This March I Will...

Options

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    Today I met my weekly goal of being focused and having more structured days. I’ve been studying my new camera settings for 2-3 hours a day every day I’m home as a means to that end. Three days ago I decided to be deliberate and focused in my studies. Instead of just reading my book for “dummies” and trying to remember everything, I took notes and drew diagrams of every side of my camera. I discovered there are over 35 buttons, dials, and ports to learn about. No wonder I was feeling overwhelmed! I reviewed them today and then I made 2 charts that show all of the possible menu options, one for automatic modes, the other for creative modes. I will be able to locate dozens of options with a glance at my charts instead of trying to remember everything or fumble through every category to find what I need. I’m hopeful that with practice eventually I won’t need them. Working hard and fingers crossed!

This is fantastic, @nebslp! I’m glad you’ve set a deliberate practice schedule for yourself and created 2 charts to help you navigate the 35 options you camera has.

Such a great post!

• themedalist
    Options
    @themedalist
    Read that whole excerpt & I think it explains my backsliding with my weight for first time in at least 22 months. I hit an OK Plateau.

SO, I need to get out of autonomous...by...
    1) focus on my technique
    2) stay goal-oriented
    3) constant & immediate feedback on my performance

1) I increased salads to daily! I will keep that up. Ditto more fish & legumes.
    I am tracking meals I have sugar, decreased from 3 to 2, per day. Tomorrow I will whack it back to 1 sweet thing.
    Reduce sodium back under 2ng daily.

2) this is the biggie. I need to get my “fire in my belly” feeling again.
    Ok, scale is continuing to drift up. I will lose 1 lb by the end of March.

3) I will post my food at each meal BEFORE eating anything.
    I will look at my macros & micros each evening.

Thank you for this & ty Group! You all make me a better person. ♥️

THIS GROUP!!! I LOVE YOU♥️❤️♥️
    1) Sodium 1316 mg ✅
    Sweets 0 ✅
    Fruit/Veg 6.5 sev ✅
    Calories 241 deficit ✅

2) Got the fire in the belly again. Was honest with myself. My digestive track has not been as happy. My stomach did the >153 lb increase. Hit my top Weight 155.
    Committed to getting under 153.

3) posted food & checked macros/micros prior to eating ✅

Love this update, @MadisonMolly2017! I’m delighted to hear that the deliberate practice and OK plateau concepts resonated with you I think you got a great plan of action.
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 , those are some terrific accomplishments! That fire in the belly is so much better than an unhappy digestive track. ;)

I haven’t checked in for a few days, but I’ve been reading poetry every day. The last few days I’ve been reading Gerard Manley Hopkins. I haven’t written any the last 4 days, but this beautiful spring weather has been so inspiring.

Great progress on your March poetry goal, @77tes!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I am so excited to hear that the concepts of deliberate practice and the OK plateau have struck a chord with so many of you. For several years now, I’ve been tracking my guitar sessions on a phone app and at the end of the year it tallies up the total number of hours and I can see each day that I practiced. It was 90 hours 18 minutes in 2018...pretty much 15 minutes a day. But since I want to progress as a guitarist, I’m now also jotting down what I’m working on and how it’s going. Fortunately the app also has a notes section so I can record that information in the same app.

For me, there are some limitations. If I spend my whole practice session focused on my weak spots, this wonderful hobby that I love is going degrade and start feeling like work. It won’t be sustainable. Also my current focus, the D chord, uses the 3 thinnest strings and my fingers become raw and painful very quickly if I spent too much time on the D. All things in moderation. Now I’m spending the first 10 minutes or so focused on my deliberate practice, and then I switch to playing whatever songs I feel like playing. Seems to be a good balance for me.
  • themedalist
    Options
    My March goal of getting more sleep is progressing, albeit slowly. I’ve increased my daily sleep average by 20 minutes, but I know I can do better. This week we shutoff the wood stove for the season so I no longer have the 11pm feedings. But I still wrestle with myself to actually get to bed by 11pm. Even though I feel better when I get more sleep, there are so many things I like doing and ideas I have that I think I’d like to pursue that I have trouble settling down. Little kid on Christmas Eve syndrome.

My February goal of getting more daily steps is going great. I’m sold on the StepBet concept. I’m averaging about 3000 steps more a day. The fear of losing $40 has motivated me to walk more every day. When this 6 week session wraps up next week, I’ll get my $40 back and about $5 to $7, my share of the winners pot.
  • jroslyn
    jroslyn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My March goal of getting more sleep is progressing, albeit slowly. I’ve increased my daily sleep average by 20 minutes, but I know I can do better. This week we shutoff the wood stove for the season so I no longer have the 11pm feedings. But I still wrestle with myself to actually get to bed by 11pm. Even though I feel better when I get more sleep, there are so many things I like doing and ideas I have that I think I’d like to pursue that I have trouble settling down. Little kid on Christmas Eve syndrome.

Good for you for making progress on this goal in this first week of daylight savings time. I have a fairly regular sleep schedule, but this week it was a struggle to go to bed early enough to make that one-hour adjustment. It also messed up my eating schedule—it doesn’t seem like an hour should make that much difference, but as I get older, it seems harder to adjust every year. I had less sleep than usual this week (and poorer-quality sleep), so brava for that 20 minute average increase!
  • jroslyn
    Options
    I love all the things about habit and practice—too many to quote here, but thanks to all for the insights. “OK plateau” is such a helpful idea.

I had a pretty good week on my little goals for this month—nice table settings (though I miss the candles now that we are eating dinner by daylight), and I’ve expanded my skincare routine beyond my face to hands, elbows, and feet. Just in time, as the springy weather is getting me out in the sun more, where I notice with horror the appearance of my skin—and it’s also just in time for sunscreen season. I realized I’d gotten slack about sunscreen because I hate the stuff I have right now, so I’m shopping around for something that works but doesn’t make it feel like my skin is being suffocated.
  • themedalist
    Options
    jroslyn wrote: »
    I love all the things about habit and practice—too many to quote here, but thanks to all for the insights. “OK plateau” is such a helpful idea.

I had a pretty good week on my little goals for this month—nice table settings (though I miss the candles now that we are eating dinner by daylight), and I’ve expanded my skincare routine beyond my face to hands, elbows, and feet. Just in time, as the springy weather is getting me out in the sun more, where I notice with horror the appearance of my skin—and it’s also just in time for sunscreen season. I realized I’d gotten slack about sunscreen because I hate the stuff I have right now, so I’m shopping around for something that works but doesn’t make it feel like my skin is being suffocated.

Good for you for making such great progress on your goals this month, @jroslyn! Yes, more daylight would mean fewer candlelight dinners. And I hear you on the sunscreen. I’ve never found one that felt like my skin could breathe.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Daily intake of water

(3-1) 4 bottles
    (3-2) 6 bottles
    (3-3) 5 bottles
    (3-4) 4 bottles
    (3-5) 5 bottles
    (3-6) 7 bottles
    (3-7) 5 bottles
    (3-8) 5 bottles
    (3-9) 3 bottles
    (3-10) 4 bottles
    (3-11) 5 bottles
    (3-12) 5 bottles
    (3-13) 4 bottles
    (3-15) 4 bottles
    (3-16) 6 bottles
    (3-17) 5 bottles
    (3-18) 3 bottles
  • jroslyn
    edited March 2019
    Options
    :s
    So frustrating—I had a reaction to something—probably that awful sunscreen—and broke out in sore red blotches on my face and can’t use any of my nice skincare products. So the skincare habit is reduced to extremely cautious washing and careful dabbing with plain lotion for now.

On the plus side, our table settings have been lovely, mostly because once I actually mentioned to my husband what I was doing, he started keeping the table meticulously clear of mail and such, so I’ve been free to do the fun part of choosing linens and things. (Currently bright red mats with cheerful cherry-print napkins.) It’s a good reminder that I just need to communicate clearly in order to get all kinds of support.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,793 Member
    Options
    jroslyn wrote: »
    :s
    So frustrating—I had a reaction to something—probably that awful sunscreen—and broke out in sore red blotches on my face and can’t use any of my nice skincare products. So the skincare habit is reduced to extremely cautious washing and careful dabbing with plain lotion for now.

On the plus side, our table settings have been lovely, mostly because once I actually mentioned to my husband what I was doing, he started keeping the table meticulously clear of mail and such, so I’ve been free to do the fun part of choosing linens and things. (Currently bright red mats with cheerful cherry-print napkins.) It’s a good reminder that I just need to communicate clearly in order to get all kinds of support.

Oh! Poor thing! Bummer that a product turned on you. I actually react like that to coconut oil which everyone says is a great natural thing for skin and hair. Funny, I can eat coconut no problem, but can’t use the oil on my skin.

I love the idea of the beautifully set table for dinner each night. Back when my kids were little, we used to do the same, and it made for a lovely respite in our busy days. My kids used to take turns blowing out the candles, and lighting them when they got older. Now we’ve gotten lazy about doing this, though.

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    In March, I will log every bite:
    3/2: 😊
    3/3: 😊
    3/4: 😊
    3/5: 😊
    3/6: 😊
    3/7: :)
    3/8: :)
    3/9: :smile:
    3/10: :smile:
    3/11: :smile:
    3/12: :smile:
    3/13: :smile:
    3/14: :smile:
    3/15: :smile:
    3/16: :smile:
    3/17: :smile:
    3/18: :smile:
    3/19: :smile:

So far so good! This has been a really good challenge for me. It has made me so much more aware of what I am eating, how much sugar, how little protein, my water or lack of... This one is a keeper!

I did blow my no-added sugar streak on Monday. It was my birthday and my husband made my favorite....Angel Food cake with strawberries and Cool Whip on top. I decided to go ahead and have a piece because this has to be a sustainable lifestyle and realistically I will not be going the rest of my life without eating a piece of my own birthday cake! But it's okay. I do not consider it a fail, because I'm right back at it!

Have a lovely day! :flowerforyou:

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,793 Member
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB , Happy Birthday! :) Eating a slice of your Birthday Angel Food Cake was definitely the right thing to do. o:) Definitely NOT a fail. And look at all that happy faces for logging every bite. Great going!
  • jroslyn
    Options

I did blow my no-added sugar streak on Monday. It was my birthday and my husband made my favorite....Angel Food cake with strawberries and Cool Whip on top. I decided to go ahead and have a piece because this has to be a sustainable lifestyle and realistically I will not be going the rest of my life without eating a piece of my own birthday cake! But it's okay. I do not consider it a fail, because I'm right back at it!

Have a lovely day! :flowerforyou:

Good for you! I would consider that a major success—allowing yourself a celebratory treat for a special occasion, enjoying it, and not allowing it to tip you back into eating a lot of sugar the next day—that is fantastic! Happy birthday! 🎉
  • jroslyn
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    My kids used to take turns blowing out the candles, and lighting them when they got older.

My brother and I used to do that, too—and play with the wax drippings, which drove my dad nuts, and squirt orange peel into the flames to make them flare up and spark!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to hear that the concepts of deliberate practice and the OK plateau have struck a chord with so many of you. For several years now, I’ve been tracking my guitar sessions on a phone app and at the end of the year it tallies up the total number of hours and I can see each day that I practiced. It was 90 hours 18 minutes in 2018...pretty much 15 minutes a day. But since I want to progress as a guitarist, I’m now also jotting down what I’m working on and how it’s going. Fortunately the app also has a notes section so I can record that information in the same app.

For me, there are some limitations. If I spend my whole practice session focused on my weak spots, this wonderful hobby that I love is going degrade and start feeling like work. It won’t be sustainable. Also my current focus, the D chord, uses the 3 thinnest strings and my fingers become raw and painful very quickly if I spent too much time on the D. All things in moderation. Now I’m spending the first 10 minutes or so focused on my deliberate practice, and then I switch to playing whatever songs I feel like playing. Seems to be a good balance for me.

@themedalist
    Yes, everything in balance, but I am continuing to follow the guidelines...
    Technique Focus
    Keep Goal in Mind
    Seek Feedback

In a Recent art class everyone was focusing on finishing a complete portrait. I realize that I have not mastered her techniques, so I did my composition and set it aside - I did one full portrait the 2nd day, and final class practicing the subtle layering of skin tones and detailed work of creating eyes.

This was HUGE for me. I also asked her for feedback each time she came by.

I realized I need an art coach who I can send images or work in progress & get honest appraisal and/or suggestions.

The teacher I took the Feb class from will do this. Summoning my courage, as I mostly just want to have fun!

It also helped me with my food. Focusing on techniques I was using & re-implementing them.

It’s a really great model. Thank you again.
  • themedalist
    Options
    A wonderful update, @MadisonMolly2017!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I just completed my first 6 week StepBet and I’m a big fan. Tomorrow I’ll get the initial $40 I paid to play this session returned plus about $6, my share of the winners pot. I’m going to start another game this week.

Having to put $40 down knowing that if I don’t meet my daily step targets I will lose the $40 is a game changer. I saw this in myself and quite a few other players said the same thing. It doesn’t rely on motivation, intentions, or hopes. Only daily actions determine whether you lose the $40 or have it returned at the end of the session. I also liked that my step targets are customized, based on my past walking. The daily targets StepBet established for me were a gentle increase, but all very do-able. You all know how strongly I feel that habits need to be sustainable. These goals are.

One woman was just gushing with enthusiasm: “I’ve tried so many different exercise apps and every time I’ve gone back to my old lethargic habits. My weight and stamina aren’t what I want them to be, but I’m noticing significant changes compared to Week 1. Seeing the community help each other with tips and encouragement week by week made me really happy, even if I didn’t interact with too many posts myself.”

If you are interested in trying this yourself, the new game I’m signing up for is “Walk to Win”. It starts tomorrow, March 25 and concludes May 5. Anyone can join the first warmup week as it’s a practice week and no one gets eliminated. But starting April 1, got to meet those daily targets as it’s GAME ON!

l61hldmeebvk.jpeg
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    @themedalist Wow! Congrats on meeting your goal! Being accountable to others in some way always seems to increase my motivation to do better. And I hate losing money when I don’t have to! It sounds like StepBet would be helpful in keeping that initial motivation up. Do they use your Fitbit or other device stats to use as a baseline? Instead of wishing you good luck on the next challenge (luck has very little, if anything, to do with success), I’m going to wish you continued motivation and success. I have my annual doctor’s visit scheduled the first week in May. And I just finished reading Younger Next Year and planned on walking more now that it’s warmed up outside. Maybe the stars are lining up!!
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @themedalist Wow! Congrats on meeting your goal! Being accountable to others in some way always seems to increase my motivation to do better. And I hate losing money when I don’t have to! It sounds like StepBet would be helpful in keeping that initial motivation up. Do they use your Fitbit or other device stats to use as a baseline? Instead of wishing you good luck on the next challenge (luck has very little, if anything, to do with success), I’m going to wish you continued motivation and success. I have my annual doctor’s visit scheduled the first week in May. And I just finished reading Younger Next Year and planned on walking more now that it’s warmed up outside. Maybe the stars are lining up!!

@nebslp, Yes, StepBet will use your Fitbit or another tracking device to determine your baseline and daily steps during the game. Would love to see you there!

Yes, the community support and accountability is a huge factor. Couple that with the commitment of hard-earned money and you’ve got a winning recipe for change!

I’ve read repeatedly that social scientists have found that people are much more motivated to act by a fear of losing something than by the potential for gaining something, even though they’re two sides of the same coin. This is my first experience testing that observation and I think it has merits!