This March I Will...

Options

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,812 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I read a few poems by Christina Rossetti “Who Has Seen The Wind,” “Colors,” and “A Better Resurrection.” I wrote one about sleep.

Well done @PackerFanInGB and @barbaraharmon1 !
  • barbaraharmon1
    barbaraharmon1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Had about a cup of water left in my pitcher. I took too long of a break before lunch.
    I will do better tomorrow
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I am really enjoying reading your updates! We have a great mix of habits that we’re working on and some very creative rewards.

I wanted to update you all both on my February goal (to get more daily steps in) and my March goal to get more sleep. I’m using the StepBet game to reach my step targets and the game doesn’t conclude for another two weeks. The fear of losing my $40 entrance fee has definitely prodded me to move more. I’ve met my daily and weekly targets and now at the end of week 4, I am still in the game. The daily target set for me are just the perfect nudge. More than I had been walking but not so lofty that it won’t be sustainable.

My sleep goal is off to a slower start, but I am getting more sleep. I need to work harder at taking my shower earlier and getting to bed at 11 or so. One complicator is our woodstove. It needs to be filled at 11pm so that there’s enough coals at 7am to restart the fire. The stove has an 8 hour burn cycle so if I did fill it at 10 PM I’d have to wake up at 6am to refill and I’m reluctant to do that. But this is really a temporary challenge. With the warming weather, we plan on shutting off the stove for the season in another week or two and then I won’t have any impediments to getting to bed at 11pm.

I realize the above paragraph isn’t likely to boost wood stove sales, but it’s not as onerous as it sounds. Living in a forest with animals and weather events that routinely bring down hardwood trees, we harvest all of our firewood on our property. It’s a huge savings in heating costs over the winter. My husband does the hard work of chainsawing the tree and splitting it into pieces, and I take over once the wood is in the house. A fire on a snowy January day is just perfect! But I’m done for the season. I am looking forward to shutting off the stove and returning to our regular home heating system (heat pumps).
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Log every bite:
    3/2: 😊
    3/3: 😊
    3/4: 😊
    3/5: 😊
    3/6: 😊
    3/7: :smile:
    3/8: :smile:

I'm down 5 lbs just from paying very close attention to what I'm eating. It's been 7 days of no-added sugar and protein-based evening snacks. Yesterday I had a very tough day at work, was feeling very emotional (hurt and angry) and I wanted to eat so badly. I wanted to grab the candybars out of the candy dish and eat the tootsie rolls and hit the vending machines. But I didn't. So that was a really awesome NSV for me.

Happy Saturday everyone!

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I am really enjoying reading your updates! We have a great mix of habits that we’re working on and some very creative rewards.

I wanted to update you all both on my February goal (to get more daily steps in) and my March goal to get more sleep. I’m using the StepBet game to reach my step targets and the game doesn’t conclude for another two weeks. The fear of losing my $40 entrance fee has definitely prodded me to move more. I’ve met my daily and weekly targets and now at the end of week 4, I am still in the game. The daily target set for me are just the perfect nudge. More than I had been walking but not so lofty that it won’t be sustainable.

My sleep goal is off to a slower start, but I am getting more sleep. I need to work harder at taking my shower earlier and getting to bed at 11 or so. One complicator is our woodstove. It needs to be filled at 11pm so that there’s enough coals at 7am to restart the fire. The stove has an 8 hour burn cycle so if I did fill it at 10 PM I’d have to wake up at 6am to refill and I’m reluctant to do that. But this is really a temporary challenge. With the warming weather, we plan on shutting off the stove for the season in another week or two and then I won’t have any impediments to getting to bed at 11pm.

I realize the above paragraph isn’t likely to boost wood stove sales, but it’s not as onerous as it sounds. Living in a forest with animals and weather events that routinely bring down hardwood trees, we harvest all of our firewood on our property. It’s a huge savings in heating costs over the winter. My husband does the hard work of chainsawing the tree and splitting it into pieces, and I take over once the wood is in the house. A fire on a snowy January day is just perfect! But I’m done for the season. I am looking forward to shutting off the stove and returning to our regular home heating system (heat pumps).

I totally understand the woodstove conundrum! We used to live in the country in the middle of the woods and we had one in our basement that we heated our whole house with. We had the same issue but my husband used to get up really early for work and he stoked it before he left. I got home earlier from work than he did and I stoked it when I got home, and then we stoked it at bedtime. It was totally worth the savings in propane and totally worth it to live in the woods. My husband and I used to cut, split and stack the wood every year. I actually miss it.

Sounds like you are doing great with your StepBet game! Go Denise! :smiley:
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Denise, congrats on still being in the the StepBet game! You can make it to the end now! I loved using a wood stove years ago. We don't use it anymore but I remember how it made the house feel so cozy. It was worth the extra work.

We turn our clocks ahead tonight so I'm going to bed when the clock says 11 even though it will only be 10. I'd like to get up earlier in the morning from now on so I can get more sewing time in in the mornings. Every time I finish one project, two more pop up that I want to do. I started cross stitching a Harry Potter picture for my granddaughter for her birthday in May and I listen to podcasts while I do that. I spent 2 hours editing pictures tonight. It takes too much concentration to do that and listen to podcasts at the same time.

More snow, rain, and wind on its way next week. 😝
  • 77tes
    Options
    @nebslp, I love working on sewing early in the morning, that’s sounds like a fun plan. @PackerFanInGB , Wow, logging seems to be magical for you. @themedalist you are doing great! It sounds like tStep Bet is a great motivator, maybe there’s a sleep bet. :)

Today I wrote a poem named “Hide and Seek” and read “ I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud” by William Wordsworth and spent some time dancing with the daffodils 🌼.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Daily intake of water

(3-1) 4 bottles
    (3-2) 6 bottles
    (3-3) 5 bottles
    (3-4) 4 bottles
    (3-5) 5 bottles
    (3-6) 7 bottles
    (3-7) 5 bottles
    (3-8) 5 bottles
    (3-9) 3 bottles
    (3-10)
  • 77tes
    Options
    Today’s attempt at poetry is “Just Sports “I read a lot of poetry by Blake and Worthswoth. Here are some favorite lines:
    Knowing that Nature never did betray
    The heart that loved her; 'tis her privilege,
    Through all the years of this our life, to lead
    From joy to joy: for she can so inform
    The mind that is within us, so impress
    With quietness and beauty, and so feed
    With lofty thoughts, that neither evil tongues,
    Rash judgments, nor the sneers of selfish men,
    Nor greetings where no kindness is, nor all
    The dreary intercourse of daily life,
    Shall e'er prevail against us, or disturb
    Our cheerful faith that all which we behold
    Is full of blessings.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @77tes I just had a little dance with the daffodils myself and it lifted my spirits exactly when I needed it. I am so glad you are sharing your poetry choices. It’s nudging me into a world that I had always passed by before without a second glance.

@PinkyPan1 and @PackerFanInGB and @barbaraharmon1 Your accountability and follow through is inspiring.

I’m really struggling to “get” my camera settings and the why of using different ones. I was feeling discouraged today, but I won’t give up. I need to take a class! I am improving on my organization and editing skills😊
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Today’s attempt at poetry is “Just Sports “I read a lot of poetry by Blake and Worthswoth. Here are some favorite lines:
    Knowing that Nature never did betray
    The heart that loved her; 'tis her privilege,
    Through all the years of this our life, to lead
    From joy to joy: for she can so inform
    The mind that is within us, so impress
    With quietness and beauty, and so feed
    With lofty thoughts, that neither evil tongues,
    Rash judgments, nor the sneers of selfish men,
    Nor greetings where no kindness is, nor all
    The dreary intercourse of daily life,
    Shall e'er prevail against us, or disturb
    Our cheerful faith that all which we behold
    Is full of blessings.

This is lovely, @77tes. I'm glad you are sharing your poetry with us!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Log every bite:
    3/2: 😊
    3/3: 😊
    3/4: 😊
    3/5: 😊
    3/6: 😊
    3/7: :smile:
    3/8: :smile:

I'm down 5 lbs just from paying very close attention to what I'm eating. It's been 7 days of no-added sugar and protein-based evening snacks. Yesterday I had a very tough day at work, was feeling very emotional (hurt and angry) and I wanted to eat so badly. I wanted to grab the candybars out of the candy dish and eat the tootsie rolls and hit the vending machines. But I didn't. So that was a really awesome NSV for me.

Happy Saturday everyone!

5 pounds down is fantastic, @packerFanInGB! Logging every bite is tedious, but it works!
  • themedalist
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    Daily intake of water

(3-1) 4 bottles
    (3-2) 6 bottles
    (3-3) 5 bottles
    (3-4) 4 bottles
    (3-5) 5 bottles
    (3-6) 7 bottles
    (3-7) 5 bottles
    (3-8) 5 bottles
    (3-9) 3 bottles
    (3-10)
    nebslp wrote: »
    @77tes I just had a little dance with the daffodils myself and it lifted my spirits exactly when I needed it. I am so glad you are sharing your poetry choices. It’s nudging me into a world that I had always passed by before without a second glance.

@PinkyPan1 and @PackerFanInGB and @barbaraharmon1 Your accountability and follow through is inspiring.

I’m really struggling to “get” my camera settings and the why of using different ones. I was feeling discouraged today, but I won’t give up. I need to take a class! I am improving on my organization and editing skills😊

We know you won't be giving up, @nebslp. You are making real progress. Are there You Tube videos on your specific camera that might help? I'm now trying to learn something about Apple's GarageBand software and I'm pleased with how many helpful You Tube videos are out there.
  • themedalist
    Options
  • nebslp
    Options
    @themedalist Your post is so meaningful! And, after reading @77tes poem, I was wishing for a LOVE button!

Denise, I think you've just labeled my behavior during the past couple of my photography "work" sessions. It's so much easier to edit and organize my photos than it is to learn and then to remember so many new things about my camera. I've been doing necessary things, but definitely taking the easy route. My OK Plateau has got to go! There are videos I can watch but there's so much information I don't know what to start with and I feel overwhelmed. I will systematically break it down into sections and then take notes and then practice, practice, practice. I've got this...it just hasn't sunk in yet!!
  • jroslyn
    jroslyn Posts: 34 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Wow, spring must be in the air with those hosts of golden daffodils--everyone is going gangbusters!

@themedalist , thank you for the fascinating insights into memory--I'm so impressed by your work at learning names ahead of a meeting--that's amazing!

@PackerFanInGB , good for you for the logging--it sounds like it's really making a huge difference for you. Your posts are a great nudge for me, as I've been logging consistently but maybe getting a little sloppy about remembering to log little things like the afternoon coffee or the extra fruit in the salad.

@nebslp , digital cameras are the most complex pieces of technology I've ever tried to use! Good for you for not giving up--my camera just sits in a drawer because it's too complicated, and I always just end up grabbing my phone. And sticking with this photo project when you've got other projects going on is great; I'd like to see your cross-stitch.

@77tes , your immersion in poetry is so inspiring, especially all the Wordsworth--"I Wandered Lonely..." always comes into my head at this time of year, and it's one of my favorites, but I haven't looked at "Tintern Abbey" in ages, and it is so gorgeous. I'm curious about your own poetry-writing--are you experimenting with different forms, or are you more of a free verse lady? I love playing with meter, but I'm awful at it. (A few years ago--well, quite a few years ago now I worked through a lot of the exercises in Stephen Fry's The Ode Less Travelled [which I highly recommend if you don't already know it]), but I never got beyond very clumsy efforts.

@pinkypan1 , you are amazing!!! You are so consistent in your accountability!

My habits have been mixed--the new skincare routine is lovely, a very relaxing wind-down before bed. However, for the keeping-a-nice-dining-table goal, I made a mistake by not getting my husband on board before committing to it, so although I've been doing a better job of setting the table properly, I'm still having to shovel clutter off of it, or to a corner of it. And now that I articulate that I see that there is a simple remedy, which is just to tell him that that's my goal for the month! Sheesh!

Oh--we are also woodstove-stokers here, and much as I love the coziness, I'm looking forward to the end of the burning season--still at least a month away for us, I think.