Replies

• amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Awww, sorry to hear about that cat Syd- I know how hard that is. <3
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's been a rough week. We all miss her...including the younger cat who seems extra needy and attached to me. In the meantime the son has been home with the flu all week. Funny how the girlfriend is no where to be found when he's sick. :| The husband was sick at Christmas. So between him, the cat and now the son...mom is about over all the caregiving duties.

Also...this is probably the coldest, wettest winter we've had in recent memory. Woke up to temps in the upper 20's several times. I know, I know...that's nothing compared to most of you. But this SoCal girl isn't used to being so cold. I'm a wimp :s

Time to book a vacation to have something to look forward to. Anyone else have fun plans?
  • amcanzo
    Options
    Finally feeling better after being sick for a week-and-a-half... :p Just a chest cold, but the coughing was driving me (and my husband) nuts! Couldn't sleep, couldn't do much of anything...I just love winter :p:p
    We are taking a southern Caribbean cruise in March that I'm super excited about...St.Maarten, St john, Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia and it starts and ends in Puerto Rico. I need to lose about a pound a day now... :D
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    Ann I'm going to live vicariously through you. Those places sound wonderful! I've never been to the Caribbean
  • ryzeman
    ryzeman Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Your cruise sounds great Ann!
    Syd you mentioned how cold it is down in SD. Here in WA we are in contention for the warmest January on record. Only a couple of days has it frozen at night.

Scare with the FIL. The facility thought he had pneumonia and we were in the process of starting hospice. Then he rallied and is doing better. Quite the roller coaster ride. All his extended family even came to say their goodbyes.

I am going to try the keto eating plan. Any thoughts plus or minus on that?
  • SoCalWoman
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Oh, Gary. I'm sorry things have been so difficult with the FIL. :( My great aunt went on and off hospice so many times. I think I said goodbye to her 3 times. It really does mess with the family's emotions. I'm sending you all the positive, healing thoughts and support for each other.

Keto works. If you plan to keep it as a lifestyle. I couldn't do it but know many who have. For me, intermittent fasting really seems to be the answer for me. I can maintain that forever and just modify my food intake up or down depending if I'm really into a losing mode or just trying to maintain. I eat carbs but as long as my fiber intake is good, my body won't hold onto them. (the formula I use is fiber needs to be at least 1/6 of my total carbs..BTW this is the general formula Dr's prescribe to manage diabetics too, in order to keep sugar levels good)

Example: All my calories are consumed between the hours of 11am and 7pm. Nothing before or after. My diary today has 80g carbs and 15g fiber. I ate everything I wanted and included wine. The 11-7 eating window is difficult for many. I don't know why it's so easy for me, but I never feel hungry.

Good luck!
  • ryzeman
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words re: FIL. Its good to get your support!

As for eating plans, like you alluded to, you just need to find the best fit. Right now it seems to be a good one, time will tell. When I tried restricting calories I was hungry all the time and just tried to push through it. It worked and I lost weight but ultimately lost the calorie intake battle with my being hungry all the time. With keto I haven't been hungry buy I do miss the carbs. Time will tell.

Have a great weekend lushes!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    hi all, Sorry I have been MIA. So Xmas was exciting with Holly getting engaged and 2 days later finding out that she was pregnant. So I get to be a Jamma again in July and then the wedding will happen in November. I just got back from LV attending Olivia's 7th birthday and I got to go wedding dress shopping with Holly. (first time I have ever had that opportunity.) Work is work and Doug is driving me crazy. I am so ready to retire, now if I can just figure it out. I need to lose at least 10 pounds before our trip to Maui, in Late April so I can ride horses. Some stables are now requiring a BMI instead of just being under 200 pounds.
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    Robin!!!! Good to see you, and congrats on being a grandma again!!
    And SO jealous about Maui. We went horseback riding there years ago. Very beautiful! Rode down into a waterfall area. The husband rides well and was able to let the horse go in a large field area overlooking the beach. <3
    Nothing exciting here. You guys are motivating me to book a trip. Tahiti/bora bora seems to be top on our list but I'm trying to ignore the long flight (and my general anxiety about it) I can't decide if breaking up the flight by staying in Hawaii for a few days will help :D
    Red wine here. Plugging along
  • ryzeman
    Options
    Hi Robin! Great to see you back.

Syd- when we flew to Hawaii several years ago, I took an ambien. I only remember a couple hours of the six hour flight. Didn't remember getting our bags or the rental car. (thankfully I wasn't driving). And fully came awake at dinner in a restaurant.

It. Was. Awesome. B)
  • amcanzo
    Options
    Gary - Love the Ambien plan...I am not a big fan of flying...maybe I should try that!
    Syd - OMG Bora Bora is somewhere I would LOVE to go! I would be uber jealous of that trip!!

Going to a MMA fight tonight - my daughter's boyfriend's brother is fighting, so we're going to root him on. Should be interesting. Tomorrow - getting ready for Super Bowl party and Sunday we will have a house full!
    I haven't been drinking hardly at all this month and the scale is reflecting it! Yay! Going to keep on keeping on...maybe a light beer or 2 on Sunday... :);)
  • amcanzo
    Options
    Oops! Forgot - Robin: CONGRATS! Wedding and new baby??!! Doubly exciting!!! <3
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    I messed up my back pretty bad...not lifting weights or doing pilates...but by lifting a 6 pack of wine into my shopping cart (hey...I love my 20% off when I buy in bulk, what can I say?)
    I kid you not.
    Figured only people in a lush group could appreciate that pitiful story. :drinker:
  • ryzeman
    Options
    Sorry about your back Sydney! Now soak in the tub with a glass of that wine. B)

Winter has finally arrived. 5 inches of snow on the ground and temps in the low 20s. We have to travel tonight so will be taking it easy on the roads. Cocktails after that for me! :drinker:
  • ryzeman
    Options
    Finally got the keto diet figured out. Got some macros and some great recipes. Still having a few drinks in the evening but keeping everything within guidelines.

Mom fell the other day on the sidewalk outside their place. Took her to the ER. No broken bones but 5 stitches to her forehead. She has black eyes (known as "Raccoon Eyes") but will be ok. I am trying to convince her to walk with a cane.

Big snowfall expected this weekend. Kinda look forward to getting snowed in! I will post a pic if it is epic enough!

Enjoy the weekend! :drinker:
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    Good luck with keto, Gary!! So much success on that plan for many.
    Your parent stories sound so familiar. Why are they so stubborn? My MIL never would use a cane or walker and fell many times...the last one she never recovered from. I wish you the best and hope she heals well. <3

Well my back is healing slowly but I had my 1st experience with vertigo. Like bad...the room is spinning I need to throw up kind of vertigo. (Nope...I wasn't drinking 😉) I've never experienced anything like it...just horrific. Went to the chiropractor and I'm 1000% better. Looks like it'll be a temporary thing for me (thank goodness!) Follow up visits next week but hopefully on the road to recovery. Just in time for a 4 day getaway in Palm Springs next Friday. So ready to get away to some warmth!!
    I haven't been drinking at all and not eating either due to vertigo. I'm at my lowest weight ever since being at MFP. I'm assuming I'll put it all back on on our trip so not logging the loss yet but it was fun seeing that new # on the scale. :D

Have a great weekend everyone!!
  • ryzeman
    Options
    Syd- the other thing that can cause vertigo is an inner ear infection. Some people don't even realize they have the infection since it is in the inner ear where you sense of balance is located. To see if you have vertigo rather than dizziness- close your eyes and shake your head. Vertigo will cause nausea, while dizziness will not.

Also, thanks for the words of support for my mom. It helps knowing others have been through this, and I can lean on you for support. (not too much as I wouldn't want to tweak your back!) <3
  • amcanzo
    Options
    Hello!
    Gary - My MIL has the same problems with balance. She is FINALLY using a cane on a regular basis since taking several falls. She has nephropathy in her legs and feet so often she doesn't even feel them 100%....glad we finally have her convinced that a cane or walker is no longer optional. I'm assuming I'll probably be just as stubborn if I'm fortunate enough to live as long as her!

Syd - ugh, vertigo is the worst - one of our close friends suffers from it and bleh :p I'm glad you're feeling better!

Scale wasn't nice to me after this weekend, need to get back on track...was a bit to celebratory this weekend. And I was only celebrating that it was the weekend!! ;)
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    Ann, the weekend is worth celebrating!!

I'm finally starting to feel human. The back is doing real well and the vertigo has improved. I still have some dizziness (at night mostly) Today is day 5 and I think I'm turning the corner. It's also day 5 of 0 drinks. The scale is my friend at the moment. At this rate I can't see myself drinking any time soon. The fear of aggravating the vertigo is much greater than my desire to have a glass of wine. You may have to take my lush card away!

Unfortunately we're canceling Palm Springs due to weather. The rain has just been non stop here and even in the desert it's cold and not vacation friendly. So we'll postpone. It'll give me more time to get back on track health wise as well...but I'm disappointed. I know the rest of the country is dealing with bone chilling temps and I shouldn't b!tch, but when this SoCal girl has to scrape ice off her car every morning, she gets quite cranky :s We pay big $$ to live here and I want sun and warmth!! This is the absolute coldest/wettest winter I can remember us having in years and the extended forecast looks no different. I've got Spring Fever BAD!!

Ok...I'll quit my complaining now. I am very grateful to be feeling better. Good health trumps any sort of bad weather!!! Hope you lushes have a fabulous week and Happy Valentine's Day to you!! <3
  • ryzeman
    Options
    We had close to two feet of snow- unusual for us. Its finally stopped and we are headed for a warming trend into the 40s with rain. It will take a few days for the snow to melt.

Syd- glad you are feeling better! The double wammy of back and vertigo sucks! As for the weather- the whole country seems to be hit with unusual weather. We'll get through it. As for the San Diego area, I am sure the ground appreciates the water! :)

Ann- Due to the snow my mom wasn't able to get to a Dr to get her stitches out. I went over and did the best I could. We will see if an odd bit of stitch doesn't make its way out in the next week. We'll see if she starts using her cane. She is stubborn much like your MIL. :p