This November I Will...

Options

Replies

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Hi everyone! Looks like you've all come up with some good individualized goals. One thing I love about this group is the diversity!

I started my down and up goal and have been successful for 3 days now. My phobia about getting on my knees started because my knees hurt when I kneel and my ortho surgeon told me not to (like 10 years ago). So yesterday I did some research and found one study that said about 30% of people with knee replacements have pain when kneeling and apparently I'm one of that group. I was worried, too, about damaging the prosthesis but read that that isn't a concern (I hope they're right!). But I won't lie and say I look forward to it. Even though it's been difficult and painful, I decided to come up with a solution for my problem because I love the floor work that I've been doing. After yesterday's struggle I went immediately to the internet and found some medically designed knee pads specifically for knee replacement recipients. And within minutes I had them ordered. They should be here next week.

My inspiration to overcome this obstacle comes from watching athletes on American Ninja Warrior, the Olympics and YouTube videos of really "old" people doing things that most young people can't. Many of them have overcome disabilities or injuries that would have most people saying "I can't do X ..." and then come up with a reasonable excuse. I have a dear friend, Jen, who said "no excuses!!!" so many times, I think it's finally sunk in. I may not be able to accomplish this goal, but if I don't try, I for sure won't accomplish it and always wonder if I could have if I would have tried.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your goals and your support, and I'm looking forward to hearing about y'all's progress!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,793 Member
    Options
    @nebslp, your dedication to succeeding at your goal is impressive. The woman who teaches the yoga videos I to always says to pad up your knees if they are sensitive. She recommends a blanket or towel under the knees, but I but knee pads would work well, too.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Looks like you've all come up with some good individualized goals. One thing I love about this group is the diversity!

I started my down and up goal and have been successful for 3 days now. My phobia about getting on my knees started because my knees hurt when I kneel and my ortho surgeon told me not to (like 10 years ago). So yesterday I did some research and found one study that said about 30% of people with knee replacements have pain when kneeling and apparently I'm one of that group. I was worried, too, about damaging the prosthesis but read that that isn't a concern (I hope they're right!). But I won't lie and say I look forward to it. Even though it's been difficult and painful, I decided to come up with a solution for my problem because I love the floor work that I've been doing. After yesterday's struggle I went immediately to the internet and found some medically designed knee pads specifically for knee replacement recipients. And within minutes I had them ordered. They should be here next week.

My inspiration to overcome this obstacle comes from watching athletes on American Ninja Warrior, the Olympics and YouTube videos of really "old" people doing things that most young people can't. Many of them have overcome disabilities or injuries that would have most people saying "I can't do X ..." and then come up with a reasonable excuse. I have a dear friend, Jen, who said "no excuses!!!" so many times, I think it's finally sunk in. I may not be able to accomplish this goal, but if I don't try, I for sure won't accomplish it and always wonder if I could have if I would have tried.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your goals and your support, and I'm looking forward to hearing about y'all's progress!

Oh, how I LOVE this! “You can have excuses or you can have results, but you can’t have both” is so true. @nebslp, I am so proud of you for taking on this particular goal. Not only will floor exercises benefit your health, but staring fear in the face with a resounding “Get out of my way!!!” is so liberating and frees you up to tackle anything else on your want to do list. I think your medically designed knee pads sound like a great idea!

Go you! ❤️
  • themedalist
    Options
    TKlepac wrote: »
    I am trying to make every day special. To log my calories diligently and be under my calorie goal. To be more active during the day, and be mindful of getting the rest I need. I don't drink sugary drinks and don't have coffee after 8:30 a.m. most days. My AM habit is to roll out of bed, have a cup of coffee, have my oatmeal and banana and the supplements -- fish oil, glucosamine chondroitin and B12. Working on lowering my blood pressure through drinking herbal teas and exercise.

@TKlepac, short bouts of walking, especially brisk walking, might also be useful in controlling your blood pressure. It’s a strategy I use and it’s worked for me!

0c84qoewoxe2.jpeg

• themedalist
    Options
    Day 4 and my new baby habits are toddlers! I’ve had a salad every night (thanks for the dressing recommendations!) and I’ve had my 50/50 coffee every morning. I’ve still been waking up just fine and enjoying my coffee just as much so all is good! My daughter mentioned yesterday that she felt like she needed 2 cups of coffee yesterday morning and I reminded her of the switch. Sadly, she left for Colorado yesterday, her new home, so she won’t be impacted by my coffee mix anymore. :(

We had a great afternoon yesterday at her cousin’s bridal shower. It was held at a tea house, with cookies and sandwiches, and it was so much fun! I think there were maybe 20-30 teas that were served? I tried as many as I could: blackberry maple, white grape, apple, orange creamsicle, and others that I can’t remember the names of. I love tea and it opened my eyes as to how many teas I’ve never tried. I’m going to look for an online tea sampling service (anyone know of such a thing?) and subscribe. I always try to think of a few “winter coping strategies” since New England winters are long and snowy, and this is something I think I’d enjoy. If you have websites to suggest, I’m all ears!
  • themedalist
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I wanted to give a shout out to @MmamaBearR, @birgitwebster, @swimMighty, @Cafelelia, @PackerFanInGB, @clynns54, and @debk0718 who participated in our October challenge and made great strides and progress. If you have a November goal in mind that needs to get checked off the to-do list, we are here for you!

And to @Heidijens123, @MadisonMolly2017, and @mikaila96 who also participated in our October challenge but are grappling with injuries and post-op recoveries, I hope you are feeling better and that each day is a little better for you!
  • themedalist
    Options
    By the way, @SwimMighty, I’ve included a GLAD reflection (what am I grateful for, what did I learn today, what did I accomplish today, what delighted me today) every evening as part of my bedtime yoga ever since you suggested it! Thanks so much! It’s a wonderfully positive way to close the day!
  • themedalist
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I am reading James Clear’s book, Atomic Habits. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to understand habits better. It’s full of great anecdotes to illustrate the points he’s making. Even for veteran readers of his blog and I know quite a few of us are, there is a decent amount of new material.

The chapter I read yesterday explored how are our habits are shaped by those in close proximity to us, by the groups and communities of which we are part, and by those we look up to and want to emulate. The section about groups and communities had this passage and it made me think of our habits group:

“Nothing sustains motivation better than belonging to the tribe. It transforms a personal quest into a shared one. Previously, you were on your own. Your identity was singular. You are a reader. You are a musician. You are an athlete. When you join a book club or a band or a cycling group, your identity becomes linked to those around you. Growth and change is no longer an individual pursuit. We are readers. We are musicians. We are cyclists. The shared identity begins to reinforce your personal identity. This is why remaining part of a group after achieving a goal is crucial to maintaining your habits. It’s friendship and community that embed a new identity and help behaviors last over the long run.”
    So even though we are pursuing different goals, our shared focus on using habits to achieve our goals and the wonderfully supportive nature of this group makes it more likely we will accomplish what we set out to do. Yay for us!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @themedalist The words in the passage you shared are so true. I definitely have an image of who I am, and that is often not who I want to be. But identity can be changed. It starts with deciding not who you are, but who you want to become and then working to achieve that. I’m so grateful for the awesome tribe I belong to in MFP. ❤️
  • 77tes
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @themedalist , just like @nebslp said, finding MFP has been like finding my tribe! This group is an important part of that tribe. The people I know in real life were pretty tired of hearing about my dieting attempts before I found a tribe that was working on the same thing - first at Curves, and later on MFP. What a difference!

@themedalist , my daughters are tea fiends, so I'll check with them about tea sampling options. That sounds like a cheerful project for the winter, especially if you are cutting back on caffeine.
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »

These are great, @77tes. I will check them out. Now I just have to avoid a cookie sampling subscription service. :)

And thanks for the easy dressing suggestion. That sounds great!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    I wanted to give a shout out to @MmamaBearR, @birgitwebster, @swimMighty, @Cafelelia, @PackerFanInGB, @clynns54, and @debk0718 who participated in our October challenge and made great strides and progress. If you have a November goal in mind that needs to get checked off the to-do list, we are here for you!

And to @Heidijens123, @MadisonMolly2017, and @mikaila96 who also participated in our October challenge but are grappling with injuries and post-op recoveries, I hope you are feeling better and that each day is a little better for you!

Thank you @themedalist ❤️
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! Really helpful @77tes
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    So far I have not been exercising. I have been so tired that I have done is nap, sleep, rest. Once I am up I do move around. Today I worked on my yard 2 hrs and now I have no energy to do anything else. Will not give up!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @prgirl39mfp I’m sure starting your job has worn you out in many ways (mentally, physically, and emotionally) and it will take some time for your body to adjust. You’ll get there! Like you said, you will not give up😍
  • 77tes
    Options
    So far I have not been exercising. I have been so tired that I have done is nap, sleep, rest. Once I am up I do move around. Today I worked on my yard 2 hrs and now I have no energy to do anything else. Will not give up!

Although not formal exercise, yard work is certainly active. So I'd give myself a break if I were you, @prgirl39mfp .
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    1. This November I will begin to drink water first thing every morning
    2. Small actions: Refill morning water bottle for tomorrow when I finished it today
    3. The trigger or cue: Have a water bottle near where I put my night guard in the morning
    4. How often? Every morning
    5. Immediate reward? As I'm sipping on the water I'll get ready to exercise, linking both activities together. Having a focused start to my day will make me feel good, and help me not become distracted with something or another... and an hour later realize that I haven't started to exercise yet. Yikes :p lol
    6. What help do you need from us? Being involved in this group again will definitely be encouraging, and fun.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of November? I'm hoping it makes my mornings flow easier having something to remind me it is time to actually start my day as planned :laugh:.
    Perhaps I will also feel better by drinking water earlier in my day.

I really like the idea of having an individual monthly goal to concentrate on for a longer time, even though I really did like the weekly challenges. This will also give it time to help our personal goals stick. I look forward to learning from each other. Already there are a lot of awesome goals and thoughts posted.

Such a great start to November! I am grateful to be here again <3 .

Hugs,
    texasgardnr :flowerforyou:
  • themedalist
    Options
    1. This November I will begin to drink water first thing every morning
    2. Small actions: Refill morning water bottle for tomorrow when I finished it today
    3. The trigger or cue: Have a water bottle near where I put my night guard in the morning
    4. How often? Every morning
    5. Immediate reward? As I'm sipping on the water I'll get ready to exercise, linking both activities together. Having a focused start to my day will make me feel good, and help me not become distracted with something or another... and an hour later realize that I haven't started to exercise yet. Yikes :p lol
    6. What help do you need from us? Being involved in this group again will definitely be encouraging, and fun.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of November? I'm hoping it makes my mornings flow easier having something to remind me it is time to actually start my day as planned :laugh:.
    Perhaps I will also feel better by drinking water earlier in my day.

I really like the idea of having an individual monthly goal to concentrate on for a longer time, even though I really did like the weekly challenges. This will also give it time to help our personal goals stick. I look forward to learning from each other. Already there are a lot of awesome goals and thoughts posted.

Such a great start to November! I am grateful to be here again <3 .

Hugs,
    texasgardnr :flowerforyou:

@texasgardnr, we are thrilled to have you back agai! Completely understand how life can throw us curve balls, but delighted you are back! I think a water goal is a great focus for November and linking it to your exercise goal is very smart.