This March I Will...

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited March 2019 in Social Groups
tksrem9uphjb.jpg

Oh yes. Oh yes! Oh YES! It's March!

As of this posting, there are 19 days, 20 hours, and 33 minutes until the official start of Spring. I am more than a little excited (can you tell?). The first outdoor walk on muddy, partially frozen but snow-free ground will be downright glorious and I can't wait! March is the gamechanger month.

What's your goal for this month and what's your plan for achieving it? Let's choose a goal, scope out a plan, and get to it. We can do it!

If you are joining us for the first time, welcome! We are glad you are here. Let us know what your goal is and how we can help. And if you're joining us midway through the month, you don't have to wait for April. If you're looking for ideas, our list of previous challenges may be useful.

Try to frame your goal along these lines:

1. My goal for this month (This March I will...")
2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal
3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit
4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible)
5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit?
6. What help do you need from us?
7. What does success look like to you at the end of March?

This is going to be a fantastic month!

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    My goal was inspired by an article @themedalist shared with me. Thanks Denise! Also, the posts of @MadisonMolly2017 and @nebslp have encouraged me to push myself to do what I love.

1. This March I will read a poem and write a poem every day.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal. I will put a poetry anthology beside my chair. I might also download a book of poems for my device. That way I’ll have it available when I have time to read it. I’ll create a document on my device for my poems.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit. After I finish my coffee in the morning I’ll read a poem.
    4. How often will you do your new habit: Daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Enjoying the poetry is a reward in itself. But will say when I write a poem, now this event/image will stay with me for ever.
    6. What help do you need from us? Cheer me on
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of March? I’ll have read 31 poems (or more) and have written the same number.

Day 1 I read “Silence” by Edgar Lee Masters and wrote a poem I called “Multi Medium.”
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,016 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    My goal was inspired by an article @themedalist shared with me. Thanks Denise! Also, the posts of @MadisonMolly2017 and @nebslp have encouraged me to push myself to do what I love.

1. This March I will read a poem and write a poem every day.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal. I will put a poetry anthology beside my chair. I might also download a book of poems for my device. That way I’ll have it available when I have time to read it. I’ll create a document on my device for my poems.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit. After I finish my coffee in the morning I’ll read a poem.
    4. How often will you do your new habit: Daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Enjoying the poetry is a reward in itself. But will say when I write a poem, now this event/image will stay with me for ever.
    6. What help do you need from us? Cheer me on
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of March? I’ll have read 31 poems (or more) and have written the same number.

Day 1 I read “Silence” by Edgar Lee Masters and wrote a poem I called “Multi Medium.”

@77tes
    Wow! Your happiness shines through!
    I’d love to read a poem you write when & if you feel like sharing!

Just wonderful! I’m smiling wide!
  • themedalist
    edited March 2019
    Options
    We are off to a great start with our March goals!

@MadisonMolly2017, I really like how specific you are with your meal planning in terms of increasing your vegetables and beans intake. Those are great goals!

@clynns54, Accurate food logging was the single greatest contributor to my weight loss. It far outweighed anything else that I did. Good for you for making it a priority this month. I hope you’ll reap similar benefits.

@PinkyPan1, water is always a great goal and it’s usually something that slips from our focus pretty easily. And I got a big laugh out of rewarding yourself with a cup of hot tea. Great idea,

@77tes, as Madison said, your enthusiasm for your poetry goal come shining through and I think it’s a wonderful goal. Happiness is a big part of our health and wellness. When you have your poems in a shareable state, please do post them. I’m looking forward to that!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    @77tes I love your goal this month! I'm excited to read one you've written if and when you feel ready to share! Your post made me smile this morning! :heart:
  • themedalist
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I had a pretty good first night. I didn’t take a shower until 10 PM and I didn’t go to bed until 11:30. It’s tougher for me on a work day. We have a big meeting next week and there is a lot of prep work to be done. As a result, I was more sedentary than usual and in order to stay competitive in my StepBet game, I had a lot of walking to do in the evening. That also put a squeeze on my pre-bedtime routine. No matter, it’s a work in progess. I’m a work in progress as we all are! My shower and bedtime targets are just aids. My real goal is to get more sleep. Ultimately I’d like to be getting 6 1/2 to 7 hours of sleep every night. Last night it was 6 hours 17 minutes. Better! Too often I am at 5 hours 50 minutes or thereabouts and that just isn’t enough. What I took away from our Summer of Sleep challenge last summer is to not worry about the nitty-gritty details. I’m not going to concern myself with how much REM sleep I get or light sleep or deep sleep or anything like that. I’m not sure those are controllable anyway. What Is within my control and has a big impact on sleep duration and quality is when I go to bed. Granted it’s a “Duh!“ observation, but I know I often ignore things that are obvious and I should do.

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly torn between goals this month. I want to get up earlier in the morning, I want to be more faithful journaling food, I want to preplan meals and pre-log, I want to drink more water and I want to be more active. Every one of these goals is important! How do you narrow them down? I'm in such a funk (winter makes me so depressed)!

So...I guess I will go back to MFP basics this month instead of continuing February's goals. If I manage to accomplish to the other goals as well, it will be a bonus. But for me, I know my body really truly is what I eat and I have to get that under control!

March's Focus:
    1. My goal for this month is to journal every bite I eat. Faithfully. Every single bite, down to the nibble.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: When I pack my lunch, I will scan barcodes of serviings with my food right away. I will grab my phone and journal before I eat anything not already scanned in.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: I will have intermittent alarms set on my phone asking me throughout the day if I have logged my food.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) Daily.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? I will draw a star on the date on our kitchen calendar and color it with yellow highlighter. The visual will make me feel happy and will hold me accountable to others in the house.
    6. What help do you need from us? Perhaps If you notice I'm not doing well, give me a nudge or share a tip you use(d) to turn this into a habit.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of March? 30 stars on the calendar (-1 day because I failed miserably yesterday. It was pizza and a movie night with my husband.) Also, I should be able to look at my month in review and see which foods I'm eating in excess or which foods may be contributing to my weight and not feeling "healthy". I'm actually really looking forward to seriously analyzing this. I am a visual, data-driven person.

Welcome March! Welcome Spring! Welcome Daffodils and Tulips peaking through the thawing ground! Cya February...

:flowerforyou:
  • 77tes
    Options
    @clynns54 and @PackerFanInGB logging is so important, so great goal. I’ve also been working on reducing the fats in my diet, so I’ve been trying to log everything faithfully like you. I find it helps to prelog for the next day, that way I’ve got a clear idea of what I’m eating. If I eat something different, then I can add or delete. But otherwise I’m set. I do copy meals from yesterday or the day before a lot, so that makes logging easier.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    @jroslyn To me your post was anything but superficial or narcissistic! Finding things that help you feel good about yourself is important in order to keep moving toward your goals. My daughter gave me Kiehl’s ultra facial cleanser and using that with Nutragena triple age repair moisturizer with sunscreen every day makes me feel like I’m taking care of myself in one small way. Only buying clothes that I love and giving away things I don’t love is another. Doing something you enjoy every day may feel self-indulgent. But we are all creative people in one way or another whether that’s with music, art, cooking, sewing, writing, or coming up with a new hairstyle or makeup. It’s essential that we don’t ignore that side of ourselves or berate ourselves when we do something that’s not seen by others as productive. Getting lost in a project is a great form of therapy!

Congrats on logging food in spite of your electricity issues. Anyone who’s been through that knows what a tough situation that is. Your persistence shows you have a deep commitment to yourself, and that’s inspiring to me.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Daily intake of water

(3-1) 4 bottles
    (3-2) 6 bottles
  • 77tes
    Options
    @jroslyn , I agree with @nebslp , no way is your goal superficial or narcissistic! In fact, one of the important components of my weight loss was buying a new wardrobe. I had been wearing old, I’ll-fitting, and worn out clothes because I wanted to lose weight when I decided to dress the body I had. Wearing nice close boosted my confidence, and while logging and being more active did the work, changing my attitude was important. So, start a new skin care regime, get a cute haircut, or buy some new clothes. Reward yourself for losing those 10 pounds and love the body that did it!

@themedalist , I like your plan about getting more sleep. I also struggle with sleep on work days. Getting to bed earlier is the key. Let the REMs figure it out for themselves.

Day 3 I read “from The Task, Book V: The Winter Morning Walk” by William Cowper (I also read some biographical background about Cowper) and wrote a short poem called “Prayer” or perhaps I’ll title it “Everything I Know about Prayer I Learned from My Dog.”
  • 77tes
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    I did something tonight that I've never done since I bought my piano 46 years ago. I played the piano for about 1/2 hour (it felt like only a few minutes) while my husband was home watching tv in the other room. It was amazing! I always wait until he's gone to play so I wouldn't interfere with his tv viewing so it's not often that I play. My son was here yesterday and we talked music...he's teaching himself to play the piano with a little help from his mom 😀 and we both dabble at playing the guitar. Today's conversation here on MFP about taking care of oneself spurred me on to do what I love when I wanted to do it and not put limitations on myself. I also worked on binding a quilt I made for my grandson and will finish that up tomorrow. Now I'm going to learn how to view photos on my tv from my computer (fingers crossed) or go to bed if it's too complicated! This has been an awesome day and I'm pretty exhausted. Eating has not been great but I will log tomorrow since that seems to be so important in changing habits. Have a great week ahead!

I love that you played the piano when husband was home. Brava! It sounds like you had a great day!
  • 77tes
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    Daily intake of water

(3-1) 4 bottles
    (3-2) 6 bottles

That averages to 5 a day. :smiley: