What's on your mind today?

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
This is where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,215 Member
    Options
    Just knocking this up the Challenge list.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,408 Member
    Options
    Hi, Terri! I'm back too.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I have been trying to find this in chart form for some time now ... "cause I can never remember the specifics.
    wd08cd6r2pi4.png

Please look it over, and as we move into a new month we should each determine what progress we have made so far - how far we each still have to go .... and whether our MFP profile expectations are still appropriately set to our new, current reality.
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hello, can't wait to get started! I have a question for anyone who's done this challenge before:

How do you manage your daily vs weekly calorie allowances? For example, can you save up calories during the week if you know you're going to need them at the weekend? Also, what if you eat out at a restaurant and so you can only estimate the calories in a meal, would you choose to count this as a pass day?
    Can I really count day to day chores as activity our should it only bee intentional exercise? I go to the gym for an hour a day Mon to Fri and then weekends I might get a long walk in but other than that I just go about my normal routine. I wouldn't want to add an extra two workouts in case I over do it.

So basically I'm asking:
    Do you stick rigidly to your daily calorie goals and exercise goals or do you take a weekly overview?

I really want to do this challenge but am concerned it won't work with my way of eating and exercising.
  • lalabank
    lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    @39flavours
    This challenge is all about daily goals. You set your own. I personally have the same calorie goals for every day of the week. I’m pretty sure it would be ok to have a different goal on weekends, but you should define what those numbers are before you begin the challenge. We don’t bank calories from day to day. Each day starts new.
    Exercise is intentional and 20 minutes everyday. I personally don’t use chores unless it’s above and beyond my normal activity, say shoveling snow.
    It is your choice if you are going to eat back exercise calories.
    UAC is designed to push us by setting attainable but difficult goals. It’s ok to use all of your pass days or more but to keep checking in. This is about establishing and practicing healthy habits.
    Hope this answered your questions and that you join us!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    39flavours wrote: »
    Hello, can't wait to get started! I have a question for anyone who's done this challenge before:

How do you manage your daily vs weekly calorie allowances? For example, can you save up calories during the week if you know you're going to need them at the weekend? Also, what if you eat out at a restaurant and so you can only estimate the calories in a meal, would you choose to count this as a pass day?
    Can I really count day to day chores as activity our should it only bee intentional exercise? I go to the gym for an hour a day Mon to Fri and then weekends I might get a long walk in but other than that I just go about my normal routine. I wouldn't want to add an extra two workouts in case I over do it.

So basically I'm asking:
    Do you stick rigidly to your daily calorie goals and exercise goals or do you take a weekly overview?

I really want to do this challenge but am concerned it won't work with my way of eating and exercising.

lalabank answered the food one well. There is more information in the FAQ section on that. There are strategies for getting a close estimate on restaurant meals with some advance planning and maybe an extra walk to build up some more exercise calories. What you set as "today's calorie allowance" day by day is up to you .... and how you decide what is "under / over your personal limit" on a "banking day".

The weekend walk absolutely counts towards your daily exercise. There are some more examples of things that count in FAQ section of the thread = like dance to the radio while dusting - things like walking while watching your fave tv show, doing a short Youtube work-out etc. This is also "intentional and time-able" but not necessarily gym time.

This is all about finding what is sustainable for you as a long-term lifestyle, and owning your choices while learning how you will work out keeping to healthy options ~ 90% of the time (which is what 3 pass days works out to).

It doesn't matter if you end up using more than 3 passes. You are "never out". The real winners are the ones who keep on keeping up with the reporting and increasing self-awareness / evolving lifestyle tweaks, no matter what.
  • classic2o
    classic2o Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    HeLLo Everyone, I like the idea of this challenge.

@RangerRickL I am going to be counting budgeted carbs instead of calories in March.

"2. CONSUME ONLY YOUR BUDGETED CALORIES."

Not sure if this has been asked? I want to be legit.. with the challenge.

Thanks!
  • Krysless2
    Krysless2 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    classic2o wrote: »

@RangerRickL I am going to be counting budgeted carbs instead of calories in March.

Thanks!

Are you doing the Ketogenic diet? If so you can use Macrofare to figure your macros and it gives you a calorie count suggestion(which is always much higher then your typical calorie deficit to lose weight). When i did that it helped me set up my carb, protein and fat goals while suggesting a calorie limit. MFP lets you make goals for all of that and then some. Not sure if you're trying to lose weight and im sorry if im giving unwanted advice. I used to only focus on carbs and never looked at the calories until I got stuck on a plateau. After i researched some more about Low carb and keto, i started using that way of eating as a guide to help me ultimately stay under my calorie limit. But by all means, feel free to ignore me(I've had 3 coffees this morning) im just a newbie who loves to talk about low carbs with other low carbers 🙂
  • classic2o
    classic2o Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Kwinnero wrote: »
    classic2o wrote: »

Thanks!

Are you doing the Ketogenic diet? If so you can use Macrofare to figure your macros and it gives you a calorie count suggestion(which is always much higher then your typical calorie deficit to lose weight). When i did that it helped me set up my carb, protein and fat goals while suggesting a calorie limit. MFP lets you make goals for all of that and then some. Not sure if you're trying to lose weight and im sorry if im giving unwanted advice. I used to only focus on carbs and never looked at the calories until I got stuck on a plateau. After i researched some more about Low carb and keto, i started using that way of eating as a guide to help me ultimately stay under my calorie limit. But by all means, feel free to ignore me(I've had 3 coffees this morning) im just a newbie who loves to talk about low carbs with other low carbers 🙂

I am just seriously starting with Keto/ Low carb woe. Thank you for your very thoughtful advice! I will look into Macrofare.. it sounds like a useful tool. :)
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    While turning out drawers to discover what lighter clothes still fit / finally fit / no longer fit .... I unearthed an old mechanical pedometer (imagine that ... no batteries!) So I finally have a way to count steps outside the context of my exergame.

And since MOST of my lighter clothes don't fit at all (including the ones I bought new last June for an overseas trip) I splurged on some BRAND NEW ones (not thrift-store finds like most of my ever-transitioning wardrobe) the tops are size SMALL and the pants are size EIGHT (8)!!!!!!

(yes it is a "relaxed fit" line, but still ...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Congratulations...such a wonderful achievement!
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    39flavours wrote: »

So basically I'm asking:

It is easiest for me to do daily.
    Keeps me focused better.
    I don't have to remember back.
    Mostly I feel it's most accurate.
    But....that's me. We all have to find our sweet spot.
    However, I believe in this challenge we are to record our results atleast every 3 days.
    Hope that info helps!
    Good luck :)
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Options
    While turning out drawers to discover what lighter clothes still fit / finally fit / no longer fit .... I unearthed an old mechanical pedometer (imagine that ... no batteries!) So I finally have a way to count steps outside the context of my exergame.

And since MOST of my lighter clothes don't fit at all (including the ones I bought new last June for an overseas trip) I splurged on some BRAND NEW ones (not thrift-store finds like most of my ever-transitioning wardrobe) the tops are size SMALL and the pants are size EIGHT (8)!!!!!!

(yes it is a "relaxed fit" line, but still ...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

So happy for you!
  • BMcC9
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I had heard of Leslie Sansone's Walking Workouts, and maybe even seen a dvd or two in a store from time to time.

On the weekend, I bought what I THOUGHT was a second-hand digital pedometer at the thrift store (with her branding on it) But on closer inspection, I discovered that this seems to be more like the vehicle for her Digital Downloadable products.

With warmer weather possibly showing up by the end of NEXT month .... something that gets me burning my calories OUTSIDE for a change would expand my (anticipated) maintenance activity options. And I would respond better to audio-guided walking and music at a suitably brisk pace better in terms of frequency and actually getting out and DOING it than "just ... briskly(?) ... walking" much the same routes around my house over and over.

I am not very into personal device type digital-anything content or apps (don't even own a "dumbphone" personal cell) and I have no current experience with any of Leslie Sansone's programs.

This appears to have come pre-loaded with:
    • energy boosting walk.amv
    • five-hundred step walk.amv
    • health booster walk.amv

Is anyone is familiar with her style and material? I saw on her website that there is a raft of other digital downloads available for sale as well.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Seems I bought a Leslie Sansone mp4 player preloaded with 21 songs chosen for a pace where "3 songs = 1 mile when you stay on beat", and includes 3 pre-loaded work-out videos using those same songs (the *.amv files listed above) This is gonna be great once the warm weather comes and I can take the long, fast stride out-of-doors.

And I finally bought "access to the online dance-based dynamic core exercise program" last night. Love it already.

The dvd backup will mean I can take it to the room with no computer but more space (and cooler) as needed for more advanced work.
  • tuffgirl19
    tuffgirl19 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I had heard of Leslie Sansone's Walking Workouts, and maybe even seen a dvd or two in a store from time to time.

On the weekend, I bought what I THOUGHT was a second-hand digital pedometer at the thrift store (with her branding on it) But on closer inspection, I discovered that this seems to be more like the vehicle for her Digital Downloadable products.

With warmer weather possibly showing up by the end of NEXT month .... something that gets me burning my calories OUTSIDE for a change would expand my (anticipated) maintenance activity options. And I would respond better to audio-guided walking and music at a suitably brisk pace better in terms of frequency and actually getting out and DOING it than "just ... briskly(?) ... walking" much the same routes around my house over and over.

I am not very into personal device type digital-anything content or apps (don't even own a "dumbphone" personal cell) and I have no current experience with any of Leslie Sansone's programs.

This appears to have come pre-loaded with:
    • energy boosting walk.amv
    • five-hundred step walk.amv
    • health booster walk.amv

Is anyone is familiar with her style and material? I saw on her website that there is a raft of other digital downloads available for sale as well.

Hope you enjoy it @BMcC9! I’ve done Leslie Sansone in the past, I would put my own music on, beats as she kind of aggravated me🤣😂
  • BMcC9
    Options
    tuffgirl19 wrote: »
    Hope you enjoy it @BMcC9! I’ve done Leslie Sansone in the past, I would put my own music on, beats as she kind of aggravated me🤣😂

The trick will be picking the right-tempo music to add on. I am very much a 'move the speed I am listening to' person.
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Options
    Found myself with negative thinking this morning that would lead to disaster....I've been caring for my grandchildren a wound for sound 3 year old and sick 7 month old....I didn't log any thing yesterday. This morning while making breakfast I was doing mental notations of all things, cheese etc, when I thought, "I'm not going to worry about logging today either". Eye opener.....that's what leads to trouble... I WILL log today ;)
    Have a wonderful Sunday ya'all!