2 or so months in. The body starts to prefer fats at that point so going back to it seems to go faster... not that it's all that hard if you don't wait.

I had a couple of days of higher carbs. I noticed was I was extremely thirsty within 24 hours and I started retaining a couple of pounds of water. Then I need more salt again once I've been low carb for a day to replace the lost electrolytes. I also was much sleepier and less energetic, but that could just be me.

On vacation, I would aim to stay low carb or keto but allow for higher carb as wanted. Within reason. Same goes for your caloric goal. Allow for some splurges but not enough that you'll have a big setback or have a hard time when you get home.

Blood ketone test strips are the most reliable but expensive. Ketostix urine strips will tell you if you are excreting excess ketones but they are affected by hydration and seem to show lower ketones in some people once they are fat adapted.

If you keep carbs under 20-30g a day (total) you will be ketogenic within a couple of days. Guaranteed with no real need to test. Some can go with 50g or more and be ketogenic, especially if they are active and time carbs around exercise.

Conversely, if you eat a high carb meal, you could be out of ketosis within the hour as the body works to keep BG steady. If you go right back to very low carb, you could be back in ketosis within the day.... It really varies between people.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm a 4+ year maintainer who has come to the conclusion that while a little off plan food happens when on vacation, vacations are not a reason to go crazy on carbohydrates or calories.

Today is always a great day to start eating with health and weight loss in mind. It doesn't have to be keto.

I lost my excess 60 by cutting back on calories and carbohydrates (non-keto). Along the way I developed habits that have enabled me to maintain. What it basically boils down to for me is I will never, ever, ever be able to eat all the things the majority of the time in the amounts that I desire if I expect to maintain my weight/fat loss. Lower carb than during weight loss has provided me with improved satiety thus easier adherence to calories.

My opinion is to start today with an intentional deficit and keep your carbs low. Worry about keto when you get back.
  • jelleigh
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the insight!

And ya - I totally missed the autocorrect on the title. Lol. Sorry.

One other question on approach- does everyone just meal plan and calculate carbs for the day, or do you break it down to 5 g per meal with 5 extra for wiggle room ? I've never tracked a specific macro before (other than trying to hit a protein goal but it was a bit vague).

What are the thoughts on bulletproof coffee? Any specific benefits ? Typically I do a bit of IF and not eat tille lunch, but I was thinking that on my workout mornings (weightlifting) I would do a bulletproof coffee before my workout. Or would it be better to have it post workout with some protein powder? I guess I'm not sure how I will feel on a high fat diet in relation to energy for workouts.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the insight!

And ya - I totally missed the autocorrect on the title. Lol. Sorry.

One other question on approach- does everyone just meal plan and calculate carbs for the day, or do you break it down to 5 g per meal with 5 extra for wiggle room ? I've never tracked a specific macro before (other than trying to hit a protein goal but it was a bit vague).

What are the thoughts on bulletproof coffee? Any specific benefits ? Typically I do a bit of IF and not eat tille lunch, but I was thinking that on my workout mornings (weightlifting) I would do a bulletproof coffee before my workout. Or would it be better to have it post workout with some protein powder? I guess I'm not sure how I will feel on a high fat diet in relation to energy for workouts.

Carb intake per meal varies a lot. Some do 10-15g per meal or more. Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution goes for 6-6-12. Breakfast is usually lowest for me. I just try not to go to high at any given meal. Dinner is often highest for me.

Bulletproof coffee is a tasty treat, IMO. I tend not to do "real" BPC because of the super high calories. I do like 1/2 tsp of coconut oil in coffee, but I typically use a bit of cream instead, juts because it's easier. I usually add a quarter scoop of protein powder too because I don't really eat until the afternoon and I find it difficult to hit my protein goals.

As to energy for workouts, you may notice a slight dip for a few weeks to months while you get fat adapted. It passes.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,700 Member
    Options
    I stay in keto with net <50 carbs - barely, but there. Also, not terribly high-fat, but do keep protein over 60g/daily. Appetite under control, so eating less, and losing about a pound per week.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I haven't done bulletproof coffee but use a little MCT oil in mine. I try to stay at <50g carbs because I like my wine in the evening. With carb limitation I think of it this way, breakfast is easy almost zero, lunch is limited and dinner I eat more veggies so I get most carbs then. I don't log or count and never used test strips. After about two weeks I could taste that I was in ketosis. I would not start strict keto right before vacation but would start easing into it by limiting breads and sweets as much as possible. Enjoy and check in when you get back.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @rsclause - how did you taste you were in Ketosis?
  • jelleigh
    Options
    zanyterp wrote: »

Same question from me. How?
  • jelleigh
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. Right now I dont tend to eat breada or pasta - my hubby cant eat wheat so we have rice occasionally. The biggest adjustment will be the potatoes - we eat a lot of them. Also I'm surprised at how many carbs are in veggies. I just mocked up a zuchinni noodle lasagna in MFP that is supposedly keto but its 12 g carbs for a slice and that sounds high to me. Especially since we will want to eat a side salad with it.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Remember to take out the fiber to get to the net carbs. It may be significantly lower per serving. 12g sounds somewhat high for a zucchini based recipe.

There are a lot of keto friendly veggies out there. Look for ones packed with fiber.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options

I get this very pronounced acetone taste in my mouth.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    Hello Keto friends!

So ive been researching Keto a lot and want to try it for a few months and see how it goes. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you experts could help me with.

Obviously the goal is to stay in Ketosis as much as possible. Once you've entered Ketosis, would breaking the 5% carbs one day a week throw you totally off? I heard it can take a few days to get back into Ketosis (although I read an article about how to do it in 24 hours which I'm going to give a go). If thats the case, anytime you 'cheat' it would take you 3-5 days to get back 'into mode' is that right? Or what threshold will break it or ia that different for each person?

I ask because I'm going on vacation starting next Thursday abd while I'm going to try to stay low carb, there will Definately be some non keto stuff. I'm wondering if in better to wait till I get back to start instead of being all over the place carb wise? Or should I just get started now and the slightly elevated carbs wont totally stall or undo my progress?

Also how reliable are the Keto testing strips? Can I use those to monitor the best macro breakdown for me? And if so, how many consecutive days of eating a specific way is needed to see the results? (I guess this is still 'how much does it take to take you out of ketosis) .

I would welcome any tips and tricks you might have!

Thanks!

I have been under 20 carbs a day net since October of 2016. I may have had a couple of days at 30, but I am usually closer to 10. I have never checked keto sticks or anything. I am confident I am in ketosis due to the low carb levels.

You might find it easier to stay keto on vacation than you think. I manage to do it ok.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,700 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

@zanyterp @jelleigh To me it's a very distinct oddly-sweet fruity taste. Here's an article about it:

https://www.verywellfit.com/is-your-low-carb-diet-giving-you-bad-breath-2242075

• zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thank you, @rsclause & @PaulaKro
    I think I may have hit that point on mouth taste.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I get a rank taste in my mouth. It is horrible and in fact I have it right now lol.
  • CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I get a rank taste in my mouth. It is horrible and in fact I have it right now lol.

Yesterday morning I kissed my husband, and he was like "babe, be sure to brush your teeth a bit extra today." I already had (though I could feel my breath wasn't great, even after)!!! I find it's worse when I don't hydrate enough the day prior, so I was sure to drink extra water/tea. Having a big glass of water at bedtime helps too, as well as a rinse.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Also, if you don’t get that taste or breath issue that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re not in ketosis. Not everyone gets it. I’ve never had “keto breath” or the weird taste.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,609 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Also, if you don’t get that taste or breath issue that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re not in ketosis. Not everyone gets it. I’ve never had “keto breath” or the weird taste.

Neither my wife nor I have ever had the taste or the breath issues.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

Neither my wife nor I have ever had the taste or the breath issues.

I don't get the breath either, but i definitely get stinky pee and BO... feel sorry for the other peeps at the gym :smiley: