This November I Will...

Options

Replies

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @themedalist, thank you for welcoming me back to the challenges, and the encouraging words about my goal of drinking water in the morning and linking it to exercise also. Yesterday morning when I changed my plans and decided that I needed to rest from my regular exercise and to use the walking during errands/ grocery shopping for a light exercise I still drank water first thing in the morning. Linking the two activities, even just thinking about the second one, still reminded me to do the first, and I drank the water. Wow! This is powerful stuff! I am encouraged for sure!

@M310, you asked "has anyone read the Mitford series by Jan Karon?"...

I listened to the audio books of the whole series from my library. I absolutely loved them. The very last book was so sweet with a satisfying end to the series. Although I wish they would've gone on forever <3 . I loved Father Tim's wisdom. A very uplifting and sweet series, but really a lot of fun at the same time :) .

@nebslp, Yep, the post is gone forever if you leave the page :s . I've been there and definitely have done that also. To help me not get caught again that way I often open a second tab in the thread and read the posts in the original tab, and reply on the second tab so I don't accidentally leave the page. And if you preview the post you are writing and get distracted and forget to click "post reply" it is also gone forever :s .

It is wonderful that you are doing well with your "down and up and 5 minutes of floor exercises". Even when you didn't really want to do it! Awesomeness!!

I am doing well so far with drinking water first thing in the morning. I sip it so that it takes a little while to finish about 20 ounces. I have remembered to prepare the water for the next morning as well. Thank you for asking :) .

@PinkyPan1, That was a great idea to pick up some books at the Goodwill. I love Goodwill as a source for books as well as a place that I also donate books to.

Speaking of donating... yay for another Declutterfest coming up.

You are doing really well reading every night before bed! A book by Erma Bombeck would be so delightful to read before sleeping!

@77tes, Doing great persevering through the essays! Love seeing all of those stars :star: .

@prgirl39mfp, yes! change your goal to doing some yard work instead of any "regular kind" of exercise! Yard work is most definitely exercise :flowerforyou: . I am proud of you for being out there in the yard.

We got more rain so I have to wait for it to dry up before I get out there again. Can't complain, even if rainy days give me headaches, because we often don't get enough rain as it is. My sweet hubby :kissing_heart: surprised me by bringing home pansies since I've been making progress cleaning up the garden. He helped by cleaning up the side of the house area and then planted some of the pansies in the boxes in the front of the house before the rain. I'm looking forward to planting the rest of them in the back fence garden next week and doing more yard/garden work as well :sweat_smile: .

@PackerFanInGB, What a wonderful and well thought out plan that you have to drink more water!

@gojolida, Yay for you that you are "back on the water train and back on [your] healthy goals" . Excellent!!

@MessyApron, I really like your quotation: "Don't expect to be motivated every day to get out there and make things happen. You won’t be. Don’t count on motivation. Count on Discipline.” – Jocko Willink . It is very inspirational. Thank you for posting it.

Onward with our November goals while enjoying our weekend :p

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I’m so proud of us! I’m proud of us for setting a goal, laying out a plan, and then making that goal a reality. It’s our ACTIONS that result in better health and wellness, and I couldn’t be more impressed with the actions our group is taking. And even when the goal needs some editing, as @prgirl39mfp experienced, there is still a way to move forward. Yard work is great exercise!

And I love how supportive and encouraging everyone is!

Regarding disappearing posts, one thing I do if I know my post will be long is to write it first in Notes or a word processor (or better yet use talk to text) and then copy and paste.

@texasgardnr, no words for how happy I am to have you rejoin our group! I’m glad your husband brought you pansies and that you got some rain. Such a pretty flower! And yes, Fall Declutterfest starts in 2 days! Just in time for Thanksgiving, for those of us in the US.
  • themedalist
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Guess what I found when I went grocery shopping yesterday?

4w467w5zka1d.jpeg

Yup, local salad greens grown hydroponically right here in New Hampshire without pesticides. And competitively priced! I couldn’t be more excited! I love buying local produce, but that’s hard to do living in a cold climate state. They had so many varieties and now my salads will have extra zing!

Doing well with both my AM and PM habits. The 50% caffeine reduction has had no downside (I’m still awake!) but I do feel less jittery. And I’ve had a dinner salad 7 out of 9 days so far this month.

Enjoy your weekend!

• themedalist
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I just did my morning Calm meditation and today’s Daily Calm was about building good habits, especially mental habits. Our thought processes are just habits and just like our physical habits, our mental habits can be changed with time and practice. If you are a Calm subscriber, check out today’s Daily Calm. This is a great quote:

n5l6qunav75h.jpeg
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    @themedalist I absolutely ❤️love❤️ the Calm quote!! It’s catchy so maybe I’ll be able to remember it.

Confession time...I cut up my veggies all pretty in a bowl but haven’t touched them😕 and I missed my down and up yesterday because I didn’t want to do it!!! My goal is to get down and up and fear of pain or injury has been the deterrent. I’ve been using the stairs to help me and have enjoyed the floor exercises but that’s not my goal. I walk and hike alone and need to be able to get up by myself from the ground if I fall. The pads shipped yesterday so they should be here soon🤞
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,802 Member
    Options
    Well, I've finished my back-log of essays. o:) It feels wonderful to be caught up with all my grading, so I am free until Tuesday when a new set of essays is turned in. However, I have been practicing clicking the essay button first when I log into Canvas even when I don't have any essays to grade, so I'll be ready for the next set.

@themedalist ,I love that you've found local salad greens. There is a hydroponic lettuce vendor at the farmer's market I visit, and it is nice that I can depend on those even if the weather has been rough on the lettuce crop.

@nebslp, I never thought about getting up after falling when hiking alone - that is truly important.
  • M310
    M310 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Special thanks to @themedalist, @texasgardnr , @nebslp , and @prgirl39mfp and everyone for the support. You make me excited to be part of the group and I have been enjoying reading about everyone's goals. Because everyone is so positive, it makes more seem possible!

I'm excited because I started pre-planning my menus this week and it has made a huge difference for me staying on track with nutrition. I have a mini goal to post my progress next week keeping this up. :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    MessyApron wrote: »
    @prgirl39mfp
    On my days off from work all I want to do is be in bed. I have no motivation, and that always happens this time of year but I don not rely on it to do the work, I am just not making the decision to do it.

I got inspired by a quote earlier this week that talks about that should-but-I-don't-wanna limbo. Here it is, I hope it fires you up like it did for me!

"Don't expect to be motivated every day to get out there and make things happen. You won’t be. Don’t count on motivation. Count on Discipline.” – Jocko Willink

That's a great quote, @MessyApron. It is discipline that's needed and discipline can be the foundation for a new habit. If every morning you start the day with some exercise, drink more water, do your daily floor exercises, get those essays graded, tend to the yard, and do some reading just before bed, over time those habits and routines don't need motivation in order to happen. They are just something that you do and a reflection of who you are.

@themedalist Exactly❣️❣️❣️
    I LOVE the last line especially ♥️
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @themedalist I absolutely ❤️love❤️ the Calm quote!! It’s catchy so maybe I’ll be able to remember it.

Confession time...I cut up my veggies all pretty in a bowl but haven’t touched them😕 and I missed my down and up yesterday because I didn’t want to do it!!! My goal is to get down and up and fear of pain or injury has been the deterrent. I’ve been using the stairs to help me and have enjoyed the floor exercises but that’s not my goal. I walk and hike alone and need to be able to get up by myself from the ground if I fall. The pads shipped yesterday so they should be here soon🤞

Hi @nebslp !
    I feel on September 23 instantly sleeping on some pebbles on top of a hard packed dirt slope (mountain bike path)...

Luckily my husband was with me my legs are finding one of my arms was. This experience really got me thinking about whether I should be hiking by myself, which I also do sometimes. I think my rule is going to be if I’m walking on asphalt I can go and self I’m working on dirt trails I need to go with a friend or my husband. And I do think that the social interaction will be good for me!

I also decided that I’m not gonna hike in areas that don’t have cell phone coverage.

But the real reason I’m writing to you because I’m wondering if there’s someway you can make it so you practice the down and up not from the ground, but maybe from something 2” off the ground and then maybe a few days later a week start with something 1.5” off the ground and then a foot off the ground and kind of gradually move down to the ground —- give your body time to adjust and make it less of a big first step. It might also help you see what is pain free!!

I’m a huge believer in gradual changes - I call tricking my brain!
  • themedalist
    Options

Thanks for the insight, @nebslp, that the floor exercises are intended to help you get up off the ground should you fall while hiking. That makes a lot of sense. I like @MadisonMolly2017 ‘s suggestion to ease into the floor, gradually lowering the distance. I have another suggestion, which you might already be doing. Do you use a walking/hiking pole? I always use mine when I’m walking in my woods and many times it’s saved me from falling. And once, I did fall and my sturdy pole enabled me to get up again! By pole, I don’t mean a relatively flimsy walking pole that folks are using to boost calories from walking. I mean a good sturdy walking stick. I got mine as a Mother’s Day gift from Eastern Mountain Sports. Best gift ever!
  • themedalist
    Options
    M310 wrote: »
    Special thanks to @themedalist, @texasgardnr , @nebslp , and @prgirl39mfp and everyone for the support. You make me excited to be part of the group and I have been enjoying reading about everyone's goals. Because everyone is so positive, it makes more seem possible!

I'm excited because I started pre-planning my menus this week and it has made a huge difference for me staying on track with nutrition. I have a mini goal to post my progress next week keeping this up. :)

This is great to hear, @M310! We are very happy you’ve joined us! And pre-planning your menus is so helpful to staying on track!
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Well, I've finished my back-log of essays. o:) It feels wonderful to be caught up with all my grading, so I am free until Tuesday when a new set of essays is turned in. However, I have been practicing clicking the essay button first when I log into Canvas even when I don't have any essays to grade, so I'll be ready for the next set.

@themedalist ,I love that you've found local salad greens. There is a hydroponic lettuce vendor at the farmer's market I visit, and it is nice that I can depend on those even if the weather has been rough on the lettuce crop.

@nebslp, I never thought about getting up after falling when hiking alone - that is truly important.

Congrats on clearing up the essay back-log, @77tes. I got a chuckle out of the essay button clicking practice. But that’s how to make it a habit!
  • themedalist
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017, you’ve got a great plan for November. And while it looks like at first glance, “How are you going to do all of this?” only two, the no sugar and no starches after 5pm goals, are new. The others are a continuation of your earlier goals and habits. And all built on small sustainable steps! That’s fabulous! Go you!
  • MessyApron
    MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hello friends!

I'm checking in on my goal, and I am so far 7/7!

Saturday morning was the most difficult day for to stick with, for sure. I got woken up in the middle of a REM cycle the night and that threw off the timing for my remaining sleep cycles, meaning I was as groggy as grandpa's eggnog recipe when that alarm went off. Immediately my limbic system started kicking up a fuss and coming up with bs reasons why I should stay in bed and that it was totally fine for me to skip today. I had to dig deep and remember to rely on discipline to get up and get moving.

Some of you may remember that the carrot and stick that I set up for myself is that I can only have my cold brew iced coffee in the morning if I get up without hitting snooze and put in some movement. Something that I have found though, is that I don't seem to really need the coffee with the same fierce intensity when I time my sleep cycles right and have a workout first thing. It's a pleasant surprise; I find myself able to enjoy a relaxing cup of tea later on in the day instead of jonesing for another hit of java.

All in all, I'm pleased with my progress.

@themedalist It sounds like you have a lot of goals you're working on all at once. Hope so you keep that from getting overwhelming?

@nebslp I just listened to a podcast where a physical therapist was talking about the pain of injury and going back to training. It might have something in there that can help you. Here's the link, if you're interested: https://anchor.fm/duck-legs/episodes/Biggest-Mistake-Injured-Athletes-Make-with-Dr--Quinn-Henoch-of-Clinical-Athlete-euk8c

@77tes It always feels good to be finished with an onerous task. Enjoy your freedom.

@M310 Well done planning out your meals! I always feel like having a planning and preparation are half the battle.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017, you’ve got a great plan for November. And while it looks like at first glance, “How are you going to do all of this?” only two, the no sugar and no starches after 5pm goals, are new. The others are a continuation of your earlier goals and habits. And all built on small sustainable steps! That’s fabulous! Go you!

@themedalist Thank you! Hadn’t counted on disruption in ability to exercise. Will do the best I can & frog back to walking when it is safe!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I'm adding some movement to my challenge of drinking more water. I want to stay accountable, so I'm posting here.

November Goal: 64+ oz of water and 5 "somethings" each time I go to the ladies room
    What does this look like? Red cup at home and blue cup at work to remind me to drink water. No afternoon cup of coffee if I don't get the 64 oz of water in. 5 "somethings: when I go to ladies room, I will do five somethings--those can be 5 squats, 5 wall push-ups, 5 arm circles, etc.
    Triggers: my colorful cups and the subsequent trips to the restroom!
    Reward: I will pat myself on the back with words each time I am successful with a "you go, girl!" or "Nice!"
    End of month: I hope at the end of the month to feel more energetic and my muscles to feel a bit stronger which would totally rock!!!!

Thanks!

Starting this one fresh today...so today will be my Day 1.

Looks like everyone is doing a great job on here! Keep it up!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MessyApron hi! Thanks for the podcast tip. I am always looking for new ones. I listened to the one you mentioned and I think it dealt more with training after recent injuries and it had good info on that. My problem is caused by surgery I had over 10 years ago that caused nerve damage which results in pain from pressure. Even pushing on my knees when I'm sitting feels weird and there's some pain. My knees are less numb than they used to be, and there's less pain, too. But bumping them sends me through the roof. Nothing major, just annoying, and I'm trying to figure out how to work around the pain of kneeling. I also have some concern about breaking the replaced patella, so the struggle is real!!! I generally never talk about it because it's definitely something I can live with. Thanks again. I'm always open for new ideas:)
  • nebslp
    Options

Thanks for the insight, @nebslp, that the floor exercises are intended to help you get up off the ground should you fall while hiking. That makes a lot of sense. I like @MadisonMolly2017 ‘s suggestion to ease into the floor, gradually lowering the distance. I have another suggestion, which you might already be doing. Do you use a walking/hiking pole? I always use mine when I’m walking in my woods and many times it’s saved me from falling. And once, I did fall and my sturdy pole enabled me to get up again! By pole, I don’t mean a relatively flimsy walking pole that folks are using to boost calories from walking. I mean a good sturdy walking stick. I got mine as a Mother’s Day gift from Eastern Mountain Sports. Best gift ever!

@themedalist and @MadisonMolly2017 Thanks for the suggestions in helping me deal with my November goal. I have started using the step that leads from the front entrance to the living room and it's a good height...about 5-6 inches. I feel like I'm not "cheating" my goal as much as when I use the upstairs landing steps to get back up. And absolutely I bring my cell phone on my walks, especially since I got scared one time thinking I was lost less than a mile from home (long story, lots of trees, no phone...). My daughter gave me awesome trekking poles that I've used for about 8 years when I go trekking through waist high grass and over rough fields and through reedy sloughs (my favorite places to explore). I would NEVER go without my poles except when I'm walking on the main road. They've held me up many times and I think they would be a life-saver if I ever fell down.

I'm not ready to give up my solitude and take anyone with me on my ventures. Those nature walks have a spiritual component that I wouldn't experience if I was talking to someone or even just walking with them. So I'll just take my chances...and my phone!

Thanks for the encouragement!

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options

@themedalist and @MadisonMolly2017 Thanks for the suggestions in helping me deal with my November goal. I have started using the step that leads from the front entrance to the living room and it's a good height...about 5-6 inches. I feel like I'm not "cheating" my goal as much as when I use the upstairs landing steps to get back up. And absolutely I bring my cell phone on my walks, especially since I got scared one time thinking I was lost less than a mile from home (long story, lots of trees, no phone...). My daughter gave me awesome trekking poles that I've used for about 8 years when I go trekking through waist high grass and over rough fields and through reedy sloughs (my favorite places to explore). I would NEVER go without my poles except when I'm walking on the main road. They've held me up many times and I think they would be a life-saver if I ever fell down.

I'm not ready to give up my solitude and take anyone with me on my ventures. Those nature walks have a spiritual component that I wouldn't experience if I was talking to someone or even just walking with them. So I'll just take my chances...and my phone!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Sounds like a great plan @nebslp & I totally agree that solo nature explorations are quite different than with others. I notice so much more of nature when I am alone! Sounds like you have it all figured out! Walking 🚶‍♀️