WAIST AWAYS - March 2019

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,451 Member
    For logging, I combine a relatively stable list of items and combos (minimal hunting through the database) with treating logging as playing a daily game called "Go For The Green".

(It helps immensely that I have a limited social life, so eating out is rare and booked well in advance .... and we don't make a lot of mixed-ingredient recipes, although I believe there is a good tutorial on the "Getting Started Page" that includes video of how to enter / adapt ingredient lists for personal recipes on the fly)

Any time I am having something less than routine (like we are making pizza at home tonight, and Hubby baked scones earlier this week), I start with entering the special "high-point item", then work backwards and around it to end up as close to one side or the other (less than 5=>10 points) either side of pre-exercise calories.

After my daily exercise is logged, Evening Snack can vary (depending on how many points I have to work with), to try and leave ~ 100 "in the bank". I still "win the day" if I eat all the exercise calories right up to "zero" (but not over!) because of special circumstances like a fancy-restaurant meal out for a birthday or anniversary.

Framing it as a game (instead of a chore) helps immensely. If I end up in the red only 3 (4 MAX) times in the month, I have "won the Monthly (virtual) Grand Prix". Non-food rewards may result o:) ..... scale victories definitely show up! B)
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,271 Member
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    Foodie Friday.
    • craving greasy?
    • salty?
    • crunchy-like-chips?
    • sweet?
    • slippery-smooth-like ice-cream?
    What substitutes for any of the above have you discovered and could recommend?

What do you find a “harder to resist / need to reserve for special-treat status” item?

It all starts in the grocery store. Bring the team's voices in with you to help resist the things you KNOW will make you unhappy if you eat them. Even if you're happy while you eat them.

Have the substitutes on your shopping list!
    Here are a few of my faves:
    ice cream - one of my downfalls if it is in the house - so I make sorbet. No dairy, just fruit and as little sugar as I can get away with depending on the fruit. I bought a little inexpensive ice-cream maker and do sorbet regularly as fruit comes into season. It has no fat, and I don't worry too much about the sugar. It is intense, so a little goes a long way. It is crazy delicious. Mango-cranberry. Blueberry-lemon. Cranberry-lemon. You can start with frozen fruit if the fresh isn't available - just cook the fruits with water and some sugar and other flavours (rosemary! lime!), throw it all in the blender until super smooth, and process in the ice cream maker. I have a cheap one that works just fine.

Crunchy, salty - weirdly enough, pickles. If you like pickles, it really works.

General munchies - I have mentioned this before, but a peeled grapefruit is sometimes just the trick. Peeling it takes time, and the sour/sweet combo is really satisfying.

Sweet/slightly fatty - an apple (I like granny smith, but any will do) in thin sections, smeared with sunflower butter.
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    edited March 2019
    b6cmy55dawbg.jpeg
    Foodie Friday
    Here is the Seitan recipe. Really easy.

Yes, it can be stored in the fridge for a couple of days. Might get mouldy after that I guess. Recipe says it can be frozen for up to 2 weeks. I am planning to make another batch today or tomorrow.

4 servings

Wet ingredients
    1-1/2 c cold vegetable broth
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated with a Microplane grater
    3 tbsp soy sauce ( I used low sodium)
    1 tbsp olive oil
    3 tbsp tomato paste

Dry ingredients
    1-3/4 c vital gluten flour. Do not use regular flour. Vital wheat gluten is like a super-powered flour that is all gluten and very little starch. It’s not technically flour itself, but it’s made from wheat flour that has been hydrated to activate the gluten and then processed to remove everything but that gluten. It’s then dried and ground back into a powder.
    1/4 c chickpea flour. I used almond flour as we are allergic to chickpeas. Again this is great for protein.
    1/4 c nutritional yeast
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp ground cumin.

I took out coriander and cumin, added more garlic, and put in dried rosemary and oregano.
    • Preheat oven to 350.
    • Put wet ingredients together and whisk in a bowl.
    • Stir together dry ingredients well.
    • Make a well/depression in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixing bowl.
    • Use a spatula to stir it together, a moist dough will form.
    • Once the wet is fully absorbed into the dry, turn the dough out onto your work surface and kneed like bread for 2-3 minutes.
    • Let it rest for 10 minutes.
    • Divide it into four portions and shape into ovals about 3/4 inch thick.
    • Put each oval onto a piece of tin foil (oil the tin foil with a bit of olive oil spray first). Fold it up into individual packets. Leave a good amount of space around each piece for expansion in the oven.
    • Put the pouches directly on the middle oven rack and bake for 32-34 mins. I did it for 34.
    • Cool pouches on the counter until they reach room temperature.
    • If you are going to store it, you can keep it in the foil and put in an airtight container.
    • I was out of foil (I am not a fan of the stuff anyway).. I used parchment, and it worked fine.

304 calories, 9g fat, 16.2g carb, 40.7g protein. It is not a complete protein, so better if you eat it with some beans (unless you cook it with chickpea flour then my guess is that it is pretty good).

I had a few pieces as a snack after I baked it, and the rest of my serving for dinner.

It is best on second day apparently, but we enjoyed it immensely on first.
    If you like, you can crisp it up a little before serving by spraying with some olive oil and reheating.

• BMcC9
    For the Seitan .... what might I substitute for the garlic? (NO garlic fans in our house .... and BFF I want to pass recipe to found out (the hard way some time ago) that garlic triggers her bad migraines.
  • Connie7355
    Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
    Connie7355
    Week 2
    PW: 197.2
    CW: 197
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    For the Seitan .... what might I substitute for the garlic? (NO garlic fans in our house .... and BFF I want to pass recipe to found out (the hard way some time ago) that garlic triggers her bad migraines.

I think you can pretty safely leave it out. If you’re not used to eating garlic I don’t think you will miss it.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Check in for Thurs
    CW 217.8 think this is high (hopefully) from sodium bloat due to ramen soup on wed.
  • Bear479
    Bear479 Posts: 58 Member
    Bear479
    Week2
    Pw 169
    Cw 170
  • BMcC9
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    WEEK 3 CHALLENGES
    MOD CHALLENGE - MOTIVATION
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10732997/week-3-mod-challenge-motivation#latest
    TEAM CHALLENGE - BROUGHT TO YOU BY SHRINKING ASSETS
    SELF LOVE
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10732996/week-3-team-challenge-self-love#latest

Both challenges were designed to help keep you going and enjoy the journey you are on. Please take a look and enjoy WEEK 3 Challenges!

I have been to both and already some very inspiring and insightful posts are showing up. Bookmark them both and check back regularly to see what's been added. Add something yourself.
  • martinesther88
    martinesther88 Posts: 134 Member
    Steps 3/15- 12,093
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    MARCH GOALS!

Name: Mari

Your Personal Challenge:

FITNESS: Complete 5 - 30 minute workouts this week. Any form of workout counts. 🏋🏻‍♀️🏋🏻‍♀️

NUTRITION: Stay on or under allowed calories at least 5 days this week. 🍎🍎

HYDRATION: Drink 2 liters of water every single day!!!! 💧

SELF-CARE: Take some time for yourself and read a little each day. 📖

Week 1:

Sun - 🏋🏻‍♀️🍎💧📖
    Mon - 💧📖
    Tue - 💧📖
    Wed - 🏋🏻‍♀️🍎💧📖
    Thu - 💧📖
    Fri - 🏋🏻‍♀️🍎💧📖
    Sat -

STEP CHALLENGE:

Sun - 13,097
    Mon - 8,069
    Tue - 10,747
    Wed - 15,483
    Thu - 6,900
    Fri - 13,127
    Sat -

DAILY REFLECTIONS:

Been super busy with party planning this week and getting things ready for our guests to arrive starting next Wednesday. Did much better with my steps this week. A bit bette with exercise. Slightly better with food. Every small improvement is helping me reach my goals right. Down 1.6 lbs this weeks which puts me in the green for week 2. My birthday is coming up this Wednesday. The big 4-0! Never felt younger!! I do hope I can manage to keep losing this month and that all my festivities and traveling won’t throw me off track.

twujunin31yw.jpg

Week 1 - 🍀
    Week 2 - 🍀
    Week 3 -
    Week 4 -
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,322 Member
    edited March 2019
    micki48
    Week 2
    PW 205
    CW 205.2

Steps

Sunday 7,768
    Monday 8,233
    Tuesday 9,324
    Wednesday 8,013
    Thursday 9,114
    Friday 4,613 (I did have my Fitbit off for about three hours but boo)
    Saturday

Boo! This is the first time I’ve had any gain since the new year. It figures that it’s the month that I committed to stay in the green. I still commit to the weight loss, and I know 2/10ths of a pound isn’t much, but boo. I guess the up side is I know I didn’t get to the gym as much. I had two glasses of wine last night after none for a long while, steps were lower, and calories were higher, and water wasn’t consistent. Scales stink. They are NOT the only way to have our success.
  • treebek
    treebek Posts: 261 Member
    micki48 wrote: »
    Boo! This is the first time I’ve had any gain since the new year. It figures that it’s the month that I committed to stay in the green. I still commit to the weight loss, and I know 2/10ths of a pound isn’t much, but boo. I guess the up side is I know I didn’t get to the gym as much. I had two glasses of wine last night after none for a long while, steps were lower, and calories were higher, and water wasn’t consistent. Scales stink. They are NOT the only way to have our success.

I hate it when the scale doesn’t cooperate. I had the same thing last week, up .2 pounds. I was so mad! Just stay determined and focused and next week you’ll kick the scale’s butt!

• jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    It is never easy! After months of having no real issues with cravings, the last 2 days have been beyond awful. Spending some time to take a look and see what is going on. I know that I fell almost 2 pounds below lower maintenance range. Also exercise has been pretty high. Plus, have been struggling with cold/bronchitis and have not been sleeping well. So ... quite a few variables.

Will be upping calories a bit. Also, will be moderating my gym schedule a bit (planning 4 days on, one off ... instead if 6-1). Riding schedule and home exercise (planks, stretches, and 1-minute movement/hour) remain the same, so I will have a min of 60 minutes of exercise a day. We'll see how these adjustments work out.

I know how to lose weight. But this maintenance thing is a new learning curve!
  • leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 840 Member
    Username: leni1us
    Week 2
    Weigh in Day, Friday (sorry, I'm late)
    PW: 162.1
    CW: 163.0 - Going the wrong way! Too much salt at dinner last night....I hope!
  • micki48
    treebek wrote: »

I hate it when the scale doesn’t cooperate. I had the same thing last week, up .2 pounds. I was so mad! Just stay determined and focused and next week you’ll kick the scale’s butt!

@treebek Thanks for the support. It means a lot to me. I just looked at my data and it’s clear how this week was different. I’m determined to make this week better/more on target.

I noticed I’m way below average weekly for potassium. Any suggestions for foods high in potassium besides bananas? My macros are fairly good except my fat is always higher than the goal because I eat a lot of monos like nuts, avocado and olive oil. However, this week’s big no no was LARGE fries from McDonald’s. I was only going to get a small, but hubby got large and I mindlessly ate them while standing in my kitchen talking to my sister on the phone. I won’t do that again. Grace over guilt.
  • treebek
    treebek Posts: 261 Member
    @micki48 mushrooms are high in potassium! Plus, fun fact, they are one of the only food sources for vitamin D. Plus they are low cal :smile: (love me some portabellas!)

Or if you just can’t do mushrooms, then bok Choy or spinach are also good sources of potassium.
  • AmyRobF
    AmyRobF Posts: 97 Member
    You still did great! The .2 isn’t much at all! I feel your pain eating to eat. I took Alyssa to the doctor and it took forever and the kids and I were so hungry I downed some Taco Johns and then got home and ate cookies and chips and dip. I am back on track. Drinking my water. We got this my lovely (favorite) Aunt!

P.S.Junk food is sooooo good I have a hard tome eating it in moderation.

micki48
    Week 2
    PW 205
    CW 205.2

Steps

Sunday 7,768
    Monday 8,233
    Tuesday 9,324
    Wednesday 8,013
    Thursday 9,114
    Friday 4,613 (I did have my Fitbit off for about three hours but boo)
    Saturday

• jugar
    Saturday is here already - how does that happen so fast? End of week 2.

Well, Team Waistaways, this week has not been one of our finer efforts. Last week we collectively lost over 30 pounds. This week - 5.9, with only 2 people not yet reporting (not counting the people who also did not weigh in last week). It is a good time to look at the data. What was different? What could be tweaked?

The gains were not big! They will turn back into losses with small changes, and a resurgence of energy and commitment. Get onto those Week 3 challenges - they are inspiring. Come in here and post before eating those french fries! I know that is not always possible, but every effort to derail the derailments helps.

We will get more green - we will be like the horse that charges out fast, falters for a bit, and then surges forward again to catch up. It will feel so good. You know it will :smiley:
  • Kittu125
    Kittu125 Posts: 360 Member
    @jugar not a good week for me either. Hopefully will pick up this week. I have a gain too this week. It’s possible it’s because of the last night eating too. Next month I will change my weigh in day to Friday as my Friday night parties are not helping. Here are this week stats with steps.
    Weigh-in Day = Saturday
    Starting Weight = 190 as if 2/1/19
    Week 1 = 188.2lbs
    Week 2 = 187.4 lbs
    Week 3 = 187.2lbs
    Week 4 - March 2nd- 185.2
    Week5- March 9th- 184lbs
    Week6- March 16th- 184.8lbs
    Steps for week
    3/10-Sunday-450- forgot to wear fitbit
    3/11-11811
    3/12-5971
    3/13-10020
    3/14-10033
    3/15-10218
    3/16-will post later today
  • jugar
    @Kittu125 - do you still have your steps for March 9th (last Saturday)? It is the only day that is missing from your otherwise stellar stepping record!
  • leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 840 Member
    Steps
    3/14 11,561
    3/15 9,015
  • micki48
    treebek wrote: »
    @micki48 mushrooms are high in potassium! Plus, fun fact, they are one of the only food sources for vitamin D. Plus they are low cal :smile: (love me some portabellas!)

Or if you just can’t do mushrooms, then bok Choy or spinach are also good sources of potassium.

I love mushrooms so I’ll increase those in my menu. I’m fine with spinach. Guess I need to add more. I don’t think I’ve ever had bok choy. Do you have a favorite way to cook it?

@AmyRobF it IS hard to change our mindset from years of snacking. But we can do it. One little victory at a time.

Today, I am back on track. Hubby offered me a cookie while we were out shopping. After finding out it was 100 calories, I decided it wasn’t worth the calories. I came home put away groceries and opted for strawberries. I had 5 and the were so satisfying.

BUT, except for steps during my day, I haven’t done any specific exercise besides cleaning today. And it’s 8:30 so...maybe not tonight. I don’t know.
  • sue_01
    sue_01 Posts: 3,018 Member
    March Steps:

1--8,337
    2--4,221
    3--8,094
    4--11,842
    5--11,300
    6--11,450
    7--11,000
    8--11,790
    9-6,463
    10- 5,200
    11-7,100
    12-6,500
    13-6,200
    14-4,500
    15-4,526
    16-8,847
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    jugar wrote: »
    I know we said we're doing something different with the step challenge this month, but I didn't see a spreadsheet for it, neither did I see a response to my post early yesterday morning with my steps for last week.

Sorry I have been just checking them off (look for an "insightful"), and not writing messages. All the steps are in - they are just on our normal spreadsheet for the month. Keep on scrolling down and you'll see them in all their glory! I am back home at last as of late last night, and should be able to communicate more.

Thanks @jugar and welcome home! :smiley:
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    username = @evangsimmons170

STEP CHALLENGE:

03/11/19                4,534 
    03/12/19                4,600 
    03/13/19                4,649 
    03/14/19                6,760 
    03/15/19             12,716 
    03/16/19                4,839 
This discussion has been closed.