Post-smoking weight gain

Options
Hi everyone! I quit smoking back on October 1, and since then I gained 20 pounds. It's not so much that I needed a hand-to-mouth substitute as nicotine was an appetite suppressant for me. Since I quit, I've been extremely hungry all the time.

For 2019, my goals revolve around better health, so I'm trying to get back to a reasonable weight (41 years old, 5'2", 4 kids, so I think 135-140 is pretty decent). I started keto this week, as well as couch to 5k (C25K). I actually want to hit my goals by the end of June so I can start hockey in July.

Has anyone else dealt with post-smoking weight gain?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    If you just started keto you will have difficulty with your C25K until you become fat adapted... just a heads up. Don't give up, just scale back on your training a bit until you feel up to it. And make sure you are getting enough sodium as the body dumps it along with with the extra water needed to process carbs/run on glycogen. That way no 'keto-flu' will happen.
    You can ask to join the rest of us low carber/ketoers on this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
    There are lots of athletes of all sorts on keto there, cycling, running, weight lifting, etc. as well as those who have dealt with food issues after quitting smoking.
    Congrats on that, BTW!
    Also it might be a bit early in your training but this website is very helpful. nourishbalancethrive.com/
    Set up and run by a competitive cyclist it covers everything from circadian rhythms, Keto diets for performance, blood chemistry and what results mean, testosterone and estrogen balance, and gut health, etc. VERY informative - great podcasts with lots of athletes and doctors and other sport health professionals.
    :)

• AB2ptO
    AB2ptO Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi There. I quit two years ago but stayed on patches or gum or losenges for over a year. I still had weight gain. I can promise thet the feeling of healthy lungs and my new running habit means I will never go back to smoking. I am fighting final 30 post quit/post menopause pounds and I am confident I will beat it. Slow and steady. Up to exercise. Shrink the calories. Its just math. Our metabolisms differ but not that much. I use Fitness22 c5K app with this one. You can do it!
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    It's 5 years almost to the day that I quit smoking (45 at the time) while also going through slightly early menopause at the same time. I gained 20-30lb over a 2 year period and felt it was a fair trade-off for healthier lungs. I discovered mfp 2 and a half years ago and finally lost it, and have been maintaining for the past 2 years with calorie counting and a lifestyle change (ditched the car, walking to work etc).

The first 3 days, then the first 3 weeks, then first 3 months were the hardest bit for me with nicotine withdrawal - after that I rarely craved them, and it didn't last long when I did. I don't know if you've tried to quit before and know all of this, but rest assured it will get easier, until you don't even think of them at all, and smokers smell like stale ashtrays to you. I found exercise to be a temporary appetite suppressant, though this may not work for everyone - when I don't exercise I find I want to eat more.

Good luck! It can be done - and while still eating pizza! (In measured, calculated amounts :p )
  • violet4b
    violet4b Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - That's a real achievement. I think everyone gains weight when they give up. We think we are hungry but it may be that the body is still missing the toxins thatit has come to rely on. I gave up 30 years ago and of course I gained weight. But I just wanted to reassure you that when you are ready it will come off. I managed to keep the weight gain within reasonable limits (up to 20 lbs) and I periodically go on a diet to remind myself what healthyy eating looks like.
    Best of luck on your new healthy journey!
  • deannaroseatx
    deannaroseatx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! My training's not really suffering on keto, since I'm keeping myself at 30 minutes/3 x week and not letting myself push too hard, my only problem is feeling hungry all the freaking time. I've varied my diet to include lots of meat, eggs, green veggies, all cooked or prepped with butter and olive oil (the good stuff from the specialty store, not the cheap crap). I've even made some decent fat bombs with natural peanut butter and dark cocoa, but no matter what I eat or how much, I always feel hungry. I'm keeping myself in check so far and hoping my body gets over it.
  • Jillian11905
    Jillian11905 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi Deanna - I had the same thing happen. I quit around September cold turkey and gained close to 25 pounds. I can't believe how much of an appetite suppressant cigarettes were. I do feel a lot better psychically and I enjoyed every meal that put on the 25lbs. Now I am working to get them off. I am making healthier choices instead of going to the empty snacks such as chips. I went back to using smaller plates to help with portion control. I cut out soda and fried food completely and I am doing 30 to 50 mins of cardio 4 to 5 days a week along with weight training. Good luck on your journey.