A note from your resident SLOW carber

Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
edited January 2019 in Social Groups
Hi. I'm the resident SLOW carber in the group. Yes, this is the "low carb" daily forum. And this group has been my best "home" on MFP because the carbs I choose are much like the carbs the low carbers choose.

I've been eating slow carb since 2003. I aim to eat foods that have a low glycemic load to keep my blood sugar steady and my cravings at bay. Eating my way necessarily makes my (net) carb count lower than the typical SAD eater.

In January 2019, with all the new additions joining us, I wanted to reach out to folks who are trying to decide if low carb is right for them, and how low etc.

And, if there are any other slow carbers lurking (think: the original South Beach Diet, the Always Hungry plan, the "DASH diet weight loss solution, the GI diet, Ketotarians, etc.), I'm here. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Good luck!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    One bump for the night crowd.
    🤓
  • xcc670
    xcc670 Posts: 98 Member
    I started Always Hungry eating in December 2018. I'm just learning but I think this is something I can do for the rest of my life.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    xcc670 wrote: »
    I started Always Hungry eating in December 2018. I'm just learning but I think this is something I can do for the rest of my life.

Great! I read it. Twice. It's similar to South Beach (which is give or take how I eat) except that it has slightly stricter meal guidelines.
    Nice to meet you!

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2019
    Bump.

I sometimes think of low carb as simply going without the process and refined carbs and a bit less on the naturally occurring sugars. I know low carb is usually considered to be under 100-150g of carbs a day, but slow carb seems to give the same benefits to many people as those low levels... Probably because they eat the same carb sources, as you said. :)
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Caught this on the Radio and It made me think of this thread:

http://www.kosu.org/post/you-dont-have-go-no-carb-instead-think-slow-carb
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    mmultanen wrote: »
    Caught this on the Radio and It made me think of this thread:

http://www.kosu.org/post/you-dont-have-go-no-carb-instead-think-slow-carb

Dr. Ludwig. Yes. The "Always Hungry" plan. I like it, but it's a bit more complicated than it needs to be. But basically, yes! The South Beach Diet (ORIGINAL) repackaged. In fact the original South Beach Diet author often quotes Dr. Ludwig. Thanks for posting this.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Just want to mention the Zone and the other 40c/30f/30p diets, they are what kept me from totally failing and why I found transitioning to keto/lchf so much easier than most people. When I followed the Zone, my weight would get very near my target weight, but I kept falling off the wagon. It wasn't until I flipped into Atkins/keto/lchf and doing some fasting, that I lost the weight and have kept it off for over 1.5 yrs. now.

All the the diets mentioned here are better than SAD.
  • pecabonitas
    pecabonitas Posts: 153 Member
    Wow. I feel like I’m in a foreign land. 95% of my diet was carbs for so long. I don’t understand life with out them. They are in everything around me. I need help. I started keto 1/7/19 and have lost 13lbs so far but I’ve fallen off the wagon a few times. I refuse to quit but this is so hard for me. Someone please help....
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    I started with the Sugar Busters diet and lost about 80 lbs. in two years on it. Then I didn’t diet at all the next year, but was able to maintain my loss during that time.

When I decided to try again and needed to lose more quickly, I did strict keto for four months and lost...get ready...55 lbs! However, I developed CRIPPLING gout due to keto...was basically bed bound for four months...and was ordered by my oncologist to stop (I’m a cancer survivor). I gained 20 of it back, so my total loss as of now is around 115 lbs. and I have 60 left to lose.

My plan for losing the last 60 is...I intend to go back to Sugar Busters but combined with a calorie restriction of around 1200 calories a day. Sugar Busters is an incredibly easy diet, one of the first of the “slow carb” variety...basically involves avoiding white foods, haha.

I didn’t count my calories when I did it before, I just ate moderately. I hope to speed up the process by combining SB with calorie restriction. Anyone who wants to try this dietary approach along with me, please send me a friend request! I will have my diary open. I am purchasing my food today and starting tomorrow, January 26th.

Sugar Busters, unite!! :-)

My basic food list:
    Any meat,
    Eggs,
    Any cheese,
    Almond milk, all nuts and SF nut butters
    Dairy: Greek yogurt, half and half, Carb Smart Ice Cream
    Fruits: berries, grapefruit, and a small amount of melon occasionally.
    Any non-starchy vegetable,
    Starchy vegetables: peas of any kind (I’m southern and eat a lot of brown “field” peas), carrots, and butter beans/lima beans,
    Starches (limited to TWO servings of these starches per day: sweet potato, brown rice, whole grain breads (I usually use the whole wheat low carb tortillas), whole grain pasta, bran cereal and oatmeal (with almond milk).
    Treats and miscellaneous:
    I use Splenda for sweetening.
    I make sugar free cheesecakes for special occasions, also SF oatmeal and peanut butter cookies and bran muffins.
    I eat sugar free pickles and relish and make my own low calorie, delicious sugar free thousand island, comeback, and remoulade salad dressings.
    Any sugar free condiment.
    I use whipped cream in limited amounts for my sugar free jello cups.
    I use Land o Lakes butter/olive oil blend
    Any kind of sugar free beverage, but I avoid alcohol. Red wine is permitted though.

That’s about it! I’m sure there is still information on the Sugar Busters diet out there if you wanna look it up. :-)
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Wow. I feel like I’m in a foreign land. 95% of my diet was carbs for so long. I don’t understand life with out them. They are in everything around me. I need help. I started keto 1/7/19 and have lost 13lbs so far but I’ve fallen off the wagon a few times. I refuse to quit but this is so hard for me. Someone please help....

In a lot of ways it is a "lifestyle" shift. It takes a lot of unlearning old habits. You might try friending some of the keto folks who keep diaries just to see what they are eating and how. If you get active in the update feedback, you will get some yourself and that may help with motivation. People can be very "plan driven," especially at the start. You want a rule for success, and some talking head on YouTube plays to that inclination.

I have been keto since 2016. I played with the macros looking for the sweet spot for me. I am very happy where I am, and it is sustainable, satisfying, etc.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member

Check out the Launch Pad, it has links to meal plans, recipes, and just about anything else you need to know.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

Good luck sorting yourself out.